HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI takes Thomas Hickey

Old
01-15-2013, 02:23 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
What a BUST!

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Columbus has a ton of young puck movers already.
From what i gather, hes more of a shutdown guy.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
From what i gather, hes more of a shutdown guy.
Hickey stopped being a puck mover like two years go. He had to evolve his game if he was ever going to get a shot.

Think Rob Scuderi type game.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
The fact that he never got an opportunity speaks volume to his ability. Everyone was passing him up the depth chart. Jack Johnson getting traded didn't even get him a call up even though that's the exact role he would have been gunning for.
Lets take a bunch of numbers.

10,8,8,7,7,7. And 6. And 1.

6 is the lesser of all of the numbers preceding it.
1 is also the lesser of these other numbers preceeding it.
Are 6 and 1 of similar value?

If you answer no, than you should be able to understand why Hickey hasn't seen NHL action with the Kings yet, in spite of whatever talent he does indeed posess.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post

If you answer no, than you should be able to understand why Hickey hasn't seen NHL action with the Kings yet, in spite of whatever talent he does indeed posess.

Is this gonna be on the test???

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
rajuabju

Hickey is a classic example of someone who can benefit from a change in scenery.

As a Kings fan, sucks we wasted such a high pick on him. But that was a long time ago and whats done is done. I've been saying it for 2 years, that Hickey had NO future with the Kings, simply due to our depth at the position.

Too bad we couldnt even get a late round pick for him, but it is what it is.

Best of luck to him.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Good for the Islanders. Low risk , high reward ..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kingsfan1

Isles just got a new fan. I will follow just to see how Hickey is doing.

This kid is very underrated , he will be a great defenseman. I have followed him in every league he has played and the kid is just getting consistent .

He pots 7 goals along with like 11 assists.

Great pik up for Isles , sad to see him go

Kingsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post

If you answer no, than you should be able to understand why Hickey hasn't seen NHL action with the Kings yet.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Do you think Hickey is a good player but the Kings have 8 superstars on Defense so he's just been screwed out by a numbers game? I think that's a stretch. If Hickey were an NHL quality Defenseman he would have at least had a look. At this point it's questionable if Hickey plays 100 NHL games in his career. Every draft class there's a few guys who just don't pan out and are complete busts.

Do you recall a guy named Daniel Tkaczuk? That's the kind of career Hickey is going to have.

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
It's not the first time LA has overseen a prospect bust.
No offense - but that really comes across like a "douchy" comment.

EVERY team has seen prospects busts. It's only on HF that every 4th round pick is destined to turn into a #1 d-man or 1st line forward. Even in the lottery picks - there are PLENTY of guys who never have NHL careers. Going back to your Oilers - Jason Bonsignore was a 4th overall. Also, my Hawks drafted Barker 3rd overall, and it's not like those players are outliers. Every team has top 10 picks that didn't develop.

I am surprised that the Oilers didn't take a shot with Hickey. CLM has a pretty good blueline, and I can see why they wouldn't want to add another young guys to the mix when they already have Moore & Savard.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:42 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan1 View Post
Isles just got a new fan. I will follow just to see how Hickey is doing.

This kid is very underrated , he will be a great defenseman. I have followed him in every league he has played and the kid is just getting consistent .

He pots 7 goals along with like 11 assists.

Great pik up for Isles , sad to see him go
Glad to have you

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Yog S'loth

Hickey: Supposed to be the next Scott Niedermeyer; wasn't even the next Scott Scissons.

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:51 PM
ilikeblocks

It's so weird to see the Isles consistently making smart moves. I can't wait until they mesh, they could be scary.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:58 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Do you think Hickey is a good player but the Kings have 8 superstars on Defense so he's just been screwed out by a numbers game? I think that's a stretch. If Hickey were an NHL quality Defenseman he would have at least had a look. At this point it's questionable if Hickey plays 100 NHL games in his career. Every draft class there's a few guys who just don't pan out and are complete busts.

Do you recall a guy named Daniel Tkaczuk? That's the kind of career Hickey is going to have.
it could go that way, or at 23 he can get a shot with the isles and show what he has at this level. Its not like hes 28/29 yrs old, hes still a young player. Maybe he learns a bit with Streit there, who is a smart two way defenseman. Odds are he gets almost half of those 100 games youre saying he may not play, this season with the isles. I guess well just see how fast he gets to LI and how the rest of the week at camp goes

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
KingCanadain1976

well i wish i could say i didnt see it coming but i did. Hickey impressed me when he was playing on team Canada. I was hoping he would have at least seen a game in a kings uniform. Sad to see him go especially for free. I think this is becoming a trend letting good players go for nothing ( see purcell boyle molson etc ) Kings should be getting something for all the time and development of players like hickey. The islanders will have another viewer to there games as i will follow Hickey developement. Best of luck Thomas Hickey hope you flourish with them.

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Kershaw

I don't see much reward in an undersized non offensve, mediocre defensive defenseman.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I don't see much reward in an undersized non offensve, mediocre defensive defenseman.
Why not take the risk and try to get a reward? Guy was a top 5 pick, even though he wasn't suppose to be still he was and he has potential and at 23 he's still young and is worth a shot at NHL level. Could turn out to be a grabner type pickup for islanders

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
Why not take the risk and try to get a reward? Guy was a top 5 pick, even though he wasn't suppose to be still he was and he has potential and at 23 he's still young and is worth a shot at NHL level. Could turn out to be a grabner type pickup for islanders
They can take a risk on him for sure. But he'll cost the team probably on the scoresheet. Islanders continue to swell in mediocrity.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
It's so weird to see the Isles consistently making smart moves. I can't wait until they mesh, they could be scary.
Snow is employing the "throw enough **** at the wall and hope it sticks" game. Picking up Finley and Hickey were no-brainers for a bad franchise. You hope that they can contribute at the NHL level and offer something. I would've done the same in Snow's position.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
He never should've been a top 5 pick. He was never projected there and it was completely out of the blue.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog S'loth View Post
Hickey: Supposed to be the next Scott Niedermeyer; wasn't even the next Scott Scissons.
Well hold off on the Scott Scissons comment, he is going to the Islanders. He could be Scott Scissons Part 2 in the same uniform

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
They can take a risk on him for sure. But he'll cost the team probably on the scoresheet. Islanders continue to swell in mediocrity.
Not necessarily because they are already short on defenseman with visnovsky still not on the team and they were going to use Landry who had just as little experience so why not put hickey in and hope he plays well? It honestly can only help because its not like he's taking time away from someone who has nhl experience. Then when Visnovsky finally shows up (if he does) and they don't like his play, put him back on waivers.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He never should've been a top 5 pick. He was never projected there and it was completely out of the blue.
I know that...I said that in my post but all I'm saying is he is still worth a shot

Old
01-15-2013, 03:21 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
I know that...I said that in my post but all I'm saying is he is still worth a shot
I don't disagree. I think it's a fine pick-up for a team that can't get UFAs to sign there. Have to try something and see if it works. And no harm in taking a shot at a younger guy and hoping he can find his game in the NHL. He'd be a NHL d-man on very few teams, so I feel good for Hickey to get his shot as well.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Not necessarily because they are already short on defenseman with visnovsky still not on the team and they were going to use Landry who had just as little experience so why not put hickey in and hope he plays well? It honestly can only help because its not like he's taking time away from someone who has nhl experience. Then when Visnovsky finally shows up (if he does) and they don't like his play, put him back on waivers.
Key word. Hope. Banking on an average AHL player to play big minutes on a NHL roster is a recipe for disaster.