HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI takes Thomas Hickey

Old
01-15-2013, 02:24 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Key word. Hope. Banking on an average AHL player to play big minutes on a NHL roster is a recipe for disaster.
Is he really being counted on to play big minutes? I would be surprised if that were the case.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Key word. Hope. Banking on an average AHL player to play big minutes on a NHL roster is a recipe for disaster.
The NYI are not counting on Hickey to play 20+ minutes a night....

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:27 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
yes because 12 minutes a game is such big minutes, and the kings fans seem to like him and he is a good skater and there are a lot of undersized dmen that get the job done too

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:28 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
yes because 12 minutes a game is such big minutes, and the kings fans seem to like him and he is a good skater and there are a lot of undersized dmen that get the job done too
Kings fans are more upset that they wasted a pick on the bum than anything else, I'd say.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Whose asking him to play big minutes as a 3rd pairing dman?

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:31 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Big minutes? He might end up being the #7. No one is banking anything on Hickey. It's another body. Plain and simple.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:31 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Kings fans are more upset that they wasted a pick on the bum than anything else, I'd say.
Not really, I actually like Hickey. Kings fan here.

It's not Hickey's fault Dean Lombardi picked him 4th overall.

Had Hickey gone were he was projected 15 to 25th no one would care, this thread probably wouldn't have so much traffic.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:33 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
actually most seem to think he came in as a PMD, got hurt and missed most of two seasons, then came back and worked on being a defense first defenseman.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:33 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Not really, I actually like Hickey. Kings fan here.

It's not Hickey's fault Dean Lombardi picked him 4th overall.

Had Hickey gone were he was projected 15 to 25th no one would care, this thread probably wouldn't have so much traffic.
Well, that's obvious and I already wrote that before. It was a moronic pick that your fans still complain about (and I don't blame them -- it was idiotic at the time and looks even worse today).

There's a reason Hickey, as a high draft pick, never made the Kings. It's not because he has much to offer. He never even got a cup of coffee. Not even one of those little tiny cups.

I don't blame the Kings for not using him. There's not much of a need for short, weak defensemen who can't contribute much offensively.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
BerSTUzzi

Bettman sure was right about NHL fans being some of the most loyal, we have 6 pages going on how the Islanders picked up someone on the waiver wire

BerSTUzzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:34 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
actually most seem to think he came in as a PMD, got hurt and missed most of two seasons, then came back and worked on being a defense first defenseman.
Perhaps he should've worked on a perceived strength since there aren't many 5'10 d-men out there that can contribute much if they aren't playing an offensive game.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
This is a great move for NYI he was the most consistent defenseman for the monarchs. This is a good gamble to take.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:39 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Perhaps he should've worked on a perceived strength since there aren't many 5'10 d-men out there that can contribute much if they aren't playing an offensive game.
This is what confuses me about Hickey. Not sure what kind of future you have at the NHL level as a 5'10 defenseman who doesn't put up points. If he's actually closer to 6'0(which I've seen some people post) he could end up being be OK. But 5'10? Not sure if you can make a living as a defensive d-man with that kind of build.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
They can take a risk on him for sure. But he'll cost the team probably on the scoresheet. Islanders continue to swell in mediocrity.
Umm... Compared the alternative (Landry? Wishart?), he'll cost us absolutely nothing.

Seriously, look at what we've had to work with. Jack Hillen. Freddy Meyer IV. Mike Friggin' Mottau.

Sounds to me like he's a replacement for Calvin De Haan - a heady guy with no notable physical talents who was bound to spend time with the big club before he hurt his shoulder... again.

There's little reason to spend more assets to get players at this point. Our first rounder is too valuable. We don't have a 2nd round pick (Lube-O), so we shouldn't trade our 3rd and that's not enough to get the player we want, anyway.

We've got Reinhart and Mayfield on the way. Matt Donovan needs just a little more polishing. Others are further off.

Honestly, why doesn't the league just send Ryan Whitney over to the Isles. He fits our profile: top 5 pick, moves the puck well, is injured most of the time.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:43 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
This is what confuses me about Hickey. Not sure what kind of future you have at the NHL level as a 5'10 defenseman who doesn't put up points. If he's actually closer to 6'0(which I've seen some people post) he could end up being be OK. But 5'10? Not sure if you can make a living as a defensive d-man with that kind of build.
Meet Hickey in person , He is 6ft about 190 to 195. These website's have his Jr size listed.

That was Five years ago.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:43 PM
CodeE

Good pickup for the Islanders.

Also, have to congratulate Kings fans on being very classy during this ordeal. Any anger is being directed towards Lombardi for waiving this kid in the first place, and I'm not seeing any sour grapes "this guy sucks and your team sucks" type posting. Considering this is hfboards, I'm not shocked to learn in a thread where the Islanders claimed a former 4th overall pick from the Kings, the Rangers fans are the ones acting like children

I guess winning a Stanley Cup will do that to a fanbase...

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan1 View Post
Isles just got a new fan.
That's a very roomy bandwagon. Grab a seat. Have your own row.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Chardo

Quote:
This has been the Isles operating manual for 5 years.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Rod Buskas*

Great pickup for NYI. I think Hickey will flourish thee

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:48 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Umm... Compared the alternative (Landry? Wishart?), he'll cost us absolutely nothing.

Seriously, look at what we've had to work with. Jack Hillen. Freddy Meyer IV. Mike Friggin' Mottau.

Sounds to me like he's a replacement for Calvin De Haan - a heady guy with no notable physical talents who was bound to spend time with the big club before he hurt his shoulder... again.

There's little reason to spend more assets to get players at this point. Our first rounder is too valuable. We don't have a 2nd round pick (Lube-O), so we shouldn't trade our 3rd and that's not enough to get the player we want, anyway.

We've got Reinhart and Mayfield on the way. Matt Donovan needs just a little more polishing. Others are further off.

Honestly, why doesn't the league just send Ryan Whitney over to the Isles. He fits our profile: top 5 pick, moves the puck well, is injured most of the time.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Reinhart and Mayfield, two 6'4 towers that could form a nice tandem (shoot L & R respectively) in a couple years.

01-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Knight of the Realm
champs no more!

Most of LA was shocked by the pick at the time. Hope Hickey can stick with NYI...had hoped he could make people eat there words but slowly understood he'd never play for LA. Sounds like a good kid. Maybe he will surprise.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:58 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
This has been the Isles operating manual for 5 years.
I'm not sure what you expect. The Isles went into the lockout expecting both Visnovsky and deHaan to play key roles on this defense. Now post-lockout deHaan is hurt and Visnovsky is trying to stay in the KHL. I'm sure Snow would love to add an established top-4 right now, but who is going to give a guy like that up at this point when there is such a premium put on NHL-caliber defenders? I suppose Snow could vastly overpay to get that guy, but is that something you think would be a smart move?

Unless you think one top-4 defender is going to put the Isles over the top. Personally, I think they need a little more help than that.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

Quote:
Is he really being counted on to play big minutes? I would be surprised if that were the case.
If Lubo doesn't make the opening night roster, Hickey will be on the third pairing. Likely 16 minutes.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:20 PM
raswilliam

Wishing Hickey the best, I hope he has a long career. As a kings fan, I hate losing him, but at least he'll get to play now.

I wish I could find the link, but when he was with the thunderbirds, they has a video on their site of Hickey just absolutely destroying some guy with a Rob Black-eske hip check into the boards. I bet it's buried in the Kings CHL thread.

raswilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I'm not sure what you expect. The Isles went into the lockout expecting both Visnovsky and deHaan to play key roles on this defense. Now post-lockout deHaan is hurt and Visnovsky is trying to stay in the KHL. I'm sure Snow would love to add an established top-4 right now, but who is going to give a guy like that up at this point when there is such a premium put on NHL-caliber defenders? I suppose Snow could vastly overpay to get that guy, but is that something you think would be a smart move?

Unless you think one top-4 defender is going to put the Isles over the top. Personally, I think they need a little more help than that.
I don't know why the isles are getting flak for this. Injuries and extenuating circumstances forced the isles to pick up two dmen on waivers for depth purposes. No different then the Rangers picking up Woywitka last year (just an example for the Ranger fan who is worried for the Islanders.)

Isles probably needed to pick up one guy even if they were fully healthy/had everyone here.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote