HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI takes Thomas Hickey

Old
01-15-2013, 03:25 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
If Lubo doesn't make the opening night roster, Hickey will be on the third pairing. Likely 16 minutes.
Third pair, yes, but i dont see him playing 16 minutes.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:27 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Key word. Hope. Banking on an average AHL player to play big minutes on a NHL roster is a recipe for disaster.
Hickey will be our 7th dman, on the third pairing, or back on waivers. He is going to have to earn minutes, plain and simple.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:36 PM
giddy up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Well, that's obvious and I already wrote that before. It was a moronic pick that your fans still complain about (and I don't blame them -- it was idiotic at the time and looks even worse today).

There's a reason Hickey, as a high draft pick, never made the Kings. It's not because he has much to offer. He never even got a cup of coffee. Not even one of those little tiny cups.

I don't blame the Kings for not using him. There's not much of a need for short, weak defensemen who can't contribute much offensively.
Based on youre unwarranted vitriol toward this player let me guess, you're a Ranger fan?

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Third pair, yes, but i dont see him playing 16 minutes.
More? Less? I think 16 minutes is at most. 1-2 minutes of PK time and 14 minutes of EV strength.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:43 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Hickey will be our 7th dman, on the third pairing, or back on waivers. He is going to have to earn minutes, plain and simple.
And earn them he will. He'll be pushing hard for top-4 minutes by start of next season, mark my words.

He isn't this tiny, weak, offense-first defensive liability many seem to think. His game has evolved into a pretty well rounded defenseman and almost resembles Scuderi. Obviously he isn't at that level yet but down the line he could develop into that kind of player. (With a little offense thrown in the mix as perhaps as a 2nd pp qb)

LA has a lot of depth on defence so those who consider Hickey a total bust don't get it. I know I'm going to regret this down the line as a Kings fan ( just as a I predicted Purcell & Moulson to develop nicely) but I'm happy he is getting a shot now. (& after how LA treated Visnovsky and now Vis is treating NY, I hope Hickey alleviates some of that headache for Isles fans)

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:46 PM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
And earn them he will. He'll be pushing hard for top-4 minutes by start of next season, mark my words.

He isn't this tiny, weak, offense-first defensive liability many seem to think. His game has evolved into a pretty well rounded defenseman and almost resembles Scuderi. Obviously he isn't at that level yet but down the line he could develop into that kind of player. (With a little offense thrown in the mix as perhaps as a 2nd pp qb)

LA has a lot of depth on defence so those who consider Hickey a total bust don't get it. I know I'm going to regret this down the line as a Kings fan ( just as a I predicted Purcell & Moulson to develop nicely) but I'm happy he is getting a shot now. (& after how LA treated Visnovsky and now Vis is treating NY, I hope Hickey alleviates some of that headache for Isles fans)
Thanks for the insight, we are all hoping he pans out for the Isles too.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:57 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
actually most seem to think he came in as a PMD, got hurt and missed most of two seasons, then came back and worked on being a defense first defenseman.
He missed most of one season, not two. You're looking at his 9 games in the AHL in 2008-2009 but forgetting that he played that whole season in the WHL and joined the Monarchs after his Junior team was eliminated.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:59 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
Hmm, I wonder if this might not be some sort of unofficial compensation from the Kings, for that situation? Maybe that would just be making connections where none actually exist.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:05 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Hmm, I wonder if this might not be some sort of unofficial compensation from the Kings, for that situation? Maybe that would just be making connections where none actually exist.
If that was the case they would have made a trade. A couple other teams had a chance to grab Hickey off waivers but decided to pass.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Do you think Hickey is a good player but the Kings have 8 superstars on Defense so he's just been screwed out by a numbers game? I think that's a stretch. If Hickey were an NHL quality Defenseman he would have at least had a look. At this point it's questionable if Hickey plays 100 NHL games in his career. Every draft class there's a few guys who just don't pan out and are complete busts.

Do you recall a guy named Daniel Tkaczuk? That's the kind of career Hickey is going to have.
Hyperbole aside, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. I don't think its entirely unreasonable to suggest that Hickey couldn't make the championship defense because everyone on the squad was superior in their assigned roles. That in no way makes him trash. And it would be a waste to have him as a #7 when we have one of those, a guy PAID to sit most of the year. With all the injured time Hickey has had, he needs to play and play and play.

The lockout likely got in the way of his long awaited cup of coffee, and prior to that he's had to contend with a series of diamonds in the rough who all stayed healthy and built momentum to get past him to the big show. Muzzin suited the role we need to make up for Mitchell's injury, so Hickey would have to wait longer. Now that he has an opportunity with the Isles, I think he will be a competent contributor. Something like how Brad Stuart panned out, who was like a 4th or 5th overall pick I believe.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
What a ****ing idiot Lombardi is. The kid is the smartest defenseman in Manchester and has finally become a solid defensive defenseman who can still move the puck a little bit and he never gives him a shot. Such a ****ing joke. Why draft him that high if you're never gunna give him a shot?
Dont ask me.

Give him the benefit of doubt. Lombardi is one of the best regarding 1st round picks and failed on this one.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:37 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
This is what confuses me about Hickey. Not sure what kind of future you have at the NHL level as a 5'10 defenseman who doesn't put up points. If he's actually closer to 6'0(which I've seen some people post) he could end up being be OK. But 5'10? Not sure if you can make a living as a defensive d-man with that kind of build.
According to the Isles website, he is 5'11" 190 lbs, which makes him an inch shorter but a little heavier than Andrew MacDonald, another undersized player who doesn't provide a lot of offense. If Hickey can provide that kind of unspectacular but steady play I will be happy.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Meet Hickey in person , He is 6ft about 190 to 195. These website's have his Jr size listed.

That was Five years ago.
It really shows some know nothing about him.

Puckmoving defenseman, non-physical, 5'10'' 170 lbs...we have seen it all in this topic. All untrue.

I'm not saying he will become the next best thing or that I know much about him...but obviously more than others.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:38 PM
CodeE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
The Kings, the Ducks, or any other NHL team for that matter, owe the Islanders jack squat for the Visno situation. 100% of the blame is placed with Lube-O himself and his selfish attitude.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Yeesh, hope he at least sees the ice in Long Island/Brooklyn. Good move for the Islanders.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
Based on youre unwarranted vitriol toward this player let me guess, you're a Ranger fan?
It's an opinion I've shared on this site a number of times. Not exactly wrong, either.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:46 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
More? Less? I think 16 minutes is at most. 1-2 minutes of PK time and 14 minutes of EV strength.
sorry, i mean i think he plays less, unless he comes into camp and is just superb. i see the 3rd pair at about 11-13 mins...at least to start.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:56 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Hyperbole aside, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. I don't think its entirely unreasonable to suggest that Hickey couldn't make the championship defense because everyone on the squad was superior in their assigned roles. That in no way makes him trash. And it would be a waste to have him as a #7 when we have one of those, a guy PAID to sit most of the year. With all the injured time Hickey has had, he needs to play and play and play.

The lockout likely got in the way of his long awaited cup of coffee, and prior to that he's had to contend with a series of diamonds in the rough who all stayed healthy and built momentum to get past him to the big show. Muzzin suited the role we need to make up for Mitchell's injury, so Hickey would have to wait longer. Now that he has an opportunity with the Isles, I think he will be a competent contributor. Something like how Brad Stuart panned out, who was like a 4th or 5th overall pick I believe.
Stuart played 82 games in the NHL as a 19-20 year old. It's rare enough to make the NHL as a full-timer if you haven't played a single game by 23. I'd imagine even rarer if you were a top draft pick. Likely just means he peaked young.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
It really shows some know nothing about him.

Puckmoving defenseman, non-physical, 5'10'' 170 lbs...we have seen it all in this topic. All untrue.

I'm not saying he will become the next best thing or that I know much about him...but obviously more than others.
I've seen him play live in Manchester several times. Have you?

I've said for a few years, I just don't think he's an NHL regular dman. He'll finally get a chance this year, but I'll bet you right now he's back on waivers before the end of the season.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I've seen him play live in Manchester several times. Have you?

I've said for a few years, I just don't think he's an NHL regular dman. He'll finally get a chance this year, but I'll bet you right now he's back on waivers before the end of the season.
That might very well be possible. Did I say anything different, did I offend you ?

Old
01-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Parise9Crosby87

i think this is a solid pick up for the islanders

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Oh god it's funny seeing you guys act like this guy is any good

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 06:47 PM
jameswrjobe53

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Oh god it's funny seeing you guys act like this guy is any good
Christ, give the guy a chance.

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Awesome, the Isles have finally found a replacement for the sorely missed Mark Katic.:-)

In light of the blueline situation on Long Island and heck, even in Bridgeport, there's really nothing wrong with signing Martinek and now grabbing former first rounders Finley and Hickey.

It's depth - albeit Islander fans are used to Snow going this route and not necessarily simply signing 2 or 3 proven NHLers.

Then again, who knows - maybe these moves have been made with hope that Visnovsky still finds his way to Long Island.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 07:41 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

If Hickey is like the other Kings players who never got a chance before heading to the Island (Smith, Blake, Moulson) we'll be very happy. If he's like Tambellini or that Russian Dman, far less so.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote