HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI takes Thomas Hickey

Old
01-15-2013, 07:58 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
If Hickey is like the other Kings players who never got a chance before heading to the Island (Smith, Blake, Moulson) we'll be very happy. If he's like Tambellini or that Russian Dman, far less so.
I thoughts Grebs was promising.Just young and needing time to develop.

Ironically, the isles lost him when they tried demoting him to Bridgeport and he refused to report, bolting for Europe.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:53 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I thoughts Grebs was promising.Just young and needing time to develop.

Ironically, the isles lost him when they tried demoting him to Bridgeport and he refused to report, bolting for Europe.
I'm just saying 21 games of Hickey would be disappointing. Of course if we can trade him for another Hamonic, it's all good.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Not really, I actually like Hickey. Kings fan here.

It's not Hickey's fault Dean Lombardi picked him 4th overall.

Had Hickey gone were he was projected 15 to 25th no one would care, this thread probably wouldn't have so much traffic.
This is a quality point. As you mention he was supposed to be middle of the pack in a weak draft. I remember that leading up to the draft many thought LA might forego the Russian factor and take Cherepanov, which would have seen a similar result from the pick through a much more tragic fashion.

Alzner was the top D on everyone's pre draft ranking, and has developed accordingly. Most LA fans will say who cares when you're raising a Stanley Cup banner, but an Alzner-Doughty pairing sure looks good for the next ten years.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
If Hickey is like the other Kings players who never got a chance before heading to the Island (Smith, Blake, Moulson) we'll be very happy. If he's like Tambellini or that Russian Dman, far less so.
I was trying to think of a Smith who played on the Islanders recently, but then I realized you were going all the way back to Billy .

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Balls Mahoney
Fair and Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by raswilliam View Post
Wishing Hickey the best, I hope he has a long career. As a kings fan, I hate losing him, but at least he'll get to play now.

I wish I could find the link, but when he was with the thunderbirds, they has a video on their site of Hickey just absolutely destroying some guy with a Rob Black-eske hip check into the boards. I bet it's buried in the Kings CHL thread.
The myth of Hickey not being physical is bizarre to me. I've personally witnessed first hand and in person Hickey throwing fists and beating the bejeezus out of other players here in Seattle. I don't know if he's mellowed from injuries but the kid had a very definite edge to his game in Juniors.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:50 PM
roach9

If the Isles didn't pick him up, you gotta think Dallas would've.

I would've liked to have seen Hickey & Dillon reunited (they were T-Bird d-partners for a few years).

roach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:05 PM
cyclones22

When you draft a ton of dmen, some are going to get lost in the shuffle. Other than injuries, the worst thing to happen to Hickey was Lombardi drafting Doughty AND Voynov in the following draft year. I'm rooting for the kid and I hope he does well on the Island.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:06 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
The myth of Hickey not being physical is bizarre to me. I've personally witnessed first hand and in person Hickey throwing fists and beating the bejeezus out of other players here in Seattle. I don't know if he's mellowed from injuries but the kid had a very definite edge to his game in Juniors.
You mean like this around 2:10

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:00 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
When you draft a ton of dmen, some are going to get lost in the shuffle. Other than injuries, the worst thing to happen to Hickey was Lombardi drafting Doughty AND Voynov in the following draft year.
Take a look at the Islanders' draft from this past year.
2012 Entry 4 1 Griffin Reinhart D Edmonton Oil Kings [WHL]
2012 Entry 34 2 Ville Pokka D Karpat [SM-liiga]
2012 Entry 65 3 Adam Pelech D Erie Otters [OHL]
2012 Entry 103 4 Loic Leduc D Cape Breton Screaming Eagles [QMJHL]
2012 Entry 125 5 Doyle Somerby D Kimball Union [Mass. H.S.]
2012 Entry 155 6 Jesse Graham D Niagara IceDogs [OHL]
2012 Entry 185 7 Jake Bischoff D Grand Rapids H.S. [Minn. H.S.]

Reinhardt, Pokka, Pelech and Graham all look solid, but there's little to no chance they all play as Islanders.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
High draft pick who kept getting hurt and got passed by too many people on the depth chart. Sucks for the Kings, but they made it work despite a bad high draft pick.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote