HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles claim Thomas Hickey (D) off Waivers

Old
01-16-2013, 05:47 AM
TROLLPOSO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Okay, it all sounds great, but why did the CBJ and EDM pass on this guy? If he's so good?

Or maybe the Islanders just see things differently from the rest of the league? Our position in the standings certainly dictate so, no?
Teams probably passed because picking him up means you tie up a roster spot aon the big club as sending him down means he has to pass through waivers. From my reading on the Kings HFBoard it sounds like Edmonton has too many D-Men to consider already and that the Kings was simply a numbers situation for Hickey. Can't speak for CBJ but I assume they are happy with their Defense as currently composed, I guess.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Okay, it all sounds great, but why did the CBJ and EDM pass on this guy? If he's so good?

Or maybe the Islanders just see things differently from the rest of the league? Our position in the standings certainly dictate so, no?
The waiver wire is tricky business.

A team not only exposes an initial list of players, but has to expose an additional player for every guy it ends up snagging, so when you do pluck a guy off the waiver wire, you have to be ready to possibly sacrifice another body in the process.

In addition, as others have mentioned, that picked-up player is generally being taken to fill a spot on the big club, meaning that in order to assign him to the minor league affiliate, he's gotta go through waivers again, or at least this is how I understand it.

As such, both Hickey and Finley have been taken with the intent of giving them a shot on the Island.

Now, I don't know about Finley (because I don't know if there's really any interest by other teams out there), but if the Isles eventually decide to send Hickey to the farm, he's a guy who likely wouldn't make it through the waiver wire. I believe there will be enough interest amongst the other 26 or 27 teams behind the Islanders in the WW list that a taker will be found. I might be wrong, especially if Hickey ends up flopping now...

This is a huge opportunity for Hickey and I for one think there are surely a number of Dmen already playing in this league who don't possess his overall game and skillset. Time for him to show that he can do everything and maybe more than guys like i.e. Hillen, Harrold, Meyer IV, Bouillion, Diaz, Fistric, Orlov, etc., etc. can do.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:59 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
The waiver wire is tricky business.

A team not only exposes an initial list of players, but has to expose an additional player for every guy it ends up snagging, so when you do pluck a guy off the waiver wire, you have to be ready to possibly sacrifice another body in the process.

In addition, as others have mentioned, that picked-up player is generally being taken to fill a spot on the big club, meaning that in order to assign him to the minor league affiliate, he's gotta go through waivers again, or at least this is how I understand it.

As such, both Hickey and Finley have been taken with the intent of giving them a shot on the Island.

Now, I don't know about Finley (because I don't know if there's really any interest by other teams out there), but if the Isles eventually decide to send Hickey to the farm, he's a guy who likely wouldn't make it through the waiver wire. I believe there will be enough interest amongst the other 26 or 27 teams behind the Islanders in the WW list that a taker will be found. I might be wrong, especially if Hickey ends up flopping now...

This is a huge opportunity for Hickey and I for one think there are surely a number of Dmen already playing in this league who don't possess his overall game and skillset. Time for him to show that he can do everything and maybe more than guys like i.e. Hillen, Harrold, Meyer IV, Bouillion, Diaz, Fistric, Orlov, etc., etc. can do.
Which would provide an explanation to those who questioned why guys like Wishart were brought to camp instead of Donovan. They were brought up to be sent down in case the Isles made a waiver pickup.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:04 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Why was Orlov on that list of Dmen?

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:38 AM
steveat

Your answer as to WHY the Jackets didn't pick up Hickey:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2012/team/_/name/cls

Read number 4.

For Oilers...

From what I gather, they got what they need for a Hickey type player. What they want is a top pairing dman or top 4 like us.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ng-camp/page/4

http://oilersnation.com/2013/1/14/and-in-this-corner

We picked hickey because we choose players with glass jaws..people gotta stop getting injured! 8-)

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:45 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2012/team/_/name/cls

Read number 4.

For Oilers...

From what I gather, they got what they need for a Hickey type player. What they want is a top pairing dman or top 4 like us.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ng-camp/page/4

http://oilersnation.com/2013/1/14/and-in-this-corner

We picked hickey because we choose players with glass jaws..people gotta stop getting injured! 8-)
Hickey has played two full seasons after his injury in his rookie pro ssn. I didnt realize how solid the BJ's defense looks on paper. It would be nice if they had some goatlending to go along with it this season. Mason looks like poop after his awesome few weeks as a rookie. Almost Jim Carrey-esque.
The thing is, there isnt a top 4 dman to be had, especially for cheap. EVERYONE wants a top 4 dman, so that would tell you that there is a shortage and lesser players are now top 4 dmen. I saw Colin White got a camp invite, why didnt we invite him? Give him a shot at the 6 as well. Martinek, when healthy, can play #4. Its just a matter of when...when will he get hurt. I love Marty, always have. I was at the much talked about 1st star game against the Canes when he scored in overtime(i dont know how i remember all that off hand, it was 10 seasons ago).
Hickey/Carkner could be a decent bottom pair. Hickey can skate and is, by all accounts, very smart. Carkner is big and mean and makes up for Hickey being a little shorter. I wonder, does Hickey make the Kings if hes, say 6'3"?

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:08 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
they'll be picking up Seth Jones. They are an awful team on paper but that's why they play the games, and why Isles fans still have hope.

I think Hickey was a smart move by Snow. I love what I've read about him, his play in Manchester and his development since he was very good at the WJC a few years back.

Snow's in such a tough spot as a GM in being able to acquire players and identifying situations like this are an absolute necessity. It won't work in many cases, but sometimes, it will.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:22 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
Hickey has played two full seasons after his injury in his rookie pro ssn. I didnt realize how solid the BJ's defense looks on paper. It would be nice if they had some goatlending to go along with it this season.
People keep saying this, but Bobrovsky and Mason seems like a pretty solid combo.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:23 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
they'll be picking up Seth Jones. They are an awful team on paper but that's why they play the games, and why Isles fans still have hope.

I think Hickey was a smart move by Snow. I love what I've read about him, his play in Manchester and his development since he was very good at the WJC a few years back.

Snow's in such a tough spot as a GM in being able to acquire players and identifying situations like this are an absolute necessity. It won't work in many cases, but sometimes, it will.
Johnson-Wizniewski
Tyutin-Nikitin
Aucoin-Moore/Erixon

That is not a bad defense

Old
01-16-2013, 09:26 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
People keep saying this, but Bobrovsky and Mason seems like a pretty solid combo.
GAA over 3 and save pct under .900 last year for Bob. I do think he is a better option than Mason, however, who was 3.39 and .894 last year

Old
01-16-2013, 09:46 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Johnson-Wizniewski
Tyutin-Nikitin
Aucoin-Moore/Erixon

That is not a bad defense
Wis in horrible, increased minutes will really hurt them defensively but you're right, the defense isn't bad. Tyutin is one of the best secrets in the league and Johnson is also very good. Ryan Murray will help them, NEXT year.

But have you seen the forwards? They have FOUR 5th lines. They'd be an "average" AHL group of forwards.

Prospal - Brassard - Umberger
Dubinsky - Johansen - Atkinson
Foligno - Anisimov - Dorsett

Maybe Boone Jenner makes the team?

Quote:
GAA over 3 and save pct under .900 last year for Bob. I do think he is a better option than Mason, however, who was 3.39 and .894 last year
Bobrovsky's stats were with the FLYERS though, big difference in Columbus. And they'll deserve the first overall next June.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:04 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Wis in horrible, increased minutes will really hurt them defensively but you're right, the defense isn't bad. Tyutin is one of the best secrets in the league and Johnson is also very good. Ryan Murray will help them, NEXT year.

But have you seen the forwards? They have FOUR 5th lines. They'd be an "average" AHL group of forwards.

Bobrovsky's stats were with the FLYERS though, big difference in Columbus. And they'll deserve the first overall next June
Yea i was saying that to show they have issues with the goaltending. And i agree with their crop of forwards. Not much high end talent at all, but to call Johansen and Atkinson 5th liners is a bit of a stretch

Old
01-16-2013, 07:31 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Not necessarily. Martinek has a dormant offensive game. AMac on his flank will allow him to play more in the offensive zone. Everyone remember when he went out of character and took a rush up the ice for a beautiful goal a few years back? Combine his smart defense with an awakened offensive game and we're not that bad. Physical D, two puck rushers, a young two way guy with all the tools, two physical defensemen (one stay at home) and we have something. Not GREAT but a decent mix.
Lmao, how can i forget it, I think it was the last goal he scored in the NHL...c'mon on now there is no reason to expect him to provide any offense.

Remember that shutout Ricky had in 20??... He's a dormant all star.....

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:01 PM
ScaredStreit

Quote:

Bobrovsky's stats were with the FLYERS though, big difference in Columbus. And they'll deserve the first overall next June.
Wow that offense is awful. Has to easily be the worst in the league. Forget 1st liners-I don't see any 2nd liners.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:14 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Wow that offense is awful. Has to easily be the worst in the league. Forget 1st liners-I don't see any 2nd liners.
Umberger, Brassard, and Atkinson are 2nd liners. But yeah, the rest are terrible.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:19 PM
StrongIslanders90

Hickey really impressed me in the scrimage tonight....I could def see him playing in the NHL and Starting the 3rd pairing with Carkner...I could also see him being on the 2nd PP and 2nd PK.....He's not big but hes not small...He seems like a very smart Hockey player and he skated very well and uses his stick and positioning to play defense.....Its only one exibition game but I was very pleased with his play...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Hickey really impressed me in the scrimage tonight....I could def see him playing in the NHL and Starting the 3rd pairing with Carkner...I could also see him being on the 2nd PP and 2nd PK.....He's not big but hes not small...He seems like a very smart Hockey player and he skated very well and uses his stick and positioning to play defense.....Its only one exibition game but I was very pleased with his play...
I agree and also chimed in on offense a bit I liked him and Carkner together....Finley is trash from what I saw tonight he's slow and looks lost...then again it's only one game.

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
It does look pretty meek, but the key here is if Johansen and Atkinson are ready to deliver in the shortened season. Say these forwards gather the following stats...

8-23-31 10-18-28 12-17-29
10-20-30 10-15-25 13-13-26
11-16-27 9-17-26 5-6-11

Then throw in the extra 15-20 goals that Johnson and Wis will likely combine for.

It could end up being a pretty decent score-by-committee group.

Na, whatever, still tipping on them being at the bottom of things, but I'm sure plenty of people could compare their roster to ours and feel that Tavares is about the only real difference, likely giving the CBJ a better grade on defense and in goal.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
It does look pretty meek, but the key here is if Johansen and Atkinson are ready to deliver in the shortened season. Say these forwards gather the following stats...

11-16-27 9-17-26 5-6-11

Then throw in the extra 15-20 goals that Johnson and Wis will likely combine for.

Na, whatever, still tipping on them being at the bottom of things, but I'm sure plenty of people could compare their roster to ours and feel that Tavares is about the only real difference, likely giving the CBJ a better grade on defense and in goal.
I'll take our top 6 over any of those forwards 8 days a week. Foligno with 27 points on the 4th line? Anisimov the same? Those numbers are generous considering their ice-time.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Foligno with 27 points on the 4th line? Anisimov the same? Those numbers are generous considering their ice-time.
Well, in this scenario, Foligno and Anisimov are of course on the third line.

In Columbus' reality, they'll often be top 6 forwards, especially considering Johansen and Atkinson will continue to have growing pains.

Throw in injuries and slumps along the way...

Old
01-17-2013, 09:46 AM
Yashin for President

Now that Visnosky is coming back first week of February what does this mean for Hickey? If he gets sent back down to Bridgeport you know he will be scooped up on waivers. I wouldnt want to lose Hickey, im curious who the odd man out is. Martinik?

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:52 AM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
Now that Visnosky is coming back first week of February what does this mean for Hickey? If he gets sent back down to Bridgeport you know he will be scooped up on waivers. I wouldnt want to lose Hickey, im curious who the odd man out is. Martinik?
I would think Finley would be the first on the chopping block if/when Visnovsky decides to show. Since it would be in season, there's a pretty good chance that Finley would clear waivers and then could be sent to Bridgeport.

I think the Isles would want to give Hickey a very long look as he has potential. In the grand scheme of things, Hickey would be a 3rd pairing at most anyway.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:53 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:

11-16-27 9-17-26 5-6-11

There's no CBJ who's even come close to 30 goals except Umberger, I don't think anyone's even scored 20 goals except maybe Duby with the NYR and Prospal years ago. On paper, the CBJ are the worst team in hockey by a wide margin.

The Isles have the potential to be a playoff team, IF IF IF a lot of things align. But Columbus has zero chance.

And Tavares IS the only real difference. BUT, he makes Moulson a threat, 30+ goal scorer, whomever the RW is as well.

Once Visnovsky reports, the defense looks, dare I say, "pretty good", and Nabby looked pretty sharp as well (yesterday anyway)

Streit - Martinek
MacDonald - Hamonic
Visnovsky - Carkner/Hickey/Finley - that's an extremely good top FIVE dmen, far better than what the outlook was a couple of weeks ago!

Old
01-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
Long time till February. You are looking at injuries, suspensions, knocks and bruises.

Besides, with a condensed schedule, ideally, you would like to give everyone the odd day off here and there. I hope the Islanders carry 7 to 8 dmen, and 13 forwards. They'll need everyone.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Pretty much what we have heard from him this season. I'll be rooting for the guy. He was in a tough numbers game here in LA and hopefully he continues to get better and and help you guys out. He's a smart player that shouldn't "Wow" you, but hopefully make the right play each game.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote