HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

vCash: 50
Coach names captain.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:01 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Well you have to assume that being captain was at least something in the back of his mind and something he could realistically be excited about. Because who wouldn't want to be named captain of an NHL team? Then all of a sudden having landeskog named captain could have really been insulting to him. Especially if contract negotiations were already going sour. The fact that landeskog was named captain really means that Ryan will never have the oportunity to be an NHL captain if he stays with this team (if that were something that was important to him). But who knows...
Maybe he's asked for a traded? I mean with two top line centers (dutchy and staz), maybe he figures he can ge a crack at a top two line, and be captain somewhere else? Either way, things need to happen fast. I don't want an empty spot in my roster, whether its him that fills it or not remains to be seen.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:04 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torr View Post
Coach names captain.
While this is true, are you saying that there was absolutely no input from Sherman or the other higher up execs?

Old
01-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Razor29
The Ultimate Tank

Maybe Sakic had some say in it, but other than that, no I do not believe any of the higher ups had any say.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:15 PM
SwissAvsFan

@TheFourthPeriod: Still nothing new on Subban/MTL or O'Reilly/COL negotiations, agent tells me they're "still working on them"

:/ is this good or bad?

Old
01-16-2013, 12:16 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissAvsFan View Post
@TheFourthPeriod: Still nothing new on Subban/MTL or O'Reilly/COL negotiations, agent tells me they're "still working on them"

:/ is this good or bad?
The public news is the same as we've heard for about the last week.

What TwoPadStack told us yesterday does not leave us with very high hopes.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Cullen Bohannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Well then GM Greg Sherman, you shouldn't have named Landeskog captain should you?
Landeskog > O'Reilly.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:27 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Maybe but MDZ probably wanted to get back to NYR. They have leverage as they're a winning team and I dunno if he's healthy but if he is then they can just put Sauer in the top 4 in place of MDZ. Maybe MDZ himself got the ball rolling and told his agent to get a contract done.

If O'Reilly really wanted a deal done quickly here then he'd force the issue a bit rather than just letting his agent do as he will.

At least it's not like the Subban or Benn situation though, those seem more painful. And I have no idea what's going on with Kulikov, no one has even mentioned the fact that he's an RFA.
The Rangers have leverage because MDZ is an RFA who doesn't have a two-year deal in Russia. If the Rangers tell him to rot there isn't a whole lot he can do about it. If the Avs tell O'Reillykov to rot he'll do it with a smile on his face--he's getting paid and apparently loves Russia now.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:32 PM
JoemAvs

Ok my favorite soccer team signed Guardiola today and my favorite football team signed Chip Kelly ( my top choice by far even though he pulled a classic Favre).
ROR time to make this a perfect* sports day (withouth winning a title) and sign an 8 yr 32 M contract!

You know you want it!

* (Oh and the Mavs somehow trading for a superstar while giving up scraps would be nice as well but this is not the time to get greedy )

Old
01-16-2013, 12:33 PM
JeffFingerDiscount

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
he's getting paid and apparently loves Russia now.
It would be just the Avs luck that when they don't draft Russians due to the flight risk, our model Canadian boy signs a contract there anyway.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
The Rangers have leverage because MDZ is an RFA who doesn't have a two-year deal in Russia. If the Rangers tell him to rot there isn't a whole lot he can do about it. If the Avs tell O'Reillykov to rot he'll do it with a smile on his face--he's getting paid and apparently loves Russia now.
While I am sure money buys a certain level of comfort, being in a relatively small mining town half way to Siberia in a country where most don't speak English most likely isn't where he wants to be. I think he is, no matter what he claims, home sick.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Freaky Styley

[QUOTE=RockLobster;57675195]The public news is the same as we've heard for about the last week.

What TwoPadStack told us yesterday does not leave us with very high hopes.[/QUOTE]

what did he say?

Old
01-16-2013, 12:54 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
Quote:
The public news is the same as we've heard for about the last week.

What TwoPadStack told us yesterday does not leave us with very high hopes.
what did he say?
Here's what he had to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I will be surprised if O'Ry plays another game for us.

Last summer, they were close, then it got ugly. This guy was close to signing when EJ re-signed. Alot of ugly things have happened and been said.

It's unfortunate that he's going to get a bad reputation for this. Both sides could have handled this very differently.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:56 PM
DallasGaume

Living the dream! This is Mats Zuccarello, Justin Hodgman and ROR enjoying tacos for New Years Day dinner in Magnitogorsk.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Ok my favorite soccer team signed Guardiola today and my favorite football team signed Chip Kelly ( my top choice by far even though he pulled a classic Favre).
ROR time to make this a perfect* sports day (withouth winning a title) and sign an 8 yr 32 M contract!

You know you want it!

* (Oh and the Mavs somehow trading for a superstar while giving up scraps would be nice as well but this is not the time to get greedy )
Eww, you're a bayern and eagles fan? Who hurt you?

Old
01-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Lecavalier
Hedman

For

RoR
Wilson
Barrie
Picks
Not what I would say/do if this type of deal happens; not sure if I would be happy or mad lol

Old
01-16-2013, 01:16 PM
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
While I am sure money buys a certain level of comfort, being in a relatively small mining town half way to Siberia in a country where most don't speak English most likely isn't where he wants to be. I think he is, no matter what he claims, home sick.
I agree it's probably not ideal, but I don't think he has an issue staying there for the duration of his contract. We don't know for sure what he's making, but apparently it's enough to make him happy. He's also with his brother, which he's stated many times is a huge plus. All things equal I'm sure he'd rather be back here, but if things break down (further) and the Avs tell him to rot in Russia then I don't think he'd have an issue playing out his contract and waiting for a better deal.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Here's what he had to say
hmm, that IS disheartening. I wonder what happened to make it go so far off the rails.. really unfortunate if true. If O'Reilly is traded and we get anything less than a stellar return for him it will be a sad day for this franchise and might mean this whole rebuild was for not. He is a guy you win championships with.

Let's just hope the constant communication means something is close again.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:43 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I really think that O'Reilly will be traded for Kulikov. Other pieces will be involved, but that is the deal I feel will be done if neither is signed by Saturday.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:43 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Eww, you're a bayern and eagles fan? Who hurt you?
Says the guy with Hummels (Bayern youth through and through ) as his profile picture .

I live close to Munich so I kind of grew up a Bayern fan.
Got into the Mavs through Dirk, got to the Avs because of remembering Sakic at the 2002 Olympics and him retiring
and the first game of football I ever watched was the Eagles superbowl loss and I kinda took their side and made them my team ever since.
(I don't know why but without any kind of football knowledge , I somehow disliked Belichick and the Patriots the first moment I ever watched them )

Any news on ROR TPS?

Or any news on Benn, Kulikov or Subban really? They are all more or less in the same boat (with ROR looking the grimmest right now )

Old
01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I really think that O'Reilly will be traded for Kulikov. Other pieces will be involved, but that is the deal I feel will be done if neither is signed by Friday.
Fixed.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:49 PM
JeffFingerDiscount

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I really think that O'Reilly will be traded for Kulikov. Other pieces will be involved, but that is the deal I feel will be done if neither is signed by Saturday.
I could see this happening, but the only thing that keeps me from buying in 100% is that I have a hard time seeing the Avs trade one RFA holdout in Russia for another RFA holdout in Russia. I think they'd only trade for a sure thing.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:53 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
hmm, that IS disheartening. I wonder what happened to make it go so far off the rails.. really unfortunate if true. If O'Reilly is traded and we get anything less than a stellar return for him it will be a sad day for this franchise and might mean this whole rebuild was for not. He is a guy you win championships with.

Let's just hope the constant communication means something is close again.
Here's a followup to a couple of questions I asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I don't know much about whether he's being traded soon or anything like that... again, I don't know scouts or GMs or agents. Just players. All I know is that when things were close, the Avs started pointing out major deficiencies in O'Ry... the response was that he's one of the best defensive players of the past 25 years and a bigger leader/means more than $6.6 Paul or $3.5 Matty.

I mentioned last year how much this guy cares about anything, he's a passionate person and that comes from his mom. Some of the things said have really strained the relationship between O'Reilly and the Avs.

If they can hash this stuff out, all the better and I will be happy to be wrong. As of now, the relationship is very poor. Intermediaries for discussions, etc. It's ugly.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:55 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

TPS, I wanted to ask you after I posted your response to a question you answered for me yesterday.

You had said something along the lines of "intermediaries for discussions, etc."

Does that mean that, in essence, there is a "go-between" for contract discussions between O'Reilly and the team? That they either are/or were not meeting face-to-face or directly over the phone?

Old
01-16-2013, 02:02 PM
CJV123

With the low tax rate in Russia, I'm guessing O'Reilly can make a lot more there going forward than the 2 @ 3.5 here.

Closed Thread