HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 12:38 PM
  #476
The Shermanator
Butts
 
The Shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 'Murica
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,368
vCash: 50
I was really expecting to wake up to some good news today.

The Shermanator is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 12:40 PM
  #477
BoxOfChocolates
Registered User
 
BoxOfChocolates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Stankonia
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
But we all hold up Sakic as a shining example of a player (at least most of us), and my point was that as an RFA he signed an Offersheet that was designed like the Weber one to PHI was, it was designed to be a "poison pill" to the matching team.

I'm just saying, we should curtail the negativity towards him a bit, but if you don't agree with me, that's fine.
My problem is that RoR will probably be missing games, that's the issue. His holdout will be costing us games, which is completely unacceptable.

BoxOfChocolates is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 12:43 PM
  #478
Freudian
Deja vu again?
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 31,491
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
My problem is with the fact that RoR will probably be missing games, that's the issue. His holdout will be costing us games, which is completely unacceptable.
I'm not a fan of it either. Play your game of chicken, but know when it's time to get serious.

I can't imagine it going over well with his team mates either. Saying no to $3.5M+/year, when EJ/Duchene/Varlamov and other have bought in when it comes to contracts, to sit in Russia and earn marginally more? Not cool.

Freudian is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 12:46 PM
  #479
TheStranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
I was really expecting to wake up to some good news today.
Lesson is never wake up

TheStranger is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 12:52 PM
  #480
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 13,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfChocolates View Post
My problem is that RoR will probably be missing games, that's the issue. His holdout will be costing us games, which is completely unacceptable.
That is a fair statement, and even something that I talked about last night in my long, diatribe of a post. I stated that once Ryan starts missing Avalanche games, the team would most likely (in my opinion only) make the decision to move towards trading him, as at that point the potential for games being lost, and a shortened season, would be detrimental to the team.

Whether that means allowing a potential trading partner a short window of time to negotiate or what, remains to be seen.

I will say one thing...everytime I move away from Twitter for even like 5 minutes, and I come back and see that there are 10+ new tweets, my heart/excitement starts racing. (Excitement just for wanting this situation to be resolved)

I think that something, one way or the other, has happened...then my excitement is tempered when it's just stupid stuff like my younger brother saying that he's 6 tweets away from 1,000 so he's going to "space them out" so his 1,000th tweet occurs on his birthday (tomorrow)

RockLobster is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 12:57 PM
  #481
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 13,100
vCash: 500
A link to the 2012-2013 Avalanche Media Guide...O'Reilly's in it (obviously it was made before this stuff happened)

But it seems to confirm his switch to #90

http://avalanche.nhl.com/v2/ext/PDF/...edia_Guide.pdf

RockLobster is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 12:59 PM
  #482
AvsFanInBuffalo
Registered User
 
AvsFanInBuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
I'm sure it's been said, but I didn't read through this long thread, but he wants something like 5 million i read, and for a 3rd line center basically, that's a lot.

I think he ends up being traded probably because I don't think we can justify that money for him, even if he led the team in scoring last year.

AvsFanInBuffalo is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
  #483
The Shermanator
Butts
 
The Shermanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 'Murica
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,368
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanInBuffalo View Post
I'm sure it's been said, but I didn't read through this long thread, but he wants something like 5 million i read, and for a 3rd line center basically, that's a lot.

I think he ends up being traded probably because I don't think we can justify that money for him, even if he led the team in scoring last year.
Last year he was a first line center.

The Shermanator is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:05 PM
  #484
Nihiliste
Registered User
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I'm not a fan of it either. Play your game of chicken, but know when it's time to get serious.

I can't imagine it going over well with his team mates either. Saying no to $3.5M+/year, when EJ/Duchene/Varlamov and other have bought in when it comes to contracts, to sit in Russia and earn marginally more? Not cool.

Absolutely this. To me this is well past the time to be throwing a tantrum over hurt feelings during your negotiations. He clearly at this point is in no rush to get back and playing alongside his teammates. I feel like this really dispels the illusion of a team first, unselfish player, and I agree that I can't see this sitting well with his teammates at all.

Nihiliste is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:08 PM
  #485
Mouse21*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Last year he was a first line center.
he was, but the only reason he would ever have to put up minutes like that again is if the other two are struggling mightily, which hopefully wont happen.

Mouse21* is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
  #486
CJV123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
After taxes, he may be earning a lot more in Russia. And let's not forget the trim is spectacular there. I feel for the Avs but he has the right to bargain- the owners agreed to this in the CBA- and he is exercising his rights.

CJV123 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
  #487
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 13,036
vCash: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Last year he was a first line center.
Not likely to be a 1st line Center this year, though. Nor in the foreseeable future (at least not with the Avs). Shouldn't get paid for a position he won't be playing...

Bubba Thudd is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:35 PM
  #488
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJV123 View Post
After taxes, he may be earning a lot more in Russia. And let's not forget the trim is spectacular there. I feel for the Avs but he has the right to bargain- the owners agreed to this in the CBA- and he is exercising his rights.
A) He's not in Moscow, he's in a small town
B) Even in moscow, the girls have mean faces

cgf is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:37 PM
  #489
ThunderBird
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
I can't fault the guy. Professional sports careers are short and I promise the owners are trying to screw the players any way they can. So I am ok with a player trying to get as much as they can. We just had no hockey for four months so the owners could make 50% of the revenue instead of 43%.

O'Reilly is also obligated to himself and his union to try and make as much money on his deal so the next young defensive center can say look at O'Reilly he is making X amount of dollars and I am just as good. His teammates know this and while they wish he was on the ice with them they also understand and are not mad at him.

I think we keep negotiating but we need to start looking at trading mid-round pick or lower prospect to get a older serviceable third line center that is stuck on somebodies fourth line and basically tell O'Reilly we have a guy for this year so we don't really need you back. I think he would start to lose some leverage and maybe a deal could get done.

ThunderBird is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:43 PM
  #490
TOGuy14
Registered User
 
TOGuy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
kadri is basically a worthless piece so id say it isn't equal.
lol wut?

Kadri hasn't exploded or anything, but I don't think worthless is the word you are looking for.

TOGuy14 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:46 PM
  #491
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 13,036
vCash: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
lol wut?

Kadri hasn't exploded or anything, but I don't think worthless is the word you are looking for.
Is "Leaf" too close of a synonym?

Bubba Thudd is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:54 PM
  #492
Mouse21*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
lol wut?

Kadri hasn't exploded or anything, but I don't think worthless is the word you are looking for.
i wouldnt take him for any decent prospect we have.

Mouse21* is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:56 PM
  #493
EdAVSfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBird View Post
I can't fault the guy. Professional sports careers are short and I promise the owners are trying to screw the players any way they can. So I am ok with a player trying to get as much as they can. We just had no hockey for four months so the owners could make 50% of the revenue instead of 43%.

O'Reilly is also obligated to himself and his union to try and make as much money on his deal so the next young defensive center can say look at O'Reilly he is making X amount of dollars and I am just as good. His teammates know this and while they wish he was on the ice with them they also understand and are not mad at him.
I think we keep negotiating but we need to start looking at trading mid-round pick or lower prospect to get a older serviceable third line center that is stuck on somebodies fourth line and basically tell O'Reilly we have a guy for this year so we don't really need you back. I think he would start to lose some leverage and maybe a deal could get done.
Ugh, I didnt want to go back to lockout talk, but I must correct your stance here.

50% is all the players get. The money dished out to all players in the NHL is equal to 50%. If all the young players start to cash out bigger contracts, theyre hurting themselves and all of the other players as well. Why? because the bigger they dish out (owners) the more will get clawed back from escrow.

Are you trying to tell me that Varlamov, Duchene and Landeskog are happy that Oreilly is trying to milk out an extra 500k to 1.5M from the team? That just means less cap is available for them. And the more money Oreilly makes, the higher the escrow hits are at seasons end.

50% is 50%. Everyone could sign for league max, but no one would actually get the face value of their contracts.

When a player signs for 5M per year, hes not necessarily getting 5M per year. All hes locking in, is the percentage of the 50% of HRR thats available to players. They just cant state it as a percentage because it would a) be too confusing and b) constantly changing.

In no way is OReilly's holding out for more money, beneficial to anyone other than himself. Which is fine by me. But please dont make it seem like hes fighting the fight for all the youngins in the league.

EdAVSfan is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:59 PM
  #494
Bubba Thudd
Moderator
#AvsNewAge
 
Bubba Thudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Avaland
Posts: 13,036
vCash: 1061




Never fear, Russian O'Reilly will!

Bubba Thudd is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 01:59 PM
  #495
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 14,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Not likely to be a 1st line Center this year, though. Nor in the foreseeable future (at least not with the Avs). Shouldn't get paid for a position he won't be playing...
If he was here I think he would be. He would be playing the most minutes against the top lines. That is a #1 center IMO.

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 02:02 PM
  #496
Hans Landaskog
Registered User
 
Hans Landaskog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 5,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
If he was here I think he would be. He would be playing the most minutes against the top lines. That is a #1 center IMO.
I'm not sure he would with a healthy Duchene and PAP

Hans Landaskog is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
  #497
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 23,509
vCash: 966
Russian O'Reilly, Comrade O'Reilly, O'Reillykov...Not gonna lie I like some of these haha.

The Kingslayer is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 02:20 PM
  #498
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan
 
Ivan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 13,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Disagree a lot. Kulikov pre-injury last season was finally showing why he has such high potential, was rounding him game out very nicely as an offensive guy with a nice pass and reliable defensively.

I think he's going to be a very nice #2 for several years if he can find that game again.
That's a pretty big if.

Ivan13 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 02:24 PM
  #499
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Russian O'Reilly, Comrade O'Reilly, O'Reillykov...Not gonna lie I like some of these haha.
No $ergei O'Reilly?


BrickAHL is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 02:30 PM
  #500
Gigantor The Goalie
Registered User
 
Gigantor The Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,608
vCash: 500
Aaron Musick ‏@Avalangelist

http://HockeyBuzz.com - Aaron Musick - O'Reilly not in KHL team's lineup #Avs http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...RcuhFw.twitter

Gigantor The Goalie is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.