HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I don't know man, I would agree with you that Carlson or Alzner won't be coming to the Avs, but I still contend that once the puck drops on the Avalanche season, if O'Reilly isn't there or has agreed to a contract, then I believe the Avs will be resigned to trade him, perhaps for no other reason than "No one is bigger than the team".

I'd love to be wrong on this...but I just feel that once that bridge is crosse, the Avalanche will view it as a "burnt bridge" so to speak
It's business. It has zero reflection on him as a player. If he comes back and stops working hard or isn't interested, then he is a goner. But if he comes back and picks up where he left off as a player, there is no reason to trade him whatsoever. He and Avs have a different view on how to put a price on him as a player coming off an ELC. It's not the end of the world.

Sakic gave the organization the biggest ***** they've ever experienced and his jersey is in the rafters and his ass in the front office. There is plenty of room for forgiving.

Last edited by Frenchy: 01-18-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog 92 View Post
ehhhhh...
If you believe everything that a player, who didn't like the coach, says after being traded you are one of the most gullible human beings that follow hockey.

Everyone lies, everyone says they love the team and the fans.
Did you expect Quincey to say "The team-spirit was so awesome, and I was so frustrated when I was traded and I can't wait to get back to Denver as soon as I can"?

Old
01-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
If you believe everything that a player, who didn't like the coach, says after being traded you are one of the most gullible human beings that follow hockey.

Did you expect Quincey to say "The team-spirit was so awesome, and I was so frustrated when I was traded and I can't wait to get back to Denver as soon as I can"?
Honestly you're guess is as good as mine.. Neither of us are intimate with the situation.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:16 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

lately just about every Avs player traded away or leaving via FA had negative things to say about the Avs.
i think it has more to do with not liking Sacco and wanting to bend the Avs over a barrel and then realizing the team is not that desperate than anything else.

it's sour grapes from guys who didn't get the contracts they wanted.
if any of them got paid the money they demanded they would have said nothing publicly and just gossiped with friends.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Landeskog 92 View Post
Honestly you're guess is as good as mine.. Neither of us are intimate with the situation.
Yup. But it is at least almost a fact that everyone lies, so as you say the interpretations and speculations are endless.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Eurolanche
HFB Partner

Send a message via ICQ to Eurolanche Send a message via Skype™ to Eurolanche
We did preseason interview with Jan Hejda: http://www.eurolanche.com/article.php?id=2376

He also added his opinion on O´Reilly.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

For all we know Quincey was right, and everyone he was referring to got shipped out after him. At any rate, you can't put too much into what bitter players have to say once they've been traded. We can sit here and guess all day what the players think of management or each other, but that's pointless. And besides, they're big boys making big money. You and I put up with the same workplace drama for a lot smaller of a paycheck.

Well, I don't, but that's because I'm independently wealthy...

Old
01-18-2013, 06:22 PM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

Quote:

Lets not forget Wuincey has probably bounced around 6 teams or more in short NHL\AHL career, expected to stay with the Avs, bought a house in Denver that he still lives at I believe, and was probably very bitter about being moved on a young up and coming team. Its basically a slap in the face from the organization.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

We know Anderson wasn't happy because of the contract situation and Quincey wasn't happy because he was a scratch after coming back from injury. I do think Quincey being traded had more to do with Avs not wanting to pay him as much as he is making in Detroit now (almost $4M/year if I recall correctly) more than him sulking.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:29 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
Unless the Avs are playing poorly and become desperate, I think they'll hold onto ROR's rights until the deadline and make a big trade then.
i doubt they trade him. unless some team comes along and offers us some kind of package we can't refuse why would they?
eventually he'll want to play in the NHL again and he can't until he comes to the table and relents. the longer he stays in the KHL the less leverage he retains, he'll never get the huge pay day he seeks there.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:31 PM
AvsWraith

Knowing what we do about ROR, Management had to do or say something really dickish to him to get him this pissed off. He knows what Duchene and Lando are making, and he knows that we cannot give him more than they are getting without alienating them. His asking price pretty much says "Trade Me!". A damn shame too, seeing as how he is the type of player you need to have to win cups with.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:33 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
youre wrong.
**** you.

Quote:
ROR is the first contract dispute the Avs have had under Sherman.

Can you really start to question the methods of the FO after the first (albeit huge) contract dispute (not counting arbitrations that were solved before the actual arbitriation) the FO has had in 4 years?
We've signed Dutchy, EJ, Varly, McGinn, Wilson, Downie (albeit ending in UFA) to very reasonable RFA deals with no (revealed) animosity between the FO and the representatives of the player. (and all these this season!)
I think the problem lies more on the O'Reilly side when looking at the big picture, but it is all just speculation.

Oh, if you wanna put in Hendricks as a contract dispute then fine, but he was not in any way an integral cog in the build-up of the team.
I wasn't necessarily only talking contracts. Let's not forget how folks like Bruno, Flash and Mueller where all let go. There were also some harsh feelings between Andy and the team when they split up as well. Same goes for Quincey. I also believe Gally and Wink were a little miffed if memory serves me correctly. Oh..and Pauly's dad got bent out of shape about Stewart. All I was really trying to suggest is that it is very easy for me to believe the AVs would lowball someone to the point of insulting them. I also imagine that the negotiations probably got a bit out of hand. I imagine something was said that pissed off ROR pretty bad. He's just never come across as an asshat before this summer...so, has he always been an ass or did something happen? It's easier for me to believe something happened to cause the bad feelings rather than him just all of sudden developing delusions of grandeur.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:36 PM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
Knowing what we do about ROR, Management had to do or say something really dickish to him to get him this pissed off. He knows what Duchene and Lando are making, and he knows that we cannot give him more than they are getting without alienating them. His asking price pretty much says "Trade Me!". A damn shame too, seeing as how he is the type of player you need to have to win cups with.
RoR isn't doing the negotiation. Maybe its a young kid trusting his agent a little too much.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
There are others out there. If he wants THAT MUCH then he's hardly what the Avs need in the end.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:41 PM
AvsWraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcn12 View Post
RoR isn't doing the negotiation. Maybe its a young kid trusting his agent a little too much.
Could be, or he also could've instructed his agent to ask for a price that would get him traded.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Could be, or he also could've instructed his agent to ask for a price that would get him traded.
By this point, there is definitely communication between ROR and his agent. One does not play in Russia and leave all matters regarding the future of his Hockey and NHL career in the hands of his agent and simply wait for that phone call in the snow one day telling him "Oh hey Ryan, it's your agent. .....$$$$$$.....X years.....XXXX team, fly on back"

Old
01-18-2013, 06:55 PM
AvsWraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
By this point, there is definitely communication between ROR and his agent. One does not play in Russia and leave all matters regarding the future of his Hockey and NHL career in the hands of his agent and simply wait for that phone call in the snow one day telling him "Oh hey Ryan, it's your agent. .....$$$$$$.....X years.....XXXX team, fly on back"
Agreed. I'm guessing he's getting comfortable in Russia because he knows that there is no way in hell Sherman is going to give him 5-6 million.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
I'm wondering if this is the case as well.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:06 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Yes, of course, the agent is holding him hostage.

No, O'Reilly is the one still calling the shots. He knows/thinks what he is worth, and letting his agent take care of all the talk. Lets not forget who works for who.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Sherman has signed most of our RFAs to reasonable salaries early and without conflict. I doubt there is a front office problem.

Meanwhile, Meehan clients have held out during training camp quite a bit (O'Reilly, Doughty, Subban, del Zotto) lately and Bobby Ryan had to go around Meehan and negotiate with the GM directly to get a deal done because nothing was happening.

I don't think it's just about money (just mostly) but also O'Reilly wanting assurances that he will get to play in an offensive role going forward.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:08 PM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

All speculation, but perhaps it was revealed in negotiations the avs viewed RoR as their 3rd best center and wouldn't pay him that amount. Perhaps RoR didnt take kindly to that and his agent figured they would ask for 5mil knowing the avs wouldn't take it, knowing a more desperate team would, so he gets paid and traded to a team where he will be a central piece. That would convince my 21 year old self to do something like this.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
and what exactly do you know about O'Reilly? I bet you anything you've never even met the guy.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:12 PM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
Yes, of course, the agent is holding him hostage.

No, O'Reilly is the one still calling the shots. He knows/thinks what he is worth, and letting his agent take care of all the talk. Lets not forget who works for who.
His agent works for him yes. To negotiate and tell him his worth, other teams interest etc. No where did I say he was held hostage and I don't think it unreasonable to think his agent convinced him he is worth more then he is.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:19 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
His agent works for him yes. To negotiate and tell him his worth, other teams interest etc. No where did I say he was held hostage and I don't think it unreasonable to think his agent convinced him he is worth more then he is.
I know, a bit of a dramatic statement. But the argument that the blame lies on the agent, not the player is wrong in my eye. Ryan knows what he is worth. And to him, he is worth that 5 million a year. There are some examples out there to support it too, and I'm sure he has had a few teams that would be willing to pay it too. Keep in mind that he has probably had talks with other teams that have given him offers.

The real difference here is that he is treating this as if he was a UFA, not a RFA. On a pure open market, he could get that 5 million.

*Edit, I apologize for the rambling rant.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Strictly speaking, the agent works for the player. But the agent is the expert and I would assume can have quite a bit of influence on negotiation strategy. That's the point of having one to start with.

Closed Thread