HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyAvs View Post
Will O'reilly be watching the game tonight ?
Yeah, on one of these:

Old
01-19-2013, 09:50 AM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Yeah, on one of these:

Ha, in Soviet Russia, TV watch you!

That one is actually kind of true

Old
01-19-2013, 09:51 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
I honestly couldn't imagine a scenario in which O'Reilly wasn't at the very least keeping close tabs on the game (if he for some reason couldn't actually watch).

Old
01-19-2013, 09:58 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I guess, from now on , you will have to write in Russian , if you want Radar to read you comment.
That would be outstanding, and should be used.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Foppa2118

Cосать его Райана

Old
01-19-2013, 10:51 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I figured out what KHL's secret weapon is that not even Bettman can stop.....

Old
01-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

vCash: 500
Quote:
http://www.ntvplus.ru/

Last edited by Jeff_Dyck_#1: 01-19-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old
01-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Dyck_#1 View Post
I clicked the link and got this message:

"The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

I don't know if that was you wanted me to see, but it is so very accurate...

Old
01-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I honestly couldn't imagine a scenario in which O'Reilly wasn't at the very least keeping close tabs on the game (if he for some reason couldn't actually watch).
For sure he'll watch the game and from everything that I can gather from this entire situation, he'll HOPE that they struggle and get blown out so it will help HIS cause and give him more leverage.

IF HE LOVES HIS BROTHER SO MUCH WHY DOESN'T HE MARRY HIM!!!!!!!

Sorry, sorry...I'm ok now.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:08 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
For sure he'll watch the game and from everything that I can gather from this entire situation, he'll HOPE that they struggle and get blown out so it will help HIS cause and give him more leverage.

Maybe that is why he wants to stay in Russia. I assume it's legal there.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Quote:

lol if the team does struggle and he enjoys it won't be good for him imo we'll just have to draft someone to replace him then he can enjoy his time in russia

Old
01-19-2013, 01:26 PM
seacard

Just a quick question about RFA rules. If O'Reilly plays this season out in Russia, doesn't he push becoming a UFA back by one year? I thought it was 7 years or 27 years old, and he would have had 7 years under his belt by the age of 26. If he doesn't came back this year, then he would still be four years away from becoming a UFA? Or am I wrong here?

I am struggling to figure out why somebody would choose to play in Russia for $4 million when he could play here for $4 million dollars and set himself up for a future deal? Seems like he is getting some awful advice from his agents, but there has to be something I'm missing; some kind of an upside to staying in Russia.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:36 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacard View Post
Just a quick question about RFA rules. If O'Reilly plays this season out in Russia, doesn't he push becoming a UFA back by one year? I thought it was 7 years or 27 years old, and he would have had 7 years under his belt by the age of 26. If he doesn't came back this year, then he would still be four years away from becoming a UFA? Or am I wrong here?

I am struggling to figure out why somebody would choose to play in Russia for $4 million when he could play here for $4 million dollars and set himself up for a future deal? Seems like he is getting some awful advice from his agents, but there has to be something I'm missing; some kind of an upside to staying in Russia.
Yes it would push UFA back for him. The incentive to stay would be that russia has a flat 13 or 15 % tax rate, still too drunk from last night to remember properly, so while the total salary figures may not be higher than they would be in the NHL, he's keeping a lot more that money. Plus he gets to play with his brother, and put more pressure on the team to give him a contract which ensures he gets to keep playing with good wingers and doesn't get put back into a shutdown role.

The last part is why I get Ryan holding out, Dutchy can take a bridge contract and still get paid big bucks at the end of it because he's an offense first player and because the team will keep giving him chances to flourish. For Radar the future is much less certain, with Dutchy healthy and Staz having shaken his curse, Ryan may have ended up with the weakest wingers playing a more defensive role, and that limits his opportunities to put up the kind of numbers that would get him paid as much as he can get. We saw it happen down the stretch, Staz' line became the most dangerous line and Ryan had to handle more of the defensive responsibilities that McC had taken care of earlier in the season, so his numbers shrank. So I think this hold out, more than anything, is about Ryan trying to make sure he doesn't get put back into a shutdown role, at least not permanently.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:46 PM
avsfan09

Lol at this quote from Ryan's father.

Great Employers acknowledge contribution of employees and assist them to become more creative in improving the level of quality in a System

Seems pretty thinly veiled.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:50 PM
seacard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Yes it would push UFA back for him. The incentive to stay would be that russia has a flat 13 or 15 % tax rate, still too drunk from last night to remember properly, so while the total salary figures may not be higher than they would be in the NHL, he's keeping a lot more that money. Plus he gets to play with his brother, and put more pressure on the team to give him a contract which ensures he gets to keep playing with good wingers and doesn't get put back into a shutdown role.

The last part is why I get Ryan holding out, Dutchy can take a bridge contract and still get paid big bucks at the end of it because he's an offense first player and because the team will keep giving him chances to flourish. For Radar the future is much less certain, with Dutchy healthy and Staz having shaken his curse, Ryan may have ended up with the weakest wingers playing a more defensive role, and that limits his opportunities to put up the kind of numbers that would get him paid as much as he can get. We saw it happen down the stretch, Staz' line became the most dangerous line and Ryan had to handle more of the defensive responsibilities that McC had taken care of earlier in the season, so his numbers shrank. So I think this hold out, more than anything, is about Ryan trying to make sure he doesn't get put back into a shutdown role, at least not permanently.
I guess his agents know what they are doing, but the holdout will probably cost him a lot more in the long-term, including his reputation. And pushing the UFA year back is a huge deal, and will probably cost him a few million as well.

As for his line-mates, the Avs have three strong offensive lines, so even if he is on the third line with Hejduk and Downie, that should give him plenty of scoring opportunties.

I also think he is in a no-win situation because of the short season. If the Avs get off to a quick start, they might not have the urgency to sign him. But if they start slowly and fall into a hole, there is little time to climb out of it this year, so you might as well take the higher draft pick, and save a year of O'Reilly's RFA status. Next summer, the Avs will be in the same position vis-a-vis O'Reilly, still having him under control for four years, so they have almost nothing to lose. Seems like a pretty dangerous game he is playing with his career.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Man, O'Reilly's dad is annoying. And a charlatan.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:01 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
It's funny because from what I understand good employees should prove their worth before asking for more money.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
For sure. His quotes sound more like a cult leader, than a buddhist, or any sort of thoughtful motivator. He tries to sound intellectual and philisophical, but he just doesn't know how to do so properly. I think he needs to get back on the lithium.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:02 PM
raistlin76

Quote:

It is 8 am in Magnitogorsk when the game starts, I don't know if he don't have any obligations with his team in the morning even if it's Sunday and he is slightly injured.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
For sure. His quotes sound more like a cult leader, than a buddhist, or any sort of thoughtful motivator. He tries to sound intellectual and philisophical, but he just doesn't know how to do so properly. I think he needs to get back on the lithium.
It's that whole "positive-thinking" claptrap, with a twist to speak directly to business, which is where the real money is for a "life coach".

Old
01-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistlin76 View Post
It is 8 am in Magnitogorsk when the game starts, I don't know if he don't have any obligations with his team in the morning even if it's Sunday and he is slightly injured.
A russian version of PVR/DVR/Tivo might even exist over there but I don't know. Apparently, he is earning many, many rubles in Mother Russia and should be able to afford such a device (if it exists).

Ryan O'Reilly

Old
01-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Rhaego

Can we trade O'Reilly for Edler now?

Old
01-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
Can we trade O'Reilly for Edler now?
No, only for players without contracts, so we can continue the same problems but with fresher faces.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

vCash: 140
At this point, I hope he doesn't sign this year and doesn't gain a year towards UFA.

Avs will draft high, ROR will come back and be a UFA 1 year after Dutch, and the Avs will spend during the off-season ... one can dream right?

Old
01-19-2013, 06:01 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
At this point, I hope he doesn't sign this year and doesn't gain a year towards UFA.

Avs will draft high, ROR will come back and be a UFA 1 year after Dutch, and the Avs will spend during the off-season ... one can dream right?
Sure, but my dream is he doesn't come back, but the Avs still win without him. And get a decent haul for his rights during the summer.

Closed Thread