HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2013, 01:48 PM
  #926
detrude
(╯□)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
 
detrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 3,573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
It will be interesting too se if Sherman manage to find a $3 million per year player bringing more to the table than Ryan O'Reilly.

Good luck.

What people don't seem to emphasize is that we are talking about the Avs best player of last season with Lando and him matching perfectly.
This isn't a matter of $3m, though. He was already offered more than that and turned it down.

(These words may never come out of my mouth again) Dater is absolutely right, you can't just cave and give him whatever he wants. $3.5m is very fair, and about what he should be making. Overpay him by a million (or more) because fans want him signed and you have to start overpaying other RFAs, too. Allow these holdout tactics to work and other RFAs will start to use them.

I agree with Soundwave, this sounds like a passive aggressive (my words) way to ask to be shipped out. I still think the team tries to sign him until the drop dead date (whatever that is/if it exists), then re-evaluates the situation in the off-season. A draft day trade makes a lot of sense if he's still unsigned, and we can probably get something similar to Staal if it came to that.

detrude is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:11 PM
  #927
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,773
vCash: 500
Again, I don't think O'Reilly's demands are wholly unreasonable, nor do I think the Avs' offers are completely insulting (at least one of them isn't). I suppose talks have no reportedly broken off altogether, so that's encouraging, but the Avs need to figure this out, and soon.

I'm not willing to let a season go to waste because the Avs wanted to stand on "principle."

Av-merican is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:18 PM
  #928
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 20,812
vCash: 500
What do they talk about each day, when supposedly the Avs haven't backed off their two year $7M, or five year $17M offer. Those are probably the same exact offers they were making in July.

How is that still talking?

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:19 PM
  #929
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
What do they talk about each day, when supposedly the Avs haven't backed off their two year $7M, or five year $17M offer. Those are probably the same exact offers they were making in July.

How is that still talking?
Good question...makes me wonder of what was being talked about during the CBA negotiations as well, especially when talks blew up like they did a few weeks ago.

Av-merican is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:26 PM
  #930
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate
 
Zih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 2,306
vCash: 133
I kind of wonder what role O'Reilly would fill if he were signed and started to play with us. Last year he managed to very quickly steal the #1 center spot and held onto it all year. He played against by far the toughest competition of all our centers and lead the team in scoring while doing so. I don't think O'Reilly's totally out to lunch in his demands.

I also worry about what effect missing O'Reilly will have on Stastny and Duchene. Last year it was O'Reilly playing the tough minutes against opponents' top lines, but now it will fall to Stastny and Duchene to do so. I don't think opening night will be the last time we're plagued by disappointing performances from the top two lines.

Zih is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:27 PM
  #931
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow
 
The Mars Volchenkov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 39,279
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
nor do I think the Avs' offers are completely insulting (at least one of them isn't).
Neither of those offers are insulting. They're both very fair.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:27 PM
  #932
PeterTheGreat
Registered User
 
PeterTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Again, I don't think O'Reilly's demands are wholly unreasonable, nor do I think the Avs' offers are completely insulting (at least one of them isn't). I suppose talks have no reportedly broken off altogether, so that's encouraging, but the Avs need to figure this out, and soon.

I'm not willing to let a season go to waste because the Avs wanted to stand on "principle."
26, 26, and 55 point seasons and asking for 5 million a year as an RFA?

Thats very unreasonable.

PeterTheGreat is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:41 PM
  #933
SlyAvs
smokin Joe
 
SlyAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
26, 26, and 55 point seasons and asking for 5 million a year as an RFA?

Thats very unreasonable.
It is unreasonable ,maybe that 5m/year means "trade me"

SlyAvs is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:46 PM
  #934
Scottyb123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 368
vCash: 500
Question for you Aves fans:

If you had to guess.. what's the probability that you sign O'Reilly? I haven't been following the situation and someone is offering him to me in a fantasy trade..

Good luck this season.

Scottyb123 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:50 PM
  #935
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Again, I don't think O'Reilly's demands are wholly unreasonable, nor do I think the Avs' offers are completely insulting (at least one of them isn't). I suppose talks have no reportedly broken off altogether, so that's encouraging, but the Avs need to figure this out, and soon.

I'm not willing to let a season go to waste because the Avs wanted to stand on "principle."
So in your mind, Ryan O'Reilly not playing means the season is over?

ChibiPooky is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:51 PM
  #936
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb123 View Post
Question for you Aves fans:

If you had to guess.. what's the probability that you sign O'Reilly? I haven't been following the situation and someone is offering him to me in a fantasy trade..

Good luck this season.
In my opinion, doubtful.

ChibiPooky is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:56 PM
  #937
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
I agree with Soundwave, this sounds like a passive aggressive (my words) way to ask to be shipped out.
Now this is a really scary thought. Why? What did the 'young guys'/team do to make him want to leave? If we can't attract TOP UFAs and the talent this team develops leaves due to being unhappy ... this team is going to have a bigger uphill battle than expected.

chewey is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 02:57 PM
  #938
Freudian
Deja vu again?
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 31,476
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb123 View Post
Question for you Aves fans:

If you had to guess.. what's the probability that you sign O'Reilly? I haven't been following the situation and someone is offering him to me in a fantasy trade..

Good luck this season.
No one here has enough information to know this. All you'll get are poorly educated guesses.

If your fantasy league is only for this season, common sense should tell you to stay away from Subban/Benn/O'Reilly.

Freudian is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:24 PM
  #939
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
No one here has enough information to know this. All you'll get are poorly educated guesses.

If your fantasy league is only for this season, common sense should tell you to stay away from Subban/Benn/O'Reilly.
I have both Subban and ROR on mine

TheFactor is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:25 PM
  #940
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
So in your mind, Ryan O'Reilly not playing means the season is over?
Yup. Not many teams can do that much without their best player, and people can argue with me all they want, IMO O'Reilly is the team's best player.

The deck is stacked against them regardless, but they can't and won't be taken seriously without their top center, best penalty killer, and top defensive forward.

Av-merican is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:26 PM
  #941
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
He isn't even in the top 3. The avs can make the playoff without him IMO.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:26 PM
  #942
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Neither of those offers are insulting. They're both very fair.
So you say. I don't agree. The five year offer is below-market, but still not chump change. But IMO to give him the same "prove your worth" contract as Duchene and expect him to sign it is preposterous.

Av-merican is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:27 PM
  #943
Rhaego
Registered User
 
Rhaego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 6,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Yup. Not many teams can do that much without their best player, and people can argue with me all they want, IMO O'Reilly is the team's best player.

The deck is stacked against them regardless, but they can't and won't be taken seriously without their top center, best penalty killer, and top defensive forward.
O'Reilly isn't our best player....

Rhaego is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:29 PM
  #944
Freaky Styley
Registered User
 
Freaky Styley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
He isn't even in the top 3. The avs can make the playoff without him IMO.
I disagree.. whether he's in our top 3 or not he is definitely one of our most important players, considering all situations.. if we can't get him signed we miss for sure.. with him in the lineup it will even be tight.

Freaky Styley is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:30 PM
  #945
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Yup. Not many teams can do that much without their best player, and people can argue with me all they want, IMO O'Reilly is the team's best player.

The deck is stacked against them regardless, but they can't and won't be taken seriously without their top center, best penalty killer, and top defensive forward.
I agree with you 100%. But if he's going to be a selfish greedy ******* he can go to hell. Im glad the Avs are holding out and not giving in. He's a crucial part of the team and should display it on and off the ice. I think what he's doing is classless and is going to give him a very bad image and will ruin his reputation around the league. That being said, I hope he lowers his demands soon to a more reasonable level and hopefully sign in time to help us out early. Seeing Subban and Benn doing the same thing makes it a little more comforting and takes the attention away from him.

TheFactor is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:33 PM
  #946
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
So you say. I don't agree. The five year offer is below-market, but still not chump change. But IMO to give him the same "prove your worth" contract as Duchene and expect him to sign it is preposterous.
Why, what has Ryan done to make him worth more, other than have his best season at a convient time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
I disagree.. whether he's in our top 3 or not he is definitely one of our most important players, considering all situations.. if we can't get him signed we miss for sure.. with him in the lineup it will even be tight.
Yeah, he's an important player for the avs but the season doesn't rest on his shoulders. Guess, we'll just have to wait and see.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:37 PM
  #947
Freudian
Deja vu again?
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 31,476
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
So you say. I don't agree. The five year offer is below-market, but still not chump change. But IMO to give him the same "prove your worth" contract as Duchene and expect him to sign it is preposterous.
A two year $3.5M/year contract is completely fair and calling it a "prove your worth" contract is wrong. It's a standard bridge contract that most players coming off their ELCs get.

Landeskog will, most likely, be offered one in 18 months time and it won't be insulting to him either.

Freudian is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:39 PM
  #948
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
He isn't even in the top 3. The avs can make the playoff without him IMO.
He might not be top three on the team but it'll be very tough to make the playoffs without him. Even with him it's going to be tough, this just makes it more difficult.

The biggest issue is going to be the PK. Only one game but we had Jones taking defensive zone faceoffs on the PK, we had Duchene on the PK which definitely isn't one of his strengths, and it hurts Duchene/Stastny because they have to use so much energy trying to kill penalties.

Duchene is also coming off of a rough season and needs to show he can be more productive. You never know what you're going to get from Stastny, sometimes he shows up and sometimes he doesn't. I liked what I saw from Mitchell yesterday but he's no O'Reilly.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:39 PM
  #949
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 11,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
I agree with you 100%. But if he's going to be a selfish greedy ******* he can go to hell. Im glad the Avs are holding out and not giving in. He's a crucial part of the team and should display it on and off the ice. I think what he's doing is classless and is going to give him a very bad image and will ruin his reputation around the league. That being said, I hope he lowers his demands soon to a more reasonable level and hopefully sign in time to help us out early. Seeing Subban and Benn doing the same thing makes it a little more comforting and takes the attention away from him.
I wish he wasn't doing it, and yeah, he doesn't deserve the captaincy after this (though I still maintain it's WAY premature to give it to Landeskog), but I'm not going to completely dismiss the character of a professional athlete who is holding out for more money. If we did that, we'd be dismissing a LOT of professional athletes. I'm as surprised as everyone else that this situation has arisen given what we know about Ryan O'Reilly, but I don't think this necessarily makes him a bad guy.

I'll say this about O'Reilly. If he gets his big $$$, he better damn well back it up. I never had a problem with Trevor Pryce when he held out on the Broncos, but I had a big problem with his play there afterwards.

BTW, don't lump Benn in with all the other holdouts. He's asking for a short-term deal, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Av-merican is online now  
Old
01-20-2013, 03:45 PM
  #950
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Yay hockey!
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Yup. Not many teams can do that much without their best player, and people can argue with me all they want, IMO O'Reilly is the team's best player.
You mean like that time Crosby went down and the Penguins tanked the season?

ChibiPooky is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.