HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 05:43 PM
  #176
Avs71
Registered User
 
Avs71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,096
vCash: 500
Haha, someone on the Oilers' board said something along the lines of "if we could get O'Reilly for 4.0-4.5 million, and acquire him without giving any significant assets, this would be ideal."

Avs71 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 05:45 PM
  #177
JoemAvs
Registered User
 
JoemAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,823
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
As a Leaf fan I wouldn't mind giving him $4.5-5M if he signed for say 8 years. You give him more than he earns now, but you hope that it turns into a mega steal for the end half of the deal.

I would be willing to move Gardiner+ but it wouldn't be a huge +, one of our B'ish type prospects.
Well Gardiner alone certainly should not get it done if Sherman does not want to get run out of town.

I would want your 1st added atleast. And 8yrs 4.5M is a deal Sherm hopefully atleast thinks about ...

JoemAvs is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 05:46 PM
  #178
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,665
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
As a Leaf fan I wouldn't mind giving him $4.5-5M if he signed for say 8 years. You give him more than he earns now, but you hope that it turns into a mega steal for the end half of the deal.

I would be willing to move Gardiner+ but it wouldn't be a huge +, one of our B'ish type prospects.
Problem for the Avs organization is they avoid long term deals like the plague. For better or worse, they don't believe in building teams that way.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 05:52 PM
  #179
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 21,742
vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Well Gardiner alone certainly should not get it done if Sherman does not want to get run out of town.

I would want your 1st added atleast. And 8yrs 4.5M is a deal Sherm hopefully atleast thinks about ...
8 yrs? Hahaha this organization? Nah man its 4 years or less almost always. Sherman is afterall warming up the GM seat for Mr. Sakic and wants him to have as much wiggle room, with respects to contracts, as possible

The Kingslayer is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 05:53 PM
  #180
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,369
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Haha, someone on the Oilers' board said something along the lines of "if we could get O'Reilly for 4.0-4.5 million, and acquire him without giving any significant assets, this would be ideal."
Gagner and Omark for O'Reilly

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 05:53 PM
  #181
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,839
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Haha, someone on the Oilers' board said something along the lines of "if we could get O'Reilly for 4.0-4.5 million, and acquire him without giving any significant assets, this would be ideal."
You know what else would be ideal? Me getting 10M every month for life...but that ain't happening and neither is this

RockLobster is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 06:16 PM
  #182
Appleanche
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Asheville, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
As a Leaf fan I wouldn't mind giving him $4.5-5M if he signed for say 8 years. You give him more than he earns now, but you hope that it turns into a mega steal for the end half of the deal.

I would be willing to move Gardiner+ but it wouldn't be a huge +, one of our B'ish type prospects.
See that's the problem with this deal, O'Reilly wants a deal that sends him to his first year of UFA and get overpaid.

Also, as far as any massive long term deal, you really can't do that with 21 year olds and young players unless they are obvious studs.. look at Dipietro...

I think back to Marek Svatos everytime this comes up, what if we said after a 30 goal season.. man this guy is really our future.. let's sign him to an 8 year deal.. we'd still be paying for him today.

As I said in the other thread, the KHL just lost basically all it's star power. O'Reilly is no longer playing with Malkin and I'm sure as he sees games playing he'll probably realize it's probably not the best idea to stay in Russia in the long term.

Appleanche is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 06:27 PM
  #183
Avsboy
Registered User
 
Avsboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleanche View Post
As I said in the other thread, the KHL just lost basically all it's star power. O'Reilly is no longer playing with Malkin and I'm sure as he sees games playing he'll probably realize it's probably not the best idea to stay in Russia in the long term.
Apparently you've never heard of an ego.

Avsboy is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
  #184
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Problem for the Avs organization is they avoid long term deals like the plague. For better or worse, they don't believe in building teams that way.
Well it really did payoff for the last guys they gave long contracts to.

Drij is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 06:46 PM
  #185
sirdigby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
So here is a CBA question. If he plays out the year in Russia, this year cannot count as a year of service, right?
It shouldn't count as a year of service as far as I know, but it will move him closer to being 27, which makes him a UFA no matter what. I highly doubt he wants to stay in Russia until he is 27, but who knows.

sirdigby is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 08:15 PM
  #186
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,369
vCash: 645
27? He'll be back in the NHL before he turns 22.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 08:21 PM
  #187
sgupca
Registered User
 
sgupca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,639
vCash: 500
It sounds like Ryan O'Reilly is pretty upset with the Avs management over their current negotiations.

I've been reading through some of the comments in this thread, some of you believe he's done in Colorado. I for one wouldn't be surprised to see the Avs ship him out for a young/high-end dman.

I'm not saying i've heard this as a rumor, but i have a buddy who works for the sens (i'm not a sens fan - i actually hate them more than any other team in the NHL) - but he said he heard if the leafs keep Morgan Rielly up and they are pleased with his progress it may make Gardiner available for a young Center. Now no one pointed at Ryan O'Reilly, but that flip seems to make sense for both teams?

sgupca is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 08:24 PM
  #188
Frenchy
Global Moderator
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,453
vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdigby View Post
It shouldn't count as a year of service as far as I know, but it will move him closer to being 27, which makes him a UFA no matter what. I highly doubt he wants to stay in Russia until he is 27, but who knows.
welcome aboard

Frenchy is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 08:28 PM
  #189
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,892
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
It sounds like Ryan O'Reilly is pretty upset with the Avs management over their current negotiations.

I've been reading through some of the comments in this thread, some of you believe he's done in Colorado. I for one wouldn't be surprised to see the Avs ship him out for a young/high-end dman.

I'm not saying i've heard this as a rumor, but i have a buddy who works for the sens (i'm not a sens fan - i actually hate them more than any other team in the NHL) - but he said he heard if the leafs keep Morgan Rielly up and they are pleased with his progress it may make Gardiner available for a young Center. Now no one pointed at Ryan O'Reilly, but that flip seems to make sense for both teams?
I'd be pretty angry if Avs were to trade O'Reilly for someone like Gardiner.

Freudian is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 08:30 PM
  #190
sgupca
Registered User
 
sgupca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lloydminster, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I'd be pretty angry if Avs were to trade O'Reilly for someone like Gardiner.
Why?

Have you seen Gardiner play? Living in Canada we get to see the leafs play almost every game, and i for one thought he was the best leaf player a majority of most games.


Also - that's not to discredit O'Reilly, he's one of my favourite players in the NHL.

sgupca is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 08:32 PM
  #191
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28,892
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
Why?

Have you seen Gardiner play? Living in Canada we get to see the leafs play almost every game, and i for one thought he was the best leaf player a majority of most games.
Let's see what he does this year when he's not playing in a run and gun system.

I don't think he is a bad player by any means, but I think O'Reilly is worth significantly more.

Freudian is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 08:58 PM
  #192
Frenchy
Global Moderator
 
Frenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alma, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,453
vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
Why?

Have you seen Gardiner play? Living in Canada we get to see the leafs play almost every game, and i for one thought he was the best leaf player a majority of most games.


Also - that's not to discredit O'Reilly, he's one of my favourite players in the NHL.
Well , word is that Gardiner is concussion symptom free and that he's gonna play against the Habs Saturday. I guess we'll all focus on him to see how he plays after his concussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Let's see what he does this year when he's not playing in a run and gun system.

I don't think he is a bad player by any means, but I think O'Reilly is worth significantly more.
oh yes , no doubts that the Leafs will have to add .

Frenchy is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 09:29 PM
  #193
RumpleSnipeSkin
Bar Down
 
RumpleSnipeSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NY
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 346
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
welcome aboard
Welcome indeed, I'm no longer the least senior visitor to the avs board

RumpleSnipeSkin is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 09:35 PM
  #194
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,313
vCash: 50
I still would be surprised if ROR doesn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if we traded him.

I still think he's worth more to us, than a Yandle/Kulikov type of player.

S E P H is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 09:36 PM
  #195
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor
 
SuperTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleanche View Post
See that's the problem with this deal, O'Reilly wants a deal that sends him to his first year of UFA and get overpaid.

Also, as far as any massive long term deal, you really can't do that with 21 year olds and young players unless they are obvious studs.. look at Dipietro...

I think back to Marek Svatos everytime this comes up, what if we said after a 30 goal season.. man this guy is really our future.. let's sign him to an 8 year deal.. we'd still be paying for him today.

As I said in the other thread, the KHL just lost basically all it's star power. O'Reilly is no longer playing with Malkin and I'm sure as he sees games playing he'll probably realize it's probably not the best idea to stay in Russia in the long term.
I've been reading the O'Reilly thread(s) for a while now with no comment, and now my two cents include a few thoughts: first, good post and a well made point about Svatos, Appleanche. I remember watching Svatos' first year thinking "here's my new favorite av for the next 12 - 15 years, baby!" One great, exciting, productive, promising season out of that guy. But Appleanche is right. If we'd payed him based on that one phenomenal year on a long term deal, we'd have been screwed, huge, and while not completely parallel, it does make me think about the risk of signing a guy for many years at a high salary only to find out that he peaked in his contract year and never sniffed that level again. Do I think that ROR will regress and plateau like this? no. But it is an interesting point and one Avs management is probably heavily considering in their decision making process.
Second, I'm sickened by the thought that he's being such a b1tch about his negotiations. If there were ever a guy who made the world believe he was a team first player and would never get into a holdout situation, it was ROR for me. I can see guys like Chris Stewart or Matt Hendricks holding out or getting out of town because of...whatever, but I never pegged O'Reilly as a guy who would ever be any sort of problem in contract negotiations. Makes me mad that I like(d) him so much. Glad I never pulled the trigger on a jersey. Would have regretted it, then been forced to strip it and have it re-done.
If he's shipped out, I really hope we can get an impact player in return.

SuperTheGreat is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 09:44 PM
  #196
Mifroid
Registered User
 
Mifroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 947
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I still would be surprised if ROR doesn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if we traded him.

I still think he's worth more to us, than a Yandle/Kulikov type of player.
If we could get Ekman-Larsson though, I'd be very happy. Also, I'm not sure O'Reilly really is worth more than Yandle or Kulikov long-term. + I think we lack a top pairing D-man so...

Of course I love O'Reilly, but trading him for a D might be the best thing to do... As for Gardiner, I'm not sure about the guy yet. He looks good, but I'd want more than him to trade O'Reilly away.

Mifroid is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 09:45 PM
  #197
AvalancheFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTheGreat View Post
Makes me mad that I like(d) him so much. Glad I never pulled the trigger on a jersey. Would have regretted it, then been forced to strip it and have it re-done.
If he's shipped out, I really hope we can get an impact player in return.
The fact that I got a got Landeskog jersey opposed to an O'Reilly jersey is sooooooo awesome right now. Anyways, I pretty much echo what you and my fellow Avalanche fans are saying. Especially the person who said O'Reilly is more valuable than a Kulikov type player right now. O'Reilly in the line-up makes our offense look real good. I mean.. McGinn-Stas-Jones, P.A-Duchene-Lando, Downie-O'Reilly-Hejduk is just ridiculous in my opinion. I understand we need to address the defense, but I really thought we could do that while maintaining our 3 C's. The only plus side to this is Landeskog will hopefully play with Duchene (even Stas would be great.. never was a fan of keeping him with O'Reilly despite a great year) and we might see an impact defense man coming our way.

AvalancheFan19 is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 09:47 PM
  #198
Rhaego
Registered User
 
Rhaego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 6,644
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifroid View Post
If we could get Ekman-Larsson though, I'd be very happy. Also, I'm not sure O'Reilly really is worth more than Yandle or Kulikov long-term. + I think we lack a top pairing D-man so...

Of course I love O'Reilly, but trading him for a D might be the best thing to do... As for Gardiner, I'm not sure about the guy yet. He looks good, but I'd want more than him to trade O'Reilly away.
I wish we could get OEL, probably have to add atleast a 1st which I doubt we'd do (I doubt they'd do it either)

Rhaego is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 09:52 PM
  #199
Mifroid
Registered User
 
Mifroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 947
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
I wish we could get OEL, probably have to add atleast a 1st which I doubt we'd do (I doubt they'd do it either)
I'd probably do Siemens + O'Reilly for OEL. I'm not willing to trade our first pick this year. The draft looks interesting this year, and I'm not sure we are really going to progress with many teams in the West progressing as much as we did this summer.

Mifroid is offline  
Old
01-15-2013, 09:59 PM
  #200
Rhaego
Registered User
 
Rhaego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 6,644
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifroid View Post
I'd probably do Siemens + O'Reilly for OEL. I'm not willing to trade our first pick this year. The draft looks interesting this year, and I'm not sure we are really going to progress with many teams in the West progressing as much as we did this summer.
I'd definitely do that, doubt they would though

Rhaego is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.