HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Avs71

vCash: 500
Haha, someone on the Oilers' board said something along the lines of "if we could get O'Reilly for 4.0-4.5 million, and acquire him without giving any significant assets, this would be ideal."

Old
01-15-2013, 05:45 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
As a Leaf fan I wouldn't mind giving him $4.5-5M if he signed for say 8 years. You give him more than he earns now, but you hope that it turns into a mega steal for the end half of the deal.

I would be willing to move Gardiner+ but it wouldn't be a huge +, one of our B'ish type prospects.
Well Gardiner alone certainly should not get it done if Sherman does not want to get run out of town.

I would want your 1st added atleast. And 8yrs 4.5M is a deal Sherm hopefully atleast thinks about ...

Old
01-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
As a Leaf fan I wouldn't mind giving him $4.5-5M if he signed for say 8 years. You give him more than he earns now, but you hope that it turns into a mega steal for the end half of the deal.

I would be willing to move Gardiner+ but it wouldn't be a huge +, one of our B'ish type prospects.
Problem for the Avs organization is they avoid long term deals like the plague. For better or worse, they don't believe in building teams that way.

Old
01-15-2013, 05:52 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Well Gardiner alone certainly should not get it done if Sherman does not want to get run out of town.

I would want your 1st added atleast. And 8yrs 4.5M is a deal Sherm hopefully atleast thinks about ...
8 yrs? Hahaha this organization? Nah man its 4 years or less almost always. Sherman is afterall warming up the GM seat for Mr. Sakic and wants him to have as much wiggle room, with respects to contracts, as possible

Old
01-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Haha, someone on the Oilers' board said something along the lines of "if we could get O'Reilly for 4.0-4.5 million, and acquire him without giving any significant assets, this would be ideal."
Gagner and Omark for O'Reilly

Old
01-15-2013, 05:53 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
You know what else would be ideal? Me getting 10M every month for life...but that ain't happening and neither is this

Old
01-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Appleanche

Quote:

See that's the problem with this deal, O'Reilly wants a deal that sends him to his first year of UFA and get overpaid.

Also, as far as any massive long term deal, you really can't do that with 21 year olds and young players unless they are obvious studs.. look at Dipietro...

I think back to Marek Svatos everytime this comes up, what if we said after a 30 goal season.. man this guy is really our future.. let's sign him to an 8 year deal.. we'd still be paying for him today.

As I said in the other thread, the KHL just lost basically all it's star power. O'Reilly is no longer playing with Malkin and I'm sure as he sees games playing he'll probably realize it's probably not the best idea to stay in Russia in the long term.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleanche View Post
As I said in the other thread, the KHL just lost basically all it's star power. O'Reilly is no longer playing with Malkin and I'm sure as he sees games playing he'll probably realize it's probably not the best idea to stay in Russia in the long term.
Apparently you've never heard of an ego.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Problem for the Avs organization is they avoid long term deals like the plague. For better or worse, they don't believe in building teams that way.
Well it really did payoff for the last guys they gave long contracts to.

Old
01-15-2013, 06:46 PM
sirdigby

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
So here is a CBA question. If he plays out the year in Russia, this year cannot count as a year of service, right?
It shouldn't count as a year of service as far as I know, but it will move him closer to being 27, which makes him a UFA no matter what. I highly doubt he wants to stay in Russia until he is 27, but who knows.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
27? He'll be back in the NHL before he turns 22.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:21 PM
sgupca

It sounds like Ryan O'Reilly is pretty upset with the Avs management over their current negotiations.

I've been reading through some of the comments in this thread, some of you believe he's done in Colorado. I for one wouldn't be surprised to see the Avs ship him out for a young/high-end dman.

I'm not saying i've heard this as a rumor, but i have a buddy who works for the sens (i'm not a sens fan - i actually hate them more than any other team in the NHL) - but he said he heard if the leafs keep Morgan Rielly up and they are pleased with his progress it may make Gardiner available for a young Center. Now no one pointed at Ryan O'Reilly, but that flip seems to make sense for both teams?

Old
01-15-2013, 08:24 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdigby View Post
It shouldn't count as a year of service as far as I know, but it will move him closer to being 27, which makes him a UFA no matter what. I highly doubt he wants to stay in Russia until he is 27, but who knows.
welcome aboard

Old
01-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
It sounds like Ryan O'Reilly is pretty upset with the Avs management over their current negotiations.

I've been reading through some of the comments in this thread, some of you believe he's done in Colorado. I for one wouldn't be surprised to see the Avs ship him out for a young/high-end dman.

I'm not saying i've heard this as a rumor, but i have a buddy who works for the sens (i'm not a sens fan - i actually hate them more than any other team in the NHL) - but he said he heard if the leafs keep Morgan Rielly up and they are pleased with his progress it may make Gardiner available for a young Center. Now no one pointed at Ryan O'Reilly, but that flip seems to make sense for both teams?
I'd be pretty angry if Avs were to trade O'Reilly for someone like Gardiner.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:30 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I'd be pretty angry if Avs were to trade O'Reilly for someone like Gardiner.
Why?

Have you seen Gardiner play? Living in Canada we get to see the leafs play almost every game, and i for one thought he was the best leaf player a majority of most games.

Also - that's not to discredit O'Reilly, he's one of my favourite players in the NHL.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Why?

Have you seen Gardiner play? Living in Canada we get to see the leafs play almost every game, and i for one thought he was the best leaf player a majority of most games.
Let's see what he does this year when he's not playing in a run and gun system.

I don't think he is a bad player by any means, but I think O'Reilly is worth significantly more.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Why?

Also - that's not to discredit O'Reilly, he's one of my favourite players in the NHL.
Well , word is that Gardiner is concussion symptom free and that he's gonna play against the Habs Saturday. I guess we'll all focus on him to see how he plays after his concussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Let's see what he does this year when he's not playing in a run and gun system.

I don't think he is a bad player by any means, but I think O'Reilly is worth significantly more.
oh yes , no doubts that the Leafs will have to add .

Old
01-15-2013, 09:29 PM
RumpleSnipeSkin
Bar Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
welcome aboard
Welcome indeed, I'm no longer the least senior visitor to the avs board

Old
01-15-2013, 09:35 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I still would be surprised if ROR doesn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if we traded him.

I still think he's worth more to us, than a Yandle/Kulikov type of player.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:36 PM
SuperTheGreat
Swim Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleanche View Post
See that's the problem with this deal, O'Reilly wants a deal that sends him to his first year of UFA and get overpaid.

Also, as far as any massive long term deal, you really can't do that with 21 year olds and young players unless they are obvious studs.. look at Dipietro...

I think back to Marek Svatos everytime this comes up, what if we said after a 30 goal season.. man this guy is really our future.. let's sign him to an 8 year deal.. we'd still be paying for him today.

I've been reading the O'Reilly thread(s) for a while now with no comment, and now my two cents include a few thoughts: first, good post and a well made point about Svatos, Appleanche. I remember watching Svatos' first year thinking "here's my new favorite av for the next 12 - 15 years, baby!" One great, exciting, productive, promising season out of that guy. But Appleanche is right. If we'd payed him based on that one phenomenal year on a long term deal, we'd have been screwed, huge, and while not completely parallel, it does make me think about the risk of signing a guy for many years at a high salary only to find out that he peaked in his contract year and never sniffed that level again. Do I think that ROR will regress and plateau like this? no. But it is an interesting point and one Avs management is probably heavily considering in their decision making process.
Second, I'm sickened by the thought that he's being such a b1tch about his negotiations. If there were ever a guy who made the world believe he was a team first player and would never get into a holdout situation, it was ROR for me. I can see guys like Chris Stewart or Matt Hendricks holding out or getting out of town because of...whatever, but I never pegged O'Reilly as a guy who would ever be any sort of problem in contract negotiations. Makes me mad that I like(d) him so much. Glad I never pulled the trigger on a jersey. Would have regretted it, then been forced to strip it and have it re-done.
If he's shipped out, I really hope we can get an impact player in return.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Mifroid

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I still would be surprised if ROR doesn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if we traded him.

I still think he's worth more to us, than a Yandle/Kulikov type of player.
If we could get Ekman-Larsson though, I'd be very happy. Also, I'm not sure O'Reilly really is worth more than Yandle or Kulikov long-term. + I think we lack a top pairing D-man so...

Of course I love O'Reilly, but trading him for a D might be the best thing to do... As for Gardiner, I'm not sure about the guy yet. He looks good, but I'd want more than him to trade O'Reilly away.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:45 PM
AvalancheFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTheGreat View Post
Makes me mad that I like(d) him so much. Glad I never pulled the trigger on a jersey. Would have regretted it, then been forced to strip it and have it re-done.
If he's shipped out, I really hope we can get an impact player in return.
The fact that I got a got Landeskog jersey opposed to an O'Reilly jersey is sooooooo awesome right now. Anyways, I pretty much echo what you and my fellow Avalanche fans are saying. Especially the person who said O'Reilly is more valuable than a Kulikov type player right now. O'Reilly in the line-up makes our offense look real good. I mean.. McGinn-Stas-Jones, P.A-Duchene-Lando, Downie-O'Reilly-Hejduk is just ridiculous in my opinion. I understand we need to address the defense, but I really thought we could do that while maintaining our 3 C's. The only plus side to this is Landeskog will hopefully play with Duchene (even Stas would be great.. never was a fan of keeping him with O'Reilly despite a great year) and we might see an impact defense man coming our way.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifroid View Post
If we could get Ekman-Larsson though, I'd be very happy. Also, I'm not sure O'Reilly really is worth more than Yandle or Kulikov long-term. + I think we lack a top pairing D-man so...

Of course I love O'Reilly, but trading him for a D might be the best thing to do... As for Gardiner, I'm not sure about the guy yet. He looks good, but I'd want more than him to trade O'Reilly away.
I wish we could get OEL, probably have to add atleast a 1st which I doubt we'd do (I doubt they'd do it either)

Old
01-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Mifroid

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
I wish we could get OEL, probably have to add atleast a 1st which I doubt we'd do (I doubt they'd do it either)
I'd probably do Siemens + O'Reilly for OEL. I'm not willing to trade our first pick this year. The draft looks interesting this year, and I'm not sure we are really going to progress with many teams in the West progressing as much as we did this summer.

Old
01-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifroid View Post
I'd probably do Siemens + O'Reilly for OEL. I'm not willing to trade our first pick this year. The draft looks interesting this year, and I'm not sure we are really going to progress with many teams in the West progressing as much as we did this summer.
I'd definitely do that, doubt they would though

Closed Thread