HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2012-2013 NHL Lockout Discussion Thread

View Poll Results: Will there be any NHL games before 8/15/13?
Heck yeah! 11 44.00%
Only on my Playstation 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-15-2012, 05:31 PM
  #1
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,055
vCash: 500
The 2012-2013 NHL Lockout Discussion Thread

Other boards are doing this and so are we.

Please keep the ownership talk in the ownership thread.

You can express your feelings about the lockout and who is involved but don't cross the line.

To the fans from other boards:

Dissent is strongly encouraged but keep it with in the rules.

Let's hope that this lockout won't be a long one and certainly not a repeat of the lost 04-05 Season.



Last edited by Colt45Blast: 09-16-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 05:35 PM
  #2
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 12,172
vCash: 500
They're already said the two sides don't expect to talk until next week.

Good synopsis of where everything stands on TSN:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405331

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 10:59 PM
  #3
Naurutger
Free Max!
 
Naurutger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maricopa County
Country: United States
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 1025
1 hour till its official

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:41 PM
  #4
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,904
vCash: 500
3 times in not even 20 years. The fans, who pay everyone's salaries, are getting screwed again. It shouldn't even have come to this. The NHLPA could have went to the table and negotiated with the owners much sooner. They expected the owners to sit back and let them keep playing after the current CBA to expire.

Honestly, I don't see why this isn't a 50/50, for every sport. The owners obviously have the money to buy a team, and the players are those that bring the fans in to watch. If there weren't people to pay for a franchise, then these players wouldn't have a place to play.

I'm pissed off that they are fighting over millions, while plenty of people are fighting over food to put on the table for their families.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:43 PM
  #5
SniperHF
Global Moderator
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 15,411
vCash: 500
Am I bad for not caring much? Call me when they miss regular season games.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:57 PM
  #6
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,055
vCash: 500
Less than 5 minutes till the lockout is official.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 11:58 PM
  #7
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Am I bad for not caring much? Call me when they miss regular season games.
Nope

I give you credit here as you're not pushing this silly idea for signing petitions like they are in the General Section.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:00 AM
  #8
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,055
vCash: 500
The lockout is in place.


Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:03 AM
  #9
Naurutger
Free Max!
 
Naurutger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maricopa County
Country: United States
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
The lockout is in place.
How exciting...so lets post a visitor thread about Portland. The AHL has my attention.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:05 AM
  #10
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
How exciting...so lets post a visitor thread about Portland. The AHL has my attention.
LOL


I know nothing about Portland Maine.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:15 AM
  #11
Naurutger
Free Max!
 
Naurutger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maricopa County
Country: United States
Posts: 5,311
vCash: 1025
Well my payment for this month's season tickets was not charged so that holds my anger down for a little while.

Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:21 AM
  #12
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,055
vCash: 500
I don't support either side on this and it is really sad that we are in another lockout once again.

One where there could be some permanant damage if this lockout lasts for a while.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:34 AM
  #13
doaner
Registered User
 
doaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Flag
Country: United States
Posts: 3,794
vCash: 500
We are not even discussing the real victims here. What are the poor referee's gonna do this year?

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:37 AM
  #14
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
We are not even discussing the real victims here. What are the poor referee's gonna do this year?
LOL

The NFL ones are still locked out. The current replacements are even worse.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:38 AM
  #15
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
We are not even discussing the real victims here. What are the poor referee's gonna do this year?
I don't even know what an NHL ref makes. Is that their career, or is it a side job? NFL refs and NHL refs, seeing AP's post, are quite a bit different. NHL plays multiple days a week, compared to NFL where it's normally just Sundays.

Off topic, I feel the NFL referees demands are INSANE!!!!! They want a pension plan, when only 35% of American employers provide them?! They want $250,000?!? Get real. I highly doubt any of these guys use their NFL jobs as their only job. I have 0 sympathy for these guys.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:07 AM
  #16
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery
 
Primrose Everdeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 65,185
vCash: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
Well my payment for this month's season tickets was not charged so that holds my anger down for a little while.
They didn't charge me either, so I spent some cash on a 12-pack of Warsteiner to help myself pretend like it's all a bad dream.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:39 AM
  #17
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
3 times in not even 20 years. The fans, who pay everyone's salaries, are getting screwed again. It shouldn't even have come to this. The NHLPA could have went to the table and negotiated with the owners much sooner. They expected the owners to sit back and let them keep playing after the current CBA to expire.

Honestly, I don't see why this isn't a 50/50, for every sport. The owners obviously have the money to buy a team, and the players are those that bring the fans in to watch. If there weren't people to pay for a franchise, then these players wouldn't have a place to play.

I'm pissed off that they are fighting over millions, while plenty of people are fighting over food to put on the table for their families.
No point in meeting sooner or for longer or more frequently. This isn't something that is going to get talked through out of common interest. There isn't a misunderstanding, here. Both sides, I feel, have a very good understanding of the situation as a whole. Here's the rub; they've got to manufacture a sense of urgency and wait for real, tangible pressure to build. Work stoppage seems to be the way to accomplish this, unfortunately.

I also don't think it is as easy as fifty/fifty. It seems both sides have different definitions of a percent. I dont really care to learn more about it, personally. I'm just hoping they can resolve it before we lose more than training camp and pre-season.

My personal bias supports the owners, I guess. Hockey is a niche sport with comparatively small following. Yet, Parise and Suter (not even top ten players) are looking at earning 20-25m each in the next thirteen months, or whatever craziness. I don't think the lower end players are over paid. I feel like there is a good chunk of high end players that are ridiculously over paid. I don't know that any player in a league like the nhl should be making more that five or six milkion bucks a year.

People like to blame the owners for these bloated contracts, and that's fine, but they are just looking for a competitive advantage. I dont think there is anything wrong with negotiating an agreement that helps save the owners from themselves. Trying to agree as a group not to over pay players under the last CBA would've been collusion, right? They need to continue adding caps and restrictions.

The players should obviously get their piece of the pie and as the owners do better, so should the players, but i dont think it needs to be such an annual increase that we end up in the same mess every time the cba expires.

__________________
This poster should not be taken seriously under any circumstances.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:49 AM
  #18
Rabbit
Captain Cook
 
Rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Bay California
Country: United States
Posts: 4,499
vCash: 500
I know this lockout sucks, but am i the only one interested in what the course of action is going to be if the entire season is locked out? I mean i found the draft in 2005 very exciting because you never know where you'd end up.

Rabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:02 AM
  #19
SniperHF
Global Moderator
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 15,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
I know this lockout sucks, but am i the only one interested in what the course of action is going to be if the entire season is locked out? I mean i found the draft in 2005 very exciting because you never know where you'd end up.
Been a while since I thought about it, but the 05 draft was fantastic for us. Two key pieces of the most successful Coyotes team ever in Yandle and Hanzal.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 12:29 PM
  #20
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
No point in meeting sooner or for longer or more frequently. This isn't something that is going to get talked through out of common interest. There isn't a misunderstanding, here. Both sides, I feel, have a very good understanding of the situation as a whole. Here's the rub; they've got to manufacture a sense of urgency and wait for real, tangible pressure to build. Work stoppage seems to be the way to accomplish this, unfortunately.

I also don't think it is as easy as fifty/fifty. It seems both sides have different definitions of a percent. I dont really care to learn more about it, personally. I'm just hoping they can resolve it before we lose more than training camp and pre-season.

My personal bias supports the owners, I guess. Hockey is a niche sport with comparatively small following. Yet, Parise and Suter (not even top ten players) are looking at earning 20-25m each in the next thirteen months, or whatever craziness. I don't think the lower end players are over paid. I feel like there is a good chunk of high end players that are ridiculously over paid. I don't know that any player in a league like the nhl should be making more that five or six milkion bucks a year.

People like to blame the owners for these bloated contracts, and that's fine, but they are just looking for a competitive advantage. I dont think there is anything wrong with negotiating an agreement that helps save the owners from themselves. Trying to agree as a group not to over pay players under the last CBA would've been collusion, right? They need to continue adding caps and restrictions.

The players should obviously get their piece of the pie and as the owners do better, so should the players, but i dont think it needs to be such an annual increase that we end up in the same mess every time the cba expires.
Normally I support the the unions but not so much when it comes to professional sports even though having the unions in pro sports is needed for the way the system is set up. If the all of the players were paid the minimum, that would still be alot more than what almost everyone in the world makes from an individual standpoint. Ideally unions are about helping those are aren't making much to begin with to get more in the long run and the cost of living rises.

I fear this is going to be a very long battle with never finding much in the way of the common ground and lots of court battles.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:41 PM
  #21
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Normally I support the the unions but not so much when it comes to professional sports even though having the unions in pro sports is needed for the way the system is set up. If the all of the players were paid the minimum, that would still be alot more than what almost everyone in the world makes from an individual standpoint. Ideally unions are about helping those are aren't making much to begin with to get more in the long run and the cost of living rises.

I fear this is going to be a very long battle with never finding much in the way of the common ground and lots of court battles.
This. The fact that the owners want to cut current salaries is a big deal. That won't fly, with anyone. That shouldn't even be an option. The management of the teams dug their own hole by giving the outrageous contracts. They need to take the heat for that, and pay the price for it. This lockout is going to take some time to fix, and I'm pissed off that both sides didn't go to the bargaining table sooner. They couldn't care less about the fans, they just want to fight over the money that is spent by us to enjoy the sport.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 01:51 PM
  #22
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 43,723
vCash: 500
The players accepted a roll back in '05. If it was an acceptable option then, it's an acceptable option now.

I'd like to see sliding scale roll backs. 0% for anything under a million, and higher percentages for higher end salaries, maybe maxing out at 18% for anything over six million, or something like that.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 02:17 PM
  #23
O23L
Worst tank ever.
 
O23L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, Az.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,343
vCash: 500
Still no way in hell I will watch any NBA, NFL, or MLB.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 03:41 PM
  #24
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
This. The fact that the owners want to cut current salaries is a big deal. That won't fly, with anyone. That shouldn't even be an option. The management of the teams dug their own hole by giving the outrageous contracts. They need to take the heat for that, and pay the price for it. This lockout is going to take some time to fix, and I'm pissed off that both sides didn't go to the bargaining table sooner. They couldn't care less about the fans, they just want to fight over the money that is spent by us to enjoy the sport.
I disagree. Based on the freshly negotiated deals with NFL and NBA the market has been set that players should get 48-50% of revenues. The NHL is overpaying and all the NHLPA is doing is distract from that fact. They have no grounds to ask for more.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 04:52 PM
  #25
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool
 
Colt45Blast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Mexico
Posts: 26,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I disagree. Based on the freshly negotiated deals with NFL and NBA the market has been set that players should get 48-50% of revenues. The NHL is overpaying and all the NHLPA is doing is distract from that fact. They have no grounds to ask for more.
True but that came as a result of somewher in the process of the union decertifying, which is something we may see with the NHLPA in this case.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.