Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2013, 11:25 PM
tfong

vCash: 500
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sweden-...184824712.html

At this rate if we pick at 5th or below I want Lindholm.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Roadrage

With the win against the Red Wings tonight, the Flames are officially in 25th place overall and would draft 6th overall right now if there were no lottery.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:15 AM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
With the win against the Red Wings tonight, the Flames are officially in 25th place overall and would draft 6th overall right now if there were no lottery.
.... Sean Monahan

STOP CLIMBING, Damn it!!!!

Old
04-18-2013, 12:15 AM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

vCash: 550
Lindholm is my pick now.
Hopefully a team like Nashville can wake up already, same as Raleigh. Move from the Mack/Drouin/Barkov region into the Monahan/Lindholm region... Not the end of the world, but there's a clear difference between the two.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:31 AM
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

Like I said in the other thread, the only game I realistically see us winning from here on out is the Nashville game, and we usually don't do too well against them to begin with, plus, Monohan, Barkov, or Lindholm aren't too bad.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

The only thing I'm really happy about, is how there has been discussion about how high they are on guys like Lindholm. Eases my nerves to be honest.

At least they'll get high end quality. She's suppose to be a deep draft, and I truly hope it's true.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:06 AM
tfong

Lindholm might not be a game breaker but his all around presence with top six ability makes him a very nice pick. Plus he doesn't shy away from the physical stuff too and has good size.

Old
04-18-2013, 08:39 AM
bozybo

There's little question the 2003 NHL Draft will go down as the deepest collection of future stars ever selected.

An entire all-star team can be put together from the first round alone -- Marc-Andre Fleury, Eric Staal, Nathan Horton, Nikolay Zherdev, Thomas Vanek, Milan Michalek, Ryan Suter, Braydon Coburn, Dion Phaneuf and Andrei Kostitsyn were the first 10 players picked.

The Philadelphia Flyers grabbed Jeff Carter (No. 11) and Mike Richards (No. 24), and the Anaheim Ducks tabbed Ryan Getzlaf (No. 19) and Corey Perry (No. 28). The New Jersey Devils drafted Zach Parise at No. 17; the Vancouver Canucks took Ryan Kesler at No. 23.

Don't look now, but the 2013 NHL Draft, to be held at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., is shaping up to be just as stocked with future talent.

I hope to God this is true could be great for us nabbing a Perry-esk player at 28 would be a dream.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:06 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozybo View Post
There's little question the 2003 NHL Draft will go down as the deepest collection of future stars ever selected.

An entire all-star team can be put together from the first round alone -- Marc-Andre Fleury, Eric Staal, Nathan Horton, Nikolay Zherdev, Thomas Vanek, Milan Michalek, Ryan Suter, Braydon Coburn, Dion Phaneuf and Andrei Kostitsyn were the first 10 players picked.

The Philadelphia Flyers grabbed Jeff Carter (No. 11) and Mike Richards (No. 24), and the Anaheim Ducks tabbed Ryan Getzlaf (No. 19) and Corey Perry (No. 28). The New Jersey Devils drafted Zach Parise at No. 17; the Vancouver Canucks took Ryan Kesler at No. 23.

Don't look now, but the 2013 NHL Draft, to be held at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., is shaping up to be just as stocked with future talent.

I hope to God this is true could be great for us nabbing a Perry-esk player at 28 would be a dream.
1979 says hello.

2003 was a great draft year and maybe the 2nd best in history to date, but 1979 is the best draft of all time and it's not even close.

In 126 picks there were 3 players who went on to score 500+ goals (another retired at 498), 7 players recorded 1000+ points, 17 players had careers of over 1000 games. There were also at least 5 hall of fame members chosen in that draft.

That draft saw NHL greats taken all over the place and it was only a 6 round (126 pick) draft!

Mark Messier, Ray Bourque, Mike Gartner, Michel Goulet, Glenn Anderson, Dale Hunter, Brian Propp, Neal Brotten, John Ogrodnick, Thomas Steen. Rick Vaive, Mike Foligno, Guy Carbonneau, Mats Naslund, Brent Ashton, Paul Reinhart, Dirk Graham, Kevin Lowe, Duane Sutter and the late Pelle Lindbergh were all apart of that draft class.

A few '89 Flames were drafted that year too.

Brad McCrimmon, Rob Ramage, Tim Hunter, Jim Peplinski and Rick Wamsley were drafted in the class of '79.

Even Bill McCreary, one of the best refereesin the history of the game was drafted in 1979.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:47 AM
TylerSVT*

If Monohan is gone, i want Nicushkin (only if Feaster is confident he will come over) he is a big body, strong puck skills, very fast. Yea he has the Russian factor, but he would be be most skilled player available.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:52 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
If Monohan is gone, i want Nicushkin (only if Feaster is confident he will come over) he is a big body, strong puck skills, very fast. Yea he has the Russian factor, but he would be be most skilled player available.
But for nikki u know for sure he isn't coming over for two years. If we are going to draft high, I want someone rdy with 1-2 years or can step in right now.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozybo View Post

That was an incredible draft. If it comes close, that'll be great for Calgary, who will have 3 firsts.

Could you imagine getting a Vanek/Michalek (5-7 range), Zach Parise/Getz (16-20 range) and Richards/Perry/Eriksson/Kesler (20-30).
However, with Calgary drafting, it'd probably be like Zherdev, Nilsson and Tambellini LOL

Old
04-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
But for nikki u know for sure he isn't coming over for two years. If we are going to draft high, I want someone rdy with 1-2 years or can step in right now.
It's scary doing that with the Russian guys to be honest. Because the KHL isn't scared of throwing money at players. Unlike the Nordic/Northern European leagues that don't really match NHL salaries, a 20 year old break out Russian star will have the choice to go to North America for an ELC, or some Russian billionaire will throw a hefty contract at him.

I'd rather take a kid who's ready to go. I don't mind sheltered minutes in the NHL even, but should be a present-1 year turn over for the top 7 pick we get.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Lindholm is my pick now.
Hopefully a team like Nashville can wake up already, same as Raleigh. Move from the Mack/Drouin/Barkov region into the Monahan/Lindholm region... Not the end of the world, but there's a clear difference between the two.
We are in full tank mode; massive injuries and a pseudo-AHL roster. I could see us easily losing the rest of our games (@CHI, CGY, @DET, @CBJ).

Old
04-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Stewie Griffin
Stewie Hockey™

vCash: 468
Quote:
We're (probably) not competitive for a few years now anyways, so really, what does it matter if he's not coming over for two more years?

Old
04-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
We're (probably) not competitive for a few years now anyways, so really, what does it matter if he's not coming over for two more years?
Well, being a basement dweller can be fun if we have individuals to cheer on, and good stories to watch unfold. Too bad it didn't work out for Sven this year, but it would be nice to have a Calder candidate to watch.

Also, I wonder just how competitive we can be. It seems almost like the veterans have been holding us back these last few years. The kids seem to be playing our system much better than Iggy and Tanguay, and it is resulting in wins at a time when we have no business winning.

It reminds me of teams like Ottawa and Montreal, who have remained competitive not in spite of their AHL guys coming up onto their roster, but because of them. They are much more reliable in terms of playing a system and competing night in and night out.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:18 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
Well, being a basement dweller can be fun if we have individuals to cheer on, and good stories to watch unfold. Too bad it didn't work out for Sven this year, but it would be nice to have a Calder candidate to watch.

Also, I wonder just how competitive we can be. It seems almost like the veterans have been holding us back these last few years. The kids seem to be playing our system much better than Iggy and Tanguay, and it is resulting in wins at a time when we have no business winning.

It reminds me of teams like Ottawa and Montreal, who have remained competitive not in spite of their AHL guys coming up onto their roster, but because of them. They are much more reliable in terms of playing a system and competing night in and night out.
Good thing Sven will be eligible next season then eh?

Old
04-18-2013, 11:43 AM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Basically this. Plus i wouldnt put Monohan or Lindholm in next year anyways, the only rookies i could see us playing are Drouin, Mackinnon and Jones.

Nikki would have a Tarasenko like growth, play in the KHL for next year and the year after, come to the Flames in 2015 when we have Sam Reinhart and Mcdavid already. By then the Flames should be good enough.

We're going to be brutal next year anyways as an 82 game season will separate the bad (Calgary) from the mediocre (Nashville, Colorado) more so than this short season. (a 3 game winning streak wont put us out of a top 3 pick next year).

Old
04-18-2013, 11:45 AM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post

I would agree, but its been such a small sample size(less than 10 games since the deadline). Playing Reinhart/Sven/Horak etc. next year for 82 games is going to show us more holes than this year will, the kids are running off emotion, they are loving their first shot in the NHL.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:45 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Agreed. We should be taking BPA if that is the Russian, then you take him.

We wont be competitive really next year and maybe not the year after. We can afford to wait.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:57 PM
tfong

I'd take nikki with our other late round pick but I'm not sure if he lasts till the end of the first round.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:59 PM
herashak

Quote:
I'd take nikki with our other late round pick but I'm not sure if he lasts till the end of the first round.
no way we get him with our other 1st. he goes from 5-10 most likely. and if he drops it wont be all the way to 20.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:20 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
It's scary doing that with the Russian guys to be honest. Because the KHL isn't scared of throwing money at players. Unlike the Nordic/Northern European leagues that don't really match NHL salaries, a 20 year old break out Russian star will have the choice to go to North America for an ELC, or some Russian billionaire will throw a hefty contract at him.

I'd rather take a kid who's ready to go. I don't mind sheltered minutes in the NHL even, but should be a present-1 year turn over for the top 7 pick we get.
And it's happened a grand total of twice...

Tarasenko and Kuznetzov are the only guys to have it happen and one of them came over (Radulov left the NHL to go back. That's a different circumstance and even then it's not an occurence that happens often. Hudler did it and came back)

It's a stupid argument that has little evidence to support it. Sorry to rant at you

Old
04-18-2013, 02:23 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Agreed. We should be taking BPA if that is the Russian, then you take him.

We wont be competitive really next year and maybe not the year after. We can afford to wait.
I think a big indicator is that Craig Button has said multiple times that he thinks teams should not be afraid to draft him top 5.

Its been pretty obvious in the past that the Button brothers talk and they share similar opinions about players.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:36 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I think a big indicator is that Craig Button has said multiple times that he thinks teams should not be afraid to draft him top 5.

Its been pretty obvious in the past that the Button brothers talk and they share similar opinions about players.
If we draft him 5 or later, I am fine with that. He looks like a great player.

If we take him ahead of: Jones, Drouin, MacKinnon or Barkov..

I will not be impressed

Closed Thread