Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 02:34 PM

vCash: 500
Funny thing is I think the Flames are ahead of the Oilers on the rebuild. They have been going for 7 years and I do not see a playoff team next year with their roster. They do not have that many assets to trade either. We need to draft well and trade a few more assets next season along with one tank year. We can then chase a few choice FA's and get back to competing for the playoffs.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
can see nurse getting picked before barkov
How do you figure that?
Nurse isn't even 2nd on the D-men ranking on any scouting service. He's not even 3rd actually lol.

If it stays like this:
Florida, Colorado, Tampa, Nashville, Carolina, Edmonton, Calgary (Although I think Edmonton might finish ahead of Calgary).

Based on my own evaluations on each team, and from what position they'll be drafting from:

Seth Jones, Jonathan Drouin, Nate MacKinnon, Sasha Barkov, Nikita Zadorov, Sean Monahan, Elias Lindholm.

Breakdown:
Florida drafts the best player available at 1. Colorado, has three young strong centers; but will look to bolster the wing. Tampa jumps at the chance to grab Nate MacKinnon. Nashville, having one of the thinnest forward groups in the league; go for Barkov, he fits their mold quite a bit, big strong and two way.
Carolina looks at their front 6 and says, this is really nice. They look at their backend, and say, this isn't so nice. They go for a homerun and grab the young Russian to look to stabilize a defense that has been one of the relatively poor ones in the name department for years.
Edmonton gives in, while they are mega skilled at center, they have no real two way presence or JoaT center. They grab Monahan.
Calgary grab Lindholm, as I believe they will going into this draft.

I didn't forget about the other young Russian. Due to the knowledge he won't be near North America for two years, teams leading in pass; until either the Devils or the Sabres grab him around ~10.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
Funny thing is I think the Flames are ahead of the Oilers on the rebuild. They have been going for 7 years and I do not see a playoff team next year with their roster. They do not have that many assets to trade either. We need to draft well and trade a few more assets next season along with one tank year. We can then chase a few choice FA's and get back to competing for the playoffs.
They have assets to trade, but I doubt they'd be willing to move them.
Hall or Yakupov could bring them a number 1 shut down D-man; but I doubt they move any of their big 4... even though in a few years they won't be able to afford them + Schultz... + any free agent they want to get better with.

As I've said before, it's just poor Asset management. Although, to be fair, Calgary's not near close to being fully rebuilt... they just started in fact lol.

Old
04-22-2013, 02:41 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
nurse has the highest potential for any d man besides jones. big, athletic, mean streak, high ceiling.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Trae

Quote:
I am starting to sound like an oilers fan in this thread, but there is a serious lack knowledge here. They have plenty of assets to trade, far more than we do and infinitely more valuable. To say we are further along in the rebuild than they are is just pure ignorance. They have great pieces and YES they can afford all of the big four in the future. But I honestly believe one of Yakupov or Eberle will be gone by summer's end, along with Gagner.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:21 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
How do you figure that?
Nurse isn't even 2nd on the D-men ranking on any scouting service. He's not even 3rd actually lol.

If it stays like this:
Florida, Colorado, Tampa, Nashville, Carolina, Edmonton, Calgary (Although I think Edmonton might finish ahead of Calgary).

Based on my own evaluations on each team, and from what position they'll be drafting from:

Seth Jones, Jonathan Drouin, Nate MacKinnon, Sasha Barkov, Nikita Zadorov, Sean Monahan, Elias Lindholm.

Breakdown:
Florida drafts the best player available at 1. Colorado, has three young strong centers; but will look to bolster the wing. Tampa jumps at the chance to grab Nate MacKinnon. Nashville, having one of the thinnest forward groups in the league; go for Barkov, he fits their mold quite a bit, big strong and two way.
Carolina looks at their front 6 and says, this is really nice. They look at their backend, and say, this isn't so nice. They go for a homerun and grab the young Russian to look to stabilize a defense that has been one of the relatively poor ones in the name department for years.
Edmonton gives in, while they are mega skilled at center, they have no real two way presence or JoaT center. They grab Monahan.
Calgary grab Lindholm, as I believe they will going into this draft.

I didn't forget about the other young Russian. Due to the knowledge he won't be near North America for two years, teams leading in pass; until either the Devils or the Sabres grab him around ~10.
Are you just making things up?

ISS has Nurse ranked 6th overall, and as the 2nd best defender in the draft.
Craig Button has Nurse ranked 6th overall, and as the 2nd best defender in the draft.
The Hockey News has Nurse ranked 8th overall, and as the 2nd best defender in the draft.
McKeen's had Nurse ranked #9 in March, and as the 3rd best defender in the draft.

Central scouting is releasing their final list tomorrow, so we shall see where they have him slotted. I would assume it will be right in the 5-10 range yet again.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:30 PM
JurassicTunga

vCash: 575
So, with a win tomorrow(which is likely, imo) and losses by New Jersey, Buffalo and Philly, we can jump up to 10th overall in the draft (I think anyway)

Juuuust great.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:59 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Missing out on the top 7 or 8 guys in this draft would be awful.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:02 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Missing out on the top 7 or 8 guys in this draft would be awful.
This. The talent/potential drops off quite a bit after the top 8. I think we will end up picking outside of it personally. We should beat Nashville tomorrow night. It's kind of a shame we played our way out of a top 3 pick but it's nice to see the team win. I just hope we can end up with Lindholm or Monaghan.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Are you just making things up?
Yeah, I just make things up.
Pretty much when I post I expect aggressive d-ish responses like that.

Negative, for a reason or another my ISS ranking page is saved on the January; I most definitely just figured that out.
CSB/CSS midterms have him 3rd on the North American side.
Last TSN (not, Button, Christ not Button) had him over 10.

Also, the last part of him not being third, is a personal opinion of mine. So, no, I wasn't wasn't making things up, I was simply not observing the proper month report, and looking at different sources.

Nice way to come comment, on my mistake though.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Trae

Quote:

Negative, for a reason or another my ISS ranking page is saved on the January; I most definitely just figured that out.
CSB midterms have him 3rd on the North American side.

Also, the last part of him not being third, is a personal opinion of mine. So, no, I wasn't wasn't making things up, I was simply not observing the proper month report, and looking at different sources.

I thought it was a pretty solid response, personally. Though I don't necessarily agree with HLM, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Nurse or another defender jump up in the selection and go top 5.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
I thought it was a pretty solid response, personally. Though I don't necessarily agree with HLM, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Nurse or another defender jump up in the selection and go top 5.
Wouldn't mind the response, had the first part been left out. I don't mind being called out when I make a mistake; because I definitely made one not looking at the right month.

It's the way people go about getting it across. I'm also trying trying not to use a variety of terms I normally would; because I'm getting too many warnings LOL

Old
04-22-2013, 04:53 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga View Post
So, with a win tomorrow(which is likely, imo) and losses by New Jersey, Buffalo and Philly, we can jump up to 10th overall in the draft (I think anyway)

Juuuust great.
Ugh...im not going to cheer for this team to lose. But damn, we need a decent pick this year..

Old
04-22-2013, 05:00 PM
JurassicTunga

vCash: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Ugh...im not going to cheer for this team to lose. But damn, we need a decent pick this year..
I really hope we can win the draft lottery. We deserve it.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:01 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
I really hope we can win the draft lottery. We deserve it.
If the hockey gods exist, we will win that lottery.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:10 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 712
Quote:

Juuuust great.
Strictly IMO, there's not a lot of difference in the players we might choose between 6-10; the big dogs will all go top five (the regular three plus Barkov & Nichkushin) and someone like Lindholm may well be available at ten. Or Monahan. Etc.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:20 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Strictly IMO, there's not a lot of difference in the players we might choose between 6-10; the big dogs will all go top five (the regular three plus Barkov & Nichkushin) and someone like Lindholm may well be available at ten. Or Monahan. Etc.
That will all depend on how highly the 2nd-teir D men are rated.

Ristolainen and Pulock would both likely need to be picked in order for one of Lindholm or Monahan to fall to tenth.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:24 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:

CSB/CSS midterms have him 3rd on the North American side.

It was not meant to come off that way.
I was simply wondering how you came to such a conclusion when from all accounts Nurse is now considered the consensus 2nd best defender in the draft (not that it means a whole lot come draft day). I was hoping you would point me to another source saying otherwise, but we now know that you were accidently basing your opinion(s) off of mid term reports from January which clears things up.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

Team 1 25.0%

Team 2 18.8%

Team 3 14.2%

Team 4 10.7%

Team 5 8.1%

Team 6 6.2%

Team 7 4.7%

Team 8 3.6%

Team 9 2.7%

Team 10 2.1%

Team 11 1.5%

Team 12 1.1%

Team 13 0.8%

Team 14 0.5%

A week from now we find our fate. 0.5% sucks....

Old
04-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

I'd love to get Gauthier/Pulock/Shinkaruk is we find ourselves picking around 10th.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
I am starting to sound like an oilers fan in this thread, but there is a serious lack knowledge here. They have plenty of assets to trade, far more than we do and infinitely more valuable. To say we are further along in the rebuild than they are is just pure ignorance. They have great pieces and YES they can afford all of the big four in the future. But I honestly believe one of Yakupov or Eberle will be gone by summer's end, along with Gagner.
Oilers are a joke. They overpaid and over hyped their young guns. If they are ahead of the Flames, it is not by much. RNH has done nothing yet to prove he will be a 1st line center. Eberle looks bored. Yaks has talent but he won't lead a team anywhere. I like Hall. Gagner is more like a 3rd line center. They have a few average dmen and not sure about goaltending. Tell me how they are way ahead? Watch them play and then tell me.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
Oilers are a joke. They overpaid and over hyped their young guns. If they are ahead of the Flames, it is not by much. RNH has done nothing yet to prove he will be a 1st line center. Eberle looks bored. Yaks has talent but he won't lead a team anywhere. I like Hall. Gagner is more like a 3rd line center. They have a few average dmen and not sure about goaltending. Tell me how they are way ahead? Watch them play and then tell me.
RNH had a slow start, but he has more talent and potential than anyone on the Flames. He's proven he can be a top 6 forward, and he's only going to get better. As for Gagner, he's easily a top 6 center. He never had much for linemates in the past.

As for those saying we're ahead of the Oilers rebuild... really? We win 6 of 8 games, and a few young guys do well, and suddenly we're ahead? We're nowhere even close.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
RNH had a slow start, but he has more talent and potential than anyone on the Flames. He's proven he can be a top 6 forward, and he's only going to get better. As for Gagner, he's easily a top 6 center. He never had much for linemates in the past.

As for those saying we're ahead of the Oilers rebuild... really? We win 6 of 8 games, and a few young guys do well, and suddenly we're ahead? We're nowhere even close.
We have a long way to go but we may beat the Oilers to it. Seven years and look at that team! They need to start a new rebuild around their 4 actual players. If you keep believing their management that they will be good soon then bet on them. I don't see them winning anytime soon.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:44 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
we won't pass, Detroit,PHX,Dallas,Winnipeg,

we most likely won't pass Buffalo,Philly,

we most likely pass NJ

so we will pick between 7-10

Which puts us in the Lindholh,Shinkaruk,Monahan,Zadorov

Old
04-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

Can someone clarify this year's draft lottery?

Is the lottery only to determine the 1st overall pick? or to determine the 1-14 rankings?

Closed Thread