2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 08:05 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensational View Post
Can someone clarify this year's draft lottery?

Is the lottery only to determine the 1st overall pick? or to determine the 1-14 rankings?
lottery is just for the first pick

Old
04-22-2013, 08:52 PM
RA9

vCash: 500
lol @ cocky fans saying we're ahead of edmonton in the rebuild.

we're not. edmonton will make the playoffs before we do, but at the same time we don't need to finish in the bottom 2 for 3 years to build a team.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA9 View Post

we're not. edmonton will make the playoffs before we do, but at the same time we don't need to finish in the bottom 2 for 3 years to build a team.
Please give me the winning lotto numbers while your at it, brah.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:20 PM
herashak

i think the oilers make the playoffs in 2 years we make them in 3

Old
04-22-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:

Not a cocky Flames fan or even a Flames fan. Pull your head out of your butt and watch the Oilers. They are horrible.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Qubax

it really sucks that we went from Drouin, Jones or Mackinnon down to Barkov, Nikushkin, Monahan, or Lindholm.

Still a good player sure, but no one really more exciting then Baerstchi or even Gaudreau...

Having a Mackinnon, would be like having a Tavares, Stamkos, Hall etc., sell the jerseys, face of the franchise.

Is Nikushkin or Monahan going to be a face of the franchise guy?

I guess I'm really confident that we'll be top 2 or 3 in the in the 14' and 15' drafts and the good news about that is we'll still get a McDavid etc., down the line...just sucks that a few relatively meaningless wins could really set back the rebuild.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:12 PM
nogger
ploffs?

Quote:

Getting Edmonton fans riled up by telling them our rebuild is going faster is one of the finer things in life.

Cheer up cupcake.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:15 PM
JurassicTunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
it really sucks that we went from Drouin, Jones or Mackinnon down to Barkov, Nikushkin, Monahan, or Lindholm.

Still a good player sure, but no one really more exciting then Baerstchi or even Gaudreau...

Having a Mackinnon, would be like having a Tavares, Stamkos, Hall etc., sell the jerseys, face of the franchise.

Is Nikushkin or Monahan going to be a face of the franchise guy?

I guess I'm really confident that we'll be top 2 or 3 in the in the 14' and 15' drafts and the good news about that is we'll still get a McDavid etc., down the line...just sucks that a few relatively meaningless wins could really set back the rebuild.
We might not be in Monahan/Lindholm range with the way we are playing and the tanking other teams are doing. We might have to talk about Shinkaruk soon.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:30 PM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga View Post
We might not be in Monahan/Lindholm range with the way we are playing and the tanking other teams are doing. We might have to talk about Shinkaruk soon.
I think we would have to look at trading up if came to that.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:48 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
I think we would have to look at trading up if came to that.
What pieces would get us to trade up? We are in no position to be giving up one of our first round picks this year. We need to keep them and get 3 solid future players out of them. Nor should we trade any of our high end prospects to trade up.
We can hope to win the lottery, next to impossible, or take a guy like Pulock or Shinaruk and 2 others and say this is the year we get the role players/2nd line talent. And then hope for a top end player next season

Old
04-22-2013, 11:51 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Part of the reason I think the oilers are struggling is because they never really drafted good depth or role players, they just picked the consensus number 1 talent every year. We have the opportunity with 3 first rounders to get depth (good 2nd line talent/D-men) and hope we hit a homerun with 1 of them. Then take the top end talent next year or the year after as I suspect we will be among the bottom feeders in a longer season.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Part of the reason I think the oilers are struggling is because they never really drafted good depth or role players, they just picked the consensus number 1 talent every year. We have the opportunity with 3 first rounders to get depth (good 2nd line talent/D-men) and hope we hit a homerun with 1 of them. Then take the top end talent next year or the year after as I suspect we will be among the bottom feeders in a longer season.
Not so much that they haven't drafted good depth, its just simply that it hasn't developed as quickly as their top picks did. Given time, I'm sure we'll see it happen.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:05 AM
TheGaudfather
#Unsustainable

I think I would trade 8th overall + St Louis 1st round pick to move to top 5.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Trae

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
Oilers are a joke. They overpaid and over hyped their young guns. If they are ahead of the Flames, it is not by much. RNH has done nothing yet to prove he will be a 1st line center. Eberle looks bored. Yaks has talent but he won't lead a team anywhere. I like Hall. Gagner is more like a 3rd line center. They have a few average dmen and not sure about goaltending. Tell me how they are way ahead? Watch them play and then tell me.
I've probably caught about 15-20 games of the oilers this year and can say with confidence that they are in better shape for the future than we are. Sure they need to be better, but they also need a competent GM who is committed to winning and who will add important pieces to the roster. We'll see how MacT does. I'm not going to dispute with you though since it is fairly evident you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:09 AM
tfong

Lindholm, nickushin and hagg would be a nice three picks

Old
04-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I'll be quite flabbergasted if Nichuskin falls to the St. Louis pick. I'll actually be surprised if he slips past Tampa, as they seem to be becoming Russian Colony these days.

Edit: I hadn't realized Tampa had slid to third last. NVM last statement.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Trae

This is the exact scenario I didn't want the flames to be in come this time of year. I knew it would happen though

Old
04-23-2013, 12:24 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
This is the exact scenario I didn't want the flames to be in come this time of year. I knew it would happen though
What that kids like Sven,Horak,Brodie,Backlund,Cundari prove themselves as nhl players and capable of winning game without Iggy or Kipper, yea that is what everyone was fearing

This is crazy how can you not be happy and impressed with the rookies doing so well? I understand wanting a top pick but is no good rookies + top 3 pick really better than a top 10 pick and 4/5 good rookies?

Old
04-23-2013, 12:30 AM
TylerSVT*

Quote:

Edmonton has messed up basically all of their ELC contracts. Their core is now used to losing, they wont put in an effort when it matters, and they feel they can take games off.

They have a loser atmosphere around a loser team and nothing would make me happier than to see them drafting 13th overall for the next 100 years. Useless franchise that should be moved or relegated to the AHL.
2-8-0 in their last 10...
Tell me how they are so great again...

Old
04-23-2013, 12:32 AM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Nichuskin will go top 6 most likely.

We would be lucky to get either Lindholm or Nikki at this point.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Trae

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
What that kids like Sven,Horak,Brodie,Backlund,Cundari prove themselves as nhl players and capable of winning game without Iggy or Kipper, yea that is what everyone was fearing

This is crazy how can you not be happy and impressed with the rookies doing so well? I understand wanting a top pick but is no good rookies + top 3 pick really better than a top 10 pick and 4/5 good rookies?
I am not saying its a bad thing necessarily, just that before the season started I either wanted to be in the playoffs or get a top 5 pick. I have been cheering Calgary on every one of these 6 games, I am completely happy if they win their remaining games. Doesn't mean missing out on a top 5 player doesn't suck. Don't assume I'm wishing for them to fail like others here. I'm indifferent and whatever happens, happens. Of course I'm happy they are winning, get off my dick. This is a sensitive situation that the flames are in, don't be silly and ignore the fact that fans will naturally be torn and conflicted with any outcome of each game.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:43 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
I am not saying its a bad thing necessarily, just that before the season started I either wanted to be in the playoffs or get a top 5 pick. I have been cheering Calgary on every one of these 6 games, I am completely happy if they win their remaining games. Doesn't mean missing out on a top 5 player doesn't suck. Don't assume I'm wishing for them to fail like others here. I'm indifferent and whatever happens, happens.
To be honest I am more than happy missing a top 5 pick and getting someone like Monahan or Lindholm and having young players that are ready to play next year than to have potentially nothing next year except a top 5 pick. Look at Edmonton they could potentially have their 6th top 10 pick in 7 years and still not have made the playoffs. They have accepted losing and it shows, I am glad this team isn't allowed to quit it will do more for them in the long run.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Trae

Quote:
To be honest I am more than happy missing a top 5 pick and getting someone like Monahan or Lindholm and having young players that are ready to play next year than to have potentially nothing next year except a top 5 pick. Look at Edmonton they could potentially have their 6th top 10 pick in 7 years and still not have made the playoffs. They have accepted losing and it shows, I am glad this team isn't allowed to quit it will do more for them in the long run.
I am incredibly happy to see them compete right now, especially seeing the kids perform. I don't really think it reflects on our "bright future" as much as people think though since the games are meaningless and there is zero pressure on them at the moment. But it is more than admirable to see them play with integrity and I would be proud to say that we have never drafted in the top 3 (at least for now). Like I said, whatever happens, happens, I'll accept any outcome personally, I'm just hoping the hockey gods reward our good karma with a lottery win.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:55 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Uhm...such as?

None of the impact guys like Janowski or Gaudreau are close yet. The only really good prospect we may see full time next year is Reinhart.

Brodie, Bart, Backlund are all pretty much regulars at this point imo. I know Bart is still Calder eligible.

I dunno, just don't think we will have too much to look forward to next year honestly.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:59 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Uhm...such as?

None of the impact guys like Janowski or Gaudreau are close yet. The only really good prospect we may see full time next year is Reinhart.

Brodie, Bart, Backlund are all pretty much regulars at this point imo. I know Bart is still Calder eligible.

I dunno, just don't think we will have too much to look forward to next year honestly.
Cundari,Backlund,Brodie,Horak,Sven,Bouma most likely will all be on the team next year and all are under 24 how that isn't young nhl talent I don't know.

Players such as Aliu,Breen,Reinhart also have a shot at the team next year.

We most likely won't make the playoffs but if you need a top 5 pick to be excited about this team you are vastly underrating what we currently have.

Closed Thread