Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
ISS March Rankings.

Here's their Top Five
1. Seth Jones
2. Valery Nichushkin
3. Nathan MacKinnon
4. Jonathan Drouin
5. Darnell Nurse

IF the Flames picked off that list (and the season ended today, and the lottery doesn't change things)...

#3 - Nathan MacKinnon (C, Halifax, QMJHL)
#18 - Alexander Wennberg (C, Djurgarden, SweJE)
#29 - Nic Petan (C, Portland, WHL)
Barkov kind of dropped. In a dream world Flames trade up, Barkov drops and we leave the draft Mackinnon and Barkov!

Old
04-07-2013, 01:01 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
ISS March Rankings.

Here's their Top Five
1. Seth Jones
2. Valery Nichushkin
3. Nathan MacKinnon
4. Jonathan Drouin
5. Darnell Nurse

IF the Flames picked off that list (and the season ended today, and the lottery doesn't change things)...

#3 - Nathan MacKinnon (C, Halifax, QMJHL)
#18 - Alexander Wennberg (C, Djurgarden, SweJE)
#29 - Nic Petan (C, Portland, WHL)
This is probably the most controversial draft I can remember. Some people have Domi and Hagg as high as 14/15 others have them 28/29. Some have Nurse falling to 8/9 some have him pushing into the top 5, Barkov is as high as 3 and low as 6. Just crazy I hope it means there is a ton of depth and not alot of mediocrity.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Noori

vCash: 751
Quote:
Andrew Walker ‏@fan960walker 11h
The more scouts I talk to- the more say that McKinnon may project as a winger in the NHL- Barkov, a Kopitar-type player
This is... interesting. I don't see Barkov being like Kopitar. Kopitar's skating is explosive as hell and by all reports, Barkov's isn't.

If he can convince the Flames that he wants to play in North America, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Valeri Nichushkin. He's listed as a C and a LW so let's hope he likes center better. I see more of Kopitar in him than I do in Barkov.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Adirondack Flames
Unofficial

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
This is... interesting. I don't see Barkov being like Kopitar. Kopitar's skating is explosive as hell and by all reports, Barkov's isn't.

If he can convince the Flames that he wants to play in North America, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Valeri Nichushkin. He's listed as a C and a LW so let's hope he likes center better. I see more of Kopitar in him than I do in Barkov.
I don't think he is a C at all anymore, plus he is signed to the KHL for 2 seasons after this one. His number are so high because he is playing in the league under the KHL too, with many reports calling him a selfish player.

Also ISS ratings have historically been a bit suspect, not sure how much stock I would put in them.

Last edited by Adirondack Flames: 04-07-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old
04-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Noori

vCash: 751
I don't claim to have seen any of these players in depth, so I'll leave it up to the Flames. If we come way with one of Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, or Nichushkin, I'll be happy. And if we can nab Lazar or Pulock with the St. Louis pick I'll be ecstatic.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:03 PM
herashak

vCash: 159
will lazar switch to the wing

Old
04-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Ashasx

vCash: 500
I see Barkov as a Joe Thornton-lite type of player. Not at all like Kopitar.

Also, I disgree with the concerns about MacKinnon playing centre. He's as much a centre as anyone in the CHL right now. He will be just fine adjusting to the NHL.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 0
Quote:

This is what ISS has to say about Nichushkin:

Quote:
Regarding Nichushkin’s move to #2 in our ISS Top 30, we thought it would make sense to discuss our reasoning. Also keep in mind that we are talking about 17 year old “boys”, so being in the top 30, top 10, top 5, top anything is an incredible achievement. Our job is to help our customers to make the best decisions they can when it’s their time to make their draft selections at the June NHL draft. There is still plenty of time between now and then to see these prospects in action, so movement will still occur in our ISS Top 30.

So we can use one word to describe Nichushkin: “UPSIDE”

This 17 year old is already playing in the KHL, the second best league in the world. He’s already 6’4″ and 204 lbs. We project him to be 6’5″ and 225 lbs. An experienced scout can see from his on ice swagger that he’s going to develop into a great hockey player. He has all the tools offensively (creativity, size, dynamic hands, and is a natural sniper). He is literally a highlight reel, with an ability to amaze with an up-ice rush.

His main issue right now is consistency shift to shift. We predict that he will overcome that as part of his development as he gets older and more mature.

We’ve been watching Nichushkin since he was 15, and we have been continually impressed by his development. If you’re not in any way convinced, take a look at this highlight video from a KHL game yesterday:

http://youtu.be/MIufJGCCPjQ
That he's able to achieve this level of play in a league where he's a boy among men, I'd be fine with Nichushkin.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:23 PM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:

I would be unless he can scrap that contract. I wouldn't take him top 5 with the KHL factor.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
It's possible Nichuskin falls quite a bit, maybe even outside the top ten because of the Russian factor. It's a similar situtation to Chereponov's and he slipped all the way to 20th.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:52 PM
gdaddy21

Lets keep it real here, if Feaster is doing the drafting, he's going to end up trying something "creative".

Old
04-07-2013, 04:53 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
It's possible Nichuskin falls quite a bit, maybe even outside the top ten because of the Russian factor. It's a similar situtation to Chereponov's and he slipped all the way to 20th.
Grigorenko fell last year (not for the same reasons) but he fell out of the top5 into 12th. Also TT an Forsberg both fell from top 5 to 11 and 18, it seems once a player starts to fall from the top 5 they make it past 10 if that is the case we could potentially get him by trading up on draft day.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy21 View Post
Lets keep it real here, if Feaster is doing the drafting, he's going to end up trying something "creative".
Weisbrod's in charge of drafting. Feaster's power includes trading picks, but it's unlikely he'd have the authority to unilaterally move the Flames first rounder at this point. If the Flames move down in the draft, it'd be because Weisbrod suggests it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Grigorenko fell last year (not for the same reasons) but he fell out of the top5 into 12th. Also TT an Forsberg both fell from top 5 to 11 and 18, it seems once a player starts to fall from the top 5 they make it past 10 if that is the case we could potentially get him by trading up on draft day.
Imagine the Flames landing one of Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov, and then Nichushkin with their second first rounder (whether he slips to 16th or the Flames trade up to get him). Two potential franchise forwards would be a heck of a coup.

Last edited by Calculon: 04-07-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old
04-07-2013, 05:05 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Imagine the Flames landing one of Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin/Barkov, and then Nichushkin with their second first rounder (whether he slips to 16th or the Flames trade up to get him). Two potential franchise forwards would be a heck of a coup.
Who are we kidding this is the Flames, the murphy's law of the NHL. Hello Max Domi at #2

Old
04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Who are we kidding this is the Flames, the murphy's law of the NHL. Hello Max Domi at #2
The sad truth.

Max Domi is probably too well known for the Flames; they'll probably use their second first to go after Steve Santini or Keaton Thompson.

Who? Exactly.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:13 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
The sad truth.

Max Domi is probably too well known for the Flames; they'll probably use their second first to go after Steve Santini or Keaton Thompson.

Who? Exactly.
Seriously I think I am going to change my name to Frankiswki Iginliski and make a website dedicated to my hockey ability and see if I can get picked in the 2nd round by us

Old
04-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Seriously I think I am going to change my name to Frankiswki Iginliski and make a website dedicated to my hockey ability and see if I can get picked in the 2nd round by us
You'll need to enter into a US college program first. Do that, and you're set.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:20 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
You'll need to enter into a US college program first. Do that, and you're set.
. As much as I love mocking our strange drafting/trading choices, we can't afford to **** this draft up.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
. As much as I love mocking our strange drafting/trading choices, we can't afford to **** this draft up.
As long as they don't do anything stupid and take one of the consensus top four or five players, assuming they're in a position to do so, they'll be fine.

Can't imagine the outrage if the Flames have the 3rd round pick and and we see Bettman walking to the podium to announce a trade.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:28 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
As long as they don't do anything stupid and take one of the consensus top four or five players, assuming they're in a position to do so, they'll be fine.

Can't imagine the outrage if the Flames have the 3rd round pick and and we see Bettman walking to the podium to announce a trade.
I still get the feeling we will move either STL pick or Pits pick or both for immediate help at center and defense.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:29 PM
gdaddy21

The funny thing i find with weisbrod is that he was the one who drafted Dwight Howard and jameer nelson for the magic, AND he traded away tracy mcgrady (franchise player), ultimately making the team better in the long run. Maybe he helps the flames do the same thing.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy21 View Post
The funny thing i find with weisbrod is that he was the one who drafted Dwight Howard and jameer nelson for the magic, AND he traded away tracy mcgrady (franchise player), ultimately making the team better in the long run. Maybe he helps the flames do the same thing.
That'd be nice, hopefully everything goes well. I hope to God that we don't go and use the 2nd/3rd overall and pick some player that would have been available at 15. Cannot afford to do that.

I will say, if they do it... There will be people on the Flames board who are still pushing that it was the right pick, their ceiling etc, etc...

Mac or Barkov please.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
I still get the feeling we will move either STL pick or Pits pick or both for immediate help at center and defense.
I can definitely see the Pittsburgh pick moving for an upgrade on defense. Maybe the St.Louis pick if Feaster's the one doing the negotiating. I think they hedge their bets on signing one of Roy/Weiss/Ribeiro in free agency, but with almost nothing there on defense, they'll have to make a trade to improve.

But if they're sticking to their word on not acquiring post-apex players, it's going to be awfully hard to find something. I suspect, with the way Feaster abstains from mentioning Backlund anytime he speaks of the future, that they move him as well. I hope not though.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:46 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I can definitely see the Pittsburgh pick moving for an upgrade on defense. Maybe the St.Louis pick if Feaster's the one doing the negotiating. I think they hedge their bets on signing one of Roy/Weiss/Ribeiro in free agency, but with almost nothing there on defense, they'll have to make a trade to improve.

But if they're sticking to their word on not acquiring post-apex players, it's going to be awfully hard to find something. I suspect, with the way Feaster abstains from mentioning Backlund anytime he speaks of the future, that they move him as well. I hope not though.
Looking at RFA's players I think we will target with one of the late firsts
Runblad,Cole,McDonagh (pipe dream)

Old
04-07-2013, 05:55 PM
herashak

vCash: 159
Quote:

If we could trade backlund to move from 18th to around 10 would you do it?

Closed Thread