HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Coverage of KHL in North America

Old
09-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Fulcrum

vCash: 500
Coverage of KHL in North America

How's the coverage of KHL in North America? I think it could use some work!

What do you think about the coverage in North America?

Last edited by Majik1987: 10-13-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: personal blog\
Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
How's the coverage of KHL in North America? I think it could use some work!

What do you think about the coverage in North America?
I know here in Alberta the WHL is getting more exposure, so the media is hanging their hat on the CHL for now. Personally I could care less about the KHL, probably due to the times that the games are played. The KHL will never come close to replacing the NHL lockout or not.

Last edited by Majik1987: 10-13-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: qe and response
Alberta tough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
I know here in Alberta the WHL is getting more exposure, so the media is hanging their hat on the CHL for now. Personally I could care less about the KHL, probably due to the times that the games are played. The KHL will never come close to replacing the NHL lockout or not.
I watch some CHL too, but if I could watch KHL 'game of the day' in the evening on TSN, I would. I think quiet a few NA fans would too, atleast for the remainder of the lockout. Especially if some Canadian players come over as well.

Last edited by Majik1987: 10-13-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: qe
Old
09-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Dont Hinder Jinder

vCash: 245
If it were televised I think I could get behind KHL hockey, only trouble I would have is getting used to the fact that this game has already been played and I can just google the score.

Dont Hinder Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
I watch some CHL too, but if I could watch KHL 'game of the day' in the evening on TSN, I would. I think quiet a few NA fans would too, atleast for the remainder of the lockout. Especially if some Canadian players come over as well.

This would make me more interested. It looks like the NA guys would prefer to play in other leagues thou.

Alberta tough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:48 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Not only KHL it'd be so cool if they show each league on an individual day. It's amazing to see all the difference customs and traditions in different venues and leagues around the World. Just the way the game is approached and delivered! Like Monday show a SKA St Petersburgh game, Tuesday Jokerit, Wednesday Frolunda, Thursday SC Bern, Friday Eisbären Berlin, and even show the game in Crotia which just got played in a roman coliseum that would be sooooooooooooo cool!!! I'm dreaming now, sorry lol. I should start my own Hockey station, and do that lol

But in all seriousness it'd be cool to see segments of how the game is in different parts of the World not only the actual games but other features as well, but doubt that ever happens.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Not only KHL it'd be so cool if they show each league on an individual day. It's amazing to see all the difference customs and traditions in different venues and leagues around the World. Just the way the game is approached and delivered! Like Monday show a SKA St Petersburgh game, Tuesday Jokerit, Wednesday Frolunda, Thursday SC Bern, Friday Eisbären Berlin, and even show the game in Crotia which just got played in a roman coliseum that would be sooooooooooooo cool!!! I'm dreaming now, sorry lol. I should start my own Hockey station, and do that lol

But in all seriousness it'd be cool to see segments of how the game is in different parts of the World not only the actual games but other features as well, but doubt that ever happens.
I don't think it's that unrealistic. When we have channels like GolTV and Fox World sports showcasing European soccer 24/7, it's not too far fetched to get some European hockey at least once in a while instead of Never.

Old
09-26-2012, 08:32 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
I don't think it's that unrealistic. When we have channels like GolTV and Fox World sports showcasing European soccer 24/7, it's not too far fetched to get some European hockey at least once in a while instead of Never.
Agreed, you think there could ever be a channel dedicated to solely Hockey around the world showing different games from different parts?! I mean wouldn't it be wicked to watch some Asian Hockey! Best commentator in the world!!! But seriously TSN 2 should at least pick up something other then showing nascar or whatever they're showing. . . i'm sure they'd get decent ratings, and i'm pretty sure the KHL all star game was broadcast on the same channel.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Everlong
-

Local sports programs have started showing KHL highlights the last day or two now. It's a start. I don't remember them doing this during the last lockout.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 10:26 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

Will the NA fans be satisfied with a 4:3 SD broadcast? Some of the KHL cities still don't have the equipment for the widescreen HD..

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Interesting take. I know here in Alberta the WHL is getting more exposure, so the media is hanging their hat on the CHL for now. Personally I could care less about the KHL, probably due to the times that the games are played. The KHL will never come close to replacing the NHL lockout or not.
If a NA television network chose to broadcast KHL games, they could delay the broadcast until prime time. There would be little chance of knowing the score in advance by watching TV or listening to the radio - there is no known NA media that broadcasts KHL scores. You could of course look it up on the internet, but you would have to make an effort to do it. The chance of building fan interest would probably be greater in the US, since Canada has a lot of local followers of the CHL.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:40 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
I don't see any reason to broadcast KHL in NA only for immigrants from countries that are in the league. For those NA fans who actually wanna see it, they can make an effort and see it online or download a torrent if there's no such ability during work.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
I don't see any reason to broadcast KHL in NA only for immigrants from countries that are in the league. For those NA fans who actually wanna see it, they can make an effort and see it online or download a torrent if there's no such ability during work.
who the hell is going to download a torrent of a KHL game?

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Someone who wants to watch some hockey? I used to watch torrented NHL games on a laptop when I had long roads.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 03:44 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
I already got my buddies many of them who play junior hockey hooked on the league since the lockout. The league definately has personality and as for skill - there is more of it than there is to the game style in the NHL. Many people said the finals for the Cup were boring because of the chip and chase style and lack of creativity. I am confident that if fans give games like Ska or Slovan a chance, they will be hooked. Both teams employ run and gun offense and are broadcasted in HD with full crowds. The energy, creativity, pace and excitement of the games have re invented hockey for me. I am a canadian and prefer this 100x over the boringness of many NHL games (with exception to the Detroit Red Wings).

Last edited by malkinfan: 09-27-2012 at 04:00 PM.
malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Will the NA fans be satisfied with a 4:3 SD broadcast? Some of the KHL cities still don't have the equipment for the widescreen HD..
I'd watch it on an ipod mini, 20 feet away, with binoculars. That's how hockey starved alot of Canadians are right now.

I don't think the majority would stick around after the lockout ends, but at very least it would familiarize NA fans with the names of teams/players/etc.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 05:43 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
If a NA television network chose to broadcast KHL games, they could delay the broadcast until prime time. There would be little chance of knowing the score in advance by watching TV or listening to the radio - there is no known NA media that broadcasts KHL scores. You could of course look it up on the internet, but you would have to make an effort to do it. The chance of building fan interest would probably be greater in the US, since Canada has a lot of local followers of the CHL.
This. I watch games after the fact and don't exactly have an issue with people spoiling it

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 06:45 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
i had been downloading torrrents of Russian football for a few years, before all the streaming and IPTV's came about. Don't see a problem with that if you wanna watch the game.

Old
09-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Mike Smitley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
i had been downloading torrrents of Russian football for a few years, before all the streaming and IPTV's came about. Don't see a problem with that if you wanna watch the game.
No need to download torrents when you can watch them live for free at onhockey.ru

Mike Smitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smitley View Post
No need to download torrents when you can watch them live for free at onhockey.ru
Quality of torrented games is much better.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2012, 10:45 PM
cska78

Quote:
I don't do it any longer (it was an answer to a question: why would one download a game if you can't watch it live)

Old
09-29-2012, 09:57 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Any updates if they are getting close or making any progress with a network in US?

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Mike Smitley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF AmericanLionsFan View Post
Any updates if they are getting close or making any progress with a network in US?
The KHL channel is already included in a network available to the US on http://www.vianettv.com/index.aspx but I'm sure the broadcasts are still in Russian or other home team language.

Another thread said the KHL is looking for English speaking announcers, so that's a good sign (I think.) I have to add that I'm impressed how quickly the KHL is adapting to make their league American-friendy. The speed with which they've been updating the English version of their website and rolling out an English online team shop makes me feel valuable. I can't remember the last time I felt this valuable at the NHL's behest.

Mike Smitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2012, 10:49 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
The KHL channel is already included in a network available to the US on http://www.vianettv.com/index.aspx but I'm sure the broadcasts are still in Russian or other home team language.

Another thread said the KHL is looking for English speaking announcers, so that's a good sign (I think.) I have to add that I'm impressed how quickly the KHL is adapting to make their league American-friendy. The speed with which they've been updating the English version of their website and rolling out an English online team shop makes me feel valuable. I can't remember the last time I felt this valuable at the NHL's behest.
What cable provider shows t;his channel? I have directv and they provide some russian channels,but costs quite a bit to add those channels per month..something like 40. I want to watch the league,but 40 a month is quite steep.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote