HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXVIII - "Watch out for that Tree"

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 10:06 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Re: Joyce Clark

If Joyce had been given tickets a few weeks back ( IE: Still on council ) then sure complain. In fact in a lot of places it is illegal / against the rules for elected officials to accept gifts like this. But, as it has been pointed out, she lost and is now a private citizen. She can take all the tickets she wants now. Her taking tickets is no more relevant now than Joyce herself is.

If she wants to tweet stupid things, well, that is public and we can still make fun of her.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:26 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Seattle will have a arena by start of 15-16 season
Is that officially confirmed ?

I wanna know because if that is the case, I want Mayor Labaume to go to Seattle and hire ALL YOUR CONTRACTORS RIGHT EFFIN NAO !

Our arena is under construction for about 6 months now and is planned to open in September 2015.

If what you say is true, while I do not know the date of the first shovel in Seattle (but know it's not done yet) I wonder how you guys can build it in less time (read one year less).

Old
01-21-2013, 10:33 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post

I wanna know because if that is the case, I want Mayor Labaume to go to Seattle and hire ALL YOUR CONTRACTORS RIGHT EFFIN NAO !

Our arena is under construction for about 6 months now and is planned to open in September 2015.

If what you say is true, while I do not know the date of the first shovel in Seattle (but know it's not done yet) I wonder how you guys can build it in less time (read one year less).
Keep in mind, Seattle can work 52 weeks per year. Doesn't QC have to slow way down in the winter months?

01-21-2013, 10:38 PM
aqib

Quote:

Seattle is on the verge of finalizing a deal to move the Sacramento Kings there. Now this is a real on the verge not a Coyotes on the verge. The plan call for them to play in the Key Arena for 2 years and move into a new one in 2015.

As for why they can get it done so fast, I'm not sure. It maybe because they don't have the permafrost issue.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Can NHL hockey be played in Key Arena for two years? Would the BoG allow such a thing?

Old
01-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Can NHL hockey be played in Key Arena for two years? Would the BoG allow such a thing?
Could be done, cost a pretty penny, but they scoped it all out with an Engineers Report & costing last year. If they land an NHL franchise, they'll receive another $80M to go towards the new arena so certainly theyve got the incentive to do so. As for the BOG's approving a team playing temporarily out of Key Arena, ya, sure, I dont see why they wouldnt go for that. Far from ideal & costly, similar to the old AWA days in Phoenix but that'd be Levin's or whomever it is that might own the teams problem. The league Im sure would be ecstatic to finally get a foothold on the US side up here in the Pacific Northwest, Seattle potentially a superior market to San Jose & elsewhere if executed properly... which leads in to the Greg Jamison West Coast Conspiracy mumbo jumbo. How "real" that one might be is anyones guess.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:26 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Keep in mind, Seattle can work 52 weeks per year. Doesn't QC have to slow way down in the winter months?
Canadian cities aren't built atop of polar ice, when the MTS Centre was constructed in Winnipeg work was done year round, I'm sure it's no different in QC.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:27 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:

Well nothing is official, but the thought is that a shovel won't be put into ground until a team is purchased (all but done) and EIS is done (rubber stamped approval). The notion is that the kings would play 13-14 and 14-15 in key arena and new arena for 15-16 season

Old
01-21-2013, 11:30 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Seattle is on the verge of finalizing a deal to move the Sacramento Kings there. Now this is a real on the verge not a Coyotes on the verge. The plan call for them to play in the Key Arena for 2 years and move into a new one in 2015.

As for why they can get it done so fast, I'm not sure. It maybe because they don't have the permafrost issue.
Just a note, but I believe Hansen has agreements or understandings with all of the unions, maybe red tape be cleared up faster

Old
01-21-2013, 11:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Canadian cities aren't built atop of polar ice, when the MTS Centre was constructed in Winnipeg work was done year round, I'm sure it's no different in QC.
Let's not seek out reasons to be offended. I very clearly remember reading about construction on the QC arena being drastically (at least in the earliest stages) effected by the winter.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:31 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
If its a temp situation? Someone mentioned that bill Daley was ok wit the yotes playing in American west arena?

Old
01-21-2013, 11:34 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
I very clearly remember reading about construction on the QC arena being drastically (at least in the earliest stages) effected by the winter.
QC cold rt? Gotta be careful, but doable...

Old
01-21-2013, 11:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
If its a temp situation? Someone mentioned that bill Daley was ok wit the yotes playing in American west arena?
Are the two comparable? I feel like I've read some pretty damning stuff about Key's viability as a temporary facility for NHL hockey. Basically that it is a substantially worse temporary facility for hockey than is colisee, for example.

EDIT: did a quick, unscientific google image search, and Key doesnt appear much worse than AWA for hockey. An old b-ball barn with a ton of useless seats (for hockey). Ad you said, if it worked in Phoenix for a while, I'm sure it could work in Seattle for a couple of seasons, if need be.

Last edited by rt: 01-21-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old
01-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
I havent read that anywhere, but it wouldnt surprise me if he did say so. If the Islanders are moving into what is essentially the same sort of configuration, the Coyotes from 96-03 playing out of the AWA and San Jose playing out of the Gawd Awful Cow Palace; Tampa Bay out of the Thunderdome etc, no reason why an NHL franchise couldnt play out of Key temporarily.

Quote:
Are the two comparable? I feel like I've read some pretty damning stuff about Key's viability as a temporary facility for NHL hockey. Basically that it is a substantially worse temporary facility for hockey than is colisee, for example.
No, there not really "comparable". Despite its age, the Colisee' is a hockey specific venue, and quite a nice one at that. Some people say "old", Id call it "character". Its got a real vibe to it, excellent site lines, just that its yesterdays model. A lot of memories in its bricks & mortar for the people of QC. Frankly, I think moving an NHL franchise into Key temporarily would be foolish & extremely costly, a brand new market for all intensive purposes, guaranteed youd bleed a whole lot of red ink for 2 or 3 years waiting for the new building to open.... and then what? What kind of Lease are you looking at?

Old
01-22-2013, 12:17 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I meant Key and AWA, not Key and Le Colisée. I do agree, though, I think Le Colisée is definitely the better temp venue. I do think both markets would do well long term, however, so I'm not sure it matters much who's got the better temp venue.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:16 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The floor in Key Arena was lowered about 20 feet many years ago making the hockey sight lines very prohibitive.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:22 AM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post

On the opposite side, Ice Edge, Hulsizer, and Jamison have held the opinion that the market can be viable in the future. Careful with the company you keep, you may be judged by it
Well put a technicolor Afro and some big red shoes on me.

You can also add Jerry Reinsdorf to the list.

However, over simplifying my statement to reflect a "conference win" and a ramped up marketing campaign is not what I was going for.

I agree that there are some rather large hurdles, but the level of disposible income is rising as the economy strengthens, and there is a disputable factor in regards to corporate inventory.

The difficulty with landing a bonafide investor is the necessary liquid assets required for a five to ten year operational turnaround. The selling price throws the franchises valuation out of line, however the City is serving up a subsidy to bring things back in line.

With an Arena Management agreement that leaves Concert revenues in the coffers affords an opportunity to build a strong Sports and Entertainment company to offset hockey losses.

If Jamison closes the sale, does it make his company any warmer?

Old
01-22-2013, 01:22 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Wait time was hour and a half + at every place at Westgate yesterday. Walked over to Gordon Biersch to finally get a table and food in time to make the 8PM drop. Are you going to tell me that the majority of the people in these restaurants, wearing hockey gear, are there by coincidence? Are we saying that Westgate doesn't do better on game day? Because that's just stupid, and we have tenants that explicitly state that they make more when the Coyotes are playing.
No one ever argued that point. They argued that the increased business does not generate $20 million per year in extra tax revenues.

At a 3% tax rate, the Yotes need to generate $667 million in revenues on those establishments. Think they do that???

Old
01-22-2013, 03:05 AM
objectiveposter

there are probably over a thousand bars/restaurants/shops/businesses in Glendale that pay taxes....not sure why they are so concerned about a handful of them that are effected by the coyotes... i have never seen a city so worried about how busy a couple of privately owned restaurants are

Old
01-22-2013, 05:32 AM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Good morning everyone....

...and for those that keep track...

No hurry Greg, no hurry, we know how these deals are "complicated"...

Last edited by Evil Doctor: 01-22-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old
01-22-2013, 06:20 AM
Material Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
QC cold rt? Gotta be careful, but doable...

If at least this picture was taken in Quebec City!

Old
01-22-2013, 07:02 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Shot in Qc city, this morning ;-)

Old
01-22-2013, 07:09 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post

Quebec city has permafrost? Damn I thought it was a temporary thing.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:55 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
The work is slowed down during winter, but not stopped, but yes that can be justification in part. I doubt that can explain almost a full year difference on overall project. I mean from the news I know, there is still Port issues and what not in Seattle. I am not saying it won't be done.

Quote:
Well nothing is official, but the thought is that a shovel won't be put into ground until a team is purchased (all but done) and EIS is done (rubber stamped approval). The notion is that the kings would play 13-14 and 14-15 in key arena and new arena for 15-16 season
So your workers are definitely working faster than ours...I suspect the union, they're pretty strong in Quebec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
Shot in Qc city, this morning ;-)

Not sure if trolling or what but that does not look like -25C/-13F

Old
01-22-2013, 07:58 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:

Not sure if trolling or what but that does not look like -25C/-13F

Everybody here lost its sense of humour.

Closed Thread