HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix LXVIII - "Watch out for that Tree"

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Undertakerqc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
Shot in Qc city, this morning ;-)

This guy is a troll!!! Showing a picture with green grass, and people walking with no winter coat on. Killion time to use your powers and punish him for his behaviour!! My dog went out to take a piss this morning, never came back. He was empale by his frozen piss!!!

Old
01-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Nordskull
WAITING FOR NORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
This guy is a troll!!! Showing a picture with green grass, and people walking with no winter coat on. Killion time to use your powers and punish him for his behaviour!! My dog went out to take a piss this morning, never came back. He was empale by his frozen piss!!!
I am guilty as charged. lol

Old
01-22-2013, 08:30 AM
OthmarAmmann
Omnishambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj8000 View Post
Not even close. We are talking about tickets to a hockey game after her term is up. No conflict, not even close to unethical, optics are fine except for a few here on HFBoards who want to find a smoking gun.

In a nutshell, she received a gift as a private citizen. Nothing more nothing less.

If you can show me any conflict of interest act from Arizona she has broken, I will amend my comment.
Conflict of interest act? I said ethically questionable, not freakin illegal!

She accepted a gift from a group that benefits from a massive subsidy (about 10% of the operating budget) less than eight weeks after voting in favor of it. Since she left office it's certainly not illegal, but legality is not the yardstick against which ethics is measured.

Letter of the law may guide your moral compass, but it certainly does not guide mine.

Old
01-22-2013, 08:55 AM
CasualFan
Tortious Beadicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
Well put a technicolor Afro and some big red shoes on me.

You can also add Jerry Reinsdorf to the list.

However, over simplifying my statement to reflect a "conference win" and a ramped up marketing campaign is not what I was going for.

I agree that there are some rather large hurdles, but the level of disposible income is rising as the economy strengthens, and there is a disputable factor in regards to corporate inventory.

The difficulty with landing a bonafide investor is the necessary liquid assets required for a five to ten year operational turnaround. The selling price throws the franchises valuation out of line, however the City is serving up a subsidy to bring things back in line.

With an Arena Management agreement that leaves Concert revenues in the coffers affords an opportunity to build a strong Sports and Entertainment company to offset hockey losses.

If Jamison closes the sale, does it make his company any warmer?
Good morning, ABD
It would be ideal if JIG would close. I didn't mean to oversimplify statements; but its surely going to take more than a paint job and there appears to be a shortage of investors who believe in the business plan. (also, if I was handing out clown wigs and shoes on BOH, I sure as hell wouldn't be handing them to you)

Old
01-22-2013, 08:56 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
The work is slowed down during winter, but not stopped, but yes that can be justification in part. I doubt that can explain almost a full year difference on overall project. I mean from the news I know, there is still Port issues and what not in Seattle. I am not saying it won't be done.

So your workers are definitely working faster than ours...I suspect the union, they're pretty strong in Quebec.

Not sure if trolling or what but that does not look like -25C/-13F
No, no THIS is trolling; it's seventy five and sunny all week, here.

01-22-2013, 09:05 AM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Seattle will have a arena by start of 15-16 season
yeah, that's 3 years from now

Old
01-22-2013, 09:13 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Pfft, buncha QC whiners, it's a balmy -43C with the wind chill in Winterpeg right now!

Awesome.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:18 AM
ducks2010
I buy milk in bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
No, no THIS is trolling; it's seventy five and sunny all week, here.
Awesome... and with $4.00 Coyote tickets on Stubhub for Wednesday night you should be all set.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:21 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducks2010 View Post
Awesome... and with $4.00 Coyote tickets on Stubhub for Wednesday night you should be all set.
Now this guy gets it.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:22 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post
Pfft, buncha QC whiners, it's a balmy -43C with the wind chill in Winterpeg right now!

Awesome.
You win, we're at -38 with windchill, tomorrow, -39.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:24 AM
WingedWheel1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmidd12 View Post

Awesome.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:36 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

I wish I could trade places with someone from Phoenix, at least for a day. That way I could enjoy a game tomorrow night and they could enjoy North Pole temperatures.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:41 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

I might actually die. I'm sure you need some sort of specialized survival skills to withstand such temperatures, but I'm totally unprepared. I do something stupid, and completely against what you all would consider common sense, and I'd end up frozen solid. An ignorant popsicle.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:50 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectiveposter View Post
there are probably over a thousand bars/restaurants/shops/businesses in Glendale that pay taxes....not sure why they are so concerned about a handful of them that are effected by the coyotes... i have never seen a city so worried about how busy a couple of privately owned restaurants are
I've always wondered about they do with the bars and restaurants in Westgate from May to October when hockey isn't being played at Jobbing, are they shut down for the summer?

Old
01-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
No one ever argued that point. They argued that the increased business does not generate $20 million per year in extra tax revenues.

At a 3% tax rate, the Yotes need to generate $667 million in revenues on those establishments. Think they do that???
With a sold out arena for the season it would only cost each fan a mere $950 per game to make up the tax revenue. Easy.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:52 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
I've always wondered about they do with the bars and restaurants in Westgate from May to October when there is no hockey being played at Jobbing, are they shut down for the summer?
I've always wondered that, too.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:52 AM
aj8000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
You do know what the word hypocrite means, Joyce Clarke epitomizes the word to a tee.

Seems to me the NHL realizes that no other market will ever offer up the golden ticket that the COG is offering, the fly in the ointment was picking gramps Jamison as the potential suitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Conflict of interest act? I said ethically questionable, not freakin illegal!

She accepted a gift from a group that benefits from a massive subsidy (about 10% of the operating budget) less than eight weeks after voting in favor of it. Since she left office it's certainly not illegal, but legality is not the yardstick against which ethics is measured.

Letter of the law may guide your moral compass, but it certainly does not guide mine.

Seriously, you are still trying to sell this snake oil.

Last edited by aj8000: 01-22-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old
01-22-2013, 09:53 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj View Post
yeah, that's 3 years from now
a lot can happen in 3 years ... or maybe not

fwiw, i have no problem with joyce getting free tix. i agree, people making an issue out of this are just looking for things. biggus dealus.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:01 AM
aj8000

Quote:
Let's not seek out reasons to be offended. I very clearly remember reading about construction on the QC arena being drastically (at least in the earliest stages) effected by the winter.
Yes, you would be correct with your statement. Winter does slow down the building process in Manitoba and likely to some respect in QC but does not stop it. The cold temperatures can increase construction costs since they have sometimes have to build temporary structures to heat so they can pour cement.

Here is a bridge they were building in Winnipeg over the last couple months. They actually built the structure insulated and heated it to finish the concrete work.

Last edited by aj8000: 01-22-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Changed context.
Old
01-22-2013, 10:05 AM
aj8000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Defender View Post
If at least this picture was taken in Quebec City!
No it was not taken in Quebec City. The stop sign says "Stop" not "Arret"

Old
01-22-2013, 10:08 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj8000 View Post
Yes, you would be sort of correct with your statement. Winter does slow down the building process in Manitoba and likely to some respect in QC but does not stop it. The cold temperatures can increase construction costs since they have sometimes have to build temporary structures to heat so they can pour cement.

Here is a bridge they were building in Winnipeg over the last couple months. They actually built the structure insulated and heated it to finish the concrete work.

Did I say stop? Pretty sure I said slow.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:12 AM
aj8000

Quote:
I might actually die. I'm sure you need some sort of specialized survival skills to withstand such temperatures, but I'm totally unprepared. I do something stupid, and completely against what you all would consider common sense, and I'd end up frozen solid. An ignorant popsicle.
You would do fine. I have hosted several students from Brazil over the years and we have not lost one yet. Actually, thanks to Global warming, our winters are not as bad as they used to. I remember we would have a week to 10 days in a row where the temperature (without the windchill) would not get above -30C (-22F). Have not seen that for years.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:14 AM
aj8000

Quote:
Did I say stop? Pretty sure I said slow.
Yes you did. I will fix my post. I didn't go back far enough into the discussion thread.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:30 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
No no no. You would not die. Why do you think Russians appreciate vodka ?

Old
01-22-2013, 10:34 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
No no no. You would not die. Why do you think Russians appreciate vodka ?
Haha. Funny you should say that, I've been streaming tsn radio at work every day. I flip from Winnipeg, to Toronto, to Montreal and back and forth all day long. Basically, what I've learned is it appears you folks up in Quebec are only interested in smoking meat and drinking. If you add watching hockey to those two activities, you have my three most favorite things in the world all at once. If there is any truth to this, I may have to think about moving.

Closed Thread