HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hjalmarsson to PIT

Old
01-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Epic Neal Time

vCash: 500
Hjalmarsson to PIT

What would Chicago want in return? Hjalmarsson would fit nicely in Pittsburgh, IMO. He would slot in next to Letang and would allow Despres to be on the bottom pair/AHL.

Epic Neal Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Sevanston

The players that Chicago would be most interested in from Pittsburgh would be ones Pittsburgh has no interest in giving up, since they just acquired them this summer.

I'm talking of course about Sutter and Vokoun.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:29 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Sutter is what the Hawks would need... no deal to be made. Doubt you would give us what the Kings would want for Bernier

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:48 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Yep, the only player Chicago would want (outside of the obvious Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal) is Sutter or Vokoun.. and I'd much rather have Sutter.

Pittsburgh, of course, would have no interest in moving Sutter but perhaps something like:

Hammer + any prospect or young player other than Saad or TT for Sutter + pick

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:25 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Neal Time View Post
What would Chicago want in return? Hjalmarsson would fit nicely in Pittsburgh, IMO. He would slot in next to Letang and would allow Despres to be on the bottom pair/AHL.
That is absolutely horrible. DNW.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:33 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Agreed Sutter is the one I'd target in return for Hammer.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:34 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Sutter isn't being moved, doubt something between the Hawks and Pens can get worked out unless the Hawks want simply a pick or prospect in return

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Hawkaholic

I wouldn't mind Kunitz, but not sure if I would trade Hammer straight up for him.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:27 AM
TheRollingPuck
Keep Calm & Corsi On

Can a Hawks fan please provide a scouting report on Hjalmarsson.

TheRollingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:42 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

this is a bad idea. the Pens and Hawks dont match up well in this trade. Hawks fans would want Sutter or Vokoun, neither of which the Pens would give up for him.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:52 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by psupens View Post
this is a bad idea. the Pens and Hawks dont match up well in this trade. Hawks fans would want Sutter or Vokoun, neither of which the Pens would give up for him.
They wouldn't give up Vokoun for Hjalmarsson???????

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
In a vacuum, yes. In reality, considering what's out there on the backup goalie market & the pieces they'd have to move to get a decent replacement as Thiessen isn't NHL calibre at this point, and considering that they're trying to avoid working Fleury like a dog until he collapses in the playoffs again this year...probably not.

It's not that he isn't worth Vokoun, necessarily. It's that losing Vokoun opens up another hole for the Pens.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
While the value is there, I actually don't think the Pens would.

Vokoun was brought in specifically as insurance because of Fleury's terrible playoff performances, as well as to give Fleury much more rest than he's gotten the last couple of regular seasons. That was a massive, massive problem with the Pens the past 3 playoffs.

So if they deal Vokoun for Hjalmarsson, they shore up their blueline a bit, but they're back to having a huge hole in nets. It would be kind of like plugging one hole in a boat and creating a new one.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:00 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I wouldn't mind Kunitz, but not sure if I would trade Hammer straight up for him.
Are you kidding me? Kunitz is a much better player currently. That trade isn't close "to a contender".

PIT does not need a 4th-6th D man (wherever you value him)....Hammer has little to no value to the Pens IMO, and I don't think these teams are great partners. Both are contenders with similar needs and NHL assets (outside of CHI needing goaltending). Prospects are another story (trade CHI off prospect for PIT def). Hammer is not much of an upgrade over our fleet of bottom D men. I take my chances with healthy competition and PIT's current roster on D.

No, we do not ever trade Vokoun for any defensive player. TV is probably the Pens most valuable "support" player with how MAF has played and a tight season schedule. You want MAF?

Pens need to move Paul Martin for serviceable, slightly positive 5v5, top 4 D man who plays against top competition and provides little offense. (IE Mike Weaver, Rob Scuderi, Jeff Georges, etc) Pens need to "replace" on D, not add. Tons of D men on roster currently.

Last edited by wgknestrick: 01-16-2013 at 12:09 PM.
wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:02 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Can a Hawks fan please provide a scouting report on Hjalmarsson.
He's 6'3", a good but not great skater. Excellent PKer and shot-blocker. Is an elite body-checker, but isn't consistently physical. Great defensively with an active stick. He's capable of moving the puck at a decent level, but hasn't shown much of it in Chicago.. but has for Sweden in the World Championships. He'll never be a point-producer or PMD, but he's got more to that area of his game than his shown IMO.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:04 PM
caley

Am guessing Chicago is asking for a lot as Elliotte Friedman stated in his 30 Thoughts column that the Rangers inquired about Hjalmarsson's asking price and the Hawks and Rangers both passed on the deal.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:09 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Well, Chicago really has no reason to move Hammer. They probably asked for Stepan, as crazy as that sounds.. obviously other pieces would be involved and obviously the Rangers would not make that trade, but Chicago has no reason to move Hammer and they need a 2nd line centre.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:22 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
i wouldn't want them to. as badly as they need another defensive-minded defenseman, part of the reason Fleury played so carelessly last season is the fact that he had NOBODY who would challenge him for the starting job. Vokoun will do that. Vokoun is good enough so that if Fleury screws up big, Vokoun will put him on the bench for a few games without the team batting an eyelash.

also, the fact that they JUST acquired him in the summer may make it unreasonable for them to trade him.

at best, with Vokoun for Hjalmarsson (sp?), they get an Orpik Lite, but still have an unmotivated Fleury. without the trade, they keep their goaltending competition alive and get to see what a few of their bevy of defensive prospects can do at the NHL level.

Last edited by domaug*: 01-16-2013 at 02:05 PM.
domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
They signed him this year for the expressed purpose of having a more reliable backup to MAF. Of course they're not going to give him up.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:59 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I really don't see any benefit for the Penguins picking up Hjalmarsson. We don't really have a need for him that can't be filled with our current D depth options.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:20 PM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
No worries, because PIT doesn't do that.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:29 PM
99 steps
to the top

Here is the average game for Hjalms: ring puck blindly around the boards / block slap shot from 10 feet away fired by the guy you just gave the puck to / limp back to the bench / grimace on bench for 75 seconds / do it again 15-18 times

99 steps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Here is the average game for Hjalms: ring puck blindly around the boards / block slap shot from 10 feet away fired by the guy you just gave the puck to / limp back to the bench / grimace on bench for 75 seconds / do it again 15-18 times
I laughed. He does need to work on his first pass out of the zone. I still can't figure out if he just can't do it, or he has it drilled into his head by the coaching staff not to take any chances and just get the puck out of the zone. I lean towards the latter since he has shown glimpses of actually being a pretty good passer (both as a Hawk and on team Sweden). Aside from his first pass (or lack thereof) he is an excellent defensive defenceman, and would be even better if he learned to use his physicality consistently.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:31 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Isn't PIT looking to add a physical D.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote