HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting:NHL Buyout-All teams $3.5B

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2005, 10:04 AM
guzmania

vCash: 500
Interesting:NHL Buyout-All teams $3.5B

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=cp&type=lgns

These guys must really like the idea of losing money, they are going to pay big bux for the privledge. I wonder if they want to play hockey and lose money or just lose money? Maybe they need the tax break. Or they think the game is badly run? Hmmm? Nah, Gary's right about everything and "we're behind him 100%". Not.

Old
03-03-2005, 10:28 AM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=cp&type=lgns

These guys must really like the idea of losing money, they are going to pay big bux for the privledge. I wonder if they want to play hockey and lose money or just lose money? Maybe they need the tax break. Or they think the game is badly run? Hmmm? Nah, Gary's right about everything and "we're behind him 100%". Not.
It's a friggin' genius idea! If you own all the teams then you don't have to worry about some other idiot offering your star player more money. You don't have owners driving up salaries across the league. You can set the team budgets at whatever you want. What are the players going to do? Say "I don't want to play for him, I'm going to another team"? That's when we start checking for the effects of concussions. You can leave the teams alone with a set budget for each team and then let them run themselves without the worries of the other teams around the league. Also, if you want to contract, who's to say you can't close up your shop? It ensures revenue sharing because all the revenues are going into the same pot. Go go 3.5 billion $$ buyout!

Old
03-03-2005, 02:45 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M
It's a friggin' genius idea! If you own all the teams then you don't have to worry about some other idiot offering your star player more money. You don't have owners driving up salaries across the league. You can set the team budgets at whatever you want. What are the players going to do? Say "I don't want to play for him, I'm going to another team"? That's when we start checking for the effects of concussions. You can leave the teams alone with a set budget for each team and then let them run themselves without the worries of the other teams around the league. Also, if you want to contract, who's to say you can't close up your shop? It ensures revenue sharing because all the revenues are going into the same pot. Go go 3.5 billion $$ buyout!
Ding ding ding ding! I've been saying it for 2 years. If the NHL wants to get around their labor woes, they will need to divest each franchise and create 1 single legal entity with x number of investor/partners. As a single entity, they can avoid nearly all anti-trust violations when it comes to labor.

I just never thought any of the wealthier franchises would be willing to do it.

03-03-2005, 03:17 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Or they can all just agree to the $45M Cap.......... Is it that hard?

Old
03-03-2005, 06:17 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Each of the 30 owners would get 117 million...

It's just not going to happen when there are teams like Detroit that are worth way over 200 million.

Old
03-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
Each of the 30 owners would get 117 million...

It's just not going to happen when there are teams like Detroit that are worth way over 200 million.
I don't think they would slipt the pie evenly. They would probably use Forbes franchise value figures and prorate those

Old
03-03-2005, 08:25 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I don't think they would slipt the pie evenly. They would probably use Forbes franchise value figures and prorate those
even so...each team would want at least 100 million, so if the 10 teams with the least value each received 100 million...the Detroit's and Philadelphia's still wouldn't receive more than 125-150 million...I'm not a Math Major but I don't see how any of the wealthier teams could get anything close to the money they would want if they were really selling their team. (200 million plus)

Old
03-03-2005, 08:45 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

well, i doubt a deal of thsi magnitude will ever happen, but it is an interesting proposition. If these guys are whining about how they can't go on if the system doens't change, a la Lieweke & bettman, then here's a way out. before this, i'm sure they were all whining about losing money every year and thinkin their franchise is just a lag on their funds, after hearing this proposition, im sure all they can think about is how great the franchise is, what it means to them, and how it's worth far more then the measily $100 mil offered. haha

Closed Thread