Notices

Jets sign Jason Jaffray

Old
01-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Tdoe42

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
not any better then the numerous waiver excempt ahl players we already have, that's the concern.

A lot of us would rather see a young guy given a shot then an old guy "rewarded" for his loyalty.

Obviously it's small potato's, but if he draws in over our younger AHL guys it means at least one of two things: our ahl depth is atrocious and not even worth resigning. Or the club will make decisions(at least sometimes) based on some weird principal that doesn't involve whats best for the team or development.

that's the main thing people are concerned about. In actuality, the "effect' should be minimal, its more the "principal" that i think most are concerned with.
I think you need a mix of both youth and veteran experience so yeah this isnt an indictment on our young guys its just a case of the coach knowing what he is gonna get from a player

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:28 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdoe42 View Post
I think you need a mix of both youth and veteran experience so yeah this isnt an indictment on our young guys its just a case of the coach knowing what he is gonna get from a player
That's probably the case. I remember last training camp Jaffray was one of the early send downs. Noel pretty much said, its not that hes a bad player, its just that he knew exactly what Jaffray could bring so didn't need any more time to evaluate him. If we need someone to fill in for an injury, plug a fourth line role, Jaffray is fine for a few games.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
And what is that exactly? We had 3 lines last season, the rest were AHL scrubs pretty much, and Jaffray stood out as the worst player on the ice in the games he played.

Honestly, the only way this move makes sense, is if they signed him to have him sit in the stands in Winnipeg so he doesn't get ice time in the AHL that our young guys could use.

Edit: Last paragraph is obviously never going to happen.

Last edited by Romang67: 01-16-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:30 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Makes sense to me.

The Jets have said they will base their call up on who is playing best in the AHL.

The deal with the Jets makes that possible. I doubt we will see much of him though.

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
And what is that exactly? We had 3 lines last season, the rest were AHL scrubs pretty much, and Jaffray stood out as the worst player on the ice in the games he played.

Honestly, the only way this move makes sense, is if they signed him to have him sit in the stands in Winnipeg so he doesn't get ice time in the AHL that our young guys could use.
Thats not the opinion of the coaching staff. We had a winning record while he was in the line up as far as I am concerned the AHL is where we develop our young guys if ur ready to play ur ready to play simple as that

Old
01-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Thats not the opinion of the coaching staff. We had a winning record while he was in the line up as far as I am concerned the AHL is where we develop our young guys if ur ready to play ur ready to play simple as that
Yeah, in December, when Pavs was sporting a .930 save%.

I just don't get that. Yes, if you're ready to play, they send you up, but why give a 31 year old guy who couldn't stick to the big league when we had no depth at all, and were basically rolling 3 lines, an NHL contract? Instead of giving the younger guys a chance to show what they can do?

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Yeah, in December, when Pavs was sporting a .930 save%.

I just don't get that. Yes, if you're ready to play, they send you up, but why give a 31 year old guy who couldn't stick to the big league when we had no depth at all, and were basically rolling 3 lines, an NHL contract? Instead of giving the younger guys a chance to show what they can do?
Its not always about development... Putting in a guy that you know and can depend on is sometimes the better choice especially if ur playing a more veteran team

Old
01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
TCsmyth

This signing is neither here nor there for me, but did any of you guys watch the Ice Caps game against Hamilton?

Jaffray was our best player, and it wasn't even close. Mahachek was invisible, and Klingberg was awful - Macenauer was ok...darn right we should be concerned about prospect depth.

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:31 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Its not always about development... Putting in a guy that you know and can depend on is sometimes the better choice especially if ur playing a more veteran team
do we know he can depend on him? has he actually done anything on the NHL level to prove his worth over Machacek, Maxwell and co?

49 games played under VERY sheltered minutes and 4G 7A?
I'm sorry but I dearly hope that Machacek, Maxwell and Cormier don't get picked over as they are already better. We don't want someone that has to be sheltered. We have enough already of those guys plus maybe one more with Peluso now... oh god
I can be fine if they use Jaffray as a bluemoon call-up but I do not think of him as a possible NHL reg.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Great news. I've got Jaffray in my fantasy league. Hopefully Redden signs with a team soon and my picks are all actually playing this year.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:39 PM
angrymnky

Maybe it's a reward for hard work, especially if some other higher ranked players have been dogging it?

angrymnky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:32 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Well after seeing half of the home games, Jaffray is playing way better than Maxwell and Klingberg. A Fair bit better than Mahachek. I think Jaffray and Sawada have been the best forwards for the team on a consistent basis. Cormier has not been back long, It's harder to judge him.

The talent pool here for forwards is shallow indeed.

Telegin has a lot of learning to do, but has the most promise maybe for the 2014-2015 season

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Tdoe42

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
do we know he can depend on him? has he actually done anything on the NHL level to prove his worth over Machacek, Maxwell and co?

49 games played under VERY sheltered minutes and 4G 7A?
I'm sorry but I dearly hope that Machacek, Maxwell and Cormier don't get picked over as they are already better. We don't want someone that has to be sheltered. We have enough already of those guys plus maybe one more with Peluso now... oh god
I can be fine if they use Jaffray as a bluemoon call-up but I do not think of him as a possible NHL reg.
Coach likes him and knows what he has to offer that's good enough for me to get behind the signing

Old
01-16-2013, 04:43 PM
MadMen88

I've been a fan of Jason for a while now so naturally I'm happy for him. He's got better finish than his numbers indicate and he's developing into an artful checker. If he's in the lineup on opening day, I'll be a bit surprised yet equally interested to see what happens. JJ#41 woooo!

MadMen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Hank Chinaski

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Great news. I've got Jaffray in my fantasy league. Hopefully Redden signs with a team soon and my picks are all actually playing this year.
Holy smokes. How deep is your fantasy league?

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:18 AM
pcanuck

I think this signing is an excellent indicator of the shape of the organization. I won't hate on Jeffray but I will say that spending what seems to be 700-900K on a 3rd line AHL player is an indicator we lack skill, depth and prospects in the AHL and elsewhere. We will require many of these players to simply fill roster spots. We can thank ATL for leaving the cupboards bare.

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote