Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets claim Anthony Peluso off waivers from STL

Old
01-16-2013, 03:50 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 50
I have enough abrasiveness at home... might as well have it at the rink as well.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:51 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

40 second mark.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:53 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post

40 second mark.
Lovely goal!

truck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:00 PM
WinnipegWinter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
Lets be clear. Peluso is very tough - one of there toughest in the AHL - maybe pro hockey. He is a different critter than Thorburn - a decent player who is decently tough.
I completely agree with this. Guys that can 'hold their own' and guys that 'go after it' are two completely different players. In my opinion, you need a blend. If you only have guys that can hold their own, then you aren't a tough team to play against. You need to have a few players that can honestly make a forward think twice about going into the corner.

My prediction was that we may be soft this year. This may not be a great waiver addition, but I trust it helps us in that department. It seems to me that last year, Thorburn and Stuart were the only two to drop the gloves consistently, and more often than not it wasn't on their own terms.

I hope this guy comes in, plays solid off the puck, and tears up some face

WinnipegWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:05 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegWinter View Post
I completely agree with this. Guys that can 'hold their own' and guys that 'go after it' are two completely different players. In my opinion, you need a blend. If you only have guys that can hold their own, then you aren't a tough team to play against. You need to have a few players that can honestly make a forward think twice about going into the corner.

My prediction was that we may be soft this year. This may not be a great waiver addition, but I trust it helps us in that department. It seems to me that last year, Thorburn and Stuart were the only two to drop the gloves consistently, and more often than not it wasn't on their own terms.

I hope this guy comes in, plays solid off the puck, and tears up some face
How does an enforcer that plays 6 minutes of bad hockey make anybody "think twice about going into the corner?" Not commenting on the value of a goon (or Peluso), just trying to figure out that logic.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:14 PM
WinnipegWinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
How does an enforcer that plays 6 minutes of bad hockey make anybody "think twice about going into the corner?" Not commenting on the value of a goon (or Peluso), just trying to figure out that logic.
That's a fair point, but that is a pretty microscopic perspective. I think they brought him in as a part of the big picture, to help shape the teams culture, not to play 6 minutes of goon hockey. Having testosterone like this on your team goes beyond the individual player

Old
TCsmyth

Quote:
Not trying to be a smart ass, but the isnt the answer the guys that are playing against the guy for those 6 minutes?

You put Poni out there for another 16 mins, Jokinen playing hard on the puck for another 18, and all of a sudden you are maybe wearing down defense pairings.

Look, we all seem to be a little concerned about our 3rd pairing...why not have other teams have to be worried about theirs making mistakes or getting hammered? This is not about one guy, it is about overall team size. Again, not saying this guy is going to be any good - but he has been playing all year, is reputed to be a fitness nut, apparently can skate...to me no risk, potentially interesting upside

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
The Jets forward group were clearly too small last season and I agree with those who said the team looked soft going into this year; that was in fact a distinct impression that I came away with today after having watched camp. There wasn't a lot of grind on display, at all.

So, anyway, the Jets said they wanted to get bigger up front this season and they'd somewhat accomplished that by adding Poni & Jokinen. This addition should perhaps put to bed the theory that they'd try to sign Gomez. If Peluso can play hard on the forecheck, play hard down low and in the corners, then he will be a welcome addition to the 4th line I'd guess. After what I saw on the ice today, frankly, they need a huge grinder much more than they need a Gomez. The smallish Jets forward group took a bit of a physical beating last year; I'd personally much rather they eventually iced a team that delivers more physical punishment than it absorbs.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:17 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

If the kid can bring toughness AND be solid enough 5v5 to be an upgrade on either Miettinen or Thorburn, good.

But if the kid brings "toughness", "grit", "heart", "keeps people honest", etc and is worse 5v5 than the above than its poor choice but its low risk cos you just get rid of him. You can say whatever you want about having a **** disturber but the facts are a tough team that also outscores the other team up and down the line, is still better.

My concerns are more that with shortened season this isn't a great time for testing players out.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:20 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Not trying to be a smart ass, but the isnt the answer the guys that are playing against the guy for those 6 minutes?

You put Poni out there for another 16 mins, Jokinen playing hard on the puck for another 18, and all of a sudden you are maybe wearing down defense pairings.

Look, we all seem to be a little concerned about our 3rd pairing...why not have other teams have to be worried about theirs making mistakes or getting hammered? This is not about one guy, it is about overall team size. Again, not saying this guy is going to be any good - but he has been playing all year, is reputed to be a fitness nut, apparently can skate...to me no risk, potentially interesting upside
My question was about the impact of a fighter more than a lack of physicality.

I don't get how more fights would make somebody think about going into the corners.

Being good at fighting =/= being effective in the corners.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:22 PM
WinnipegWinter

Quote:
My question was about the impact of a fighter more than a lack of physicality.

I don't get how more fights would make somebody think about going into the corners.

Being good at fighting =/= being effective in the corners.
My point was his role in the team culture

Old
01-16-2013, 04:46 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
The Jets forward group were clearly too small last season and I agree with those who said the team looked soft going into this year; that was in fact a distinct impression that I came away with today after having watched camp. There wasn't a lot of grind on display, at all.

So, anyway, the Jets said they wanted to get bigger up front this season and they'd somewhat accomplished that by adding Poni & Jokinen. This addition should perhaps put to bed the theory that they'd try to sign Gomez. If Peluso can play hard on the forecheck, play hard down low and in the corners, then he will be a welcome addition to the 4th line I'd guess. After what I saw on the ice today, frankly, they need a huge grinder much more than they need a Gomez. The smallish Jets forward group took a bit of a physical beating last year; I'd personally much rather they eventually iced a team that delivers more physical punishment than it absorbs.
I don't understand the "too small" talk. Jets were the 7th tallest team in the league. Little, Wellwood and Stapleton were the only players under 6' tall. Size wasn't the issue. The Jets could definitely use a couple more players who are both talented and thrive in corners / traffic. Size itself was never the issue.

Antro 6'6
Wheeler 6'5
Fehr 6'4
Poni 6'4
Thor 6'3
Ladd 6'3
Kane 6'2
Olli 6'2
Glass 6'1
Burmi 6'1
League average 6'1
Slater 6'
Mittens 6'
Little 5'11
Wellwood 5'10

Last edited by truck: 01-16-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old
01-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Dudley is with Montreal .
Well that just shot my theory to ****.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
I don't understand the "too small" talk. Jets were the 7th tallest team in the league. Little, Wellwood and Stapleton were the only players under 6' tall. Size wasn't the issue. The Jets could definitely use a couple more players who are both talented and thrive in corners / traffic. Size itself was never the issue.
The Jets last year rolled out a forward group that included any of Stapler, Wellwood, Little, Burmistrov, etc. Compare that to the forward group of mostly giants that LA sent out for the playoffs last season. Burmistrov weighed into the Icecaps this season in the Flyweight category. They were too small last year IMO; your own mileage may vary. If so, cool. We agree to disagree then. I personally think they are too soft right now and it appears that management may have had the same concerns.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:02 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegWinter View Post
My point was his role in the team culture
I guess the question is where is the line?

Where is the point where truculence over skill causes a liability. I'll take a tough NHL player 23 times over than a "enforcer" for a roster spot.
(Note: not talking about this player individually)

I dunno about you guys but I've never really seen a pro who is intimidated by an enforcer. And I got 2 bros who play in diff pro NAlevels. They don't actually make people think twice about going into corners and such, because the other player knows he's a pylon.

I think grit, toughness and even fighting is part of the game so don't get me wrong here. But, a player who "holds his own" but is a quality player is going to have more of a possitive effect than an enforcer who's a liabillity as a player.

In the end it comes to this, toughnes/size/truculence are only one part of the total skillset of what makes a player. If this kid comes in and overall (including his toughness) is one of the top 13 players, then sweet. If he isnt one of the best 13 overall, than any toughness he brings isn't sufficient to compensate for his inabillities else where.

That's what it comes to. It doesn't matter what Chevy said about our size or whether it's even true or not. It doesn't matter if we were losing corner battles or fights. If a players toughness doesn't make him a better overall player he isn't the best man for the job.

Back on topic:
Maybe this guy will be one of the best 13 players. I won't bet my house on it but he's worth a shot.

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:05 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Truck, I think we can go round and round on this. My points are not about literal height or stats on a piece of paper, they are about being hard to play against. I firmly believe that we need more "hard to play against" on this team.

If you think we were a big team last year, then I am arguing improper semantics - my fault on that. It would be very hard to find anyone that would argue that the Kings "size" did not play a role in them thriving at the end of last year. When I say size, I am meaning tough to play against - and I would challenge you to find anyone that watches a lot of hockey to make that assessment about the Jets last year.

Garret was also making a point about not testing guys in a short season. The way I see it, it's not like we have a Stanley Cup lineup with Thorburn, Miettinen, et al on our bottom 3-5 forwards...so I don't see the harm in changing things up once in awhile. If Chris Thorburn's most redeeming quality is that he is good in the room, then let's have him be there in the room drinking coffee with the guys (just trying to lighten things up!).

I will never have a concern with the Jets looking at guys...anyways, fun debate - and I for one am looking forward to seeing this big kid that is excited as all hell to be coming here!

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:39 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
The Jets last year rolled out a forward group that included any of Stapler, Wellwood, Little, Burmistrov, etc. Compare that to the forward group of mostly giants that LA sent out for the playoffs last season. Burmistrov weighed into the Icecaps this season in the Flyweight category. They were too small last year IMO; your own mileage may vary. If so, cool. We agree to disagree then. I personally think they are too soft right now and it appears that management may have had the same concerns.
Might just be me misinterpreting you. I see size as a measurable thing and in terms of measurables, the Jets weren't small.

I do think they were weak along the boards and they didn't have much in terms of net front presence. Ladd and Kane spent some time there and Antro made an appearance every once in a while, but that was about it. I see that as a stylistic issue though.

All that said, not quite sure how a 4th line grinder does anything for the top 9 players. Size and grinding in absence of goal scoring means nothing IMO.

Old
01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by devin1487 View Post

He's a big boy who will need to play upwards of 10 minutes a game
it's 2013. that's 10 minutes too many for this era of hockey.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

I'm still scratching my head at this one. I'm not at all 'mad' by any stretch, I just don't completely get it. At any rate, it's done, and I will be cheering hard for Anthony to play hard, get minutes, and impress. He is a Jet now after all!

I guess my issue all along is I like to try and understand what management is doing when they make a player movement. Jaffray I get. Whether you like the guy or not, or think it's the right choice, I'm sure management/ coaches sat down, ran some injury scenarios and realized they needed Jaffray available at the drop of a hat should we run into trouble.

I don't see the need for a 'goon' but if Peluso can give us some non scary minutes, and rattle some guys then maybe it works out in the end. If he is here to be a nuclear deterrent, then it's IMHO a stupid move. Edmonton had Steve McIntyre, the scariest mofo in the league and trust me, it didn't stop the opposition from running whomever, whenever they wanted.

01-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Noel said in his presser that he thinks Peluso can fill Glass's role.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:00 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Noel said in his presser that he thinks Peluso can fill Glass's role.
...and if he does, thankfully it'll be on the 4th line, not the 3rd, as it was last year.

Not sure how to feel about this signing: one thing's for certain - he'll be incredibly motivated to make a good showing if he gets some time outside of the press box. Looking at some video of him, he CAN skate well, and seems to have hands that aren't made of stone. I'll reserve judgement, cheer him on, and assume that management has a plan.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I like this move, I hope Peluso can play and it pans out.

From the main board,

"A hybrid enforcer type for the new less pugilistic NHL that can play honest 4rth line minutes and still drop the gloves on occasion. Not a "staged fight fighter" but more of a solid fourth liner who can fight really well".

Last edited by Guerzy: 01-16-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
A slightly simian appearance doesn't hurt either...
Hmm, doesn't bode well in that regard either. Has a bit of that intellectual high-brow thing going on. Probably discusses his views on Dostoevsky while he's beating your face in.

I'll wait and see how this plays out. Not a fan of wasting rosters spots on garbage like Trevor Gillies and Steve MacIntyre, but it sounds like this guy can play a little. Guess we'll find out.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:18 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Truck, I think we can go round and round on this. My points are not about literal height or stats on a piece of paper, they are about being hard to play against. I firmly believe that we need more "hard to play against" on this team.

If you think we were a big team last year, then I am arguing improper semantics - my fault on that. It would be very hard to find anyone that would argue that the Kings "size" did not play a role in them thriving at the end of last year. When I say size, I am meaning tough to play against - and I would challenge you to find anyone that watches a lot of hockey to make that assessment about the Jets last year.

Garret was also making a point about not testing guys in a short season. The way I see it, it's not like we have a Stanley Cup lineup with Thorburn, Miettinen, et al on our bottom 3-5 forwards...so I don't see the harm in changing things up once in awhile. If Chris Thorburn's most redeeming quality is that he is good in the room, then let's have him be there in the room drinking coffee with the guys (just trying to lighten things up!).

I will never have a concern with the Jets looking at guys...anyways, fun debate - and I for one am looking forward to seeing this big kid that is excited as all hell to be coming here!
Size didn't hurt the Kings, but their run was as much about depth, defense and a hot goalie as anything. To say it was all about size is silly.

The Kings weren't the biggest team in the league, Washington was and LA actually beat two teams that were bigger than them on route to the cup.

The two smallest teams in the league last year were Detroit and Nashville. Those teams were pretty good too. Size means nothing without skill and depth and a decent PK and goaltending.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:26 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
...and if he does, thankfully it'll be on the 4th line, not the 3rd, as it was last year.

Not sure how to feel about this signing: one thing's for certain - he'll be incredibly motivated to make a good showing if he gets some time outside of the press box. Looking at some video of him, he CAN skate well, and seems to have hands that aren't made of stone. I'll reserve judgement, cheer him on, and assume that management has a plan.
All I want to know is:

Is he any good?
Can he capably kill penalties?

Hopefully both answers are Yes.

I haven't see him play, so I can't speak beyond that. Not sure how anyone can love it or hate it until then.

I do expect him to fight early whenever he dresses for his first game.

Jets fans will love him! Can't wait for people to suggest putting him in Welly's slot.