Notices

Jets claim Anthony Peluso off waivers from STL

Old
01-16-2013, 06:27 PM
almostawake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I'm still scratching my head at this one. I'm not at all 'mad' by any stretch, I just don't completely get it. At any rate, it's done, and I will be cheering hard for Anthony to play hard, get minutes, and impress. He is a Jet now after all!

I guess my issue all along is I like to try and understand what management is doing when they make a player movement. Jaffray I get. Whether you like the guy or not, or think it's the right choice, I'm sure management/ coaches sat down, ran some injury scenarios and realized they needed Jaffray available at the drop of a hat should we run into trouble.

I don't see the need for a 'goon' but if Peluso can give us some non scary minutes, and rattle some guys then maybe it works out in the end. If he is here to be a nuclear deterrent, then it's IMHO a stupid move. Edmonton had Steve McIntyre, the scariest mofo in the league and trust me, it didn't stop the opposition from running whomever, whenever they wanted.
The general consensus among Blues fans is that he skates quite well and should be thought of as a decent 4th liner (that happens to also be a very good fighter) rather than a pure goon.

The fact that Gary Roberts accepted him into his summer program is pretty good indication that the guy is serious about maximizing his potential as a pro hockey player. Gary is selective, he wouldn't waste his time on some goon just so the guy could last another 30 seconds in a fight.

He's a guy that could grow into the forward equivalent of Mark Stuart's role. A guy that's a bit short on skills but skates well enough to not be a liability, bangs some bodies, and never backs down from a fight.

If he's a guy to sit on the end of the bench and look nasty, hop over the boards 3 times a game and get into staged fights, then ya, I think this is a pretty dumb move.

But everything I've read from people that have followed his career and have watched him play indicates he's not that at all. He's a big bodied guy that skates reasonably well, causes havoc, and will fight anyone should the need arise.

The truth is, if the Blues didn't have Ryan Reaves, there's a good chance Peluso would be on their 4th line this season.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:39 PM
truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I'm still scratching my head at this one. I'm not at all 'mad' by any stretch, I just don't completely get it. At any rate, it's done, and I will be cheering hard for Anthony to play hard, get minutes, and impress. He is a Jet now after all!

I guess my issue all along is I like to try and understand what management is doing when they make a player movement. Jaffray I get. Whether you like the guy or not, or think it's the right choice, I'm sure management/ coaches sat down, ran some injury scenarios and realized they needed Jaffray available at the drop of a hat should we run into trouble.

I don't see the need for a 'goon' but if Peluso can give us some non scary minutes, and rattle some guys then maybe it works out in the end. If he is here to be a nuclear deterrent, then it's IMHO a stupid move. Edmonton had Steve McIntyre, the scariest mofo in the league and trust me, it didn't stop the opposition from running whomever, whenever they wanted.
Yeah. The "Nuclear deterrent" and "tough to play against" arguments don't make any sense to me.

Nuclear deterrents don't work and skill is tougher to play against than size. I doubt you will find anybody who would chose getting scored on by a little guy over scoring a lot vs a big guy.

Big and skilled is awesome. Big without skill is not much better than little without skill.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:40 PM
truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
The general consensus among Blues fans is that he skates quite well and should be thought of as a decent 4th liner (that happens to also be a very good fighter) rather than a pure goon.

The fact that Gary Roberts accepted him into his summer program is pretty good indication that the guy is serious about maximizing his potential as a pro hockey player. Gary is selective, he wouldn't waste his time on some goon just so the guy could last another 30 seconds in a fight.

He's a guy that could grow into the forward equivalent of Mark Stuart's role. A guy that's a bit short on skills but skates well enough to not be a liability, bangs some bodies, and never backs down from a fight.

If he's a guy to sit on the end of the bench and look nasty, hop over the boards 3 times a game and get into staged fights, then ya, I think this is a pretty dumb move.

But everything I've read from people that have followed his career and have watched him play indicates he's not that at all. He's a big bodied guy that skates reasonably well, causes havoc, and will fight anyone should the need arise.

The truth is, if the Blues didn't have Ryan Reaves, there's a good chance Peluso would be on their 4th line this season.
This is encouraging.

Hopefully he can kill penalties too.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:43 PM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Well if he brings toughness and isnt a complete liability (looking at you laraque & mcgratton) he should be okay

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
All I want to know is:

Is he any good?
Can he capably kill penalties?

Hopefully both answers are Yes.

I haven't see him play, so I can't speak beyond that. Not sure how anyone can love it or hate it until then.

I do expect him to fight early whenever he dresses for his first game.

Jets fans will love him! Can't wait for people to suggest putting him in Welly's slot.
Um, I agree? As I said, I'll reserve judgement - he seems to be able to skate and handle the puck reasonably well. I'll assume you simply wanted to rant, and didn't take offense to my post in particular.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I like this move, I hope Peluso can play and it pans out.

From the main board,

"A hybrid enforcer type for the new less pugilistic NHL that can play honest 4rth line minutes and still drop the gloves on occasion. Not a "staged fight fighter" but more of a solid fourth liner who can fight really well".
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
...and if he does, thankfully it'll be on the 4th line, not the 3rd, as it was last year.

Not sure how to feel about this signing: one thing's for certain - he'll be incredibly motivated to make a good showing if he gets some time outside of the press box. Looking at some video of him, he CAN skate well, and seems to have hands that aren't made of stone. I'll reserve judgement, cheer him on, and assume that management has a plan.
Sounds much better than the scouting notes I've read so that's good.
If he's an effective hybrid I'm down 100%.
Like I said from the start, if he's a solid 4th liner than he's a solid 4th liner

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:49 PM
passnthru

So what did the Blues see in him? That should say something. That they were sending him down may not.
His fitness discipline speaks highly of his commitment and may also indicate his TOI capability.
There must be some potential that others than Chevy see. I'm not a fan of goons for the sake of fighting but I do like toughness.
And is the size issue less of height and more strength to stay on the puck?

passnthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:56 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

A couple Peluso goals with the Rivermen:

0:28s in:

0:21s in:

Old
01-16-2013, 07:03 PM
truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by passnthru View Post
So what did the Blues see in him? That should say something. That they were sending him down may not.
His fitness discipline speaks highly of his commitment and may also indicate his TOI capability.
There must be some potentially that others than Chevy see. I'm not a fan of goons for the sake of fighting but I do like toughness.
And is the size issue less of height and more strength to stay on the puck?
Yeah. Strength on the puck, being able to take and hold possession before a pass is all that matters to me. Don't care if the player is 6'7 or 3'2 so long as he can do those things.

Oh, goal scoring is good too.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:06 PM
truck

Quote:
Um, I agree? As I said, I'll reserve judgement - he seems to be able to skate and handle the puck reasonably well. I'll assume you simply wanted to rant, and didn't take offense to my post in particular.
Consider my thoughts an agreement or an add on.

That was hardly a rant. When I rant I use paragraphs!

Old
01-16-2013, 07:19 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Was just thinking this too. Perhaps they want a more physical, tough player on the 4th line instead of Machacek? Or maybe they want to have options. Let's face it, Machacek isn't a tough guy, and Thorburn will fight but he isn't 'that tough'.. perhaps Peluso is and he just gives us an extra option. If so, I am ok with that.

By the sounds of it Peluso is a tough kid who can play relatively well in a 4th line role. Can he be a Carcillo for us? turn into a Lapierre? Maybe a Prust?

I don't mind this move, at all, actually. Still wondering if something is up, but either or I like it.

I think many Jets fans want to be tougher to play against, if this kid can play, then it could very well do that for us.
I tend to agree with this. I haven't had a chance to read all the posts yet, but what's not to like? He doesn't cost us anything, sounds like he can hold his own on the 4th line and is tough as they get. Having a guy like this around to play 4th line when needed because of injuries or to play tougher against certain teams makes some sense.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 07:31 PM
fergiesbeak

Good pick up Chevy! young guy with size and some attitude.if he works out and contributes awesome. if not no biggie. hockey is always gonna be physical game.can't have a lineup full of sweeties.

fergiesbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:18 PM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

I am all for having a tough (to play against) hockey player in the ilk of Chris Neil and to a lesser extent Shawn Thornton. I thought Neil was one of the best Sens against the Rangers in the playoffs.

If he can play quality 4th line minutes and be an asset then great. I will wait and see how this pans out. I am not a fan of fighters who can't really impact the 4th line with their play though.

Hockey player who can fight......great......fighter who sits on the end of the bench under a glass that says break in case of emergency (cruel and a waist of time)

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
242 pounds?

Get ready to be called fat by the Winnipeg media, Anthony....
I know you were just kidding, but they mentioned in that Peoria newspaper article that he's got 11% body fat. For a guy over 220, sounds like he must be pretty shredded.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Boreal

I really like the add. I am a big support of playing an ultra physical brand of hockey. Some times, I find there is no substitute to the feeling you get from knowing you have teammates who can handle business. If Peluso can play a little bit - and it sounds like he can - then a heavy weight title contender would be a welcome addition. The ability to mash face, while not particularly glamorous, is still a part of the game, as far as I'm concerned.

This pickup is very much in tune with what Chevy has been singing for the past little while. I look forward to seeing what this big war horse on skates can do. Either way, this move does not cost us much, so the downside is limited even if nothing pans out.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:23 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

This is a solid low risk pick up in my opinion. Clearly by most accounts, the guy seems to more than just a thug. A decent 4th liner with perhaps some upside. Someone who can carry the puck and work the cycle down low and in the corners in the offensive zone. Playing with a versatile professional like Slater will help too.

I'd wager that he will earn his minutes and instantly become a fan favorite. Whether that be for fisticuffs, throwing BIG HITS or being an imposing force to move and creating havoc in the opposition's crease.

If he accomplishes any of these things, we will start seeing Peluso jersey's populating the stands at the phone booth.

Looking forward to see what he can bring to the line-up and yes, I do believe that if he earns his keep, there could be a Thorburn deal in the works. Any speculation as to who would be looking at Thor?

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:26 PM
wpgsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Looking forward to see what he can bring to the line-up and yes, I do believe that if he earns his keep, there could be a Thorburn deal in the works. Any speculation as to who would be looking at Thor?
I like Thor, but I see zero chance that Chris would be the central piece of ANY deal. If Thorburn is being dealt I think it's gotta be part of a larger deal.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:36 PM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

I am now fully on board with this signing.

He drinks Guinness.

Quote:
Anthony Peluso‏@AnthonyPeluso23

There's always a time in a day off to sit back and have a guinness #beer #relax pic.twitter.com/2gRsT6IW

Old
01-16-2013, 09:48 PM
StaticPrevails

Quote:
I am now fully on board with this signing.

He drinks Guinness.

StaticPrevails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:

I agree with this. I'll admit my initial "wtf" ness was based simply off the information available (HF profile, boxcars, published reports, etc) all of which pointed to a tough guy (who might be able to skate). after reading the posts frlom blues fans and checking out those highlights he does look like a much better pick up. I guess my initial fear was that he was just some fighter scrub.

pretty funny to read the general evolution of "wtf is this" to "not bad" over the middle 4 or 5 pages of this thread- which i am totally a part of.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:44 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

The bolded changes my opinion a lot.
This says a lot to me. Gary Roberts works magic, and is probably the reason why this guy was considered an enforcer but now more of a 4th liner with enforcer capabilities.

Another thing that's pushed me to the calm was Noel's comments on the guy:
He can play minutes; I don't want a 2-3 minute guy.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:50 PM
jetkarma*

We'll see if he ever delivers , no risk though .

What to come away with from this ? Trust Chevy , imo.

jetkarma* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:59 PM
wpgsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
The bolded changes my opinion a lot.
This says a lot to me. Gary Roberts works magic, and is probably the reason why this guy was considered an enforcer but now more of a 4th liner with enforcer capabilities.

Another thing that's pushed me to the calm was Noel's comments on the guy:
He can play minutes; I don't want a 2-3 minute guy.
Pretty much how I feel.
Someone also posted an article where he commented on how excited he was to be heading here, and being given an opportunity.
Strikes me as a guy who wants to be a contributing member of a team, not a goon.
Also, reading how generally well regarded he was on the Blues board is nice to see.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:24 PM
blues10

I wouldn't be surprised if he KO's someone in camp. He may be brought in to instigate some competiveness within the organization with a roster spot available if he beats guys out. We'll see.

He will make the team opening night!

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:26 PM
StaticPrevails

Aww yiss, the PST line is in business.

StaticPrevails is offline   Reply With Quote