HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[CBJ/OTT] David Savard for Ben Bishop

Old
01-14-2013, 11:46 AM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
[CBJ/OTT] David Savard for Ben Bishop

Bishop is NHL ready 25 years old. Nothing else to prove in the AHL.

Ottawa are looking for young defenseman. Savard is 22, has size 6.2 220lbs.

Would Columbus be interested? what else is needed from Ottawa?

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

vCash: 500
Intriguing, especially since the CBJ now have Tim Erixon and Ryan Murray as prospects in the D pipeline.

Isn't he on a 1 way deal and a restricted free agent after this season? With Bobrovsky, Mason, and Bishop all with contracts expiring after the year, I don't know there is an ample opportunity to allow him to prove himself before having to make a contract decision.

I would see him as a better fit in the offseason after Mason and Bobrovsky have had an opportunity to prove (or not prove) themselves worthy of being brought back next season. Even still, the CBJ would be looking to replace them with experience in goal if they fail this year.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Halpysback

Value favors Ottawa greatly, Columbus would be better off seeing what Bobrovsky can do/giving Mason another chance.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:21 PM
TSA0402

Bishop can be an upgrade on Bobrovsky, but he hasn't really proven much in the NHL. Bob has had a good year, granted on a good Flyers team.

My issue is losing David Savard worth the difference between Bob and Bishop, my answer is no. Then again I am quite high on Savard. Possibly as high as Ryan Murray. I'm sure you'll get more than a few people interested.

Columbus has a surplus on defense, but I think they should be looking to acquire young forwards, or a more proven goaltender.

Another issue is that Mason is still with Columbus, and is owed 3 million.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Columbus has finally built a decent pipeline of goalie prospects. In addition to Bobrovsky and Mason in the NHL, there's also York and McElhinney in the AHL. Either one of them could be a short-term stopgap in the event of injury or ineffectiveness.

Further down the line are Martin Ouellette at Maine, who's gone from the third goalie (and possibly transferring) to the starter just this year. There's Anton Forsberg, who's excelled in Sweden this year. There's also Oscar Dansk and Joonas Korpisalo, both of whom were drafted in 2012. All four of these goalies are 21 or younger, and although time will tell if they end up as NHL players, it wouldn't make sense to trade one of the top defensive prospects in the system to get Bishop.

For what it's worth, Bishop is older than both Mason and Bobrovsky, but has proven less at the NHL level than either of them.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
For what it's worth, Bishop is older than both Mason and Bobrovsky, but has proven less at the NHL level than either of them.
Yes. Something like this would have made sense before the trade for Bobrovsky.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
What forward prospect would Columbus want for Savard?

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Synthetek

vCash: 408
Send a message via AIM to Synthetek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Jakub Culek?

Synthetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:59 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
What have either proven other than the fact that they can't step up and be relied on at the NHL level?

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:

That is true, but there is a big advantage to letting a goalie develop in the AHL. Personally, I think Bobrovsky is better, but I would take Bishop over Mason (as a Blues fan).

Mason has lost his confidence and has gotten worse since carrying the Blue Jackets to the playoffs. I would think he is more of of AHL goalie at this point or a major project. As a backup, maybe, but honestly I think Bishop would be a better backup (simply a numbers game in St. Louis otherwise he would have played last year).

Savard has more value.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
One that Ottawa likely wouldn't want to part with.

Old
01-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
What have either proven other than the fact that they can't step up and be relied on at the NHL level?
No, they've both shown that they can be a vital component of a playoff team. Mason didn't sustain it, while Bobrovsky was kicked down to backup status because of the arrival of Cosmonaut Bryzgalov.

Both have shown they can be counted on (to some extent) in the NHL. Bishop has never shown that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
That is true, but there is a big advantage to letting a goalie develop in the AHL. Personally, I think Bobrovsky is better, but I would take Bishop over Mason (as a Blues fan).

Mason has lost his confidence and has gotten worse since carrying the Blue Jackets to the playoffs. I would think he is more of of AHL goalie at this point or a major project. As a backup, maybe, but honestly I think Bishop would be a better backup (simply a numbers game in St. Louis otherwise he would have played last year).

Savard has more value.
No sense in trading Savard for a backup goalie.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:17 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

No way on this idea

David Savard is finally coming into his own. I'm not in any hurry to trade away any of the dmen. Took us to long to get them & when we needed a puck moving dman the league told us to piss off.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:19 PM
jameswrjobe53

vCash: 492
Savard>>>Bishop....

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:59 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! View Post
David Savard is finally coming into his own. I'm not in any hurry to trade away any of the dmen. Took us to long to get them & when we needed a puck moving dman the league told us to piss off.
For ***** and giggles, what if Jakob Silfverberg or Mika Zibanejad are on the table for Savard?

Old
01-14-2013, 08:32 PM
robsenz

I read the title on my phone was became instantly pissed because I thought this went through...I know next to nothing about Savard though

robsenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
One that Ottawa likely wouldn't want to part with.
This, pretty much. Think "future second-line goal-scoring guy" or similar. Honestly, I'd prefer not to trade him at all; he's one of our only quality RHDs and we've got many lefties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
For ***** and giggles, what if Jakob Silfverberg or Mika Zibanejad are on the table for Savard?
Um. We'd have to add, but yeah, that's kind of the direction I'd want to go.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:57 PM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Bishop is NHL ready 25 years old. Nothing else to prove in the AHL.

Ottawa are looking for young defenseman. Savard is 22, has size 6.2 220lbs.

Would Columbus be interested? what else is needed from Ottawa?
Considering CBJ now have (in addition to Wiz/Jack) Ryan Murray, John Moore, Tim Erixon, and David Savard - I do think Columbus would be interested in dealing Savard to address forward or goaltending.

Not sure about Bishop, although I'd love Lehner and/or Zibanejad. I'd propose:

Lehner + Zibanejad + 2nd

Brassard + Savard + Kings 1st round pick in 2013 + Koorpisalo or Dansk

Brass and Savard are both young so will be solid for the future, while also helping Ott win now. Lehner is 21, more experience, and could be the CBJ franchise goalie while OTT has Anderson/Bishop to hold it down for a few years until whichever goalie prospect they got from CBJ is ready.

Lehner and Zibanejad would be 1st line winger and starting goalie to go along with Jenner, Johanson, Moore, and the other young CBJ...

Last edited by IHeartZherdev: 01-14-2013 at 10:09 PM.
IHeartZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:25 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
This, pretty much. Think "future second-line goal-scoring guy" or similar. Honestly, I'd prefer not to trade him at all; he's one of our only quality RHDs and we've got many lefties.

Um. We'd have to add, but yeah, that's kind of the direction I'd want to go.
At this point, I see Savard developmentally ahead of John Moore and Tim Erixon. People see the 4th round selection and seem to ignore how dominant he has been in the AHL for quite awhile. He was solid in both ends and generally unappreciated last year in Columbus in my opinion. Still very young, too.

While I agree Silfverberg is asking alot, Zibanejad's stock has fallen, and honestly at this point from a CBJ standpoint, I'd rather have Savard. Wouldn't be satisfied trading him for a Puempel level prospect, at all.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:31 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
Considering CBJ now have (in addition to Wiz/Jack) Ryan Murray, John Moore, Tim Erixon, and David Savard - I do think Columbus would be interested in dealing Savard to address forward or goaltending.

Lehner + Zibanejad + 2nd

Brass and Savard are both young so will be solid for the future, while also helping Ott win now. Lehner is 21, more experience, and could be the CBJ franchise goalie while OTT has Anderson/Bishop to hold it down for a few years until whichever goalie prospect they got from CBJ is ready.

Lehner and Zibanejad would be 1st line winger and starting goalie to go along with Jenner, Johanson, Moore, and the other young CBJ...
I wouldn't trade Lehner alone for that package. Yikes...

Amazing the CBJ doesn't want Bishop because they already have the 2 worst goalies in the league on 1-way contracts

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Sergei Berezin

Quote:
Columbus has finally built a decent pipeline of goalie prospects. In addition to Bobrovsky and Mason in the NHL, there's also York and McElhinney in the AHL. Either one of them could be a short-term stopgap in the event of injury or ineffectiveness.

Further down the line are Martin Ouellette at Maine, who's gone from the third goalie (and possibly transferring) to the starter just this year. There's Anton Forsberg, who's excelled in Sweden this year. There's also Oscar Dansk and Joonas Korpisalo, both of whom were drafted in 2012. All four of these goalies are 21 or younger, and although time will tell if they end up as NHL players, it wouldn't make sense to trade one of the top defensive prospects in the system to get Bishop.

Join LeafsNation.

We're in desperate need of more bright minds like yourself.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:44 PM
BK201

Quote:

Lehner + Zibanejad + 2nd

Lol nah that's ok it's not very good for Ottawa. For Zibanejad and Lehner it would take a lot more than that tbh.

Zibanejad is considered a prospect with first line potential his grade is an 8C he pretty raw but high potential, and Lehner is posting a 1.90 GAA with A .945 save% On an average 35.25 shots per games and a record of 14-5-1 and has already won MVP of the AHL while also carrying the bsens to a Calder cup. I also watched him shut out the bruins last year.

No way our top prospects get moved for what your saying.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:20 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm... I'm not quite sure you understand what you just typed.. Decent? Decent as in .900 GAA decent? I can see that. Effective? No.

Quote:

Lehner + Zibanejad + 2nd

If you told me that package for Zibanejad or Lehner alone I'd laugh.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 12:34 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

Lehner + Zibanejad + 2nd

That sounds like a wonderful way to infuriate both sides.

Zib's concussions are getting him dangerously close to boom-or-bust territory (if he overcomes them, he's still a blue-chip #1C type, but they just keep coming). And getting Lehner, as compared to our current goaltending pipeline, is basically swapping out a "great maybe" for a "highly awesome likely maybe". We need a "YES, definitely." It's the same core issue that makes it silly to trade for someone like Bernier. And we can't really afford to give up what scoring we've got without getting anything back.

And Ottawa will trade Lehner shortly after the sun explodes. They don't need to experiment with goaltending like we have been - they've got Anderson doing well for now and so can afford to wait for Lehner to become awesome, so downgrading there is nonsensical. No reason for them to trade him. And trading Zib at this juncture would be relatively foolish - especially since what they're getting is yet another #2C (which they don't need) who underperforms at wing, and a defenseman who (much like our concerns with getting a prospect goaltender) might not actually be NHL ready!

This doesn't actually solve either team's problems, but it does sure as hell make current areas of worry even worse for both. It's insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Amazing the CBJ doesn't want Bishop because they already have the 2 worst goalies in the league on 1-way contracts
Funny, I must have missed the point at which Bishop became a proven winning NHL goaltender that would be worth giving up assets for.

Do we have a proven NHL goaltender? No. Do we have lots of guys who could be quality NHL goaltenders in the future? Why, yes!

So do we want another "maybe in the future" goaltender? Hell no. Makes no sense.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 01:07 AM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
I dont see Bishop becoming more than a back up. Hes really not all that great.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote