HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2012-13 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 04:09 PM
kwhyte

vCash: 500
I'm a Verizon customer in Chicago. As such I expected an unto attic renewal, and that I'd be free to watch all the games I cared about except the Blackhawks, whose blackout would bypass both NBC and Verizon. This is disappointing, but not unexpected from the Wirths. However, I couldn't watch the Flyers-Pens game, nor the Blackhawks game. I wrote to both Verizon and the NHL. I don't know which of them is at fault, but I have asked for a refund of my "prorated" $50 for this season if this is what I can expect.

I have a bad feeling that I will not get a refund, not get an improvement going forward, and even not get an apology about "difficulties" with the transition. I will be sure to update as I get responses. My first choice is to watch games, my second is to be charged less - you will only hear from me if neither occurs, even though both were promised.

Kevin
Sharks fan in Chicagao
NHL and Verizon sucker

Old
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourquoi pas View Post
Do you fail to realize that the situation has changed since the last season? There will be blackouts in Europe, it has been confirmed for several countries already..
Give me some links, please. I've only heard rumours so far.

As you know, the Stanley Cup finals were shown on European TV channels such as Nova Sport. But they still were not blacked out in GameCenter in Europe.

Old
Eddy Livingstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
There is no NHL on ESPN America. Even if it were, it has nothing to do with Europe.

Don't panic, guys. All games were available live via GameCenter in Europe last season, despite Nova Sport, etc. I think today's situation must be a misunderstanding. Someone must have thought NBC is available in all of Europe, like it is in all of the US.
No the rep i spoke to clearly mentioned the blackouts are a new policy agreed to with ESPN America. And it is going to last all season.

Old
Droc
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
No, it doesn't. ANY mass online service has to go through this on opening night/week. There simply isn't any good way to guess what load will be, so they need to make adjustments on the fly. It's already back and smooth. If it cuts out, you let a few minutes go by and try again. Hammering it to get back in will do nothing but frustrate you unnecessarily. This is how these things work, it's just a fact.

It will be fine before you even manage to process your refund. And no one cares that you request it either, you're only annoying yourself.
I disagree.
This is not the first game, this is not the first season opener the service has even had. This is not a free service. This is not a playoff game or cup broadcast.
Its been 2 hours and its out for a bloody sens and jets game. Thats ********. Passable for a free service, but not for a pay service.
Whats even worse is the phone support is down and the chat support that is to be online, stayed home.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:10 PM
kogeh

NHL GameCenter Live is still available, however, in your area now Arena Sports has purchased the rights to the show certain games on their network. Because of this some games will be blacked out from NHL GameCenter Live during that time and will not be shown live. This will include some playoff games. If you have any more questions please let us know.

for Croatia. Funny thing is Arena Sport is available only trough one provider which I don't have acces to.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:11 PM
NeoCanuck

Send a message via AIM to NeoCanuck Send a message via MSN to NeoCanuck
Okay, since I'm somewhat confused.

What platforms can I get the free preview on?
Apple TV
Digital Cable?

Old
01-19-2013, 04:11 PM
RapidFire

I can't even watch games on gamecenter cause NHL.com is being a ***** and nothing loads other than the front page

Old
01-19-2013, 04:12 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhyte View Post
I'm a Verizon customer in Chicago. As such I expected an unto attic renewal, and that I'd be free to watch all the games I cared about except the Blackhawks, whose blackout would bypass both NBC and Verizon. This is disappointing, but not unexpected from the Wirths. However, I couldn't watch the Flyers-Pens game, nor the Blackhawks game. I wrote to both Verizon and the NHL. I don't know which of them is at fault, but I have asked for a refund of my "prorated" $50 for this season if this is what I can expect.

I have a bad feeling that I will not get a refund, not get an improvement going forward, and even not get an apology about "difficulties" with the transition. I will be sure to update as I get responses. My first choice is to watch games, my second is to be charged less - you will only hear from me if neither occurs, even though both were promised.

Kevin
Sharks fan in Chicagao
NHL and Verizon sucker
The blackout rules are very clear. The game is broadcast on national television and thus it will be blacked out 100% of the time. Sorry you failed to read the rules.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidFire View Post
I can't even watch games on gamecenter cause NHL.com is being a ***** and nothing loads other than the front page
same. i can't even log in to my account.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Droc
Classless

Quote:
Feels good to support the NHL after this fun lockout eh?

Old
01-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
I disagree.
This is not the first game, this is not the first season opener the service has even had. This is not a free service. This is not a playoff game or cup broadcast.
Its been 2 hours and its out for a bloody sens and jets game. Thats ********. Passable for a free service, but not for a pay service.
Whats even worse is the phone support is down and the chat support that is to be online, stayed home.
but it is not a 1st season opener where it is coming directly after a 4 month break from the nhl after a lockout that has kept many fans dying for hockey to be played.

if this was just another season opener i wouldn't care, but the fact that i have been missing hockey these past 4 months, i decided that today was just a sit and watch hockey day. (lots of fans are watching games they just don't care about because it is hockey).

Old
CallToronto

the computer portion of gcl has been working fine for me today, but still no luck on the xbox. I am rather disappointed by that, i really wanted to try that out.

anyone try contacting any xbox support staff yet about the issue?

Old
theripper

Quote:
yep,most people having this problem. you might get lucky for a minute and slip into the site. when there,you can load the games,but just to load a game its going to take awhile,and the quality is real low,and the framerate is horrible.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
I disagree.
Im never one to defend a big corporation, especially not the NHL. But from a technical standpoint I more than understand what's going on and can tolerate it. $50 service and hockey 4 months late means a LOT more people are going at it, and they didn't predict it accurately. I don't know about your end, but I've missed all of 5 minutes so far.

I'd be upset it this cost $150... or if this is still happening next week. One or two nights with a few issues? Par for the course. You must not play online games

Either way, like I said... you can't reach anyone and you're not gonna get a refund before the issues are fixed. It's $50. You'll probably regret the impulse.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Livingstone View Post
No the rep i spoke to clearly mentioned the blackouts are a new policy agreed to with ESPN America. And it is going to last all season.
What does ESPN America have to do with Slovakia, for example? Sorry, I don't believe this for now. Not sure if ESPN America can be watched in Slovakia at all, and if yes, it's an extremely obscure channel. Should they start blacklisting based on that, people will have no compunction resorting to pirated offerings (both free and paid-for).

Old
01-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

On another note... has anyone been able to link their PS3 to their GCL account using the code they supply? The link they provide to input that just leads me to the home page.

Just wondering if that's another kink they have to work out, or an issue with me

Old
01-19-2013, 04:18 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

People, please... read this because its the last time I am posting this.

NHL is being hit by a large amount of users, like yourself, who want to watch games. Website load is a very difficult thing to gauge and due to the high amount of concurrent connections the website is slow and unresponsive. GCL as a product is fine, and in a day or two when adjustments can be made to their infrastructure everything will be normal. Your complaining the GCL 'sucks' or is 'crap' helps nothing.

If this bothers you that much, you are free to cancel your account within the defined time period given to you. If you refuse to cancel, please dont complain about the product as your comments come as immature and pointless.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:18 PM
NeoCanuck

Send a message via AIM to NeoCanuck Send a message via MSN to NeoCanuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCanuck View Post

Apple TV
Digital Cable?
Anyone?

Old
01-19-2013, 04:19 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
On another note... has anyone been able to link their PS3 to their GCL account using the code they supply? The link they provide to input that just leads me to the home page.

Just wondering if that's another kink they have to work out, or an issue with me
The new PS3 app hasn't even been released yet. Of course your new subscription won't work with the inactive old app.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:19 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasmacarthur View Post
If you cancel it and then hear things are getting better you can order it again.

There's only a short frame during which you can cancel so I'd do it just to be safe.

Those of you who used PayPal should dispute it with a "product not delivered" if they give you a hard time on getting a refund.
its a 5 day cancellation policy you have 5 days to get a full refund

Old
01-19-2013, 04:21 PM
RapidFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
People, please... read this because its the last time I am posting this.

NHL is being hit by a large amount of users, like yourself, who want to watch games. Website load is a very difficult thing to gauge and due to the high amount of concurrent connections the website is slow and unresponsive. GCL as a product is fine, and in a day or two when adjustments can be made to their infrastructure everything will be normal. Your complaining the GCL 'sucks' or is 'crap' helps nothing.

If this bothers you that much, you are free to cancel your account within the defined time period given to you. If you refuse to cancel, please dont complain about the product as your comments come as immature and pointless.
This was expected. Why weren't they prepared?

There's always an apologist complaining about others complaining

Old
01-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCanuck View Post

Apple TV
Digital Cable?
Definitely not Apple TV.

I wouldn't hesitate to spend the $50 even without a free preview. It's a very low "lockout" price to pay. Hell, the KHL charges this much for 2 months of online live broadcasts!

Old
01-19-2013, 04:23 PM
RedBruin

Quote:

yeah it's not like this was unexpected. Some people have been waiting9 months to watch their team again. But I'm not exactly surprised/shocked Fairly sure it will be up and running smoothly Monday at the latest

Old
8Bing7

no one should cancel after one day because like someone said they are probably being hit by a lot of people right now. Mine is shaky for PC and my tablet wont even load much besides old videos it just hangs when trying to load any live games or scores.

If its not fixed after a few days or a week then they should give you a refund but ill wait and see

Old
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:

was it really expected?

maybe they expected the same as last year, but once it comes up and that number is triple that. should the nhl really think the bandwidth would triple after a lockout? lol

Closed Thread