HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NJD] Travis Zajac extended (8 years, $5.75M cap hit)

Old
01-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
Callahan doesnt even come close to the hockey IQ of Zajac. Callahan plays with grit and total heart, thats why he is valuable to the Rangers. Zajac is a very very smart player and A LOT of people dont know it.
Sure, Zajac may be the smarter player, but when comparing the two, they are pretty close as reflected by there career PPGs and respective roles on each team.

Zajac is a smart player, but the same was said for Drury/Horcoff/Linden, etc and these physical 'elite 2nd line' centers can fall off a cliff pretty quick. Heck, even Kesler is battling with his fair share of injuries the past two years. I think there's a tremendous risk involved in committing long term deals into these types of players. Same thing I said about Parise when he signed with the Wild. I don't see Zajac improving much, but if he plays like he did in the playoffs for the duration of his contract, the Devils are set for the next decade. High risk, high reward.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:41 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Zach View Post
Not at all. It's a necessary move. In a world where Ales Hemsky is worth 5 million a year, Travis Zajac at 5.75 is more than palatable.
Let me know when Zajac puts up 75+ points. In 10-11, Zajac put up only 2 more points in a whopping 35 more games. Hemsky when he's healthy isn't bad value at 5 million. The difference is though, if Hemsky can't get it together, we simply don't resign him. Zajac got term, AND an overpayment. NJ had to do it, but that doesn't mean that it's a good contract

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:42 AM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Sure, Zajac may be the smarter player, but when comparing the two, they are pretty close as reflected by there career PPGs and respective roles on each team.

Zajac is a smart player, but the same was said for Drury/Horcoff/Linden, etc and these physical 'elite 2nd line' centers can fall off a cliff pretty quick. Heck, even Kesler is battling with his fair share of injuries the past two years. I think there's a tremendous risk involved in committing long term deals into these types of players. Same thing I said about Parise when he signed with the Wild. I don't see Zajac improving much, but if he plays like he did in the playoffs for the duration of his contract, the Devils are set for the next decade. High risk, high reward.
I edited the comment you replied to, it sounded wayyy too harsh and I didnt intend it to sound that way haha, check out the edited one.

I understand your point, most of us Devil fans are not worried at all, we know what he can bring to the table. As always us Devils fans are very defensive because everything we read or hear is mostly negative about the franchise, we should have shut up and avoided this crazy thread because we know how valuable he is to our team and we are all happy about this contract.

Also a lot of people are mentioning his 44pt season in 2010-2011. Anyone, maybe except Sidney Crosby would have had below average numbers on our team that year. Maclean coached with no system, everyone on our stacked roster that year had below average numbers. Elias and Kovalchuk included, even Parise wasnt doing anything before he got injured.

But what do I know, I'm just a Devils fan on HF...

Last edited by NjDevsRR: 01-17-2013 at 01:03 AM.
NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:01 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktard23 View Post
im gonna make a guarantee..within two years zajac will be better than brad richards..hell ill go even farther both zajac and henrique will be better than him.
I'd easily take that bet, Brad Richards hockey sense and playmaking abilities are beyond Zajac's considerably, his style of play isn't going to drastically decrease due to age. Richards could easily be pumping out an 80 point season in 2 years time, Zajac will likely never reach those numbers in his career.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:07 AM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias026 View Post
about a month ago there was a thread for what Weiss and Zajac contracts will be everyone was saying Zajac will get 5 to 6.5 mil per, now that he is signed people say its bad the short term memory of HF
Relatively short thread, but the consensus was clearly 5.5 to 6 million.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1308075

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoWarrior View Post
It's essentially the contract he'd get in UFA, but it's way better than losing him. Overpayed and signed for too long but he's a very good player. Most teams would still take him at that price.
If the contract is what Zajac would have commanded on the open market, then the Devils paid the market price.

I've also seen several posts arguing that the longer term should've led to a discount. At Zajac's age (27), a player generally gets a premium for giving up more prime years of his career. The situation flips for the retirement contract in the mid 30s - then more years lead to a discount because the player is eager to gain as long a term as possible.

Last edited by Brick City: 01-17-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Brick City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:10 AM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
Relatively short thread, but the consensus was clearly 5.5 to 6 million.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1308075

If the contract is what Zajac would have commanded on the open market, then the Devils paid the market price.

I've also seen several posts arguing that the longer term should've led to a discount. At Zajac's age (27), a player generally gets a premium for giving up more prime years of his career. The situation flips for the retirement contract in the mid 30s - then more years lead to a discount because the player is eager to gain as long a term as possible.
/Thread

Lock her down

Old
01-17-2013, 01:19 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktard23 View Post
im gonna make a guarantee..within two years zajac will be better than brad richards..hell ill go even farther both zajac and henrique will be better than him.
You do realize that Brad Richards has 2 90+ point seasons (on different teams and in years with no one else on his team cracking a point per game or better - St. Louis a year removed from winning the Ross & Hart had 31 goals and 61 points in 06) and a Conn Smythe to his name, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
I can feel for Devils fans on this signing. Non-Wild fans were saying that Koivu was getting overpaid when he signed his last contract, while we were all perfectly fine with the deal. Same thing here, reality is Devils fans see Zajac more than anyone, and know his value to NJ.
Koivu is far more talented offensively and could be a point per game player or better if it wasn't for the fact that he's played with next to no talent and under Jacques Lemaire for a good portion of his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
I have never seen a PR campaign like the Nj fans have been on since July trying to convince all the other NHL fans that zachs loss won't be felt because of these superstars Henrique and Zajac and while both are nice players they are so overhyped by Devil fans because outside of those 2, Kovalchuk and possibly larsson down the road there is literally NOTHING else to get excited about on that roster or in the prospect pool to get excited about.

.Marty is gone in a yr and a half and Elias isn't far behind so a lack of depth EVERYWHERE and severely overhyping guys who are 1st/2nd line tweeners like these 2 won't translate well at that point.
I used to try to predict the demise of the Devils every year. Somehow, they find ways to win games. Very little in talent with a defense that looks like an AHL squad on paper and they find ways to win. I don't get it. Gotta be the coaching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post
I edited the comment you replied to, it sounded wayyy too harsh and I didnt intend it to sound that way haha, check out the edited one.

I understand your point, most of us Devil fans are not worried at all, we know what he can bring to the table. As always us Devils fans are very defensive because everything we read or hear is mostly negative about the franchise, we should have shut up and avoided this crazy thread because we know how valuable he is to our team and we are all happy about this contract.

Also a lot of people are mentioning his 44pt season in 2010-2011. Anyone, maybe except Sidney Crosby would have had below average numbers on our team that year. Maclean coached with no system, everyone on our stacked roster that year had below average numbers. Elias and Kovalchuk included, even Parise wasnt doing anything before he got injured.
Zajac is a VERY good 2nd line center. I don't know of a team that wouldn't want to have him. He can skate well for a guy his size, his defensive play is very good (I'd say right outside of Selke Caliber - on a level with Callahan, they have the same amount of top-10 Norris finishes, if I remember correctly from the last thread that this debate got brought up in) and he's a tenacious forechecker.

Personally, you can call me a biased Ranger fan if you want, but I don't see him being much more than a 20-25 goal 60-70 point very good two-way center. If that's your first line center, fine, signing him to this deal isn't bad at all. You had to overpay him since you were taking away his prime UFA years. However, if he's playing with Kovalchuk, who knows. That guy doesn't need a center to put up points and playing with Kovalchuk will only help Zajac's offensive numbers.

I think Zajac is overpaid, but not by an extreme amount.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:26 AM
NjDevsRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
You do realize that Brad Richards has 2 90+ point seasons (on different teams and in years with no one else on his team cracking a point per game or better - St. Louis a year removed from winning the Ross & Hart had 31 goals and 61 points in 06) and a Conn Smythe to his name, right?

Koivu is far more talented offensively and could be a point per game player or better if it wasn't for the fact that he's played with next to no talent and under Jacques Lemaire for a good portion of his career.

I used to try to predict the demise of the Devils every year. Somehow, they find ways to win games. Very little in talent with a defense that looks like an AHL squad on paper and they find ways to win. I don't get it. Gotta be the coaching.

Zajac is a VERY good 2nd line center. I don't know of a team that wouldn't want to have him. He can skate well for a guy his size, his defensive play is very good (I'd say right outside of Selke Caliber - on a level with Callahan, they have the same amount of top-10 Norris finishes, if I remember correctly from the last thread that this debate got brought up in) and he's a tenacious forechecker.

Personally, you can call me a biased Ranger fan if you want, but I don't see him being much more than a 20-25 goal 60-70 point very good two-way center. If that's your first line center, fine, signing him to this deal isn't bad at all. You had to overpay him since you were taking away his prime UFA years. However, if he's playing with Kovalchuk, who knows. That guy doesn't need a center to put up points and playing with Kovalchuk will only help Zajac's offensive numbers.

I think Zajac is overpaid, but not by an extreme amount.
Very good and fair post.

Zajac is the type of guy the Devils need, so this contract is fair and he has the smarts to be good in the latter part of his career. Zajac showed a lot of chemistry with Kovy but he also works very well with Zubrus. Our first line at camp yesterday was Zubrus Zajac Kovy so I am very excited to see what that line can do. Our second line will have Elias centering so he will make anyone playing with him good. When Henrique returns at 100% health the Devils will once again be fine.

Parise was a huge part of our team but I think the system that Deboer introduced makes everyone compete hard and he gets everything out of everyone which is why I am not worried. Our first strength is our defensive depth, no true number one d pairing but everyone is very good and responsible, Salvador, Tallinder, Greene, Fayne, Larsson, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Harrold, I trust them all. With these eight guys a trade can easily happen to add depth to our offense. Also if Butler lives up to our expectations it will only help our top six. I also wouldnt even be surprised if we sign Gomez after he is bought out. All jokes aside, the past is the past and I can see him fitting well on our bottom six at a cheap price. With Zubrus and Elias not aging at all and honestly getting better in the last few seasons, I can see both of them staying for another three years. Clarkson also loves it here and loves playing for his once junior coach in Deboer so I would be shocked if he went somewhere else. We have enough forwards for the next three years in order to restock our forward prospects. I like our future.

Only time will tell.

Last edited by NjDevsRR: 01-17-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old
01-17-2013, 01:38 AM
Tretyak 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
You got it! Just think "I'm Captain Jack Sparrow, savy?" That's us. The New Jersey Devils. We always find a way.

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:08 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
Somebody would've given him the same deal as a UFA but that isn't even the point...Old Man Lou had no choice but to be the first GM to go to the max limits term wise in not allowing Zajac to walk for nothing like Zach chose to do.

Zajac is a really, really solid 2 way player but I see devil fans saying they locked in their #1 center for the next 8 yrs but while that may be the case he isn't a #1 on a team that wants to be a consistent top team...great two-way 2nd line center but he's not a #1.

Reading the Devil board I see posters saying they expect career yrs out of Kovalcuk and Zajac now that there won't be "so many flubbed passes by Zach in front of the net" as if the two didn't play a full season together and without that villain Zach with disastrous results in 2010-11...(cue the "magical 20 game run" nonsense and excuses about everything but the team sucking on the ice)

I know Zach was not as important to the team in devil fans new found thinking as of July 4th but the last 2 seasons prove that the team was brutal missing him all season 2 yrs ago but Zach lead the team to a 102 pt season last seasonwith no Zajac so the play on the ice says differently.

And back to old man Lou...he is getting SOFT in his twilight yrs here!!!

First the whole debacle with the 17 yr deal 100 million $$ deal that resulted in an extra 3 million and a very much needed 1st and 3rd rounders because it pushed the boundaries and circumventing way to blatant was Lou orchestrated and ow Lou has to rush out to dole out the very first max length, no trade clause, big $$$ deal with the ink barely dry on the new CBA we just lost 1/2 a season to!!!

My how times have changed.

And say what you will but Lou 10 yrs ago NEVER allows an individual player to put himself above the teams goals and interests all for a totally meaningless all-star game and missing 1/2 of the teams already shortened camp.

I'd love to hear any devil fan tell me differently that followed the devils from their '95-2003 seasons...
You're obsessed with the Devils. Seek help.

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:30 AM
The Right Price

The average seems maybe a bit high over 8 years but nothing that would scream overpayment. Reasonable deal.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:38 AM
Sportserie

I think it's a no brainer that the Devils had to get this deal done since they lost Parise. For the fans, for the players, the franchise, they just had to get this done so it wasn't a worry. It was a good deal. Whether it was a slight overpayment or not is immaterial since the anxiety is over, he is signed, and that is worth it.

Sportserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:59 AM
Wingsfan2965*

In a world where Travis Zajac gets paid more than John Tavares...

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:53 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Is the same world where Antti Niemi makes 2x as much as Jonathan Quick. See what a difference UFA vs. RFA makes?

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:59 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Wow these moron GMs will never learn. 8 years for Travis freakin Zajac?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:21 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

Which NHL team do you GM for, again?

I guess it is an overpayment though considering how many Rangers fans think so. If there's any fan base who has experience with overpayments, it is certainly that one.

Zajac, Henrique and Josefson. Devils are set down the middle for the next five years!

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:46 AM
MadDevil

Great signing by Lou. Zajac may not be worth that much to some teams, but he is to the Devils, and that's all that matters.

MadDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:46 AM
Bondys Champagne
Who dey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Dumb and uninformed. UFA vs. RFA. Not so hard to grasp

Bondys Champagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:36 AM
Man Bear Pig

The cap hit isn't what worries me, it's the years. There are way too many things that can wrong in that amount of time. We're seeing it right now with Redden and Gomez.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:40 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

what a surprise seeing all the experts call this an overpay, locking up a top 2 line center thru the prime of his career for under a 6 mil cap hit is going to be the going rate, wake up hf'ers. all your teams will be doing the same thing

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:41 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Let me know when Zajac puts up 75+ points. In 10-11, Zajac put up only 2 more points in a whopping 35 more games. Hemsky when he's healthy isn't bad value at 5 million. The difference is though, if Hemsky can't get it together, we simply don't resign him. Zajac got term, AND an overpayment. NJ had to do it, but that doesn't mean that it's a good contract
Comparing Zajac to Hemsky is a joke! It's been over 3 years since Hemsky has stayed healthy enough to be a factor. He's got tons to prove, and every season it's the same song from Oil fans "this is the year Hemsky will be healthy and score PPG"... But we all know how that story ends. Zajac is a 60+ point center with very good hands, plays PP and PK.

What's funny to me is Oil fans chirping Zajac is overpaid here, yet wait til Tambo re-signs Gagner to a $4.5m contract when he's expired.. He's yet to score 50 points (in 5 years)

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:45 AM
EliasR8
Brendan Shanahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
The moron GM who just had his team in the Stanley Cup finals?

EliasR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:48 AM
beastly115

Slight overpayment, but that's a given if you hope to keep him in Jersey.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:58 AM
hlaverty06

For everyone saying that its a slight overpayment, thats fine. NJD fans are more than pleased with this deal. For his role to our team its very fair.

Want to know how easy he probably could have gotten 6-6.5? Telling Lou he's 1 of 4 true top 6 players we have right now and he can walk.

But he's loyal. He took a shot at Zach in his interview. They are BFFs no longer

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:04 AM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Biggest overpayment since dipietro

Christmas Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote