HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[NJD] Travis Zajac extended (8 years, $5.75M cap hit)

Old
03-14-2013, 01:05 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Zajac will bounce back. He might not be the 67 point guy he was with Parise, but there is every reason to believe he could be a 50 point guy providing a strong two-way game.

Overpaid, but he had all the leverage here. It's not like Devils could go with Henrique and Josefsson as their top two centers going forward.
I agree with both of your points but people also have to consider that this is a new CBA. You can't compare contracts in this CBA to one in the old CBA.

Heck, most people think the only few long-term contracts signed so far were major overpayments.. that's because we're used to certain figures from the past ten years but those figures are different now. What we considered overpayments in the old CBA are going to be run of the mill now.

I think Zajac is a tad overpaid and should be at 5M.. but for an extra 750k, I'm okay with it. Guy is a top defensive center who has shown in the past he has offensive upside.. he's just not scoring this year in the 27 games he's played. I think I'll go with the other 400+ games he's played and say his offense will bounce back.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:18 PM
BillDineen

As Devils fans said before, Zajac is a 60 point plus player. (Just ignore his stats).

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:26 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
People still think Devils fans are mad about this deal ???

Thats funny

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:39 PM
HenriqueItsOver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
As Devils fans said before, Zajac is a 60 point plus player. (Just ignore his stats).
flyers are a good team.

HenriqueItsOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
The list of players who have struggled offensively after signing a big contract is about as long as the Leaf's championship drought.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Jerzey Devil

IMO Zajac is overpaid by the equivalent of a 4th liner (750k-1mil). Not enough to get as upset as some people think Devils fans should be.

I like him on the line with Clarkson and Poni though. I think that kind of line fits his style best. Whether or not you want to call that a 3rd line is up to you but I don't see that as a typical 3rd line. He's never going to be a scoring ace so IMO playing him with Kovy is a mistake.

Jerzey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Zajac will bounce back. He might not be the 67 point guy he was with Parise, but there is every reason to believe he could be a 50 point guy providing a strong two-way game.

Overpaid, but he had all the leverage here. It's not like Devils could go with Henrique and Josefsson as their top two centers going forward.
This. And it's not like the Devils will be spending, or be close to the cap, anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I'm a Devils fan, and I don't see him as a 60+ point player.

He is more of the 50-60 point player who can reach higher numbers in better years. This year, he's just lack the players that play his style. There is a reason he has looked better between Carter and Clarkson then when he was alongside Kovalchuk. Playing with Kovalchuk is not his game, he plays the game that Carter, Clarkson, and Bernier play.

He put up high numbers because he was playing alongside Parise and Langenbrunner, both who play the kind of way he thrives, and getting top line minutes.

However, even when he's not scoring, he is so crucial in many areas including penalty kill, faceoffs, defensively, that he's worth so much to this team. There is a reason why when going up against opposing top lines, he didn't have an even strength goal against until over 20 games into the season.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote