HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXI

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2013, 10:14 AM
the_fan

vCash: 500
O'Reilly+Barrie or Elliott or O'Brien to PHX for Yandle

Old
01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
ThunderBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Or possibly some disagreement on what role he would have on the team if he signed a bridge deal. I could understand that O'Reilly would want a chance to put up offensive numbers if he was going to have two years to define what type of player he is and earn a big contract. With Stastny and a healthy Duchene on the team, I could see how that would be a concern.

Him wanting a clarification of that is understandable and I could see how he would switch to a long term contract preference if he wasn't convinced about what role he would have.

Just wild speculation of course.
My wild speculation with two scenarios. ROR wanted 4 mil Avs wanted 3.5 mil the started inching closer and the Avs said we can only go to X for a 3rd line center, and then problems with where he slots in at. Or the Avs and ROR were close to around 4 mil per and then Duchene and Johnson signed cheaper deals and the Avs came back with these two signed for X no way we can pay you almost 4 mil.

But I think as TPS stated something was said in negotiations that either made ROR go back to his original number or raise his demands.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:34 AM
Daddy Longlegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Lowering the scope of it a deal pulling Little and Postma could probably be easily worked. It would involve trading one of our centers, probably ROR with the contract situation.
Little and Postma could probably be acquired for Matt Duchene. Would be a great trade for the Avs.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:42 AM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs View Post
Little and Postma could probably be acquired for Matt Duchene. Would be a great trade for the Avs.
No it would not. lol.

Old
01-25-2013, 12:48 AM
GamingGiant

Quote:
No, it wouldn't.

Old
01-25-2013, 01:09 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:

Old
01-25-2013, 01:17 AM
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick

Quote:

Duchene isn't moving. Especially not for that.

Old
01-25-2013, 03:26 AM
skip2mybordeleau
Bye Stefan Elliott

vCash: 50
Quote:
i think all of your 195 posts are about ways matt duchene could get traded to winnipeg.

Old
01-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkdnvr View Post
This is close to what I think probably happened. Agreed that it's wild speculation, but plausible - more plausible IMHO than ROR simply coming out of the gate wanting $5m/yr.

i.e. Avs offer Duchenes 2/7 deal. ROR camp was thinking 2/7.5 or 2/8 based on the idea that his breakout year establishes him as a legit 2nd line offensive threat along with elite defense, plus captain-level intangibles. Avs don't want to pay him any more than Duchene, so they argue their side. Maybe something along these lines
- Landy helped ROR more than the other way round
- countered the intangibles w/ Landy, culminating in naming him captain
- knew that their plans were Landy/Duchene/PAP, so ROR was back to a clear 3rd line role - indicated this either directly or indirectly via comparables.

Given this, you can see ROR being a bit sensitive and saying 'fine, if you're taking away my chance to put up offensive numbers which would help in my next contract, I'd prefer something longer. If that's going to include some UFA years, then the price goes up'.

IMHO neither side comes out of this looking great.
I wouldn't call this a plausible scenario, I'd call this a highly probable scenario. Great post!

It's unfortunate that RoR sees things that way though, because things can change quickly in the NHL and generally, players that have shown the ability to play an offensive role, aren't relegated to a checking line role for no reason. Teams find a way to get those players the ice time they need to make their team better.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Foppa2118

So Lombardi is out indefinitely with an upper body injury. Depending on the severity, I wonder if this may lead to any past talks, picking up again with the Yotes?

Old
01-26-2013, 01:59 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
So Lombardi is out indefinitely with an upper body injury. Depending on the severity, I wonder if this may lead to any past talks, picking up again with the Yotes?
Highly possible, of course that is assuming that the Avs were the rumored team that the offer was on the table for.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Highly possible, of course that is assuming that the Avs were the rumored team that the offer was on the table for.
Right. Even if they weren't though, you have to think with O'Reilly unsigned and Maloney admitting they were looking for a 2nd line center, he had to at least call Sherman to check on his availability. If Lombardi is out for a while, there's a good chance he'll do so again to see if the Avs may have changed their minds at all.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:02 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
I never heard that, the Avs part of the story that is.

EDIT:

I misunderstood your post RL, sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by Ivan13: 01-26-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old
01-26-2013, 02:03 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Right. Even if they weren't though, you have to think with O'Reilly unsigned and Maloney admitting they were looking for a 2nd line center, he had to at least call Sherman to check in his availability. If Lombardi is out for a while, there's a good chance hell do so again to see if the Avs may have changed their minds at all.
No, I totally agree with you. And that piece by Friedman that came out, where one unnamed GM had said that O'Reilly is definitely a #2 Center, and with the right wingers could be a #1.

I'm still hoping that he is re-signed and stays, but of course we'll just have to see how this all plays out

Old
01-26-2013, 02:04 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I never heard that, the Avs part of the story that is.
I'm not saying that the Avs WERE the rumored team, I was saying that assuming the Avs were the rumored team, then talks could get restarted.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
I'm not saying that the Avs WERE the rumored team, I was saying that assuming the Avs were the rumored team, then talks could get restarted.
No I know what you meant. We may be going in circles a bit here, but I meant its almost a given that Maloney would have at least inquired about O'Reilly. Whether things got beyond that is a guessing game, but if Maloney is looking to replace Lombardi now, I would think its almost a given again that he would check back with Sherman to see if their position has changed with the time that's gone by.

Of course the severity of Ryan's foot injury probably also plays a factor.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
See my edit RL, once again sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:17 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
See my edit RL, once again sorry for the misunderstanding.
Hey bud, no need for apologies, it's all good

Old
01-26-2013, 02:37 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
No I know what you meant. We may be going in circles a bit here, but I meant its almost a given that Maloney would have at least inquired about O'Reilly. Whether things got beyond that is a guessing game, but if Maloney is looking to replace Lombardi now, I would think its almost a given again that he would check back with Sherman to see if their position has changed with the time that's gone by.

Of course the severity of Ryan's foot injury probably also plays a factor.
Yeah, my reply was for Ivan...I think my wording was a little bit off on what I said and just cased a bit of confusion, that's my bad.

Let me ask you Foppa...in a hypothetical, IF O'Reilly were to be traded, and if it were to Phoenix, what do you believe we would get in return?

I'm not sure we could logistically pry Yandle away, and I know for a fact that OEL is about as much of a non-starter for Phoenix as Landeskog would be for us.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Coyotes are very budget conscious. I can't imagine them being willing to give O'Reilly $5M/year.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:55 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Coyotes are very budget conscious. I can't imagine them being willing to give O'Reilly $5M/year.
Is that really still the case? I don't imagine the new owner is going to foolishly throw money out the window, but they were running on a shoe-string budget the last few years because of a broke-dick idiot owner and then three years of having their bills paid by the other 29 teams. I hope Jamison will be a positive addition to the NHL.

Regardless...Tippett and Maloney have been incredible keeping this whole ****show viable the last few years.

Old
01-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
He'd be number one in Phoenix, bet he'd sign a bridge deal there.

Old
01-26-2013, 05:38 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Not sure what idea you guys have but I highly doubt Yandle gets moved. He is top pairing on a team that went to the Western Finals last season. They aren't looking to make their team worse.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:09 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Yeah, my reply was for Ivan...I think my wording was a little bit off on what I said and just cased a bit of confusion, that's my bad.

Let me ask you Foppa...in a hypothetical, IF O'Reilly were to be traded, and if it were to Phoenix, what do you believe we would get in return?

I'm not sure we could logistically pry Yandle away, and I know for a fact that OEL is about as much of a non-starter for Phoenix as Landeskog would be for us.
Oh, whoops. My fault actually, I thought that was me you quoted for some reason.

I think you're probably right though, it's unlikely we could get Yandle. I think it would be something like I mentioned a couple weeks ago involving Gormley and Hanzal. Not that crazy about the return, but I think they would be reluctant to let go of Yandle, even for O'Reilly. Hope I'm wrong though, he would help this team immensely, especially on the PP.

As good as EJ is, I'm not thinking he can contribute much more than 30-35 points on his own. That said, if he was paired with a guy like Yandle, I think that would help him defensively, and offensively, and they would feed off each other very well. His PP points would go up for sure, passing back and forth to each other on the points.

Old
01-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Flames fan just said he'd offer Giordano + Backlund for Oreilly. I dunno about you guys but I'd jump on that deal. Giordano is a solid #2 Dman who would be great with EJ, and Backlund is a replacement for Oreilly who still has 55-60 point potential.

We could potentially get our Top pairing Dman and still be able to roll 3 offensive lines in that trade.

Closed Thread