HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXXI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 09:53 PM
  #776
Nihiliste
Registered User
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Stopped reading there. Phaneuf is an arrogant caveman.
I know him a bit from growing up in Edmonton around the same time and yeah he's not a great guy but whatever. I see that as a relatively lateral move - overpaid, underachieving players, near identical cap hit, same contract term.

Nihiliste is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 10:18 PM
  #777
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I know him a bit from growing up in Edmonton around the same time and yeah he's not a great guy but whatever. I see that as a relatively lateral move - overpaid, underachieving players, near identical cap hit, same contract term.
Phaneuf is a locker room cancer and divisive presence in the room.

And I'd argue Stastny's offense and defense are better than Phaneuf's.

Av-merican is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 11:36 PM
  #778
Nihiliste
Registered User
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Phaneuf is a locker room cancer and divisive presence in the room.

And I'd argue Stastny's offense and defense are better than Phaneuf's.
I know about some of the things that happened in Calgary but I haven't heard much about the situation in Toronto other than that I thought he had grown up a bit according to reports.

Regardless though, Phaneuf was an example as mentioned in that post of someone I thought was reasonable for us to acquire, the gist of that post was otherwise very simple.

1) Trade a center for a 2/3 dman (depending on the center moved)
2) Draft Barkov/Drouin/Monahan depending where we end up, I'm guessing 3-5
3) Sign a couple of bottom 6ers (I like Nystrom as a 4th liner) since I think Kobasew and Hejduk will be gone next season
4) Offer Smid a big contract if he makes it to FA

Other than Smid and Streit I'm not really interested in the other defenders available this offseason. If we strike out (as is probable) we'll have to make some small trades I guess. I mean we traded Liles for a 2nd, maybe we can get a similar contributor back for a reasonable price as well.

Nihiliste is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 01:02 AM
  #779
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I know about some of the things that happened in Calgary but I haven't heard much about the situation in Toronto other than that I thought he had grown up a bit according to reports.

Regardless though, Phaneuf was an example as mentioned in that post of someone I thought was reasonable for us to acquire, the gist of that post was otherwise very simple.

1) Trade a center for a 2/3 dman (depending on the center moved)
2) Draft Barkov/Drouin/Monahan depending where we end up, I'm guessing 3-5
3) Sign a couple of bottom 6ers (I like Nystrom as a 4th liner) since I think Kobasew and Hejduk will be gone next season
4) Offer Smid a big contract if he makes it to FA

Other than Smid and Streit I'm not really interested in the other defenders available this offseason. If we strike out (as is probable) we'll have to make some small trades I guess. I mean we traded Liles for a 2nd, maybe we can get a similar contributor back for a reasonable price as well.
We traded Liles before all puck moving defender were considered to walk and **** platinum.

I say we trade O'Reilly/Stastny for a Yandle type, stop holding our breath for EJ to break out offensively and accept who he is. Then we absolutely need to sign Bozak as a free-agent to fill out third line center role.

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau

Landeskog - Stastny/O'Reilly - Downie

Mitchell - Bozak - Another UFA than can kill penalties...

McLeod - Olver/Malone - Bordy

Yandle - EJ

Hejda, Wilson, Hunwick, Barrie, SOB

Yeah... I dump Jones, Zannon and ROB for any type of picks I can get. And hopefully in a year or so whichever forward we draft or Sgarbossa can can push Downie down to the third line.

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:29 AM
  #780
PAZ
.
 
PAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,129
vCash: 500
IMO if McGinn doesn't show something this year, I don't like banking on him for our top 6. Wicked shot, tries to make stuff happen out there, but end result is that he isn't super skilled. He'd still be a very good 3rd liner who can fill in, but unless he improves I think we need to find another top 6 player.

I hate so much that we let Mueller go.

PAZ is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 09:41 AM
  #781
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 17,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
IMO if McGinn doesn't show something this year, I don't like banking on him for our top 6. Wicked shot, tries to make stuff happen out there, but end result is that he isn't super skilled. He'd still be a very good 3rd liner who can fill in, but unless he improves I think we need to find another top 6 player.

I hate so much that we let Mueller go.
I dont really understand critizing McGinn. He's about to break his point total record in 48 game season. Hes doing well! Not to mention how many posts his got this year... Unlucky as well.

Colorado Avalanche is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 09:48 AM
  #782
henchman24
If and if...
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 13,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
IMO if McGinn doesn't show something this year, I don't like banking on him for our top 6. Wicked shot, tries to make stuff happen out there, but end result is that he isn't super skilled. He'd still be a very good 3rd liner who can fill in, but unless he improves I think we need to find another top 6 player.

I hate so much that we let Mueller go.
I think McGinn has done pretty well. IMO shown that he can hold his own as a top 6 player. 6 points in 10 games is a ~49-50 point pace over 82 games. That is second line winger territory. He also could have 3-4 more goals easily. McGinn and PAP are the two legit top 6 wingers currently playing. Landeskog is 1st line capable and Downie is a 2nd line capable wing.

I think our forward core is good enough for us to be a 4 or 5 seed on a number of years. We have a ton of injuries and a holdout that make us look worse than we are up front (need to draft some prospect depth). Now I would love to have a pure goal scorer on this team, a guy who we could count on for 35-40 a year, but what is currently there is good enough. The issue is that we have one of the 3 worst defensive cores in the league. EJ is the only guy who can be on a top pairing, then you have Hejda who is a #4 on a good team, Wilson who is a #5 but can sub in the middle pairing without looking lost, and the rest are a bunch of bottom pairing players that should never get more than 16-18 min.

henchman24 is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 12:23 PM
  #783
JoemAvs
Registered User
 
JoemAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,193
vCash: 500
Wow. According to a guy with some insight on the Leafs the Avs have called about Kessel.

He openly is discussing ROR + 1st for Kessel over on there board.

I don't think that he knows what is offered but I would absolutely go insane if we really did offer this.

That move is worse than the original Kessel trade and would kill our franchise.

But Sherman has traded our 1st last year and we know how the Avs respond to contractual struggles.

And Sherman probably feels a lot of heat right now.

Can anyone talk me off the ledge pls?

JoemAvs is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
  #784
henchman24
If and if...
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 13,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Wow. According to a guy with some insight on the Leafs the Avs have called about Kessel.

He openly is discussing ROR + 1st for Kessel over on there board.

I don't think that he knows what is offered but I would absolutely go insane if we really did offer this.

That move is worse than the original Kessel trade and would kill our franchise.

But Sherman has traded our 1st last year and we know how the Avs respond to contractual struggles.

And Sherman probably feels a lot of heat right now.

Can anyone talk me off the ledge pls?
ROR + 1st won't happen for Kessel. I could see ROR +, but that + won't be a first when we are looking at a top 5/10 pick.

henchman24 is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 12:31 PM
  #785
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,181
vCash: 500
I like a Kessel for RoR trade. But not if we have to throw in a first since Kessel is an UFA after next season.

RobinDIF is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 12:32 PM
  #786
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 12,277
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Wow. According to a guy with some insight on the Leafs the Avs have called about Kessel.

Can anyone talk me off the ledge pls?
It would be irresponsible of Sherman not to call about Kessel if he is indeed even slightly available given our team needs.

That does not in anyway mean we will offer the value the Leafs would be looking for.

Just because our team is so secretive does not mean we're not active around the league.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 12:42 PM
  #787
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!
 
RobinDIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
It would be irresponsible of Sherman not to call about Kessel if he is indeed even slightly available given our team needs.

That does not in anyway mean we will offer the value the Leafs would be looking for.

Just because our team is so secretive does not mean we're not active around the league.
True. The Shermanator probably speaks to other teams every single day.

RobinDIF is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 02:43 PM
  #788
Freudian
Classless IMO
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 32,876
vCash: 50
How about O'Byrne + 3rd for Franson.

I'm not the biggest fan of Franson, but he would provide a big upgrade when it comes to moving the puck over O'Byrne.

It's so annoying that we're painted in a corner so we pretty much have to move a defenseman to get a defenseman.

Freudian is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 02:47 PM
  #789
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow
 
The Mars Volchenkov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 40,774
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
If Ottawa is still looking for defensive help, I wonder if the Avs could wiggle O'Byrne (and something else) and get Wiercioch.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 02:50 PM
  #790
BrickAHL
WOATalanche
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,694
vCash: 500
I can't wait until the Trade Deadline. A lot of teams were supposedly looking for help on defense and we have a ton of "solid" "veteran" "defensive" defensemen that we could sell.

BrickAHL is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 02:51 PM
  #791
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
If Ottawa is still looking for defensive help, I wonder if the Avs could wiggle O'Byrne (and something else) and get Wiercioch.
I'd send them O'Byrne for stack of beaver tails. Either real animal ones, or the delicious ones covered in maple syrup.

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 02:58 PM
  #792
BrickAHL
WOATalanche
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,694
vCash: 500
Van der Gulik got sent back today. Is Wilson back? or are we making a move?


BrickAHL is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:00 PM
  #793
Freudian
Classless IMO
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 32,876
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Van der Gulik got sent back today. Is Wilson back? or are we making a move?

Hishon!!!

Freudian is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:04 PM
  #794
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,311
vCash: 500
Avs are anouncing Eric Lacroix's return to 4th line glory.

Would be wonderful if Landy could be back for Monday. Actually that would be more than wonderful.

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:12 PM
  #795
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow
 
The Mars Volchenkov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 40,774
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I'd send them O'Byrne for stack of beaver tails. Either real animal ones, or the delicious ones covered in maple syrup.
Oh I would too, but come deadline time, a big 3rd pairing defenseman with an expiring contract should have value.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:14 PM
  #796
Freudian
Classless IMO
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 32,876
vCash: 50
O'Byrne is fine when paired with a more skilled guy. He did a good job when paired with Liles. The more you ask him to do of puck retrieval and first passes the worse he will look.

I think there are plenty of playoff teams that could use him on a third pairing.

Freudian is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:33 PM
  #797
iceberg
Registered User
 
iceberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Brazil
Posts: 906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
I dont really understand critizing McGinn. He's about to break his point total record in 48 game season. Hes doing well! Not to mention how many posts his got this year... Unlucky as well.
I'm not sold on McGinn as well, but i'm no criticizing him. I just want to see more of him before i call him a legitimate top 6 player.

Right now, IMO, he looks more like a 3rd line grinder that can fill-in well in the top 6, eventually.

Next year, if Sgarbossa shows enough, i would like to see something like this:

Sgarbossa - Duchene - PAP
Landeskog - ROR - Jones
McGinn - Mitchell - Downie
McLeod - Over - Kobasew
Bordy

I would try to trade Stastny for a top 4 Dmen.

iceberg is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:38 PM
  #798
AvsFanRCN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 977
vCash: 4007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Van der Gulik got sent back today. Is Wilson back? or are we making a move?

Think it might have something to do with Woody (Palushaj)?

AvsFanRCN is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:44 PM
  #799
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Van der Gulik got sent back today. Is Wilson back? or are we making a move?

My guess is one of 3 things:

1) Palushaj claim allowed VDG to be sent back down.
2) Wilson or Landy will be back for our next game
3) Somethings up.

Highly highly highly doubt its number 3, and expect it to be #1.


BUT then again, Lots of rumors swirling today with Oreilly involved, and many of us did agree that this 5 day break could be when we see management make a move if they feel its necessary. The season is still really young and were by no means out of anything yet. Maybe now's the time we make our move and start playing playoff race hockey from here on out.



I mean after all, Ecklund has an Oreilly/MTL(E4) on his page right now.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:48 PM
  #800
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel
 
Bordeleau Of Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I mean after all, Ecklund has an Oreilly/MTL(E4) on his page right now.
Sweet, that means he'll be in the Avs lineup shortly.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.