HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Lundface

vCash: 50
Lombardi was traded for a conditional 4th
Connolly had zero or negative value and was just waived

add a low pick/prospect and you have Toronto fans offer

Old
01-17-2013, 12:16 PM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Way too much is being inferred from the Connolly waiving. I don't think Luongo will be a Leaf in the next few days, but I sure as hell don't think waiving Connolly has anything to do with that.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:18 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Not 100% out but one of the key pieces for Vancouver is likely a center to fill in for Kesler. I suppose they could try to get one elsewhere.
Or the leafs look to get a centre man elsewhere and trade bozak.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:19 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
Or the leafs look to get a centre man elsewhere and trade bozak.
True. All possibilities. I would say that the only thing we can say for sure is that the Leafs are going to go with Kadri this year and give him his shot. It's tough to argue with that strategy.
I could see the Canucks running with Luongo until the trade deadline although the best scenario would see a trade after 10 or 15 games. I think that we'll start to see more movement as all teams have been pretty quiet on the trade front.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:20 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Way too much is being inferred from the Connolly waiving. I don't think Luongo will be a Leaf in the next few days, but I sure as hell don't think waiving Connolly has anything to do with that.
We are inferring that now they lost 3 C (Connolly, Lombardi and Aucoin) they don't have enough C depth to trade with Van. Unless there is a 3 team trade involved, they do have D depth.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:20 PM
BlueChip01

Quote:
WHy don't you look at it logically and see if you can figure it out.
Also, we've had Schneider threads before innundated with Leaf fans telling us he is unproven and not worth much. You guys are not in a great position to mock Vancouver's goaltending.
I would go all out and trade Schneider. Luongo is a good goalie. They will get a much better return with Schneider. Go win a cup. They have maybe 2 years max to do so as the Sedins are already declining. This is not Detroit anymore where they have a Zetterberg and Datsyuk ready to take Yzermans and Co's spot.

Van did a very nice Detroit model job by transitioning the Sedins in after Naslund and Bert. Very luck that they have not experienced any mediocrity for all of this time. I don't see 1-2 superstars coming down the pipe though.

Luongo has a good 5 years left. Get the better return, run with him, win a cup, and then go rebuild. How was the guy going to win them a cup when they scored 8 goals in 7 games?

Just my 2 cents.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:21 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
True. All possibilities. I would say that the only thing we can say for sure is that the Leafs are going to go with Kadri this year and give him his shot. It's tough to argue with that strategy.
Because he's had a very good start to the camp and the two moves Toronto made he's a lock to start.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:22 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Amazing eh. Soon it will be a race to the bottom instead of the cup.

Too bad these suckers dont realize it takes more that the draft to win.
I think one of the big reasons Burke got fired was because his "accelerated" rebuild was a giant bust. They started their rebuild roughly around the same time Edmonton did and now look at the two of them.. If you made a media guy vote who he thinks is going to be a better team in the next 3-5 years I am thinking they are going to say Edmonton 9 times out of 10..

Old
01-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Co Ho*

As the season nears, Leaf fans seem to be getting more and more hostile in this thread. Looks like many of you guys aren't so content with your current goaltender tandem, and if you are, and don't want Luongo, why keep posting here?

Old
01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
As the season nears, Leaf fans seem to be getting more and more hostile in this thread. Looks like many of you guys aren't so content with your current goaltender tandem, and if you are, and don't want Luongo, why keep posting here?
I want luongo

Old
01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
blankall

Quote:
I disagree. Noone knows what management is actually thinkgin. However, waiving Connolly and Lombardi puts a lot of Toronto's cards on the table. It is now obvious that Toronto is not trying to compete this year. They are going to be relying on their young players, instead of trading them. Their lineup is not the greatest. They are clearly goign to use this shortened season to go for a high draft pick. It's easier to sell a half season of garbage to fans, than a whole one.

My guess is that Toronto goes for the high draft pick this year and then hits the FA market next off season.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:27 PM
rune74

So if it is Kahdri and 1st what else goes with him?

Old
01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I never said straight-up, but the concept isn't terribly difficult. If Gardiner goes to the Canucks, Kesler better be coming back.

You will not get a 22-year-old all-rookie defenseman for a 33-year-old goalie with 10 years left on his contract.
You don't get a selke winning centreman for a largely unproven rookie. Gardiner would be an ok starting piece, but you would need to add something significant. Luongo's value is closer to Gardiner's than Gardener's is to Kesler's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
It's laughable, but yet there is Luongo still in Vancouver. Prices are just too high, it's gotta change or your stuck with him.
I agree that the price was too high, but we disagree on what that price was. If you want to believe that Toronto wasn't willing to give up Kadri for Luongo than that's your opinion I guess

Old
01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
They want him, no doubt about that, but at a steal of a price.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:30 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
It's laughable, but yet there is Luongo still in Vancouver. Prices are just too high, it's gotta change or your stuck with him.
I wouldn't consider being "stuck" with a top 5 goalie to give our team two great goalies as something that's all that bad to be honest. It's better than having no goalies, and trust me when I say Vancouver fans are used to THAT scenario. This is a nice change for us.

01-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
So if it is Kahdri and 1st what else goes with him?
LOL. Gee, what else would you like....how about Gardiner...Reilly, we'll even kick in a Kessel.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

lmao "stuck" with the best 1-2 goaltending combo in the NHL.

While the leafs, go with scrivens and reimer, the worst goaltending combo in the NHL.

Old
Stephen23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKassian9 View Post
After the season starts, do you really think that all 29 other teams will be satisfied with their goaltending. I am willing to bet that a few teams will be desperate and so is Gillis, most important position on the ice. Can't compete with mediocre goaltending, as TO proves year after year.
To take on Luongo with his contract is a massive commitment. A team wont over react to a bad start by their goaltending duo by just taking on Luongo and his contract. Most teams already have their established starting goaltender. There are not a lot of clear options for Vancouver. But having said that, I am sure some teams will have a large internal debate of the pros and cons of taking Luongo (with his contract & age in consideration).

The only options I see are Florida: (I have my doubts due to Markstrom almost ready and being able to afford Luongo's contract. Although if Vancouver is willing to take some of his salary, I could see Florida more inclined to make the deal).

Edmonton: I doubt Vancouver wants to trade him within their division and have that burn them. Especially when it appears Edmonton is on the upswing and could soon be contending for the lead in their division. Edmonton makes a lot of sense to me, but it's not ideal for Vancouver.

Toronto: Makes the most sense due to the serious lack of quality goaltenders coming up in the leafs pipeline. And add the fact that they could take on his salary. The Leafs are not ready to challenge for the cup now and I do not see them trading away quality youth. And frankly, I don't think they need to. Toronto has no pressure on them to make this deal and I doubt they are "eager" to add that contract. Toronto could simply use this season as a test to see what they have in Reimer and Scrivens, and should the season not play out in their favour, they could look to Luongo next season. When frankly, The Canucks would be more desperate to get rid of his contract when the cap goes down/have a full 82 game schedule of Schneider looking over his shoulder/distractions and unhappy expensive back up Luongo.

That's how I personally view the situation from the teams involved. I understand Vancouver wants to get value for a great goaltender, but their hands are tied with the contract he has. If he had 2 years remaining, there would be a bidding war going on. But Vancouver is in the pressure situation, not the rest of the league. So I seriously doubt Vancouver will get anything close to what they are asking for. Simply because the desire to take on Luongo with his contract at his age and the number of teams who need a starting goaltender is just not there.

Sorry if I offended, no intention. Just trying to state it how I see it.

Old
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I wouldn't consider being "stuck" with a top 5 goalie to give our team two great goalies as something that's all that bad to be honest. It's better than having no goalies, and trust me when I say Vancouver fans are used to THAT scenario. This is a nice change for us.
in a shortened season, having both goalies could be quite bennificial with a lot of back-to-backs and such

Old
01-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
I looked at cap geek . Leafs did not need to move this salary , not even for trade deadline room. I think its their intent to roll with their youngsters .

If they end up tanking, they will have enough cap space to sweeten the deal for Lupul to re sign, thus keeping Kessel happy so he wont take off in 2014.

They have several RFAs in the offseason but Connolly didnt effect the space needed for them.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
LOL. Gee, what else would you like....how about Gardiner...Reilly, we'll even kick in a Kessel.
Well gardiner and a first would work too I think....

Old
01-17-2013, 12:37 PM
93gilmour93

Quote:
I'm sure it would

Old
01-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
To take on Luongo with his contract is a massive commitment. A team wont over react to a bad start by their goaltending duo by just taking on Luongo and his contract. Most teams already have their established starting goaltender. There are not a lot of clear options for Vancouver. But having said that, I am sure some teams will have a large internal debate of the pros and cons of taking Luongo (with his contract & age in consideration).

The only options I see are Florida: (I have my doubts due to Markstrom almost ready and being able to afford Luongo's contract. Although if Vancouver is willing to take some of his salary, I could see Florida more inclined to make the deal).

Edmonton: I doubt Vancouver wants to trade him within their division and have that burn them. Especially when it appears Edmonton is on the upswing and could soon be contending for the lead in their division. Edmonton makes a lot of sense to me, but it's not ideal for Vancouver.

Toronto: Makes the most sense due to the serious lack of quality goaltenders coming up in the leafs pipeline. And add the fact that they could take on his salary. The Leafs are not ready to challenge for the cup now and I do not see them trading away quality youth. And frankly, I don't think they need to. Toronto has no pressure on them to make this deal and I doubt they are "eager" to add that contract. Toronto could simply use this season as a test to see what they have in Reimer and Scrivens, and should the season not play out in their favour, they could look to Luongo next season. When frankly, The Canucks would be more desperate to get rid of his contract when the cap goes down/have a full 82 game schedule of Schneider looking over his shoulder/distractions and unhappy expensive back up Luongo.

That's how I personally view the situation from the teams involved. I understand Vancouver wants to get value for a great goaltender, but their hands are tied with the contract he has. If he had 2 years remaining, there would be a bidding war going on. But Vancouver is in the pressure situation, not the rest of the league. So I seriously doubt Vancouver will get anything close to what they are asking for. Simply because the desire to take on Luongo with his contract at his age and the number of teams who need a starting goaltender is just not there.

Sorry if I offended, no intention. Just trying to state it how I see it.
No offense taken. Its just the bitter truth we Canuck fans have to face.

Luongo is a great goalie and proabably will be a good goalie for 3 more years at least. However, Gillis signed him to the massive contract that is a real problem.

We canuck fans think we should get value for Luongo and we are right. We SHOULD get value for him.

But we HAVENT and we WONT. We would have long ago if it was going to happen. Nobody wants to pay for Luongos current talent. They dont think he is going to make enough difference to warrant the assets given up and the buyout later on.

And I say we get what we can and let him go. Move on and RUN away from that contract that we can never sign again (thank god)

Old
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
So...lets see if i have this. New GM says "we will get younger and play young players". He then Trades an older Lombardi for a pick. Waives and older Connolly opening a spot for a younger player.

His next move, Trade 1 of your best YOUNG pieces, a 1st and another YOUNG piece for an OLDER player.....makes perfect sense.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
No offense taken. Its just the bitter truth we Canuck fans have to face.

Luongo is a great goalie and proabably will be a good goalie for 3 more years at least. However, Gillis signed him to the massive contract that is a real problem.

We canuck fans think we should get value for Luongo and we are right. We SHOULD get value for him.

But we HAVENT and we WONT. We would have long ago if it was going to happen. Nobody wants to pay for Luongos current talent. They dont think he is going to make enough difference to warrant the assets given up and the buyout later on.

And I say we get what we can and let him go. Move on and RUN away from that contract that we can never sign again (thank god)
This should be the cut,copy and paste quote for this entire thread.

Closed Thread