HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 12:43 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I wouldn't consider being "stuck" with a top 5 goalie to give our team two great goalies as something that's all that bad to be honest. It's better than having no goalies, and trust me when I say Vancouver fans are used to THAT scenario. This is a nice change for us.
Hasn't Luongo said he'll stick it out this year but doesn't want to be there long term? To me that sounds like a timeline. He's been very professional about this, I think if I'm Gillis if the prices aren't to my liking by next summer then you have to accept whatever you get offered and do whats right and move a classy individual who has helped bring you to a Cup Final. But that's just my opinion

Old
01-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I think one of the big reasons Burke got fired was because his "accelerated" rebuild was a giant bust. They started their rebuild roughly around the same time Edmonton did and now look at the two of them.. If you made a media guy vote who he thinks is going to be a better team in the next 3-5 years I am thinking they are going to say Edmonton 9 times out of 10..
Who knows.

And who cares what a bunch of media guys think. Call when edmonton starts winning. When edmonton does something more than be a "prospective threat".

Old
01-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
Lombardi was traded for a conditional 4th
Connolly had zero or negative value and was just waived

add a low pick/prospect and you have Toronto fans offer
Which why ive said waiting wont matter.

When youre offered garbage doesnt matter if its served now or six months from now.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:54 PM

vCash: 50
To TML: Luongo + Ballard
To VAN: 1st + Kadri + Biggs/Finn + Komisarek

Old
01-17-2013, 12:55 PM
ddawg1950

Well, first off, what else is Tambo going to say?

"Ah yeah, we are really uncertain about our goaltendingthis year...but ahh, Devan's our guy for now."

Confidence absolutely must be expressed in your goaltending.

And I have been saying this for a while. Edmonton is going to be a lot better this year and barring injuries, I cold see them making the playoffs.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
As the season nears, Leaf fans seem to be getting more and more hostile in this thread. Looks like many of you guys aren't so content with your current goaltender tandem, and if you are, and don't want Luongo, why keep posting here?
Because it's an interesting situation?

Old
01-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Caustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
So...lets see if i have this. New GM says "we will get younger and play young players". He then Trades an older Lombardi for a pick. Waives and older Connolly opening a spot for a younger player.

His next move, Trade 1 of your best YOUNG pieces, a 1st and another YOUNG piece for an OLDER player.....makes perfect sense.
There is no way that the Canucks get Gardiner. I don't even know why people insist on mentioning it.

Not only is he one of the up and coming young players Nonis has said he would not trade, but he's also a defenseman... something Toronto needs to bolster with their NHL club. Finally, Vancouver's defense is already solid. Unless we wanted Gardiner for next year if we can't resign Edler, or unless they're planning on buying out Ballard (a possibility) we wouldn't need him.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Only if its top 10 protected/conditional on Leafs making the playoffs.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
No thank you.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:01 PM
blankall

Quote:
Does the Connolly waiving not show you how little an underachieving player with a relatively high cap hit is worth now?

Stop including Ballard in trades.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
No thank you.
Look at this guy! Saying "Thank You".

"Would you like a steaming pile of crap for breakfast?"
"No, thank you".

So nice, wish more fans were like you haha.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Ballard has looked pretty darn good in training camp, don't want to move him right now.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Old
01-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Nash

I never thought Luongo would end up in Toronto, but getting rid of Lombardi, Connolly and Aucoin has zero bearing on the situation. They were never part of any package Gillis would have been interested in, aside from some trolling Leaf fans' wildest dreams. Also, I don't believe Bozak has ever been a target for Gillis. He likes Sedin & Kesler and is very happy with Malholtra and Lapierre. I think Manny will have a bit of a comeback season since he has gotten used to his vision and actually was able to train this year. You don't trade for a redundant asset in Bozak as a filler replacement for injury. It's bad asset management and not Gillis' style. Prospects and picks are still available for trade, including the vaunted Gardiner or Kadri. Subtracting one rookie or sophomore aren't going to suddenly kill a team. However, as I said, I never saw him going to Toronto.

Every single team will have wanted to evaluate their roster and prospects through camp before moving someone. They were all set to play in September, so this additional training camp week changes nothing. Luongo could be gone in a month, at the trade deadline or in the offseason. I'm quite happy to keep him for the season. Goaltending won us the PT last year more than the rest of the roster.

Good for Toronto to sweep away bad signings and trades. I'm sure if their was better depth available, Komisarek would have been a possible buyout candidate too, but he can still be useful this year in a third pairing. Losing LAC are additions by subtraction. The Leafs will likely be a better team this year with them gone. JVR, Frattin and Kadri will easily replace what those three wastes of roster and cap space brought. The Leafs would be in more of a Tank Nation mode if they had kept them.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:04 PM
HOCKEYGOON

Leafs are out of the Luongo Sweepstakes IMO

Nonis is making a clear direction toward going with the young players and acquiring draft picks.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Co Ho*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Because it's an interesting situation?
Fair enough, but don't tell us what he's worth or make awful proposals if you apparently have no interest in him (not directing this post at you, but to the fans that have done this).

Old
01-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
To take on Luongo with his contract is a massive commitment. A team wont over react to a bad start by their goaltending duo by just taking on Luongo and his contract. Most teams already have their established starting goaltender. There are not a lot of clear options for Vancouver. But having said that, I am sure some teams will have a large internal debate of the pros and cons of taking Luongo (with his contract & age in consideration).

The only options I see are Florida: (I have my doubts due to Markstrom almost ready and being able to afford Luongo's contract. Although if Vancouver is willing to take some of his salary, I could see Florida more inclined to make the deal).

Edmonton: I doubt Vancouver wants to trade him within their division and have that burn them. Especially when it appears Edmonton is on the upswing and could soon be contending for the lead in their division. Edmonton makes a lot of sense to me, but it's not ideal for Vancouver.

Toronto: Makes the most sense due to the serious lack of quality goaltenders coming up in the leafs pipeline. And add the fact that they could take on his salary. The Leafs are not ready to challenge for the cup now and I do not see them trading away quality youth. And frankly, I don't think they need to. Toronto has no pressure on them to make this deal and I doubt they are "eager" to add that contract. Toronto could simply use this season as a test to see what they have in Reimer and Scrivens, and should the season not play out in their favour, they could look to Luongo next season. When frankly, The Canucks would be more desperate to get rid of his contract when the cap goes down/have a full 82 game schedule of Schneider looking over his shoulder/distractions and unhappy expensive back up Luongo.

That's how I personally view the situation from the teams involved. I understand Vancouver wants to get value for a great goaltender, but their hands are tied with the contract he has. If he had 2 years remaining, there would be a bidding war going on. But Vancouver is in the pressure situation, not the rest of the league. So I seriously doubt Vancouver will get anything close to what they are asking for. Simply because the desire to take on Luongo with his contract at his age and the number of teams who need a starting goaltender is just not there.

Sorry if I offended, no intention. Just trying to state it how I see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
No offense taken. Its just the bitter truth we Canuck fans have to face.

Luongo is a great goalie and proabably will be a good goalie for 3 more years at least. However, Gillis signed him to the massive contract that is a real problem.

We canuck fans think we should get value for Luongo and we are right. We SHOULD get value for him.

But we HAVENT and we WONT. We would have long ago if it was going to happen. Nobody wants to pay for Luongos current talent. They dont think he is going to make enough difference to warrant the assets given up and the buyout later on.

And I say we get what we can and let him go. Move on and RUN away from that contract that we can never sign again (thank god)
Nice posts guys, I think this is spot on. Now that the preseason has almost finished playing out, this situation is becoming clear.

If Luongo had a market, it would have been done by now. I'm sure Gillis would have preferred to have a clear #1 all season long with no distractions but that isn't going to happen now.

At least he'll have a good tandem for one more year, I'm skeptical that it'll play out well though.

Funny but more now than ever, I feel that we haven't heard the last of Luongo in Vancouver. If he outplays Schneider early, what then?

Old
01-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Fair enough, but don't tell us what he's worth or make awful proposals if you apparently have no interest in him (not directing this post at you, but to the fans that have done this).
In all fairness...nobody knows what he is worth.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:07 PM
KeninsFan
"Unintentional" Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEYGOON View Post

Nonis is making a clear direction toward going with the young players and acquiring draft picks.
Nonis is finally making the moves Burke should've made years ago.

Trade away the vets that make the team mediocre and give those roster spots to promising youth (Kadri). The Leafs are going to get a very nice pick at the end of this year and some great experience for their youth.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:07 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Hasn't Luongo said he'll stick it out this year but doesn't want to be there long term? To me that sounds like a timeline. He's been very professional about this, I think if I'm Gillis if the prices aren't to my liking by next summer then you have to accept whatever you get offered and do whats right and move a classy individual who has helped bring you to a Cup Final. But that's just my opinion
No, actually, Luongo has never said that he doesn't want to be here long-term.

01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
I know the worth discussion gets everyone riled up. I think others have said it best, Luongo is an elite player whom is worth an elite player's return.

Luongo's contract negates that worth so here we are today. We'll see what happens.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:

Quite a testament to the futility of the Burke era eh. If Burke had gone to full-rebuild mode in 2008 the Leafs could probably have accumulated 10 or so top-five picks or equivalent prospects. Now the Leafs may be too good to tank but too bad to make the playoffs...

Old
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I know the worth discussion gets everyone riled up. I think others have said it best, Luongo is an elite player whom is worth an elite player's return.

Luongo's contract negates that worth so here we are today. We'll see what happens.
No it doesn't.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
No it doesn't.
Then why is he still a Canuck?

Old
01-17-2013, 01:11 PM
HOCKEYGOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Quite a testament to the futility of the Burke era eh. If Burke had gone to full-rebuild mode in 2005 the Leafs could probably have accumulated 10 or so top-five picks or equivalent prospects. Now the Leafs may be too good to tank but too bad to make the playoffs...
2005???

Burkey didn't join the Leafs until 08', but yes... he squandered a great chance to rebuild through the draft.

Edit: Saw the correction

Old
01-17-2013, 01:12 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
2005???

Burkey didn't join the Leafs until 08', but yes... he squandered a great chance to rebuild through the draft.
Yes, I already changed the year.

Closed Thread