HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 01:14 PM
frankthetank91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Quite a testament to the futility of the Burke era eh. If Burke had gone to full-rebuild mode in 2008 the Leafs could probably have accumulated 10 or so top-five picks or equivalent prospects. Now the Leafs may be too good to tank but too bad to make the playoffs...
Considering Burke got here in 2008 and his first draft was 2009, I doubt it.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:22 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Then why is he still a Canuck?
because nobody has matched Gillis' high expectations and more importantly (I heard this in another thread and it kind of stuck with me). All goalies have the same # of wins, same save %, and all teams are essentially in first place. Once people see how this season goes, we may not see much interest for Luongo and might be forced to sell him for less than we want, or a goalie that was supposed to preform this year falters and someone becomes desprate. I am willing to take a chance on waiting because obviously there are no substantial offers on the table, and keeping Luongo for a run this year is worth risking a worse return later.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Quite a testament to the futility of the Burke era eh. If Burke had gone to full-rebuild mode in 2008 the Leafs could probably have accumulated 10 or so top-five picks or equivalent prospects. Now the Leafs may be too good to tank but too bad to make the playoffs...
The notion that they will be a top 5 lottery team is odd to me. They had a monumental collapse last year, but prior to that, they were playoff bound and they still were only fifth last. Axing LAC and inserting JVR, Kadri and Frattin into the lineup improves them. Kulemin should get back to 20 goals, prorated. Gardiner and Gunnarson have more experience now. Reimer is the biggest question mark. I could see Scrivens take over through the season, but they will split the season heavily, as will most teams' goalies with this compressed schedule. All it would have taken was 6 more wins last year to make the playoffs.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Pure leaf fans, Question: If scrivens and reimer **** the bed to start the season (Let's say 3-7), Would you guys FINALLY give up something for luongo?, While there is hope still that the playoffs can be made. Curious

Old
01-17-2013, 01:34 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Pure leaf fans, Question: If scrivens and reimer **** the bed to start the season (Let's say 3-7), Would you guys FINALLY give up something for luongo?, While there is hope still that the playoffs can be made. Curious
No. Price is too high.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
If by something you mean Gardiner/Reilly or our 1st...nope. Furthermore, if 20% of the season is gone and we have 6 points....no sense.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
No. Price is too high.
seth jones seth jones... SETH JONES!! SETH JONES! SETH JONES! SETH JONES! SETH JONES!

New leaf chant

Old
01-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
seth jones seth jones... SETH JONES!! SETH JONES! SETH JONES! SETH JONES! SETH JONES!

New leaf chant
LOL...they don't want to sell the farm for our goalie so they must WANT TO LOSE!!!!

OR...maybe we just don't want to sell the farm for your 33 year old goalie.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
rune74

Well Khadri a 1st and what? Komsierik isn't needed. Hmmm I'm not sure.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
LOL...they don't want to sell the farm for our goalie so they must WANT TO LOSE!!!!

OR...maybe we just don't want to sell the farm for your 33 year old goalie.
Nah, if I bombed like the OP said I would just bomb for Mackinnon or Jones tbh.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
I think we are looking at a rebuilding year playing youth so Luongo is not making much sense for us right now. He would make more sense next year if he is still available.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Wizeman*

Luongo is not getting traded because Gillis refuses to admit what his actual worth to another team really is.

If he did, we would have traded him for another aging star player with a big contract. Thats what he is worth.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:43 PM
G51 K81*

Still believe that Gillis is in the worst bargaining position possible. Even the Canucks fans sound so desperate in their posts. They get sooooo defensive when anyone denies a Luongo deal makes any sense for the Leafs.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Sonny21
Registerd User

Quote:
It's a win win really. If we win great, if not then this is the year to tank for top 5 pick.

Who knows how ownership/management will feel but as a fan how could you be mad about adding another blue chip prospect? Again the idea would be to win but definitely it wouldn't make or I should say SHOULDN'T make us give our young core away for soon to be 34 year old.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Still believe that Gillis is in the worst bargaining position possible. Even the Canucks fans sound so desperate in their posts. They get sooooo defensive when anyone denies a Luongo deal makes any sense for the Leafs.
Maybe because it has to make sense for both sides?

Old
01-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Luongo does make sense for the leafs. TOTAL sense.

Luongo make sense for a many teams.

Gillis' asking price makes NO SENSE to the Leafs.

Gillis' asking price makes NO SENSE to any team so far and wont anytime soon either.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:47 PM
rune74

I thinkn vancouver is in a great position to all star goalies and a short season....it would suck to be rebuilding almost for 45 years.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:47 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Absolutely. A team with two great goalies is always in a worse position than a team with amongst the worst goaltending in the league. Makes me long for the Dan Cloutier days when we too were in a string bargaining position like the Leafs.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Skead

Darren Dreger on Team1040

Q: Do you see Toronto pulling off a deal with the Canucks for Luongo? They don't seem to have any forwards to spare.

A: I believe that's the asking price or at least a portion of it, Kadri / Bozak / 2nd, and can Toronto afford to pay that? No. I believe Toronto is hoping that it gets to a point where it gets uncomfortable for Luongo and he starts applying pressure on management to trade him, I don't think that's likely going to happen.

When you're playing this game of Poker that's what you're hoping for. Do I believe there are more teams in the mix other than the Toronto Maple Leafs? Yes. I also believe Mike when he says there are as many as 5 teams interested. I don't believe there is a team that is more interested than the Leafs.

At some point either talks are going to break down because Reimer / Scrivens are playing well enough or Mike Gillis and the Vancouver Canucks NEED Roberto Luongo, when you have only a 48 game season you can't afford a slip. That's why Mike Gillis is going to wait and protect until an offer makes sense.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
It's a win win really. If we win great, if not then this is the year to tank for top 5 pick.

Who knows how ownership/management will feel but as a fan how could you be mad about adding another blue chip prospect? Again the idea would be to win but definitely it wouldn't make or I should say SHOULDN'T make us give our young core away for soon to be 34 year old.
There is very little realistic chance of winning with Scrivens/Reimer.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:50 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Maybe because it has to make sense for both sides?
For the price Gillis is asking, not 1 Leaf fan on this board have I seen say they would give up Gardiner, Rielly or a 1st. It's irrational at this point to even debate a trade involving any of those players. It's not even a bargaining tool, it's just idiotic. To me Gillis sounds like he is going to stand pat if the Leafs don't trade one of them, which I think will never happen, hence Luongo will never be a Leaf.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:52 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

No deal with the Leafs. Why is everybody on here trying to convince these fans that they need Luongo? Who gives a ***** if they flop and miss the PO's again. Do we really even want Gardiner? The guy is a walking concussion. Kadri and Bozak are disgustingly average.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:52 PM
G51 K81*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Luongo does make sense for the leafs. TOTAL sense.

Luongo make sense for a many teams.

Gillis' asking price makes NO SENSE to the Leafs.

Gillis' asking price makes NO SENSE to any team so far and wont anytime soon either.
Yeah I was pretty vague, I agree with this though.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Djp

I posted this on the philly/van proposal thread but I think it also fits in here...

If Bryz isnis a failure this season...I could see a trade made where:

Philly: Luongo

Vanc: Bryz, $$$, plus picks young players

I dont know the difference between the contracts to both players I think Bryz>Luongo....but the deal is worked out where the goalie contracts are the same dollars by giving the one side cash.

For this Vancouver gets maybe a 3rd and a young second level player.

I know Vancouver would want to make a trade where Lu is entirely off their books. That may bot happen because they may be looking at the value of the player too much and not the contract he has.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:53 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
You must exercise your imagination more. Surely there must be a scenario where Gillis would be in a worse bargaining position.

Closed Thread