HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

[PHX/TOR] Matthew Lombardi for conditional 2014 4th round pick

Old
01-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Jax Teller

vCash: 500
Camp lines were like this last time I checked.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kulemin
MacArthur - Connolly - Lombardi
Komarov - McClement - Frattin
Brown - Steckel - Kadri/Orr

All Carlyle has to do is put Kadri where Lombardi was and send Orr down to make this work. If not move Frattin up, Brown in and down goes Kadri.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Vip
In the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Conner, Lombardi, Vermette - Maloney must be trying to assemble the fastest team in the universe.
Korpikoski and Boedker are extremely fast as well.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:23 PM
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
What could Nonis be freeing cap space for?
A run at Mackinnon/Jones. If Nonis planning on a rebuilding year

* free up spots for guys like Frattin and Kadri, evaluate them

* get useful assets for overpriced guys with negative value by retaining cap on one years deal (rebuilding it doesn't matter)

* hopefully get a better pick. No guarantee though since the kids could exceed expectations but the odds are in your favour.

Last edited by me2: 01-16-2013 at 11:37 PM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:35 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Watch him have a 20 goal season now. For real thougj doesn't matter absolutely no room for him here completely redundant.

Good luck though never had a problem with him.
Watch him go all Lee Stempniak. What was it? 14 goals in 18 games after being traded from the leafs?

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:36 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Very happy to have him back in the fold. It was just a couple of years ago that we Coyotes fans were utterly devastated to lose our defacto number one C and defacto number one D in the same offseason. Now we've got both Michalek and Lombardi back in diminished roles, as a testament to our improved depth and talent level. Hopefully both can return to form. If so, this is going to be a very strong, very deep, very cohesive group.

This squad looks a lot like a boa constrictor.
not sure how happy you will be don't think you understand how so VERY bad he was. good luck to him

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:37 PM
noway

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Watch him go all Lee Stempniak. What was it? 14 goals in 18 games after being traded from the leafs?
Well that's no one's fault but Burke's for employing a coach (Wilson) that devalues his players.

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
not sure how happy you will be don't think you understand how so VERY bad he was. good luck to him
You mean like Stempniak?

Maloney and Tippett know how to use these guys. Leafs brass do not. Plus he had a very long offseason to recover further.

He will put up 40 points while constantly challenging opposing lines with his speed.

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Conner, Lombardi, Vermette - Maloney must be trying to assemble the fastest team in the universe.
Of course he is. Speed is the #1 way to put together a competitive team on a budget. All the skill and physicality (highest paying traits) in the world won't help you if you can't catch or get away from the other team.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:50 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
You mean like Stempniak?

Maloney and Tippett know how to use these guys. Leafs brass do not. Plus he had a very long offseason to recover further.

He will put up 40 points while constantly challenging opposing lines with his speed.
he's going to put up 40 points in 48 games? highly doubt that

Old
01-16-2013, 11:50 PM
wynne

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
Camp lines were like this last time I checked.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
MacArthur - Connolly - Lombardi
Komarov - McClement - Frattin
Brown - Steckel - Kadri/Orr

All Carlyle has to do is put Kadri where Lombardi was and send Orr down to make this work. If not move Frattin up, Brown in and down goes Kadri.
Apparently a line of Komarov - Grabovski - Kulemin looked pretty good.

If JVR is a no go, maybe this?

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Komarov - Grabovski - Kulemin
MacArthur - Connolly - Kadri
Frattin - McClement - Brown

Then when or if JVR is good, Connolly or Kadri sit, Komarov drops, JVR slots in 2nd line LW.

wynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:52 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Of course he is. Speed is the #1 way to put together a competitive team on a budget. All the skill and physicality (highest paying traits) in the world won't help you if you can't catch or get away from the other team.
Leafs have had speed to burn the last few years it hasn't helped

Old
01-16-2013, 11:54 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynne View Post
Apparently a line of Komarov - Grabovski - Kulemin looked pretty good.

If JVR is a no go, maybe this?

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Komarov - Grabovski - Kulemin
Frattin - McClement - Brown

Then when or if JVR is good, Connolly or Kadri sit, Komarov drops, JVR slots in 2nd line LW.
JVR expects to go according to sportsnet

Old
01-17-2013, 12:01 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Why would I care how bad he was playing for the Leafs last season? That's like Jets fans being terribly concerned because Evander Kane sucked in the KHL. Last season was a conditioning stint. A rehab assignment. Now he's returned home, to the site of his greatest success, refreshed and ready to pick up where he left off before this ugly chapter began as a UFA.

01-17-2013, 12:03 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Leafs have had speed to burn the last few years it hasn't helped
Well it helps when the coach knows how to use it. And having 3 really fast players on the same line, or at least 2 really fast ones and a fast bruiser type is the key to getting the power up.

Speed is important for challenging opposing teams in terms of engaging them physically. It's extremely advantageous since fast players can press slower opposition before it gets set, which can quickly grow into a total breakdown. When used properly speed and also allow you to get away with sloppy neutral zone game by winning icing races/pressing the puck on dump ins, tiring out the opposition. And allowing your guys sloppy breakouts/sloppy neutral zone play can get the puck moving a second faster, which further presses the advantage. I said speed, I should have said defensive speed. Look at the Canadiens the year they went to the ECF. That season was a model of using defensive speed to get more out of your team than you have the right to. Tippett uses these little tricks over and over to exponential advantage. Like how Red Wings use moving picks to gain an exponential defensive advantage over time. I haven't seen the leafs do much of it under Wilson. Carlyle also strikes me as a guy who doesn't know how to use team speed, as he's pretty much coached a slow bruising team throughout his career. Leafs have had Kessel or Grabovski speed through the neutral zone with the puck but that alone is not enough. Willingness to play the body at all time at high speed is key. For that all three players need to be committed, otherwise the mindset doesn't carry over. Gionta, Carter and Bernier have as much skill combined as MacArthur has in one pinkie, yet they were fast guys (2 fast guys and a dedicated physical hitter with good speed) who followed this simple principle and as a result were far more effective than they had a right to be. Which is why I believe Kessel is not a player the leafs should keep if they can get a good return for him that helps build the identity of the most cost-effective winning team, but that's another story/controversial rant. Lombardi is also much better at engaging physically at center than at wing, where he is practically useless (not hitting but going fast to the endboards with the intention of playing the puck before taking a hit). I can see it, Leafs management should be able to as well. Torres (great guy to get back for Lombardi)-McClemment-Brown would have been such a line, or Kulemin-Grabovski-Winnik (if they got him).

Forgot you have Komarov. He should be great with McClemment and Brown. Just keep Steckel out of the lineup.

Last edited by Halpysback*: 01-17-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old
01-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Dark Knight
Let's go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Why would I care how bad he was playing for the Leafs last season? That's like Jets fans being terribly concerned because Evander Kane sucked in the KHL. Last season was a conditioning stint. A rehab assignment. Now he's returned home, to the site of his greatest success, refreshed and ready to pick up where he left off before this ugly chapter began as a UFA.
You're absolutely right. I'm an extremely close observer of the Leafs. I saw all Leafs games last season and kept a close eye on Lombardi. He did struggle out of the gate but his skating was back where it was during the Calgary days until he got hurt in the same game (against Nashville, I believe) where he was literally flying. I remember the commentators commenting on how fast Lombardi was at the game and he ended getting hurt not long after.

It's too bad. I think he's a good gamble for you guys. I wish him luck.

01-17-2013, 12:23 AM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
You're absolutely right. I'm an extremely close observer of the Leafs. I saw all Leafs games last season and kept a close eye on Lombardi. He did struggle out of the gate but his skating was back where it was during the Calgary days until he got hurt in the same game (against Nashville, I believe) where he was literally flying. I remember the commentators commenting on how fast Lombardi was at the game and he ended getting hurt not long after.

It's too bad. I think he's a good gamble for you guys. I wish him luck.
Word from Maloney's presser was that it wasn't a concussion but a neck issue. And that he was healthy enough to go to Toronto's camp, but hadn't been training up until that point due to recovery. So he was out of shape and it's hard to catch up during a season. Taking that into consideration, he wasn't all that bad in Toronto. He has been skating here in the valley during the lockout and staying with Shane Doan, who says he is healthy. Lombardi also never wanted to leave Phoenix. He gambled on the market and Maloney moved to replace him with Ray Whitney.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:20 AM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

I'd go something like:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
MacArthur - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - McClement - Brown

Alternate 3rd line:

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:59 AM
FireEverybody*

Everyone was surprised Lambo was even playing the games he played when he got here.
He was never terrible but never fit in and never stole a spot.

Hope he does well in Phoenix.

Saying he never got opportunity here is ******** though.
He had time with every line 1st to 4th.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:39 AM
Stephen23

Pleasantly surprised and happy that Toronto managed to get a 3rd/4th for him. Lombardi never complained once about his bad luck. I hope he thrives in Phoenix and goes back to the level of playing he was at before. I wouldn't be disappointed in the trade if he does, but more happy that he got his career back on track.

Stephen23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:07 AM
fst6
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
He was good in Phoenix tho

fst6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:39 AM
doorman

I wish him well, he is a good player and seems like a good guy, good luck matt.

doorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Salary Kapanen

Quote:
Bang on, rt. I expect Lombardi to beback to his old self this season in Phoenix.

Lots of players just play better on one specific team. Vrbata is a good example, also with the Coyotes. He is twice the player there than he was as a Blackhawk, and 10 times the player he was as a Bolt. I expect the same resurgance from Lombardi.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:57 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
Everyone was surprised Lambo was even playing the games he played when he got here.
He was never terrible but never fit in and never stole a spot.

Hope he does well in Phoenix.

Saying he never got opportunity here is ******** though.
He had time with every line 1st to 4th.
Exactly. Some guys just don't fit in certain situations. Ray Whitney was horrible in Detroit, which makes no sense btw, and there's been several players that don't handle Toronto well. Or maybe Lombardi is damaged goods. We shall see.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:58 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

lombardi just sounds like a name that would play for phoenix

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:06 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
I like that TO is covering the signing bonus which is likely not pro-rated. Phoenix, I suppose is on the hook for only 48 games worth of his 3.5m salary, this season. I suppose it's actually 48 games worth of 3.0m given the signing bonus' subtraction. Something like $1,756,097.56, right? Also, Dreger stated TO would cover "additional salary", as well.

Pretty low risk move for Phoenix, I'd say.
TO had to cover the signing bonus, it was almost certainly paid out already back in July.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote