HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Connolly

Old
01-14-2013, 05:01 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

vCash: 500
Tim Connolly

I noticed teams needing centers this year like Phoenix and Vancouver.

What would you give up for 1 year(4.75M prorated) of Tim Connolly.

He had 36 points in 70 games.

We have Bozak Grabs McClemment and Steckel with Kadri possibly making the jump. Im not sure where Connolly fits in Toronto.

Anyone willing to give up a 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder? Will he fetch that at the deadline?

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:06 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 0
soon to be UFA with a LONG history of injury problems and who is a slow starter--also his stats over the past 4 years have gotten worse. For the PTS his puts up if he was a third line grinder it would be okay

only a team that is needing to get to the floor would want him

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:12 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
soon to be UFA with a LONG history of injury problems and who is a slow starter--also his stats over the past 4 years have gotten worse. For the PTS his puts up if he was a third line grinder it would be okay

only a team that is needing to get to the floor would want him

Connolly is a known PK'er even from his time in Buffalo.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:13 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

You couldn't pay us to take him.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:26 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post

We have Bozak Grabs McClemment and Steckel with Kadri possibly making the jump. Im not sure where Connolly fits in Toronto.

Anyone willing to give up a 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder? Will he fetch that at the deadline?
How about a 5th rounder? Maybe a 4th but its got to be conditional.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:41 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post

7th rounder. But only if at least a 3rd is coming back with Connolly.

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:48 AM
nmbr_24

I tried but I can't think of one team that would want this guy.

His cap hit is at least twice what it should be and he usually ends up injured.

His stats aren't what they need to be, I could see him getting a chance to prove himself again in the AHL after this contract is over, but I don't see any team wanting him for their NHL team for this season.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:08 AM
HiddenInLight

A broken hockey stick and that's only if Toronto pays half his cap hit.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Who pays the shipping of the broken stick?

Old
01-14-2013, 07:21 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Who pays the shipping of the broken stick?
Toronto has to drive to buffalo and pick it up themselves......also drop connoly off at the arena.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:25 AM
416Leafer

I think Toronto has to wait for teams to start getting desperate, and also hopefully for Connolly to have a decent start and up his value.

Right now, Connolly is probably only worth something like a ~5th round pick. In late March? Assuming he plays reasonably well, he could be worth as high as a 2nd. People overpay towards the deadline, that's just the way it is.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:29 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I think Toronto has to wait for teams to start getting desperate, and also hopefully for Connolly to have a decent start and up his value.

Right now, Connolly is probably only worth something like a ~5th round pick. In late March? Assuming he plays reasonably well, he could be worth as high as a 2nd. People overpay towards the deadline, that's just the way it is.
As a sabres fan I can tell you that Connoly will be hurt by then and lose whatever minimal value he had.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:

True. Leafs could trade him for a 2nd then flip that 2nd along with 2013 1st, Gardiner and Kadri for Luongo, at the deadline.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:35 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
As a sabres fan I can tell you that Connoly will be hurt by then and lose whatever minimal value he had.
Maybe, but his value can't go down a whole lot. So may as well roll the dice and see if he can improve his stock.

Last year for example, he started off the year with something like 22 points in 28 games. A similar start would give him decent trade value in a deadline scenario.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Injury prone guys are exactly what you look for entering the grind that is the playoffs.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:51 AM
seanlinden

Quote:

Toronto doesn't have to do anything. Right now Tyler Bozak is slotted in as the team's #1 Centre, they need Tim Connolly in the context of plan b, and if a draft pick is all they're going to get, then they might as well keep him as that.

Now, if a team was prepared to part with a guy who would be a top 4 shutdown dman for us... or a goaltender, then of course he'd be put on the table. However, until somebody becomes available that actually addresses an immediate need for the Leafs, or Bozak makes Connolly totally redundant, he's going nowhere.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 07:57 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Toronto doesn't have to do anything. Right now Tyler Bozak is slotted in as the team's #1 Centre, they need Tim Connolly in the context of plan b, and if a draft pick is all they're going to get, then they might as well keep him as that.

Now, if a team was prepared to part with a guy who would be a top 4 shutdown dman for us... or a goaltender, then of course he'd be put on the table. However, until somebody becomes available that actually addresses an immediate need for the Leafs, or Bozak makes Connolly totally redundant, he's going nowhere.
It's that type of thinking that caused the Maple Leafs to only make 29 draft selections over the last 4 years, which is only ONE more than default (7X4). Pretty pathetic for a rebuilding team.

What exactly would we be holding onto him for? For a playoff run? LOL. That's actually hilarious. Selling guys like Connolly is the type of thing that gives you the draft flexibility to draft a top goalie prospect for example. Something that would have been nice had it been done 4-5 years ago.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:05 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
It's that type of thinking that caused the Maple Leafs to only make 29 draft selections over the last 4 years, which is only ONE more than default (7X4). Pretty pathetic for a rebuilding team.

What exactly would we be holding onto him for? For a playoff run? LOL. That's actually hilarious. Selling guys like Connolly is the type of thing that gives you the draft flexibility to draft a top goalie prospect for example. Something that would have been nice had it been done 4-5 years ago.
It's your type of thinking that perpetuates a culture of losing that has infected Toronto.

Yes, we're holding onto him to increase our chances of a playoff run. The Leafs need to eradicate that culture, and they need to do it now. If Tyler Bozak has a bad year, or the Leafs realize that they need size (JvR) opposite Phil Kessel, Tim Connolly could slide quite easily onto our 1st line. The guy is a proven point producer, with the caveat that he's playing with somebody who can finish.

We pre-emptively drop him from our lineup for what? a mid-round draft pick? I think not. If the return is a pick/prospect, you wait until the deadline to make a determination as that is when picks/prospects are undervalued relative to immediate talent. If it's something that can help our team immediately, then it's certainly something to look at right now.

Had it been done 4 or 5 years ago? You might have a case, but the Leafs need to win, and need to win now.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:35 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I tried but I can't think of one team that would want this guy.

His cap hit is at least twice what it should be and he usually ends up injured.

His stats aren't what they need to be, I could see him getting a chance to prove himself again in the AHL after this contract is over, but I don't see any team wanting him for their NHL team for this season.
His cap hit doesn't really mean jack all when he's a UFA after this season. What's that extra cap going to do anyways? Play backup G? You guys act like cap space is its own statistical category.

Connolly's really not even that bad. He's a decent defensive 3C that can chip in half a point per game. I think he'd be a decent fit in SJS.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:42 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
It's your type of thinking that perpetuates a culture of losing that has infected Toronto.

Yes, we're holding onto him to increase our chances of a playoff run. The Leafs need to eradicate that culture, and they need to do it now. If Tyler Bozak has a bad year, or the Leafs realize that they need size (JvR) opposite Phil Kessel, Tim Connolly could slide quite easily onto our 1st line. The guy is a proven point producer, with the caveat that he's playing with somebody who can finish.
Considering the team has never tried to build through the draft, and has actually followed your philosophy of continually "going for it" despite never having the pieces to do so, I think it's safe to say that your philosophy has led to this team being the biggest loser in literally the entire league since the lockout

There is a time to hold onto your pending Free Agents and try and make a playoff run, but this is not it.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:45 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Considering the team has never tried to build through the draft, and has actually followed your philosophy of continually "going for it" despite never having the pieces to do so, I think it's safe to say that your philosophy has led to this team being the biggest loser in literally the entire league since the lockout

There is a time to hold onto your pending Free Agents and try and make a playoff run, but this is not it.
Which one?

(Sorry, no offense intended, but it was just begging to be said.) LOL

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:16 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Broken hockey stick is more durable. Just saying . . .

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:

We pre-emptively drop him from our lineup for what? a mid-round draft pick? I think not. If the return is a pick/prospect, you wait until the deadline to make a determination as that is when picks/prospects are undervalued relative to immediate talent. If it's something that can help our team immediately, then it's certainly something to look at right now.

Had it been done 4 or 5 years ago? You might have a case, but the Leafs need to win, and need to win now.
Wait, i thought you guys were rebuilding.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:56 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

As a Phoenix fan I'd go as high as Goncharov and a 3rd, but only if Toronto is willing to retain AT LEAST a million and a half.

01-14-2013, 09:58 AM
ACC1224
vs. New Orleans

His value is pretty much non existent. Maybe gets you Luongo with a 2nd thrown in.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote