HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Something, Something... SETH JONES!

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 08:38 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

vCash: 500
Actually I did. I mentioned that one absolutely plays the game bigger than he is, like a lion, and that's one of the traits that scouts love about him.... You even responded to that by saying some nonsense about Taylor Hall......

Reading and Comp. 101

Old
01-27-2013, 08:38 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Nijna edit, you never answered why you are so concerned about Drouin's size and not Mackinnon's, didn't you know they are the same height and same weight, give or take 3 lbs?
have you spoken with any scouts about dickinson? ive spoken with a few that are shocked with how little press he is getting

Old
01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

ANYWAYS

A question to pose:

Say we're drafting at ... 14. The centers are off the board, plus Jones, Nurse, and Pulock.

Who are you picking, and why?

Old
01-27-2013, 08:42 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
ANYWAYS

A question to pose:

Say we're drafting at ... 14. The centers are off the board, plus Jones, Nurse, and Pulock.

at this point, Ristolainen or Nichuskin, or potentially Dickinson for me.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
have you spoken with any scouts about dickinson? ive spoken with a few that are shocked with how little press he is getting
Yeah, I asked, but this was months ago before the WJC, they like him but wanted to see more. Will have to revisit that one when we have a chance.

I like this kid too, think he will be a top 6 NHL fwd one day. High IQ.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Actually I did. I mentioned that one absolutely plays the game bigger than he is, like a lion, and that's one of the traits that scouts love about him.... You even responded to that by saying some nonsense about Taylor Hall......

Reading and Comp. 101
??? So you have no qualms about a 179lbs Lion but one that is a crafty 176lbs Tiger. That makes a lot of sense, you are off your game tonight, stats and players sizes. Me thinks.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:48 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Yeah, I asked, but this was months ago before the WJC, they like him but wanted to see more. Will have to revisit that one when we have a chance.

I like this kid too, think he will be a top 6 NHL fwd one day. High IQ.
please revisit. he has been mired in a goal scoring slump, but his all around offensive play is great. on top of that, he loves to kill people with hits. ive seen him four or five times this year, and twice he has put people into the bench. along with other big hits.

his balance is downright garbage, but its totally clear to me its a physical development thing. saw him after the game and he is a twig. but he is fast, has great hands, has an INCREDIBLE release, and a great shot. no doubt in my mind he is a future powerforward.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
please revisit. he has been mired in a goal scoring slump, but his all around offensive play is great. on top of that, he loves to kill people with hits. ive seen him four or five times this year, and twice he has put people into the bench. along with other big hits.

his balance is downright garbage, but its totally clear to me its a physical development thing. saw him after the game and he is a twig. but he is fast, has great hands, has an INCREDIBLE release, and a great shot. no doubt in my mind he is a future powerforward.
Ok for you I shall ask, haven't seen him play in awhile, but I do like his game, smart kid. Does the right things on the ice. Lost in the vast shuffle of good prospects this year.

Old
01-27-2013, 08:56 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
??? So you have no qualms about a 179lbs Lion but one that is a crafty 176lbs Tiger. That makes a lot of sense, you are off your game tonight, stats and players sizes. Me thinks.
Ask Marc Savard how being a crafty tiger worked out...

Old
01-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Ask Marc Savard how being a crafty tiger worked out...
He was cooke'd, again not the same thing, another reach, both Drouin and Mackinnon are the same size, if you have reservations about Drouin's size than Mackinnon should be not far behind.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
ANYWAYS

A question to pose:

I wonder how much Erne falls because of the recent selfishness issue coming out?

The kid has the size and raw skill, but character could be a big issue.

I'd take him with the hopes that he drops the selfish play and can be molded into a true professional with the right leadership group. That's one thing that will shine through with the Burke picks, big time character kids on the way.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:15 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I wonder how much Erne falls because of the recent selfishness issue coming out?

The kid has the size and raw skill, but character could be a big issue.

I'd take him with the hopes that he drops the selfish play and can be molded into a true professional with the right leadership group. That's one thing that will shine through with the Burke picks, big time character kids on the way.
I think a telling sign was how he and Duclair handled the situation with the team. They showed great maturity, and understanding, in holding a team meeting, and manning up to their mistakes, and from what my uncle in Q.City tells me, the attitude and focus on the ice seems to have changed.

Erne is really high on my list too. He has such great instincts, and great offensive ability. He's an opportunistic winger, who would benefit greatly from playing with someone with the skill and vision of a guy like Kadri.

I also really like Duclair.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
I think a telling sign was how he and Duclair handled the situation with the team. They showed great maturity, and understanding, in holding a team meeting, and manning up to their mistakes, and from what my uncle in Q.City tells me, the attitude and focus on the ice seems to have changed.

Erne is really high on my list too. He has such great instincts, and great offensive ability. He's an opportunistic winger, who would benefit greatly from playing with someone with the skill and vision of a guy like Kadri.

I also really like Duclair.
Good to hear he has rebounded well. He could still fall significantly considering how far Grigorenko fell. I think the whole Russian factor had something to do with it, but with a situation like Erne's I could see some old school GM's stay away from him just based on principle.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:23 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Good to hear he's rebounded well. He could still fall significantly considering how far Grigorenko fell. I think the whole Russian factor had something to do with it, but with a situation like Erne's I could see some old school GM's stay away from him just based on principle.
That's very true. And I think Erne is the kind of kid who would come back to haunt those GM's. He's a pretty solid forward prospect, who has all the talent in the world, but probably needs a good mentor to work with, to help him mature along the way.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:24 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Does anyone else feel like tanking this year wouldn't feel as bad as in years previous could we only have to suffer through 48 games?

For the record I love Jones and would love to have him, but I wish he had more of a mean streak a la Pronger. He seems like too nice a kid to be honest. If you could combine Darnell Nurse and Jones into one player though you would have absolutely everything. There's no question about Nurse's mean streak.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:27 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
Does anyone else feel like tanking this year wouldn't feel as bad as in years previous could we only have to suffer through 48 games?

For the record I love Jones and would love to have him, but I wish he had more of a mean streak a la Pronger. He seems like too nice a kid to be honest. If you could combine Darnell Nurse and Jones into one player though you would have absolutely everything. There's no question about Nurse's mean streak.
I want this team to make the playoffs, like any reasonable fan should, but if we were going to bottom out, at least we wouldn't be forced to watch them flounder for a full 82 game schedule to get there.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Interactif

Quote:

I know this team will not make the playoffs baring something significant coming back in a trade, if we do not make the playoffs what is the point of finishing with the 14th pick rather than the 1st pick. I am a realist, not a dreamer, the chances of making the playoffs with the current roster are very slim.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:01 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

5 games into a shotgun season.... long way from calling it off at this point, although EXPECTING the playoffs shouldn't be high on your list.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:33 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:

Well certainly is nicer to only suck for half a season. A bonus in that this is a strong draft so you get a pretty good reward for that suffering. Finishing with a really high pick would certainly give a bit of hope. Another big piece to build around and help turn this thing around.

Of course never know how things will turn out. Don't think you'd find a lot of disagreement on the point that suffering for half a season is better than a whole one.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:45 PM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Quote:
Yeah Justin Bailey is a very intriguing prospect that a scout and I had a good talk about, this kid according to him and I agree has the potential to be a dominant fwd.

You see glimpses of it, he is a great skater, has nice hands, and is hidden in Spott's roster, like him a a lot, I love Monahan too, when I watch him play he is like the old time Leafs, never the flying Habs type players but workmanlike and lots of heart.
Yes that's exactly the type of player Monahan is. Bailey could be a great OHL scorer if they would just use him as one maybe on a line with Puemple and Leivo but Spott is inept lol....His skating to me doesn't come across as the average skating for his age grou-p, he's a little bit better than that and his hands are a beauty.

However I'm huge on Monahan, he's the kind of kid even if he scores 75 points and not 100, he makes more impact on the game than the 100 point scorer. I liken him to a Toews mould and he plays like a doberman after a meat collar he never stops hustling its insane

Old
01-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolungoReboundo View Post
Yes that's exactly the type of player Monahan is. Bailey could be a great OHL scorer if they would just use him as one maybe on a line with Puemple and Leivo but Spott is inept lol....His skating to me doesn't come across as the average skating for his age grou-p, he's a little bit better than that and his hands are a beauty.

However I'm huge on Monahan, he's the kind of kid even if he scores 75 points and not 100, he makes more impact on the game than the 100 point scorer. I liken him to a Toews mould and he plays like a doberman after a meat collar he never stops hustling its insane
Spott on. No pun intended.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Tanking for 4 years, would give you the ultimate team. McDavid, Ekblad, potentially Day, and Mackinnon.

JVR-McDavid-XXXXX
Lupul-Mackinnon-Kadri
Biggs-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-McClement-Komarov

Ekblad-Day
Gardiner-Rielly
Liles-Gunnar

Riemer-Scrivens

Lol @ goalies, but way better choice of draft years than EDM lol. Obviously trade Kessel and Phaneuf and.. for even more young talent, and getting the teams that win the loterry over us to give us #1.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:50 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
Tanking for 4 years, would give you the ultimate team. McDavid, Ekblad, potentially Day, and Mackinnon.

JVR-McDavid- Kessel
Lupul-Mackinnon-Kadri
Biggs-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-McClement-Komarov

Ekblad-Day
Gardiner-Rielly
Ranger-Gunnar

Riemer-Scrivens

Lol @ goalies, but way better choice of draft years than EDM lol.
Fixed that for you..

Old
01-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
Fixed that for you..
He wouldn't sign with us, I edited to trade him. Preferable Minny for Granlund+, and place him on Mackinnon's line on RW, whoever is better at C plays it while other plays RW, and move Kadri up.

Old
01-27-2013, 10:54 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post

JVR-McDavid-XXXXX
Lupul-Mackinnon-Kadri
Biggs-Bozak-Frattin
Brown-McClement-Komarov

Ekblad-Day
Gardiner-Rielly
Liles-Gunnar

Riemer-Scrivens

Lol @ goalies, but way better choice of draft years than EDM lol. Obviously trade Kessel and Phaneuf and.. for even more young talent, and getting the teams that win the loterry over us to give us #1.
I've seen Day twice this year.

Kid is just .... Unbelievable. Downright scary good.

Closed Thread