HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Something, Something... SETH JONES!

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
My new top 3 as of today are:

1. Jones (clear #1)
2. Drouin
3. Mackinnon

I moved Drouin ahead of Mac, every game I have watched with these 2 in it, he has outshone Mackinnon. I am starting to feel Mackinnon has stagnated whereas Jones and Drouin have progressed and moved passed him.

For all the hyperbole of Drouin's lack of size by really only one poster, he is essentially the same size of Mackinnon.

I am uneasy having Mackinnon play a physical style against men, Crosby has been hurt, and even going back to the Leafs days Clark was often injuried, little men that play big is a risky proposition. Admire it, but Drouin to me is the safer and better pick.

Disclaimer-I reserve the right to amend my picks if performances warrant it at anytime before the draft.
I was just thinking this just before I scrolled down on the iPhone and read this post. Agree 100%

Old
01-28-2013, 05:14 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

And from those "in the know"

"As a season ticket holder I've seen both plenty over the last two years. You can talk about vision and IQ all you want but I have absolutely no doubt that Mackinnon is the better package and will have more impact at the NHL level. Honestly I think Drouin has slightly better hands and that's it. I've seen poor decision making from both of them, especially Drouin post-WJCs.

I love how Drouin gets credit for his vision when he finds the wide open trailer on the rush (obvious play) because two defenders have committed to covering Mackinnon (who has probably skated by at least 2 opposing players and a teammate to join the rush) on the way to the net, for example."

Old
01-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
I was just thinking this just before I scrolled down on the iPhone and read this post. Agree 100%
Jones just keeps proving himself, passed every test his way, separation from 2 and 3. The only people that don't have him at #1 have agenda's. All pro Scouts lists reflect this sentiment at the moment.

I came to the realization, why is everyone rating Mackinnon higher than Drouin when all Drouin does is look better than Mackinnon in each game they play in together.

Drouin deserves #2, and I think there are a few that are thinking the same thing. Cheers mate, up got it right.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

MacKinnon still #1 in my books. Then Jones.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:38 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
MacKinnon still #1 in my books. Then Jones.
Funny..... I don't see all the Jones fans calling you a "fool", "blind", or a "sheep", for thinking this....

The beauty of being a mod?

lol

I agree. I think It's MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin, Monahan, Lindholm.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Funny..... I don't see all the Jones fans calling you a "fool", "blind", or a "sheep", for thinking this....

lol

This order right here but swap Lindholm and Monahan. Monahan is very much the better overall player, but Lindholm has some sweet offensive skills, especially as a set-up man.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:47 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Volume View Post
This order right here but swap Lindholm and Monahan. Monahan is very much the better overall player, but Lindholm has some sweet offensive skills, especially as a set-up man.
Fair enough, Just haven't seen THAT much of Lindholm to this point.

firstrowsports comes in handy, however.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Volume View Post
I was under the impression that Lindholm was the better two-way forward. Granted, I haven't seen Lindholm play other than in the WJC's, but from the scouting reports I've read he sound like a complete player (minus physicality).

Old
01-28-2013, 05:57 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I was under the impression that Lindholm was the better two-way forward. Granted, I haven't seen Lindholm play other than in the WJC's, but from the scouting reports I've read he sound like a complete player (minus physicality).
He played a pretty solid two-way game at the WJC's.
In limited viewings, physicality is lacking, but his playmaking and fearlessness around the net are commendable attributes.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Oan

People putting Drouin above Barkov must not have seen Barkov play in FEL. Straight after WJC, Barkov has been on a 9-game pointstreak, 4+7 in those 9 games. He has been amazing.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:08 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
He may not hit as much as Monahan, but from what I understand he is quite physical and often finishes his checks.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:12 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
People putting Drouin above Barkov must not have seen Barkov play in FEL. Straight after WJC, Barkov has been on a 9-game pointstreak, 4+7 in those 9 games. He has been amazing.
As long as there's a link (there usually is), I'll post it in here on the 31st, when Tappara play Jokerit.

There's apparently a break coming as there is a National tournament about to take place, where Barkov will be resting. For a 17 year old, he's played an incredible amount of hockey this year, and Tappara's coaches want him rested for the playoffs, as well as the Finnish National Team wanting him on their WC roster.

Tearing up a pro league, and playing for his country at the WC's at only 17. Truly a special talent.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Jerkini

Last time a USNTDP defenceman was drafted 1st overall wasn't pretty. I'll take the centerman instead.

Last edited by Jerkini: 01-28-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

We need a centerman out of this draft.

However if we did somehow end up in a position to take Jones, he would be so hard to pass up.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Lsat time a USNTDP defenceman was drafted 1st overall wasn't pretty. I'll take the centerman instead.
Uh oh, how dare you

Old
01-28-2013, 07:12 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post

lol

powerhungery mods

i agree, mackinnon jones drouin barkov monahan and lindholm are all in the top 6, i hope mackinnon falls to wherever we end up, but any of those 6 i would be very happy inbetween kessel and lupul (even jones **** it)

Old
01-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Spoken like a true Barkov fan, I remember you from the Barkov thread on the main board!

Old
01-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Anyone have a scouting report for Tyler Hill of the Chicago Steel USHL? 6'6" 225lbs winger fron Ontario.

EDIT: I did find this but I would prefer something more legit http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/tyler-hill/18897/

Old
01-28-2013, 07:41 PM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
I still like mackinnon at 1. Jones is very very close though! Drouin has no chance of being drafted higher than mackinnon sorry fans.

Old
01-28-2013, 07:55 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Last time a USNTDP defenceman was drafted 1st overall wasn't pretty. I'll take the centerman instead.
Outstanding logic.

What does the fact that E Johnson was drafted #1 overall, had a stellar rookie season that was followed by a knee injury that hes really never gotten fully back to form from have to do with Seth Jones?

Just because Erik Johnson hasnt lived up to expectations doesnt make Seth Jones anyless of a outstanding prospect.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:00 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Fantasy draft question. You can have one of two players on the current Leafs: Drew Doughty or Tyler Seguin. Would you consider them roughly equal talents relative to position? Which one would you rather have?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:01 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
Fantasy draft question. You can pick have one of two players on the current Leafs: Drew Doughty or Tyler Seguin. Would you consider them roughly equal talents relative to position? Which one would you rather have?
Doughty and I dont even have to think about it hard.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:05 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Doughty and I dont even have to think about it hard.
But do you think they're roughly equal talents? If not, then another comparison may be more appropriate. Maybe Stamkos vs. Doughty?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:05 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Jones just keeps proving himself, passed every test his way, separation from 2 and 3. The only people that don't have him at #1 have agenda's. All pro Scouts lists reflect this sentiment at the moment.

I came to the realization, why is everyone rating Mackinnon higher than Drouin when all Drouin does is look better than Mackinnon in each game they play in together.

Drouin deserves #2, and I think there are a few that are thinking the same thing. Cheers mate, up got it right.
WOW!! You know them all?! That's amazing! You must be Bobby Mac!

Old
01-28-2013, 08:06 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
But do you think they're roughly equal talents? If not, then another comparison may be more appropriate.
Not really.
To me Doughty is already the noticeably better player and has the higher ceiling also. I could see Doughty winning 1-2 Norris's during his career and I dont think Seguin has that kind of potential (forward wise).

Closed Thread