HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Something, Something... SETH JONES!

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
So if we draft Seth Jones 1st Overall, we will be making him a LW anyway right?

Old
01-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Anth93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
You are basing this statement on previous drafts? Seth Jones certainly projects to be more than just "marginally better than the rest of the D".
I watch Darnell Nurse quite often and every time I think his game has a chance to be just as good. Skates like the wind/joins the rush and has an enormous frame.

For as good as Jones is, history shows that a lot of D will emerge from the middle of the first round. Is that even a question at this point? It seems like it's even more wrong to IGNORE history and pretend it holds no relevance, than it is to reference it.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:11 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
We've also shown that our top line is completely non-existent due to only have one capable player on it.

Interesting..

Yeah, we have a lot of holes to fill. If Nonis and Morrison deem Jones a can't miss, BPA and we're drafting #1, I'm ok with that.

Either, or, for me.

If I had a say, I'd still take MacKinnon. I firmly believe he's a can't miss 2 way star center. Future 80 point fast skater with intangibles. And I'd be OK if Jones went on to win a couple Norris trophies while Mac puts up Sundin like numbers.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Yeah, we have a lot of holes to fill. If Nonis and Morrison deem Jones a can't miss, BPA and we're drafting #1, I'm ok with that.

Either, or, for me.

If I had a say, I'd still take MacKinnon. I firmly believe he's a can't miss 2 way star center. Future 80 point fast skater with intangibles. And I'd be OK if Jones went on to win a couple Norris trophies while Mac puts up Sundin like numbers.
If we're comparing Mats Sundin with a "couple of Norris trophies" type defender, I'll take Sundin 10/10.

If Nonis and co. deem Jones the BPA, they're going to trade the 1st pick. There's just no way they don't leave this draft with a forward (unless Jones falls to them).

Old
01-29-2013, 11:21 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
If we're comparing Mats Sundin with a "couple of Norris trophies" type defender, I'll take Sundin 10/10.

If Nonis and co. deem Jones the BPA, they're going to trade the 1st pick. There's just no way they don't leave this draft with a forward (unless Jones falls to them).
I know I said it, but it's not always the right choice. Pronger won once. So did Niedermeyer. You can't dismiss that.

Mind you we know they would've won more if not for a freak named Lidstrom.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Anth93

Quote:
I know I said it, but it's not always the right choice. Pronger won once. So did Niedermeyer. You can't dismiss that.

Mind you we know they would've won more if not for a freak named Lidstrom.
I'll bring this up again and maybe I'm way off base here, but imagine you could draft a young Yzerman vs. a young Lidstrom. Would you not take the C every time? Mackinnon is from the same mold of a Toews/Yzerman in terms of shot/speed/defense. Just far too valuable to pass up in my opinion and many others.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:28 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:

Either, or, for me.

Yeah, I agree with you on this point. If that call was to be made and they decided that Jones was most definitely the BPA and picked him, I'd get behind that.

And if I had a say, would also still go with MacKinnon. Willing to say that it is the memories of having a Sundin up the middle that affects my view a bit. You just know when you have a top notch center on the top line what they can do for the team. Think with the talent level, effort, and being one of the younger guys in the draft it'd be pretty exciting to see how he would turn out.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:41 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Mckenzie hinted strongly in the pre-show to the Wed, mid-season rankings show that Drouin is very close to Mackinnon. Will be an interesting show.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:42 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Well he needs some more love around here, since you especially seem to outright loathe him, for no good reason.
That's okay, welcome to the Leafs board.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:55 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Another point in the appeal of drafting Mac is I think he will gel well with Kessel, as Drouin plays similar to Kessel. This would help in retaining PK long term. Otherwise we would be searching forever for a great winger to play with Mac.

Giving a guy like Nate a winger like Kessel to start his career with would do well for his development. Of course the same could be said for Jones playing with Phaneuf.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:01 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Quote:
I watch Darnell Nurse quite often and every time I think his game has a chance to be just as good. Skates like the wind/joins the rush and has an enormous frame.

For as good as Jones is, history shows that a lot of D will emerge from the middle of the first round. Is that even a question at this point? It seems like it's even more wrong to IGNORE history and pretend it holds no relevance, than it is to reference it.
I love Darnell Nurse, if Jones had his meanstreak he would be the best defensive prospect ever. Both have great size and skate very well. Both have good shots from the point. Jones has a better hockey IQ and better overall puck skills than Nurse though and that's what really separates them.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Another point in the appeal of drafting Mac is I think he will gel well with Kessel, as Drouin plays similar to Kessel. This would help in retaining PK long term. Otherwise we would be searching forever for a great winger to play with Mac.

Giving a guy like Nate a winger like Kessel to start his career with would do well for his development. Of course the same could be said for Jones playing with Phaneuf.
Even though I'm pro-forward, this should not be a reason why.

We see what Kessel does to one of our lines, there's no reason why Drouin can't do the same on another.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
I love Darnell Nurse, if Jones had his meanstreak he would be the best defensive prospect ever. Both have great size and skate very well. Both have good shots from the point. Jones has a better hockey IQ and better overall puck skills than Nurse though and that's what really separates them.
Absolutely agree. Nurse was just ok in his first year, but he's literally gotten better each and every game since opening day. It's really fun to watch when a player does this.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:14 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Even though I'm pro-forward, this should not be a reason why.

We see what Kessel does to one of our lines, there's no reason why Drouin can't do the same on another.
Jones is one thing, but there is no chance I take Drouin over Mac. Never.

Drouin had the opporunity to play big minutes as a winger for Canada and he did quite well with it. But Nate got buried in what will likely be his only chance to compete for a WJC. I think that will sting a little and may affect his game. Either way, all offense aside, Nate brings a lot more to the table then Drouin.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:16 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:

That's if Kessel is still with us next year...if not we will also need a stud winger like Drouin. Still is no one worried about Mackinnon's size? A poster said he was worried about Drouin's 2 days ago, why not Mackinnon's?

Old
01-29-2013, 12:20 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
That's if Kessel is still with us next year...if not we will also need a stud winger like Drouin. Still is no one worried about Mackinnon's size? A poster said he was worried about Drouin's 2 days ago, why not Mackinnon's?
I wouldn't be worried about either of them. Especially not a winger with speed.

But Mac is bigger and stronger. Considered by some as "stalky".

The last reports I saw had him ~10lbs heavier and nearly an inch taller.

Edit: Kessel is signed with us through next season. Until real rumours (not suggestions by some) exist, I will assume he is staying.

Last edited by The Naz: 01-29-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 12:26 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:

True. MacK has a more developed, stronger build.

I want a winger like Adam Erne, a power forward in the making, with great offensive skills and potential, high IQ, and committedto learning the defensive side of the game, at 17.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:34 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:

I don't recall Crosby's size when he came into the league, 5'11, 185lbs? On the Halifax site it does show both have grown, Drouin is now at 185lbs, he's actually heavier than Mackinnon.

This is the type of draft I can see being reminesent to the 2003 one, a guy like Justin Bailey I see, could be another Ryan Getzlaf player. Deep in quality, if I were Nonis I would be adding 1sts even late in the round. Dickinson is another hidden gem.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:35 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:

Edit: Kessel is signed with us through next season. Until real rumours (not suggestions by some) exist, I will assume he is staying.
You see the half glass full, I fear the possibilty is far more real than rumour.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:41 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:

The Kessel thing is so overblown, because it's Toronto, and controversial article writing garners hits and sales.

There's nothing to suggest he wants out, great friends are here, and outside of the media coverage, he enjoys and is comfortable in Toronto. Not too worried.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:43 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
The Kessel thing is so overblown, because it's Toronto, and controversial article writing garners hits and sales.

There's nothing to suggest he wants out, great friends are here, and outside of the media coverage, he enjoys and is comfortable in Toronto. Not too worried.
It's not even about does he want to stay here.. The entire article focuses on what's best for the Maple Leafs, and I'm convinced if the trade is right he should be the first to go.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:47 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
It's not even about does he want to stay here.. The entire article focuses on what's best for the Maple Leafs, and I'm convinced if the trade is right he should be the first to go.
Bingo.

Funny how we learn so little from successful franchises. Ie. Bruins

Old
01-29-2013, 12:54 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Quote:
Considered by some as "stalky".
Sorry to quibble but the word is stocky, not "stalky." Unless MacKinnon follows other hockey players around, creeps their facebook pages, or calls them on the phone not talking and breathing heavily.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:58 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
Sorry to quibble but the word is stocky, not "stalky." Unless MacKinnon follows other hockey players around, creeps their facebook pages, or calls them on the phone not talking and breathing heavily.
You've accidentally described Pierre McGuire...

Old
01-29-2013, 01:02 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
It depends, really. Someone would have to blow the doors off, really. If he wants to stay, and we can move out secondary pieces for picks and young players, there's no reason NOT to keep a top 6 scorer in the league, and someone who, with help, can reach 40 goals. He's also just entering his prime... So.... Again, unless someone made an offer you ABSOLUTELY couldn't refuse, we should be happy to have him here, and fill the gaps in the lineup withthe necessary parts to maximize his effectiveness.

Closed Thread