HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Something, Something... SETH JONES!

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 12:02 PM
TheMadHatTrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
You've accidentally described Pierre McGuire...
Yeah, McGuire is definitely stalky. lol

Old
01-29-2013, 12:02 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
It's not even about does he want to stay here.. The entire article focuses on what's best for the Maple Leafs, and I'm convinced if the trade is right he should be the first to go.
First the trade has to be right. I really, really doubt we will see someone offer something that is right for us (not saying I don't want to, just saying I doubt it happens).

Old
01-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
First the trade has to be right. I really, really doubt we will see someone offer something that is right for us (not saying I don't want to, just saying I doubt it happens).
By right I mean Schwartz and a 1st rather than the "Read and a 1st" Maclean through out last night.

It's got to be a player that can be part of our core.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:07 PM
ErnieLeafs

That stuff's for the trade thread.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:10 PM
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

Anyone else here really want Sean Monahan?
I could see him going #5 which is where we will probably fall around

Old
01-29-2013, 12:10 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
It's not even about does he want to stay here.. The entire article focuses on what's best for the Maple Leafs, and I'm convinced if the trade is right he should be the first to go.
That should be the case with any asset we own. Kessel, Rielly, Gardiner...even the first rounders we have. Asset management is about getting the best value for a player. If that player is better used bringing back an asset worth more to the team than the player being traded, then so be it.

That said, I highly doubt any Kessel trade serves this team better than Kessel.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Terrence

vCash: 1026
Quote:
If we're comparing Mats Sundin with a "couple of Norris trophies" type defender, I'll take Sundin 10/10.

If Nonis and co. deem Jones the BPA, they're going to trade the 1st pick. There's just no way they don't leave this draft with a forward (unless Jones falls to them).
You do realize there's only 11 defensemen in NHL history that have won 2 or more Norris trophies, right?

I'll take "a couple Norris trophies" over Sundin, all day.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:12 PM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
I like him, but he's in my secon tier of wants, and that tier is crowded.... Hahah

Old
01-29-2013, 12:13 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
By right I mean Schwartz and a 1st rather than the "Read and a 1st" Maclean through out last night.

No thanks. I'm not trading a four time 30 goal scoring forward who is only 25 (and thus easily fits into the future of this team) and just finished top 6 in the ENTIRE NHL for goals and points for a late first round pick (which is what the 1st will be) and an undersized prospect that has proven absolutely nothing at the pro level. That is a trade that makes absolutely no sense.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:14 PM
calcal798

Quote:

I wouldn't do that.

Kessel's a top ten RW (maybe top 5) in the league, on a fair deal, coming off a top ten scoring season. I'd want more then that. Like I said, I really don't see the right deal coming along (as much as I'd like it). I think Kessel will stay, he said he likes it here. He'll get paid about 7-7.5 and be one of our core players.

If he can play solid defensively, I don't think anyone should complain about having him.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:14 PM
The Magic Man
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
That should be the case with any asset we own. Kessel, Rielly, Gardiner...even the first rounders we have. Asset management is about getting the best value for a player. If that player is better used bringing back an asset worth more to the team than the player being traded, then so be it.

Yep. And that's the point most miss. With a proper top line, Kessel is a top scorer in this league. But everyone is so enamoured with potential, they're blinded to actual real ability. We won't win a Kessel trade. The only reason we move him is if he says he wants out. Judging by the Lupul signing, we won't be moving him. I highly doubt it. We need to focus on adding to what we have, not tearing down and starting over.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:17 PM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Yep. And that's the point most miss. With a proper top line, Kessel is a top scorer in this league. But everyone is so enamoured with potential, they're blinded to actual real ability. We won't win a Kessel trade. The only reason we move him is if he says he wants out. Judging by the Lupul signing, we won't be moving him. I highly doubt it. We need to focus on adding to what we have, not tearing down and starting over.
Ehmen. Lol

Old
01-29-2013, 12:18 PM
ErnieLeafs

But let's not let this thread turn into a debate about trading Kessel.

Everyone rank your top 5 wingers...... GO!

Old
01-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post
I've seen him a few times, underwhelming each time. He's got a great shot though.

Quote:

Yes, but until we have to invest 7+ million in the others on a team that's destined for a bottom 10 finish, do we even entertain trade offers?

If we manage to bring in Halak and Getzlaf, Kessel is terrific here. But we don't have these pieces or anything that could replicate them in our system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
You do realize there's only 11 defensemen in NHL history that have won 2 or more Norris trophies, right?

I'll take "a couple Norris trophies" over Sundin, all day.
I rest my case. Mats Sundin brought credibility and consistency to our team. Made free agents want to play here.

If Seth Jones is Rob Blake and Nathan Mackinnon is Alfredsson/Sundin, I want the later of the two.

Also, I understand how ridiculous it is to mention names like these and that Blake only one ONE Norris, but if it all goes right these are the caliber of players they could turn into.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
And how do you want to go about this? Honest question. What's your idea on adding to Kessel/Lupul/Grabovski/Phaneuf/etc. How do we replace Bozak with this "proper" linemate.
Quote:

EDIT: MISREAD.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:28 PM
The Winter Soldier
NHL PLAYOFFS

Quote:

Yes, agreed, let's get this thread back on track.

Like your number 1 prospect Mackinnon is just as stalky as players like Drouin or Mathew Dumba.. Could it be they are not Center's and not their size you were concerned about?

/Center obsession

Old
01-29-2013, 12:30 PM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
And how do you want to go about this? Honest question. What's your idea on adding to Kessel/Lupul/Grabovski/Phaneuf/etc. How do we replace Bozak with this "proper" linemate.

Sedin
Perry
Kane
Nash
Eberle

You can flip these players around and I wouldn't care, Kessel fits in with Neal/Parise as the next best.
No no, lol... I meant draft elligible wingers..

Old
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
I've seen him a few times, underwhelming each time. He's got a great shot though.

Yes, but until we have to invest 7+ million in the others on a team that's destined for a bottom 10 finish, do we even entertain trade offers?

If we manage to bring in Halak and Getzlaf, Kessel is terrific here. But we don't have these pieces or anything that could replicate them in our system.

I rest my case. Mats Sundin brought credibility and consistency to our team. Made free agents want to play here.

If Seth Jones is Rob Blake and Nathan Mackinnon is Alfredsson/Sundin, I want the later of the two.

Also, I understand how ridiculous it is to mention names like these and that Blake only one ONE Norris, but if it all goes right these are the caliber of players they could turn into.
So Kessel is useless without other players, thus it means we should just cut ties and hope we can find a better player with a late first round pick? That's idiotic. I don't even get what the point of the logic is. Rebuilding teams don't trade away young players who have shown incredible potential, and been their best player.

It just goes beyond any logic for a rebuild.

Edit: Post is a little harsh. I just struggle mightily with understanding the logic of trading Kessel. Not any issue with the posters that exhibit said logic.

Last edited by theIceWookie: 01-29-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old
Epictetus
YNWA

vCash: 511
A Good read. Very relevant here.

The Problem of Induction:

The problem of induction is the philosophical question of whether inductive reasoning leads to knowledge understood in the classic philosophical sense, since it focuses on the lack of justification for either:

1) Generalizing about the properties of a class of objects based on some number of observations of particular instances of that class (for example, the inference that "all swans we have seen are white, and therefore all swans are white", before the discovery of black swans)

OR

2) Presupposing that a sequence of events in the future will occur as it always has in the past (for example, that the laws of physics will hold as they have always been observed to hold). Hume called this the Principle of Uniformity of Nature.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:33 PM
The Winter Soldier
NHL PLAYOFFS

Quote:

Why stop at one, I want both Blake and Alfredsson.

Blake is better this draft though.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:34 PM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post

The problem of induction is the philosophical question of whether inductive reasoning leads to knowledge understood in the classic philosophical sense, since it focuses on the lack of justification for either:

1) Generalizing about the properties of a class of objects based on some number of observations of particular instances of that class (for example, the inference that "all swans we have seen are white, and therefore all swans are white", before the discovery of black swans)

OR

2) Presupposing that a sequence of events in the future will occur as it always has in the past (for example, that the laws of physics will hold as they have always been observed to hold). Hume called this the Principle of Uniformity of Nature.
Williams, Popper, and Hume... Oh my!

Well played, sir.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Anth93

Quote:
No no, lol... I meant draft elligible wingers..
Aha wow.

Drouin
Shinkaruk
Burakovsky
Erne
Mantha

Old
01-29-2013, 12:38 PM
The Winter Soldier
NHL PLAYOFFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post

OR

You mean this isn't a Best Center available thread?

Old
01-29-2013, 12:41 PM
KlattNazty

I still really want to move some pieces to get into that 10-14 spot and take Nurse / Ristolainen. Like badly. Such a glaring need on defence for a mobile shutdown guy.

EDIT: This would be a simply incredible draft to reshape the franchise. We have some moveable and valuable pieces, really think it could be an avenue worth exploring.

Still not a fan of the lupul signing at this point, more so for timing than for anything else.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Anth93

Quote:
So Kessel is useless without other players, thus it means we should just cut ties and hope we can find a better player with a late first round pick? That's idiotic. I don't even get what the point of the logic is. Rebuilding teams don't trade away young players who have shown incredible potential, and been their best player.

It just goes beyond any logic for a rebuild.
You're either ignoring or not thinking about the most important point. If we trade Kessel we're bringing in valuable assets AND securing a very good pick in a very good draft. I said we need to find a goalie and linemate for Kessel. If Kessel decides he'd rather win (god forbid) and doesn't want to resign here next year, we lost an extra playoff run of value out of him.

Teams will part with good players for him now, but next year when he's up for free agency? Who knows what he'll bring, but probably much less.

The logic is that for the "RIGHT" trade and for the purpose of a proper rebuild. I'll trade him.

Closed Thread