HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Something, Something... SETH JONES!

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2013, 01:29 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Since people are mostly talking about centers, I think he fits the need quite well.

Your assessment is quite charitable, however. But from what I have read about Monahan here, who is just a glorified Cody Hodgson, charitable is putting it mildly.
I haven't said anything there the pros wouldn't tell you....

How many times have you watched Barkov?
Maybe you just haven't seen him that much... I'm not really going out on a limb with any of that..

Old
01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1BPXyxoVQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5i2tLi0g0

Want that big body driving the net.

Kadri would love it.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
Old
01-31-2013, 01:44 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1BPXyxoVQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5i2tLi0g0

Want that big body driving the net.

Kadri would love it.
I like that we have JVR for that role on the second line myself.

I like where most of these goals are scored from. We need this for the first line. Sundin-esque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIY2_ZoUtGM

Old
01-31-2013, 01:53 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I like that we have JVR for that role on the second line myself.

I like where most of these goals are scored from. We need this for the first line. Sundin-esque

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIY2_ZoUtGM
Too bad the Leafs won't be drafting top 5.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:58 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
You never know. Phil's due for a long term injury.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:15 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
You never know. Phil's due for a long term injury.
Are you saying you know Shane St**t?

Old
01-31-2013, 02:38 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
I honestly hope not, but the other half of me hopes so.

I would throw a 2nd and a guy like Percy/Finn with out pick to move up and get him either way.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I honestly hope not, but the other half of me hopes so.

I would throw a 2nd and a guy like Percy/Finn with out pick to move up and get him either way.
Okay, would you have traded Toronto's 5th. for a 12th., 42nd., and Percy this year? Consider that this year a top 5 pick could be a key centerman (remote chance at franchise center)?

Add to that the cap is going down, and ELS contracts may be more important than ever.

I just don't see teams parting with top 5 picks going forward, unless they're getting something like Kessel or Duchene back.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:58 PM
topched

Quote:
Okay, would you have traded Toronto's 5th. for a 12th., 42nd., and Percy this year? Consider that this year a top 5 pick could be a key centerman (remote chance at franchise center)?

Add to that the cap is going down, and ELS contracts may be more important than ever.

I just don't see teams parting with top 5 picks going forward, unless they're getting something like Kessel or Duchene back.
I think it can be done.

Lets say we move MacA/Franson/Gunnar (insert leaf here) for a late first. Let's say its pick 20.

It wouldn't be difficult to see a team like Colorado or Edmonton, who are pretty set up front (or at least down the middle), to move their high first in favour of depth. Let's say pick #5 for pick #10 + #20. Would be easy for one of those teams who don't get a chance at Jones to get someone like Pulock or Nurse + another good prospect.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:09 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

It was a "off the top of my head" suggestion.

And yeah, I think it's entirely possible to move picks around and make a deal. It can happen if the GM's involved are on the same page.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Lebanese Leaf

If we miss out on any of the top C's, I would love to see the Leafs make a trade like the Redskins made to move up and draft RG3. Washington traded its first-round (6th overall) and second-round selections in 2012, along with its first-round selections in 2013 and 2014, to St. Louis to receive St. Louis' first-round selection in 2012 (2nd overall).

At the time everyone felt this was massive overpayment. They gave up 2 extra 1sts and a 2nd to move up 4 spots. But the Redskins got their franchise QB who was absolutely electrifying in his rookie season this year, and is the franchise's cornerstone after they were a joke for such a long time. I doubt their fans care that they do not have a 1st round pick this year or next year. At this point, it would be hard to find anyone who feels that the Redskins overpaid. And 1st round picks are even more coveted in the NFL than they are in the NHL

This is a bold move the Leafs need to make to get OUR RG3, in Mackinnon.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:54 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
If we miss out on any of the top C's, I would love to see the Leafs make a trade like the Redskins made to move up and draft RG3. Washington traded its first-round (6th overall) and second-round selections in 2012, along with its first-round selections in 2013 and 2014, to St. Louis to receive St. Louis' first-round selection in 2012 (2nd overall).

At the time everyone felt this was massive overpayment. They gave up 2 extra 1sts and a 2nd to move up 4 spots. But the Redskins got their franchise QB who was absolutely electrifying in his rookie season this year, and is the franchise's cornerstone after they were a joke for such a long time. I doubt their fans care that they do not have a 1st round pick this year or next year. At this point, it would be hard to find anyone who feels that the Redskins overpaid. And 1st round picks are even more coveted in the NFL than they are in the NHL

Trade 2 1sts and a 2nd to get a young star and franchise cornerstone? Yep, I think we've already done that, actually.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I think it can be done.

Lets say we move MacA/Franson/Gunnar (insert leaf here) for a late first. Let's say its pick 20.

It wouldn't be difficult to see a team like Colorado or Edmonton, who are pretty set up front (or at least down the middle), to move their high first in favour of depth. Let's say pick #5 for pick #10 + #20. Would be easy for one of those teams who don't get a chance at Jones to get someone like Pulock or Nurse + another good prospect.
Quote:
It was a "off the top of my head" suggestion.

And yeah, I think it's entirely possible to move picks around and make a deal. It can happen if the GM's involved are on the same page.
I don't see any team moving a top 5 pick for depth. Not even the Oilers.

Yes, Phaneuf for a top 5 for a team like the Oilers who already have several top 5 picks playing in the NHL at around the age of 20.

A top 5 pick could very well play in the NHL on a ELS contract. I see no upside to moving him when we aren't talking about contenders looking for the last piece, but a bottom feeder and nnNHL rules.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:04 PM
topched

Quote:
I don't see any team moving a top 5 pick for depth. Not even the Oilers.

Yes, Phaneuf for a top 5 for a team like the Oilers who already have several top 5 picks playing in the NHL at around the age of 20.

A top 5 pick could very well play in the NHL on a ELS contract. I see no upside to moving him when we aren't talking about contenders looking for the last piece, but a bottom feeder and nnNHL rules.
I just wonder what EDM or COL for example would do with Barkov or Monahan....

They've got so much young C depth that it might be best for them to move the pick.

At 10 they're likely still getting someone who is close to NHL ready... possibly a better fit for the positional need and it also gives them the opportunity to add another solid piece.

NYI and Nashville have done similar things in recent drafts. No point in making a pick that doesnt fit if you think you can collect a number of assets/picks along the way and still end up with a guy you relaly like.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:39 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I just wonder what EDM or COL for example would do with Barkov or Monahan....

They've got so much young C depth that it might be best for them to move the pick.

At 10 they're likely still getting someone who is close to NHL ready... possibly a better fit for the positional need and it also gives them the opportunity to add another solid piece.

NYI and Nashville have done similar things in recent drafts. No point in making a pick that doesnt fit if you think you can collect a number of assets/picks along the way and still end up with a guy you relaly like.
I just don't see it in the new new NHL.

Top 5 pick for Rielly, or Bogosian perhaps, but depth? This isn't like the era where the Bolts traded a top 5 for Fedotenko, where you could always buy a player. Cap era, with less cap space.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:50 PM
binop7

Quote:

And RG3's knees are made of mush now, so I'm not sure that's a great comparison. Knowing our luck Mac would get concussed in his first game.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:12 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
And RG3's knees are made of mush now, so I'm not sure that's a great comparison. Knowing our luck Mac would get concussed in his first game.
That's on Shanahan.
The comparison is fine. I don't think RC would send Mac/Barkov out there with a serious injury like they did with RG3 in Washington.

Old
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
binop7

Quote:
That's on Shanahan.
The comparison is fine. I don't think RC would send Mac/Barkov out there with a serious injury like they did with RG3 in Washington.
RG3 has had problems with his right knee for years now. I think it was just a ticking time bomb tbh.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:02 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
RG3 has had problems with his right knee for years now. I think it was just a ticking time bomb tbh.
He'll be fine.

Knee recovery is so easy now, even for football players. Look how Adrian Peterson returned from a complete ACL tear in remarkable time and almost broke the single season rushing record.

Old
01-31-2013, 06:04 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
He'll be fine.

Knee recovery is so easy now, even for football players. Look how Adrian Peterson returned from a complete ACL tear in remarkable time and almost broke the single season rushing record.
Is it heal times or is it the surgeries?

Old
01-31-2013, 06:05 PM
binop7

Quote:
He'll be fine.

Adrian Peterson is an anomaly, RG3 certainly could come back and be great, but I wouldn't bet on it.

we're way off topic though, lol/

I really like Nichuskin ?sp. Looks like he has some tremendous potential and he's big. That's if we pick 7-10 or around that.

Last edited by binop7: 01-31-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old
01-31-2013, 09:48 PM
Anth93

I can't believe how misinformed non-Redskins fans are about the RG3 situation.

He was able to play, UNTIL he tore his LCL. Plain and simple.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:15 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Anyways, I believe we'll be drafting from 11-15. Nurse, Pulock, Erne (my pick, a more offensive Kulemin..), Mantha, and Nichushkin. I want Erne, Mantha, or Nichushkin BAD. I think Nichushkin slides, being Russian, and Mantha and Erne might be top-10 in any other draft, so we can't really go wrong there.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:25 AM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

If the leafs aren't able to land any of those top forwards then I would like them to take the best defenseman available as deep as the prospect pool on defense may be it never hurts to have a lot of talent there, especially a couple of bluechippers. If you can add a Pulock, Morrissey, Nurse, Ristolainen, Hagg, Theodore or Zadorov to Rielly, Finn, Percy etc. then you do it every time.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Mackinnon, to Monahan...we need one of those guys and we be good.