HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Something, Something... SETH JONES!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-25-2013, 09:01 PM
  #201
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,920
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
I like Nichushkin, but I would take Shinkaruk over him. If Valeri's name was Micheal Smith from Edmonton, Alberta things might be different however.
Yeah, I don't think I can see the Leafs taking a Russian early on.

Too much risk involved + the management will get an earful from the fans if the guy we picked bolted to the KHL.

Pi is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 09:55 PM
  #202
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah, I don't think I can see the Leafs taking a Russian early on.

Too much risk involved + the management will get an earful from the fans if the guy we picked bolted to the KHL.
Keep an eye out for Robert Hagg (D) from Sweden. Could squeak into the top 12 or so when its all said and done.

Hoping to grab a high upside goaltender in the early rounds. Zach Fucale is a target.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19868&dateline=128642  9216
Dark Knight is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:09 PM
  #203
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,920
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Keep an eye out for Robert Hagg (D) from Sweden. Could squeak into the top 12 or so when its all said and done.

Hoping to grab a high upside goaltender in the early rounds. Zach Fucale is a target.
Yeah, If we're out of contention, I'm hoping the Leafs trade MacArthur for a 1st round pick (if his play is good enough to warrant such a return) and grab Fucale with that pick.

We need an elite goalie prospect in the system.

We've had too much trial and error with free agent goalies.

Pi is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:24 PM
  #204
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Keep an eye out for Robert Hagg (D) from Sweden. Could squeak into the top 12 or so when its all said and done.
My eyes are already out.

He's high on my list. Which I think is on page 2.


Very smart player.

Rare Jewel is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:34 PM
  #205
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,948
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
My eyes are already out.

He's high on my list. Which I think is on page 2.


Very smart player.
Might wanna get that checked out

__________________
http://i57.tinypic.com/28b4abo.jpg
DirtyDion03 is offline  
Old
01-25-2013, 10:41 PM
  #206
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Might wanna get that checked out
Perhaps.

Rare Jewel is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 12:49 AM
  #207
JVReemer
Registered User
 
JVReemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
So you're admitting that you wouldn't take a superior player because he's Russian?
No, I think that they are fairly even players. Plus let's be real here, Canadian players sell more tickets, and are lower risk.

JVReemer is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:29 AM
  #208
Terrence
Registered Slacker
 
Terrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
No, I think that they are fairly even players. Plus let's be real here, Canadian players sell more tickets, and are lower risk.
Since when do the Leafs have problems selling tickets?

__________________
Terrence is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 11:02 AM
  #209
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
No, I think that they are fairly even players. Plus let's be real here, Canadian players sell more tickets, and are lower risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Since when do the Leafs have problems selling tickets?
Sounds like the Leafs should be trading Kessel and JVR ASAP.

Get rid of those foreigners.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 12:14 PM
  #210
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,791
vCash: 500
Jones added 2 assists last night, Pulock has been very quiet of late, he has been hampered by an injury.

Side note Rielly had 2 assists.

Seems some of the World championship players have had a lull since coming back to the CJHL.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 12:59 PM
  #211
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,445
vCash: 500
Pulock's injury has made him drop his stocks but I'd like to nab him at all costs. We really lack that booming shot in the back of the team.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 01:14 PM
  #212
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Pulock's injury has made him drop his stocks but I'd like to nab him at all costs. We really lack that booming shot in the back of the team.
At all costs?!

No way. Solid prospect to develop, but he certainly isn't a "must have". Especially with Rielly, Finn, Percy, Blacker, and Gardiner in the system. Seth Jones is the only "must have" defenseman in the draft, IMO, and after him, you've got a solid group with Ristolainen, Pulock, Nurse, and Morrissy.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 01:24 PM
  #213
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Pulock's injury has made him drop his stocks but I'd like to nab him at all costs. We really lack that booming shot in the back of the team.
What we need, a big shot from the pt

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 01:35 PM
  #214
ErikP803
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 174
vCash: 500
Phanuef and Franson both have great shots from the point I think, I dont see how thats a pressing need at all.

ErikP803 is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 01:41 PM
  #215
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikP803 View Post
Phanuef and Franson both have great shots from the point I think, I dont see how thats a pressing need at all.
I think the need for a solid two-way D-man, with shutdown potential, is a far more pressing need for our defense than another rocket from the point. We need someone with the qualities of Gunnarsson, but on a high level. We need someone who can steady a pairing, while also providing puck moving ability, as well as responsible, smart defensive play.

Basically, when you have guys like Gardiner and Rielly, who like to skate the puck up the ice, and inherently take chances, you need someone with the ability to not only keep up, but to provide cover, and that's where I think the need for guys like Risto and Nurse come in. They both have solid offensive upside, and possess the potential to become solid defensive guys. They will potentially play both PP and PK. Versatility is huge on defense for the team moving forward.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 01:44 PM
  #216
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
JMcLeaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ♫d(-_-)b♫
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 17,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Pulock's injury has made him drop his stocks but I'd like to nab him at all costs. We really lack that booming shot in the back of the team.
Surely you don't actually mean at all costs lol

JMcLeaf is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 01:45 PM
  #217
Terrence
Registered Slacker
 
Terrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I think the need for a solid two-way D-man, with shutdown potential, is a far more pressing need for our defense than another rocket from the point. We need someone with the qualities of Gunnarsson, but on a high level. We need someone who can steady a pairing, while also providing puck moving ability, as well as responsible, smart defensive play.

Basically, when you have guys like Gardiner and Rielly, who like to skate the puck up the ice, and inherently take chances, you need someone with the ability to not only keep up, but to provide cover, and that's where I think the need for guys like Risto and Nurse come in. They both have solid offensive upside, and possess the potential to become solid defensive guys. They will potentially play both PP and PK. Versatility is huge on defense for the team moving forward.
Robert Hagg from Sweden sounds like that kinda player. Wouldn't be against drafting him if the Leafs are drafting in the 14-20 range, although I think the Leafs pick will be higher than that.

Terrence is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
  #218
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Robert Hagg from Sweden sounds like that kinda player. Wouldn't be against drafting him if the Leafs are drafting in the 14-20 range, although I think the Leafs pick will be higher than that.
I agree, I really like Hagg too.
I thought he was going to go higher, but he seems to have settled back down to earth.

He would be one of the top D-men for me after #13, for sure. Lots of potential and room to grow with Hagg.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 01:58 PM
  #219
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
At all costs?!

No way. Solid prospect to develop, but he certainly isn't a "must have". Especially with Rielly, Finn, Percy, Blacker, and Gardiner in the system. Seth Jones is the only "must have" defenseman in the draft, IMO, and after him, you've got a solid group with Ristolainen, Pulock, Nurse, and Morrissy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Surely you don't actually mean at all costs lol
Yea I went excessive there

It would be Ideal lol. I love him though. Nurse is the one I have ranked over Pulock though.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 02:50 PM
  #220
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikP803 View Post
Phanuef and Franson both have great shots from the point I think, I dont see how thats a pressing need at all.
Not what I was referring to, we need a weapon on the PP. Evident this year, Dion has a big shot but he is not very effective on the PP. Special teams are so important these days.

Interactif is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 02:56 PM
  #221
The Naz
With God given hands
 
The Naz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Not what I was referring to, we need a weapon on the PP. Evident this year, Dion has a big shot but he is not very effective on the PP. Special teams are so important these days.
Rielly will be good for that. His type skates the puck around, moving the PK out of position. I always think a passing PP keeps the PK in a good spot, they just have to turn in the direction of the possession.

Guys like Rielly and Gardiner can move with the puck, forcing the PP to shuffle and forcing the PK to move out of the best position, and hopefully freeing up an open man or a great shot like Kessel.

I hope Rielly develops a good shot though to keep the players honest. Expecting the pass will allow players to play off of him enough to keep position.

The Naz is online now  
Old
01-26-2013, 07:10 PM
  #222
mapes
Registered User
 
mapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 21,368
vCash: 500
Another 2 points from Drouin tonight. Any shot he leapfrogs Jones and Nate?

mapes is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 07:33 PM
  #223
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Not what I was referring to, we need a weapon on the PP. Evident this year, Dion has a big shot but he is not very effective on the PP. Special teams are so important these days.
Phaneuf is hardly the issue. The whole PP is ineffective. It`s just bad right now. Adding another hard shooter isn`t going to fix anything. Especially a rookie...

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 07:36 PM
  #224
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Another 2 points from Drouin tonight. Any shot he leapfrogs Jones and Nate?
It`s going to be hard to do but he`s definitely doing everything right to be able to do it.

I don`t think he passes Jones. I just don`t think Drouin has a complete enough game to be picked above him.

MacKinnon maybe. But again, as talented as Drouin is offensively I think the other two have an all around game that makes them so much more likely to go above him.

It`s going to be a photo finish for this draft. Jones likely going first, MacKinnon and Drouin and Barkov fighting for the 2nd spot. Maybe even Lindholm fighting for it as well.

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
01-26-2013, 10:38 PM
  #225
Kulemon
Registered User
 
Kulemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,203
vCash: 500
Elias Lindholm could be the best player from this draft when all is said and done. I just love the kid's game.

Kulemon is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.