HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Something, Something... SETH JONES!

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
I like Nichushkin, but I would take Shinkaruk over him. If Valeri's name was Micheal Smith from Edmonton, Alberta things might be different however.
Yeah, I don't think I can see the Leafs taking a Russian early on.

Too much risk involved + the management will get an earful from the fans if the guy we picked bolted to the KHL.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah, I don't think I can see the Leafs taking a Russian early on.

Too much risk involved + the management will get an earful from the fans if the guy we picked bolted to the KHL.
Keep an eye out for Robert Hagg (D) from Sweden. Could squeak into the top 12 or so when its all said and done.

Hoping to grab a high upside goaltender in the early rounds. Zach Fucale is a target.

01-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Keep an eye out for Robert Hagg (D) from Sweden. Could squeak into the top 12 or so when its all said and done.

Hoping to grab a high upside goaltender in the early rounds. Zach Fucale is a target.
Yeah, If we're out of contention, I'm hoping the Leafs trade MacArthur for a 1st round pick (if his play is good enough to warrant such a return) and grab Fucale with that pick.

We need an elite goalie prospect in the system.

We've had too much trial and error with free agent goalies.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
My eyes are already out.

He's high on my list. Which I think is on page 2.

Very smart player.

Old
01-25-2013, 10:34 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
My eyes are already out.

He's high on my list. Which I think is on page 2.

Very smart player.
Might wanna get that checked out

01-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
Might wanna get that checked out
Perhaps.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:49 AM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
So you're admitting that you wouldn't take a superior player because he's Russian?
No, I think that they are fairly even players. Plus let's be real here, Canadian players sell more tickets, and are lower risk.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
No, I think that they are fairly even players. Plus let's be real here, Canadian players sell more tickets, and are lower risk.
Since when do the Leafs have problems selling tickets?

01-26-2013, 11:02 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Since when do the Leafs have problems selling tickets?
Sounds like the Leafs should be trading Kessel and JVR ASAP.

Get rid of those foreigners.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
01-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Interactif

Jones added 2 assists last night, Pulock has been very quiet of late, he has been hampered by an injury.

Side note Rielly had 2 assists.

Seems some of the World championship players have had a lull since coming back to the CJHL.

Old
01-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Pulock's injury has made him drop his stocks but I'd like to nab him at all costs. We really lack that booming shot in the back of the team.

01-26-2013, 01:14 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Pulock's injury has made him drop his stocks but I'd like to nab him at all costs. We really lack that booming shot in the back of the team.
At all costs?!

No way. Solid prospect to develop, but he certainly isn't a "must have". Especially with Rielly, Finn, Percy, Blacker, and Gardiner in the system. Seth Jones is the only "must have" defenseman in the draft, IMO, and after him, you've got a solid group with Ristolainen, Pulock, Nurse, and Morrissy.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Interactif

Quote:
What we need, a big shot from the pt

Old
01-26-2013, 01:35 PM
ErikP803

Phanuef and Franson both have great shots from the point I think, I dont see how thats a pressing need at all.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:41 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikP803 View Post
Phanuef and Franson both have great shots from the point I think, I dont see how thats a pressing need at all.
I think the need for a solid two-way D-man, with shutdown potential, is a far more pressing need for our defense than another rocket from the point. We need someone with the qualities of Gunnarsson, but on a high level. We need someone who can steady a pairing, while also providing puck moving ability, as well as responsible, smart defensive play.

Basically, when you have guys like Gardiner and Rielly, who like to skate the puck up the ice, and inherently take chances, you need someone with the ability to not only keep up, but to provide cover, and that's where I think the need for guys like Risto and Nurse come in. They both have solid offensive upside, and possess the potential to become solid defensive guys. They will potentially play both PP and PK. Versatility is huge on defense for the team moving forward.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:44 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Surely you don't actually mean at all costs lol

Old
01-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I think the need for a solid two-way D-man, with shutdown potential, is a far more pressing need for our defense than another rocket from the point. We need someone with the qualities of Gunnarsson, but on a high level. We need someone who can steady a pairing, while also providing puck moving ability, as well as responsible, smart defensive play.

Basically, when you have guys like Gardiner and Rielly, who like to skate the puck up the ice, and inherently take chances, you need someone with the ability to not only keep up, but to provide cover, and that's where I think the need for guys like Risto and Nurse come in. They both have solid offensive upside, and possess the potential to become solid defensive guys. They will potentially play both PP and PK. Versatility is huge on defense for the team moving forward.
Robert Hagg from Sweden sounds like that kinda player. Wouldn't be against drafting him if the Leafs are drafting in the 14-20 range, although I think the Leafs pick will be higher than that.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:48 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Robert Hagg from Sweden sounds like that kinda player. Wouldn't be against drafting him if the Leafs are drafting in the 14-20 range, although I think the Leafs pick will be higher than that.
I agree, I really like Hagg too.
I thought he was going to go higher, but he seems to have settled back down to earth.

He would be one of the top D-men for me after #13, for sure. Lots of potential and room to grow with Hagg.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
At all costs?!

No way. Solid prospect to develop, but he certainly isn't a "must have". Especially with Rielly, Finn, Percy, Blacker, and Gardiner in the system. Seth Jones is the only "must have" defenseman in the draft, IMO, and after him, you've got a solid group with Ristolainen, Pulock, Nurse, and Morrissy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Surely you don't actually mean at all costs lol
Yea I went excessive there

It would be Ideal lol. I love him though. Nurse is the one I have ranked over Pulock though.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikP803 View Post
Not what I was referring to, we need a weapon on the PP. Evident this year, Dion has a big shot but he is not very effective on the PP. Special teams are so important these days.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:56 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Not what I was referring to, we need a weapon on the PP. Evident this year, Dion has a big shot but he is not very effective on the PP. Special teams are so important these days.
Rielly will be good for that. His type skates the puck around, moving the PK out of position. I always think a passing PP keeps the PK in a good spot, they just have to turn in the direction of the possession.

Guys like Rielly and Gardiner can move with the puck, forcing the PP to shuffle and forcing the PK to move out of the best position, and hopefully freeing up an open man or a great shot like Kessel.

I hope Rielly develops a good shot though to keep the players honest. Expecting the pass will allow players to play off of him enough to keep position.

Old
01-26-2013, 07:10 PM
mapes

Another 2 points from Drouin tonight. Any shot he leapfrogs Jones and Nate?

Old
01-26-2013, 07:33 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Phaneuf is hardly the issue. The whole PP is ineffective. It`s just bad right now. Adding another hard shooter isn`t going to fix anything. Especially a rookie...

Old
01-26-2013, 07:36 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Another 2 points from Drouin tonight. Any shot he leapfrogs Jones and Nate?
It`s going to be hard to do but he`s definitely doing everything right to be able to do it.

I don`t think he passes Jones. I just don`t think Drouin has a complete enough game to be picked above him.

MacKinnon maybe. But again, as talented as Drouin is offensively I think the other two have an all around game that makes them so much more likely to go above him.

It`s going to be a photo finish for this draft. Jones likely going first, MacKinnon and Drouin and Barkov fighting for the 2nd spot. Maybe even Lindholm fighting for it as well.

Old
01-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Kulemon

Elias Lindholm could be the best player from this draft when all is said and done. I just love the kid's game.

Closed Thread