HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 04:35 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It certainly seemed to me like something that was decided based on off-ice stuff. AV stressed several times that would be a consideration and only had positive things to say about Schroeder over the past 2 days. Gillis and company are the ones that figure out the cap and roster stuff, not AV.

And I'll ask again (not you, but others who attack AV), why was Schroeder still in Vancouver at 1pm when he could be flying back to Chicago early in the morning to play in their game today. Just to make him miss that game?
I wasn't one of the ones who attacked AV but I assume that Schroeder was kept because it was a difficult decision for managment. The point of my earlier post was that the odds were stacked against Schroeder based on the numbers game and who was eligible for waivers. I also think that the shortened pre-season and season works against rookie players. I suspect that many teams will stay with what they had last year. That said, I hope that he gets called back up soon.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
It certainly seemed to me like something that was decided based on off-ice stuff. AV stressed several times that would be a consideration and only had positive things to say about Schroeder over the past 2 days. Gillis and company are the ones that figure out the cap and roster stuff, not AV.
Yes, hence why I believe he will be back full-time with the team once they iron out all the tidbits of the legal and financial side of things. It seemed to me like a strict business move and not a hockey move. In the two scrimmages, and especially the last one Schroeder looked every bit as good as Hodgson did last year.

And to ask outright, you believe Schroder is a full-time roster player some point this year?

Old
01-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Chris McKinlay

There's a lot of overreaction going on here.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Moore Money
Registered Boozer

where does it say schroeder was sent down? i cant find it anywhere. is this official?

Old
01-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Lemurion

It's simple: there's no risk of losing Shroeder by sending him down now. If they had sent Ebbett down, he probably wouldn't have reached Chicago except on a visiting team. Keeping Ebbett up is the only way to ensure he stays in the system while teams are filling roster holes.

Once rosters are set, sending Ebbett becomes less of a risk, and the team doesn't want to lose him now because they will need him later in the season.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:41 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Disappointed because I have a ticket for tomorrows game and was really hoping to see Shroeder play for the first time

Guess that will have to wait a bit

Old
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
And to ask outright, you believe Schroder is a full-time roster player some point this year?
I think he's capable of it. Maybe he only gets 10 or 15 games if they prefer to go with experience when Kesler is back, but either way he will get some games at the very least.

Old
Moore Money
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
It's simple: there's no risk of losing Shroeder by sending him down now. If they had sent Ebbett down, he probably wouldn't have reached Chicago except on a visiting team. Keeping Ebbett up is the only way to ensure he stays in the system while teams are filling roster holes.

Once rosters are set, sending Ebbett becomes less of a risk, and the team doesn't want to lose him now because they will need him later in the season.
i sure hope not!

Old
01-18-2013, 04:44 PM
Moore Money
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
If Ebbett is seriously going to center our second line then this team is ****ed.
so ****ed.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:45 PM
abcdefg

Quote:

Don't think Ebbett vs Schroeder should be the issue here. Issue is they have 3 extra defensemen (+ Connauton in AHL) and 0 extra forwards.

They are essentially making the team worse (not saying Schroeder would outperform Ebbett but more competition and variation is never a bad thing) because they think it's a good idea to sit 3 barely NHL level defensemen in the press box, who won't see any ice time unless there's an injury.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:

It didn't have to be about sending Ebbett down, they could have sent Barker or Vandermeer down.

In the end, this isn't a big deal right now...but it doesn't really send a good message if Schroeder is in Chicago for any real amount of time over Ebbett.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:46 PM
pitseleh

Quote:

Ebbett couldn't be sent down without going through waivers again, so the Canucks could re-claim him. He wouldn't be on a visiting team unless the Canucks didn't want him any more.

Rosters were set at 2PM today. They could have waived him (or one of their extra defencemen) this morning and sent him down tomorrow, assuming he cleared, so that Schroeder could be recalled.

It's hard to imagine teams having less flexibility with their rosters than they will between today and tomorrow. Once games start being played, teams gain extra flexibility as players get injured and roster spots open up.

I don't think it makes much sense to waive Ebbett either (at any point, really) but it's tough to rationalize why the team thinks it would be better to waive someone else in the near future to make room for Schroeder. That is, unless they're simply willing to wait until there is an injury on the team to bring him back up.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
we have no 2nd or fourth line. This team is a complete joke.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Really? I thought it would be a decision made by AV & Gillis. They tend to always work together on roster decisions.
AV basically tipped his hand when he said there would be off-ice and salary issues that would be factored into the decision. He and Gillis have all but publicly stated that this is a cap matter and not a merit-based decision. Gillis has also said Schroeder will be back with the team soon - although when exactly that is, we don't yet know.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
What? Weise - Malhotra - Volpatti is quite good. Volpatti is the weak link but the other two are better 4th liners than most teams have (probably Top 10 or 20 4th liners in the league).

Old
01-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Pump n Dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Dissapointed that Schroeder got sent down over Ebbett, don't see the upside of taking Ebbett over Jordan.
Given how thin we are up front right now risking the loss of Ebbett to waivers cannot be justified by the difference in what Schroeder has to give at this time. Schroeder's chances of playing in the NHL this season remain excellent.

Last edited by Pump n Dump: 01-18-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Old
01-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
AV basically tipped his hand when he said there would be off-ice and salary issues that would be factored into the decision. He and Gillis have all but publicly stated that this is a cap matter and not a merit-based decision. Gillis has also said Schroeder will be back with the team soon - although when exactly that is, we don't yet know.
Our 2nd line *makeshift* got raymond 3 ****ing goals in a scrimmage against luongo, and you send down the guy who set up two of them.

I am sorry, But what if we get stomped in the 1st week, go 0-3 / 0-4, then call up JS, and we miss the playoffs by a point, It can happen.

We have NO SECOND LINE, Our 2nd line is a complete joke.

This is absolutely brutal coaching, and it's embarrassing for the organization

Old
01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Our 2nd line *makeshift* got raymond 3 ****ing goals in a scrimmage against luongo, and you send down the guy who set up two of them.

I am sorry, But what if we get stomped in the 1st week, go 0-3 / 0-4, then call up JS, and we miss the playoffs by a point, It can happen.

overreaction.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Doesn't that require another player being moved or an injury though?

Old
01-18-2013, 04:56 PM
moog35

Quote:
wow relax bud, your probably the kind of fan who wants the AV fired and whole team traded at the end of every October when the team starts out slow and then come playoff time after winning the presidents trophy your on the bandwagon in full force

Old
01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Moore Money
Registered Boozer

maybe Barker will play forward

Old
01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Outside99*

Quote:

Actually, it might be the other way around. They might press the panic button, not call him up and trade for or sign a veteran instead.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:58 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I wonder if AV wants to try to win games 1-0 so keeping Ebbett over the offensively gifted Schroeder made more sense to him? Although having said that, Schroeder has looked very good defensively as well. I really see no reason why Schroeder should have been sent down. Are we really worried that someone would have actually claimed Andrew ****ing Ebbett off waivers??

Old
abcdefg

Quote:
Schroeder is waiting for injury. That's it.

Can you guys stop quoting Lucbourdon please.

Old
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Doesn't that require another player being moved or an injury though?
Ebbett likely back with the Wolves in a week or so is my guess.

Closed Thread