HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

vCash: 500
I don't agree with Ebbett over Schroeder. Ebbett is what he is, an excellent AHL player who doesn't embarrass himelf in the NHL, but isn't actually good either.

Schroeder still could be something more than that, and seems ready for the chance based on his AHL play and his performance in camp/scrimmage. So yeah, I don't really understand this. In the end however my guess is it makes minimal difference as far as Ebbett vs. Schroeder since Schroeder is a rookie.

What matters is what Gillis is able to get for Luongo.

The games will probably be ugly to watch for awhile aside from the Sedins shifts. Will need to play very tight defensive hockey. Can't say I'll be going out of my way to watch all the games until either Kesler returns or a Luongo trade goes down.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
overreaction.
It can happen, it's not guaranteed we will come out guns blazing and win our first 3 games.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:02 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Ebbett better be pretty freaking good.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Land O Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Ebbett likely back with the Wolves in a week or so is my guess.
Why do you guess that? You think he will be waived within a few days then?

Old
01-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I wonder if AV wants to try to win games 1-0 so keeping Ebbett over the offensively gifted Schroeder made more sense to him? Although having said that, Schroeder has looked very good defensively as well. I really see no reason why Schroeder should have been sent down. Are we really worried that someone would have actually claimed Andrew ****ing Ebbett off waivers??
Ebbett isn't very good defensively so I doubt that's the reason. I think it's already been established what the reason is but for some reason people feel the need to attribute this to AV.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Verviticus

no way man schroeder vs ebbett is the difference between losing 3-0 and 4-0 to the duck and oilers or winning...... 4-3 and 5-4?

Old
01-18-2013, 05:06 PM
BorussiaDortmund

Upset, disappointed, dumbfounded... etc.

(IMO) Hopefully there's more to this then just sending Schroeder down, otherwise this looks to be the exact same situation as the Corrado WJC cut - the coaching staff and management went into camp knowing full well what the roster would look like ahead of time, and failing to change when other (and better) options were clearly evident during camp.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
no way man schroeder vs ebbett is the difference between losing 3-0 and 4-0 to the duck and oilers or winning...... 4-3 and 5-4?
If our 2nd line does not score in the first 3 games, then JS would make a difference. I have no doubt in my mind JS would flourish.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
If our 2nd line does not score in the first 3 games, then JS would make a difference. I have no doubt in my mind JS would flourish.
You have no doubt in your mind that a player whose AHL career production hovers in the 0.5-0.6 PPG would flourish in the NHL? You must think that PPG players in the AHL are generational talents...

Old
01-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
It can happen, it's not guaranteed we will come out guns blazing and win our first 3 games.
We haven't even played a game yet...give them a chance to suck first.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:19 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
You have no doubt in your mind that a player whose AHL career production hovers in the 0.5-0.6 PPG would flourish in the NHL? You must think that PPG players in the AHL are generational talents...
Hodgson was no saint with the Moose either and now look at him.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
i dont even give a **** were playing tomorrow anymore

Old
01-18-2013, 05:32 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Ebbett isn't very good defensively so I doubt that's the reason. I think it's already been established what the reason is but for some reason people feel the need to attribute this to AV.
Why is Ebbett more likely to be picked off waivers today than he is next week? Even with Booth and Kesler on IR we are at 23 for our roster. I don't expect Schroeder to be up anytime soon, and even if he is it'll probably be in a crap meaningless role as a 4th line winger, just so people can complain when he doesn't put up points playing with Aaron Volpatti and Manny Malhotra.

01-18-2013, 05:32 PM
racerjoe

It's hard to get people rough waivers right now. Sounds to me like the team did not want to lose one of e nine defencemen the currently have on e roster. I would guess come Monday Barker gets sent down, we keep Vandermear for his ability to play forward and D, along with his toughness, and bring Jordan back up.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Sigh, we all knew this is what AV would do.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:34 PM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

vCash: 53
Should've known Schroeder was getting cut...

Old
01-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Land O Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
It's hard to get people rough waivers right now. Sounds to me like the team did not want to lose one of e nine defencemen the currently have on e roster. I would guess come Monday Barker gets sent down, we keep Vandermear for his ability to play forward and D, along with his toughness, and bring Jordan back up.
Wouldn't that mean you either need to keep Ebbet on the 23 man or waive him? Leaving you guys with 13 forwards?

Old
01-18-2013, 05:43 PM
var

as per Farhan, Ebbett is staying mainly due to him having to clear waivers if he's sent down. At minimum, if Ebbett's serviceable on the second line, having Schroeder on the Wolves allows management to replace an injured player. Lose Ebbett to waivers and the team can be in trouble.

If this was on AV or an all-contracts-being-equal situation, they'd probably stay with JS.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are

I wonder how Schroeder feels right now. Arguably two training camps in a row he's played well enough to earn a spot on the roster but outside forces have conspired against him. Happens once, okay. Twice, I'd be pretty pissed.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Intoewsables

Guess we're not waiving Barker then...

Old
01-18-2013, 05:50 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Why is Ebbett more likely to be picked off waivers today than he is next week? Even with Booth and Kesler on IR we are at 23 for our roster. I don't expect Schroeder to be up anytime soon, and even if he is it'll probably be in a crap meaningless role as a 4th line winger, just so people can complain when he doesn't put up points playing with Aaron Volpatti and Manny Malhotra.
Yes. The Canucks are going to intentionally make Schroeder fail because they want to stick it to him. Keep it up.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by var View Post
Lose Ebbett to waivers and the team can be in trouble.
Ebbett has some value but I don't think it's to that extent.

Old
orcatown

Schroeder must feel a little like Corrado after the World Junior Camp.

Pretty obvious this team was picked long before this week. Maybe the additions of Vandermeer and Barker had some impact on the situation but the forward positions seemed already allotted.

I guess you can try to justify the retention of Ebbett on the basis of trying to keep some depth at the center position. However, I have no faith in Ebbett and really wouldn't care if we lost him. I believe if you have Ebbett in your top 6 you are dead anyways and you might as well a least throw the dice on someone like Schroeder or try to convert someone else the position.

Moreover, the key to the choice was, it seemed to me, how the player did in his own zone. And this is the where Ebbett has always had problems. He can produce a little offense but has never made it long term in the NHL b/c of the problems in his own end. I think the play of Schroeder this week and in Chicago illustrated more ability to play in his own zone. I fear that the Canucks are going to get badly burnt in the defensive zone with Ebbett and thus even in the short term the decision doesn't make a lot of sense.

Hopefully Ebbett makes me eat my words but I don't believe he has the strength or speed to compete adequately at the NHL level.

Old
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
i dont even give a **** were playing tomorrow anymore
Yes. Perspective is important.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:53 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by var View Post
as per Farhan, Ebbett is staying mainly due to him having to clear waivers if he's sent down. At minimum, if Ebbett's serviceable on the second line, having Schroeder on the Wolves allows management to replace an injured player. Lose Ebbett to waivers and the team can be in trouble.

If this was on AV or an all-contracts-being-equal situation, they'd probably stay with JS.
This is basically obvious, since they didn't cut Schroeder along with the other cuts. They obviously were trying to sort out how to keep him with the team and couldn't make it work.

Closed Thread