HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
why is Kuzma in love with ebbet?

Old
01-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Hodgson is too slow and not strong enough on his skates. He doesnt fight. He doesnt hit and while his offensive upside is better, Schroeder will make the better pro once he settles in.

Watch and see. Hodgson may very get 30 goals with his first line juicy half boards power play time, but he will also be injured 1/2 the time. Hes been injured WAY too much for a guy that young to turn around and have a healthy NHL career.

He also pouts when things dont go his way. He also does not play the wing well either. I do not see Hodgson being a very good pro at all.
I think "he doesn't fight, doesn't hit, doesn't play wing" is completely irrelevant, "he pouts too much" is completely made up, "he's an injury risk" is completely valid, and that "he's too slow/not strong enough" are flaws that are/will eventually be overshadowed by his far superior hockey sense and skill, personally. They'll both likely turn out to be solid players, Schroeder definitely the more well-rounded guy, but I don't think their upside is very close, personally.

I don't see any chance in hell that Schroeder will be nearly as dynamic of an offensive player (although for some of the reasons you've pointed out, Hodgson could turn out to be somewhat boom or bust), but that's okay.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-19-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old
01-19-2013, 05:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Kinda sad that no matter what the Canucks do people will always find some way to justify it. Even something as weird as basically admitting a guy beats out another guy but we're going to send him down anyways and ice an inferior team. Oh well.

01-19-2013, 05:42 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Kinda sad that no matter what the Canucks do people will always find some way to justify it. Even something as weird as basically admitting a guy beats out another guy but we're going to send him down anyways and ice an inferior team. Oh well.
This ****ing happens multiple times league-wide every single training camp. Holy ****. Stop crying.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
This ****ing happens multiple times league-wide every single training camp. Holy ****. Stop crying.
I'm sorry that it really bothers me that the team I cheer for elected to stick with an AHL journeyman who got outplayed in camp by our former 1st round pick, in a key role on the team.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I'm sorry that it really bothers me that the team I cheer for elected to stick with an AHL journeyman who got outplayed in camp by our former 1st round pick, in a key role on the team.
Yes, the short number of games that this will last for will clearly impact this franchise forever and ensure that we never (and I mean, NEVER) even come close to winning the Cup. Time to totally freakout and go riot downtown.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Yes, the short number of games that this will last for will clearly impact this franchise forever and ensure that we never (and I mean, NEVER) even come close to winning the Cup. Time to totally freakout and go riot downtown.
You say it's a short number of games, but do you know for sure?

Old
01-19-2013, 05:47 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with it bothering you. I'm not thrilled about it. Most people aren't. It's the pathetic "oh no, Jordan Schroeder should demand a trade! This franchise is doomed to lose forever! Oh the horror!" ******** that's just downright embarrassing, really.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:49 PM
AmazingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Even though he's a smart player with decent skills, Schroeder's hockey sense and puck skill is far inferior to Hodgsons, IMO.

He may have a better two-way game, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would suggest that Schroeder has 1st line upside, whereas Hodgson, despite his flaws clearly has that ability, IMO.
Even if Hodgson has 1st line upside, he didn't have 1st line upside for this team.

Who was Hodgson traded for? Kassian. Who's our best prospect right now? Jensen. Who was just drafted in 2012? Gaunce. The theme among these three? Size.

Gillis just spent two years having skilled players get rattled by big players who mix physicality with scoring and good defensive play. His hands are tied with the Sedins, but his hands weren't with Hodgson. Trading Hodgson and letting Ehrhoff walk in favor of Kassian and Garrison reflected a shift in Gillis' philosophy from skill and speed to size. Whether he's right in the long run is anyone's guess.

Kassian at 60 points > Hodgson at 80 points because Kassian offers things that Hodgson does not. However, Kassian has more risk at this point because he's more raw. Where does Schroeder fit into all of this?

Probably just a hold over until our big 3 prospects develop.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:49 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
There's nothing wrong with it bothering you. I'm not thrilled about it. Most people aren't. It's the pathetic "oh no, Jordan Schroeder should demand a trade! This franchise is doomed to lose forever! Oh the horror!" ******** that's just downright embarrassing, really.
Not really. What I'm most embarrassed about is this team elected to go with a journeyman AHL center as our 2C over a promising young prospect former 1st round pick who greatly outplayed that journeyman C.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Zammer

Quote:
Not really. What I'm most embarrassed about is this team elected to go with a journeyman AHL center as our 2C over a promising young prospect former 1st round pick who greatly outplayed that journeyman C.
Shouldn't we wait until we see them play the first game until we complain? By next Friday (or sooner) we could see a completely different second line. If we win tonight is it still that big of a deal?

Old
01-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Yet this crappy journeyman centre is a comparable player to Schroeder at this point in time and the difference contribution wise will likely be negligible.

We sent down a 5 and kept a 4.5. Big deal. This will have absolutely zero impact on the Canucks season.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:01 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Yet this crappy journeyman centre is a comparable player to Schroeder at this point in time and the difference contribution wise will likely be negligible.

We sent down a 5 and kept a 4.5. Big deal. This will have absolutely zero impact on the Canucks season.
I disagree with you completely. Schroeder is a lot better than Ebbett.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I disagree with you completely. Schroeder is a lot better than Ebbett.
Schroeder is 'a lot better' yet has zero games in the NHL? He could be better but he certainly has not proven he's better at the NHL level. He will get a chance to do that pretty soon.

Matt Frattin has scored at a 45 goal pace since entering the AHL and he didn't make the Leafs roster. Should help add a little perspective here.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:10 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
I'd say the problem is that every other team gives their young guys a shot (see Laughton, Scott), regardless of the importance of a fast start.

Give the kid a chance to succeed or fail. Atleast we'll know either way.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:16 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Schroeder is 'a lot better' yet has zero games in the NHL? He could be better but he certainly has not proven he's better at the NHL level. He will get a chance to do that pretty soon.

Matt Frattin has scored at a 45 goal pace since entering the AHL and he didn't make the Leafs roster. Should help add a little perspective here.
he has zero games because stupid roster choices like this. he SHOULD be playing over Ebbet. so stupid to say that might as well never play any rookies since they don;t have "experince". How's he going to get proven if people like you thinks like that and never give him a chance. Frattin go beat out by Kadri... who has less NHL games than him.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:16 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

He has zero games at the NHL level because our team thinks it's smarter to go with a journeyman 2nd line center than it is for a promising young rookie. How's he supposed to do anything at the NHL if we don't give him an opportunity?

I don't care what the Leafs do. If your best example is to mention what one of the worst teams in the league is doing that doesn't make it look like the Canucks made a bright move. Another team, the Buffalo Sabres who are pretty thin at C named Mikhail Grigorenko to their starting roster.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
he has zero games because stupid roster choices like this. he SHOULD be playing over Ebbet. so stupid to say that might as well never play any rookies since they don;t have "experince". How's he going to get proven if people like you thinks like that and never give him a chance. Frattin go beat out by Kadri... who has less NHL games than him.
I'm not saying he shouldn't get an opportunity, I'm saying it's far too early to say he's a much better player than Andrew Ebbett at this point. There's just not much separating the 2 and going with Ebbett over Schroeder for a few games will have absolutely no bearing on the Canucks season.

This move was due to roster implications and the Canucks not wanting to lose depth. Schroeder will be up sooner than later to get his shot.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:20 PM
thecupismine

Holy some people need to relax. There's no way we're keeping 9 defensemen up for an extended period of time. Once that situation is settled, Schroeder will be back up and he'll get his chance. He definitely outplayed Ebbet, but with the Canucks already lacking depth in the minors, two or three extra games with Schroeder instead of Ebbet but having to lose someone probably isn't worth.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
He has zero games at the NHL level because our team thinks it's smarter to go with a journeyman 2nd line center than it is for a promising young rookie.
The biggest reason Schroeder has no games under his belt is because he plays for the best team in the NHL with a terrific group of centremen.

Had he dominated the AHL at any point over the last 3 years he would already have NHL experience. He's played pretty well this season and that will be enough for himk to get a shot. I would be willing to bet Schroeder will be up in Vancouver before game 10 of the regular season, probably before game 5.

Detroit has kept far better players than Schroeder on the farm. That's what happens when you play for a winning organization.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
The biggest reason Schroeder has no games under his belt is because he plays for the best team in the NHL with a terrific group of centremen.

Had he dominated the AHL at any point over the last 3 years he would already have NHL experience. He's played pretty well this season and that will be enough for himk to get a shot. I would be willing to bet Schroeder will be up in Vancouver before game 10 of the regular season, probably before game 5.

Detroit has kept far better players than Schroeder on the farm. That's what happens when you play for a winning organization.
I gotta go with this as well. logic is sound.

What I am thinking from watching Schroeder is that he conforms to every situation he is in. In other words, he can and will develop at the NHL level and hes one of these guys who may be a better pro than he was a junior. At 22 he needs to play in the NHL now. I think he is fast enough and he will now learn more from being up here.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Spectrefire

Schroeder's not listed on Chicago's roster for tonight.

I think he's still in Vancouver.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:41 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
Schroeder's not listed on Chicago's roster for tonight.

I think he's still in Vancouver.
AV got him put on the no-fly list.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:45 PM
StilesBC

I'm embarrassed to be cheering for the same team as you bunch of cry-babies and armchair GMs.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
You say it's a short number of games, but do you know for sure?
Complain when it doesn't happen and we aren't offered any explanation about what's happening right now. The situation is far too cloudy to confidently and arrogantly proclaim that they've made a huge mistake and that you know better.

If this lasts more than a few games and nothing comes to light to justify it, then I agree with you entirely that it's a complete question-mark of a move. Until then, you're acting pretty arrogant and hyperbolically jumping the gun in proclaiming that the sky is falling about something that none of us enough information to base a real solid opinion around.

I understand and agree with the skepticism/raised eyebrow about this, but your "bottom line" attitude about this particular issue is pretty childish, IMO.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-19-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Closed Thread