HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 12:55 AM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Why did Lapierre put on another 20lbs? I seem to recall he put on weight last offseason as well. He performed admirably, started fighting, took boxing lessons. Really didn't seem like another 20lbs was necessary.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:55 AM
Orca Smash

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Lapierre is very underwhelming right now. So is Malhotra. I think Lappy will get into it. I remember similar play from him last year early on I think he just takes a while to get going.

Higgins and Hansen seemed fine to me, both nights.
Would you put higgins on the 2nd with kassian and schroeder if he gets called up? Thats what I would like to see but I have known to be to tough on raymond.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:58 AM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Why did Lapierre put on another 20lbs? I seem to recall he put on weight last offseason as well. He performed admirably, started fighting, took boxing lessons. Really didn't seem like another 20lbs was necessary.
I guess he thought it would make him more of an impact hitter? I don't know if the extra weight is what's hurting him. He just seems to take a while to get into the rhythm. Even longer than most of our guys so it's not surprising the lack of a training camp would hurt him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Would you put higgins on the 2nd with kassian and schroeder if he gets called up? Thats what I would like to see but I have known to be to tough on raymond.
I would keep Raymond with Schroeder. Their speed could work well together. Plus it's our best hope of turning Raymond useful.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Lapierre is very underwhelming right now. So is Malhotra. I think Lappy will get into it. I remember similar play from him last year early on — I think he just takes a while to get going.

Higgins and Hansen seemed fine to me, both nights.
I think every line other than the Sedin line plays terrible in those two games, that's what we get for not having pre-season games and short training camp.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
I guess he thought it would make him more of an impact hitter? I don't know if the extra weight is what's hurting him. He just seems to take a while to get into the rhythm. Even longer than most of our guys so it's not surprising the lack of a training camp would hurt him.

I would keep Raymond with Schroeder. Their speed could work well together. Plus it's our best hope of turning Raymond useful.
I guess thats true, the speed and chemistry did look good albeit in scrimmage. I forgot about that.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:06 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
^ Plus we already know that Higgins has good chemistry with Hansen, and Hansen with Lapierre. So yeah, the potential to help Raymond is there if Schroeder is centering him. MayRay has a better shot than Higgins too IMO and you want to make the best use of JS's playmaking abilities.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:13 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
^ Plus we already know that Higgins has good chemistry with Hansen, and Hansen with Lapierre. So yeah, the potential to help Raymond is there if Schroeder is centering him. MayRay has a better shot than Higgins too IMO and you want to make the best use of JS's playmaking abilities.
Would help both JS and Kassian to have a scorer on their line. They're both pass first players when they have someone who can finish.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Scouter

vCash: 85
Schroeder had great chemistry with Raymond and you send him down, treated Grabner like crap, gets traded, turns into a star, treated Hodgson like crap, gets traded, plays on the top line, and now this, do you not like young players.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:17 AM
canuck4life16
NHL=HYDRA

Quote:
Would help both JS and Kassian to have a scorer on their line. They're both pass first players when they have someone who can finish.
a scorer is someone like jensen but he in sweden........he fit the role perefectly......better than Raymond...has the size too

Old
01-21-2013, 01:18 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

I agree, we should fire AV before the damage is being too extended.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:20 AM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstairs View Post
Schroeder had great chemistry with Raymond and you send him down, treated Grabner like crap, gets traded, turns into a star, treated Hodgson like crap, gets traded, plays on the top line, and now this, do you not like young players.
To be fair with Hodgson, Gillis didn't know Kesler would be sidelined again, if Kesler isn't hurt, we're not even having this conversation because there isn't any holes up the middle for us.

It sucks that we have Ebbett as a 2nd line center right now, and maybe instead of signing a guy like Derek Joslin we should've been looking for depth centers, I think that Gillis and AV haven't had much room to work with.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
01-21-2013, 01:21 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
I don't get what AV has to do with this. Schroeder was sent down by Gillis due to the waiver situation. Gillis also signed Barker. AV said that he doesn't want to carry 9 D for long and expects Schroeder back. Man, I'm not an AV fan as anyone can tell by my post history but people find the silliest things to blame him for.

Also, it's 2 freaking games. If he's not back by the end of this coming week then we can start complaining but for all we know Schroeder is likely to be back this Wednesday. He missed the Wolves game yesterday even though he was sent down — that to me hints at a call up coming very soon.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:23 AM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
a scorer is someone like jensen but he in sweden........he fit the role perefectly......better than Raymond...has the size too
We have no clue if he's NHL ready yet, I'm glad he's having success in Europe but I'd rather keep it that way for now. No point of dragging him out of his groove to come here to play Top-6 for a month then get scratched or make 4th line appearances for the rest of the season. His development in Europe is going well, I wanna keep it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Let's not jump the gun, Think of what AV has done for this organization, we've lost the first two games of the season, there's still 46 games to go.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:24 AM
Samzilla

Quote:
SEL season's over in early march.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:29 AM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
To be fair with Hodgson, Gillis didn't know Kesler would be sidelined again, if Kesler isn't hurt, we're not even having this conversation because there isn't any holes up the middle for us.

It sucks that we have Ebbett as a 2nd line center right now, and maybe instead of signing a guy like Derek Joslin we should've been looking for depth centers, I think that Gillis and AV haven't had much room to work with.
Of course Gillis could not know that, my point was that they traded a 1st/2nd liner for a 2nd/3rd liner.

It's as you said though, Ebbett is not a 2nd line center, Schroeder is right now more of a 2nd line center than Ebbett, they are both on 2 way deals, what the heck do they have against Schroeder that they won't play him in the NHL right now, give him a chance at least, it's just silly at this point, making their best prospects play in the AHL when they are maybe ready for the NHL.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:31 AM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

Quote:
Of course Gillis could not know that, my point was that they traded a 1st/2nd liner for a 2nd/3rd liner.

It's as you said though, Ebbett is not a 2nd line center, Schroeder is right now more of a 2nd line center than Ebbett, they are both on 2 way deals, what the heck do they have against Schroeder that they won't play him in the NHL right now, give him a chance at least, it's just silly at this point, making their best prospects play in the AHL when they are maybe ready for the NHL.
Oh deffinately, I'm all for seeing Schroeder on the 2nd line over Ebbett.

Hell I'd rather see Lapierre on the 2nd line over Ebbett for that matter.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:31 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
I don't really get that. Kassian is a year younger and his last season was better than Hodgson's 10-11 season. His start to this season is exactly the same as Hodgson's start to last season (1goal in 2 games, Hodgson had 1 assist in 2 games).

Old
01-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Oh deffinately, I'm all for seeing Schroeder on the 2nd line over Ebbett.

Hell I'd rather see Lapierre on the 2nd line over Ebbett for that matter.
The only reason I can come up with is, that because it's such a short season, and every game matters, that they would rather go with someone who has NHL experience than someone who does not.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:37 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
I don't really get that. Kassian is a year younger and his last season was better than Hodgson's 10-11 season. His start to this season is exactly the same as Hodgson's start to last season (1goal in 2 games, Hodgson had 1 assist in 2 games).
Why do people keep using Hodgson's first 10 games as a comparable? We all know what happened, in the first 10 games he wasn't all that great. Then what? Then he settled in and REALLY found his game.

Yes Kassian will need some time to settle in and I'm sure he'll be better but just because he doesn't produce (like Hodgson) in the first 10 games, doesn't mean he's going to be great the rest of the year (like Hodgson).

It feels like comparing Raymond to Lupul and believing that since their stats are similar that Raymond too will break out and be a PPG player.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Why do people keep using Hodgson's first 10 games as a comparable? We all know what happened, in the first 10 games he wasn't all that great. Then what? Then he settled in and REALLY found his game.

Yes Kassian will need some time to settle in and I'm sure he'll be better but just because he doesn't produce (like Hodgson) in the first 10 games, doesn't mean he's going to be great the rest of the year (like Hodgson).

It feels like comparing Raymond to Lupul and believing that since their stats are similar that Raymond too will break out and be a PPG player.
Maybe because it took Hodgson those 10 games to figure out the NHL a little bit better? Why do you think Kassian can't do the same?

Hell, he has 1 goal in 2 games while playing on a crap line for most of that time and with no PP time. For all we know he'll have better first 10 games than Hodgson did. He had better first year in the AHL and better first year in the NHL... No reason he can't have a better or comparable season this year.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:38 AM
canuck4life16
NHL=HYDRA

I am thinking Hodgson is more suited for the East as there are more skilled player in most team unlike the Western team, it is a bit more physical that is why we have Kassasin. There is still skill but there is more team here that is physical in term of those who are playoff contention......

Last edited by canuck4life16: 01-21-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 01:40 AM
Samzilla

Quote:
The only reason I can come up with is, that because it's such a short season, and every game matters, that they would rather go with someone who has NHL experience than someone who does not.
Cheechoo has NHL experience too but I don't see us trying to get him as a winger. Ebbett can't handle the load as a 2nd line centre. It's not fair to him, it's not fair to the team.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:40 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
I am thinking Hodgson is more suited for the East as there are more skilled player in most team unlike the team, it is a bit more physical that is why we have Kassasin. There is still skill but there is more team here that is physical in term of those who are playoff contention......
Yup, the West is definitely more physical. I would also slay it's a bit slower with teams like Phoenix, Blues and the Sharks (due to a combination of player speed and style of play). The East can be very run and gun at times.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:42 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
I'll be stoked to see another playmaker added to the lineup... not enough of it IMO.

Fully expecting one of Barker or Vandermeer to be waived (would prefer it be Barker) tomorrow and JS recalled. Not sure what they needed to hang on to the extra guy for when there were probably quite a few options on the waiver wire that are just as good, if not better.

Quote:
I don't get what AV has to do with this. Schroeder was sent down by Gillis due to the waiver situation. Gillis also signed Barker. AV said that he doesn't want to carry 9 D for long and expects Schroeder back.

Man, I'm not an AV fan as anyone can tell by my post history but people find the silliest things to blame him for.
I'd save my breath/fingers? tbh... it's already been mentioned ad nauseum but people don't seem to be reading this thread.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:47 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
This definitely has to play into someone making hockey decisions (and not us forum goers who ALWAYS want the young guy with potential).

But even in his young career I have to believe Schroeder has more pro experience playing on the 2nd line than Ebbett no? (though I could be very wrong as Ebbett could be one of those AHL stars aka: Krog)

Closed Thread