HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
tear it up at .6 PPG?
Sadly, for the Wolves, that is tearing it up. #fireArniel

Old
01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Sadly, for the Wolves, that is tearing it up. #fireArniel
Keep in mind that the AHL through the first 30 games was a lot more competitive. It's gone down in quality by a huge amount. Games are far slower and less skilled. Wouldn't surprise me if he could go back now and put up PPG or more. Plus there's no one in the way for the #1C spot.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:16 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Keep in mind that the AHL through the first 30 games was a lot more competitive. It's gone down in quality by a huge amount. Games are far slower and less skilled. Wouldn't surprise me if he could go back now and put up PPG or more. Plus there's no one in the way for the #1C spot.
Would agree that Schroeder is one of those players who might put up the same if not better numbers in the NHL simply due to competent wingers?

Old
01-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Virtanen2Horvat
BoHorvat53

vCash: 589
Schroeder but if.....

Alright so we all know everyone wants Schroeder in and Ebbett out. But I was wondering if Schroeder does get called up and for some reason something goes wrong or does not work out then what do we do? I would say sign Arnott or maybe Langkow for 1 year?

Old
01-22-2013, 12:12 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

By that time, Kesler will hopefully be back. Or Higgins, Raymond, and Burrows play on a line together with Higgins or Raymond centering but that's the worst case scenario.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
it'll work

Old
01-22-2013, 12:14 AM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
By that time, Kesler will hopefully be back. Or Higgins, Raymond, and Burrows play on a line together with Higgins or Raymond centering but that's the worst case scenario.
I would have taken higgins as 2nd line C any day of the week over Ebbett. Higgins is a versatile player that would probably up his game if there was more pressure on him to help out the team.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:14 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Everybody calm down

in before the "moved"

Old
01-22-2013, 12:19 AM
Land O Lakes

Schroeder might not "wow" right away but he won't negatively impact your team. His skillset and hockey IQ are too damn high.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:19 AM
Bieksa#3

Give him a shot, he's paid his dues in the minors for the last 2 and a half seasons. He's probably not going to develop any further with the mess that's happening on the farm team.

It's time for him to be given an opportunity and hope he runs with it similar to what Hodgson did last season.

He has a few pros going for him that Hodgson didn't.

I feel like AV actually likes Schroeder regardless of his size. He may get a fair look before anything happens.

More than anything is that he is a terrific skater and he's much more in tuned to playing some defense.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:28 AM
BrandonL

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
I would have taken higgins as 2nd line C any day of the week over Ebbett. Higgins is a versatile player that would probably up his game if there was more pressure on him to help out the team.
Agreed.

Considering the lack of healthy top six forwards on this team right now, I definitely thought Higgins would have at least been given the opportunity to center the 2nd line.

That being said, I hope Schroeder is given an opportunity first. Preferably longer than 1-2 games, which is probably what we can expect with AV.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:30 AM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

vCash: 400
Arnott for #3C! Lapierre needs a mentor IMO

Old
01-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Well Kassian did make the WJ team.

Was he really overhyped though, he was a top 10 pick, and those are usually supposed to be pretty good.
He was 13th I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I'll feel like you're forgetting something big:
Yeah but this isn't what I mean, Kassian wasn't the best player in the OHL like Coho was and he wasn't ESPN prospect of the year or whatever and he wasn't (arguablly) the best player in the WJ tournament he was in. And he wasn't considered Stamkos but without the explosive speed.

Kassian did have some junior success no doubt but it didn't lead to the expectations that Coho's did, and that was my point.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:36 AM
CP
Thou shalt not Tank

If he can play center well in the NHL, they go from a team with one offensive center threat to a team with three, once Kesler returns. That is the best case, but definitely worth experimenting to find out what they have.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
So what was the point on sending Schroeder down for two games to keep Vandermeer in the press box?
This is just my guess - but teams were in the process of changing their lineups. Adding players and ditching others. Maybe if a guy like Vandermeer was available at that time, a team ditches a lesser light in favour of getting him.

Now, all the rosters have been set at their 23-man limits. Perhaps MG figures the heat is off and maybe Vandermeer can slip through?

Just a theory.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:39 AM
Hammer79

They'll move a winger to 2C (Burrows?) if neither Ebbett or Schroeder can do it. I doubt it gets to that point though.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:41 AM
Spectrefire

I don't understand why everyone brings up Schroeder's size as an issue. In a league with guys like Martin St.Louis can be an elite player, and Nathan Gerbe can be an everyday player, size shouldn't be an enourmous issue. Even more the fact with Schroeder, is that unlike Ebbett who's just as small, Schroeder has a ton of body strength to compensate. He's short, but he shouldn't by any stretch of the imagination considered weak.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:43 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
They'll move a winger to 2C (Burrows?) if neither Ebbett or Schroeder can do it. I doubt it gets to that point though.
Dear god no. Burrows has been equally as bad as Ebbett.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
I don't understand why everyone brings up Schroeder's size as an issue. In a league with guys like Martin St.Louis can be an elite player, and Nathan Gerbe can be an everyday player, size shouldn't be an enourmous issue. Even more the fact with Schroeder, is that unlike Ebbett who's just as small, Schroeder has a ton of body strength to compensate. He's short, but he shouldn't by any stretch of the imagination considered weak.
Size helps but if you have good skill to make up for it, no reason to be a knock against him.

Look at ennis. Watched ennis when he played in my city and he is turning into a very good player in buffalo.

Old
01-22-2013, 12:57 AM
Blue Suede Shoes
hound dog

Quote:
To add to this, Schroeder is a bit over 5'8. Hodgson is a bit over 5'10. When they are already well below average NHL height, it doesn't make much difference if he's 5'8 or 5'9 or 5'10.

They are both pretty strong. So I think if Hodgson can be successful, being short, there is no reason why Schroeder can't also be successful being short. All it means is Schroeder isn't going to physically punish anyone - but Hodgson sure as hell isn't either.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:03 AM
CanadianPirate

Quote:
Exactly. There is a difference between being frail and being short.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:27 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
To add to this, Schroeder is a bit over 5'8. Hodgson is a bit over 5'10. When they are already well below average NHL height, it doesn't make much difference if he's 5'8 or 5'9 or 5'10.

They are both pretty strong. So I think if Hodgson can be successful, being short, there is no reason why Schroeder can't also be successful being short. All it means is Schroeder isn't going to physically punish anyone - but Hodgson sure as hell isn't either.
Schroeder isn't gonna push anyone around. But he isn't gonna get pushed around either. From what I have seen he protects the puck really well. And at the training I was at, he looked like one of the widest players on the team.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:45 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Size isn't the end-all, be-all of playing in the NHL. But as a Center, it's always going to be a huge struggle for a guy as small as Schroeder to handle the bigger forwards in the league down low in his own zone. When you're talking about say, Getzlaf/Perry/Ryan types for example...Schroeder may be able to keep himself in the right position defensively, but at some points he is simply going to get bullied out of the way.

Again, that's not to say small players can't succeed...but it is a significant disadvantage. Particularly at Center, in the Western Conference, and on a team that plays the sort of style the Canucks do.

Old
01-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Size isn't the end-all, be-all of playing in the NHL. But as a Center, it's always going to be a huge struggle for a guy as small as Schroeder to handle the bigger forwards in the league down low in his own zone. When you're talking about say, Getzlaf/Perry/Ryan types for example...Schroeder may be able to keep himself in the right position defensively, but at some points he is simply going to get bullied out of the way.

Again, that's not to say small players can't succeed...but it is a significant disadvantage. Particularly at Center, in the Western Conference, and on a team that plays the sort of style the Canucks do.
Agreed. He's going to have to be really good positionally and produce points at a decent rate to become a success. It's pretty obvious the type of 3rd line centre AV prefers, but he seems to be positive on Schroeder, so here's hoping he has some patience. It's not like any of the in-house alternatives are going to be much better.

Old
01-22-2013, 02:32 AM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
Would be nice if he can come into the lineup and be our version of Clauide Giroux....maybe that is asking too much and they were both draft 22th overall in their respective draft

Closed Thread