HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 04:33 PM
  #926
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 58,382
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
WHL 70 89 108 197

Those are Ronnings stats prior to the nhl. Sure its the WHL, but do you think schroeder would get near that in the whl while he was that age. I personally dont.

197 points in 70 games. He was a player who made his line what it was. Most top players can carry lines in lower leagues. Then all those players who carry lines goto the nhl and play with one another. If youre dependent on players in the ahl. PP or not. Then the likeliness youre going to be a player who nets 869 pts in 1137 games, is very slim.

Youre going to be REAL disappointed, you actually believe Schroeder is going to be this all star dont you

When I say hes no ronning, you start bringing up his 'pretty' good ES points :/

I understand you like him but youre reaching now, comparing him to players like that
Based on this, Ryan Getzlaf is doomed to never be better than Cliff Ronning.

__________________
Please have mercy on us Canucks fans! Fire Benning! Fire Linden! Fire Weisbrod! #Bexit #Lexit #Wexit
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 04:35 PM
  #927
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Based on this, Ryan Getzlaf is doomed to never be better than Cliff Ronning.
Getzlaf is a 6'4 220 lb titan who's obviously better suited for the NHL than a Ronning or a Schroeder.

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 04:36 PM
  #928
Pseudonymous*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
If he has what it takes then he'll impress even in those limited minutes. Just like Kassian did on the Ebbett line which was also given 4th line ice-time.



Didn't say anything about Ronning, did I? Just quoted your post to continue the conversation. But if you want me to weigh in on those stats. It was a very different time. You might remember a certain Taylor Hall who never even made it in the NHL after having 142 points at that level. WHL was VERY high-scoring back then.
Considering anytime anybody has a more realistic outlook on schroeder, you usually respond with his ES points so if im saying hes no ronning and you bring up his pretty decent ES ppg pace, yeah im going to assume youre comparing the two.

and yeah youre probably right about it being more high scoring. and i guess its a little harder to compare the leagues given that.

Pseudonymous* is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 04:37 PM
  #929
arsmaster*
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Getzlaf is a 6'4 220 lb titan who's obviously better suited for the NHL than a Ronning or a Schroeder.
Clearly you missed the point.

arsmaster* is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 04:38 PM
  #930
Pseudonymous*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Based on this, Ryan Getzlaf is doomed to never be better than Cliff Ronning.
You serious? Thats your response. I think people just look for arguments that aren't there

Almost all small players who really excel in the nhl dominate their lower leagues. This is fact. Tiranis thinks schroeder has looked as good as all those other past small nhl players to excel in the nhl. i do not. i think he'll be good and a decent 20 goal 2-3rd liner. I think he has much higher expectations

Considering the fact I know he'll respond no matter what i say, i could say hes no martin st louis and i know i got about 5 minutes until i have to hear from him about his ES ppg pace .. which goes to show me he has VERY high expectations

everyone has their own assessments of players though. only time will tell


Last edited by Pseudonymous*: 01-22-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Pseudonymous* is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 04:41 PM
  #931
tantalum
Registered User
 
tantalum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Missouri
Posts: 14,810
vCash: 500
Hmmm imagine that the praise heaped on Schroeder by AV and Gillis did mean they were going to call him right back up after a bit of further evaluation.

tantalum is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 04:59 PM
  #932
craigcaulks*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Based on this, Ryan Getzlaf is doomed to never be better than Cliff Ronning.
Getzlaf is garbage.

craigcaulks* is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 05:03 PM
  #933
Land O Lakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Schroeder's stats would be much more inflated if he played in the CHL. He potted 44 points as an accelerated freshman in the toughest conference in NCAA hockey (Bjugstad hasn't hit that mark yet and he's a junior), I think he would've faired alright. Instead he stuck it out another season with one of the worst Gopher teams in the past 20 years, broke the WJ points record for Americans, and has stuck it out in the AHL ever since. Schroeder is a set up man plain and simple. If he has a finisher, he generates offense. If he doesn't, his passes fumble over the tape of Billy Sweatt type players and he falls to a .5 PPG player. It's always been the case and always will be the case. He's a Bouchard with grit, which could be an interesting experiment in today's NHL.

Land O Lakes is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 05:08 PM
  #934
craigcaulks*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Van!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
If he has what it takes then he'll impress even in those limited minutes. Just like Kassian did on the Ebbett line which was also given 4th line ice-time.



Didn't say anything about Ronning, did I? Just quoted your post to continue the conversation about his NHL potential. But if you want me to weigh in on those stats. It was a very different time. You might remember a certain Taylor Hall who never even made it in the NHL after having 142 points at that level. WHL was VERY high-scoring back then.
The numbers aside, Ronning led the WHL in scoring with Noonan at his side. And he did it in Gretzky like fashion.

I don't remember a certain Taylor Hall actually. I miss those days, sniff.

craigcaulks* is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 05:35 PM
  #935
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 58,382
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
You serious? Thats your response. I think people just look for arguments that aren't there

Almost all small players who really excel in the nhl dominate their lower leagues. This is fact. Tiranis thinks schroeder has looked as good as all those other past small nhl players to excel in the nhl. i do not. i think he'll be good and a decent 20 goal 2-3rd liner. I think he has much higher expectations

Considering the fact I know he'll respond no matter what i say, i could say hes no martin st louis and i know i got about 5 minutes until i have to hear from him about his ES ppg pace .. which goes to show me he has VERY high expectations

everyone has their own assessments of players though. only time will tell
Yes I'm serious. If you're serious about comparing two players from completely different eras and their stats from two completely different leagues.

Here's something closer: At the same age Gionta put up 9 goals in 37 games in the AHL. This year Schroeder has put up 9 goals in 30 games.

y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 06:46 PM
  #936
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land O Lakes View Post
Schroeder's stats would be much more inflated if he played in the CHL. He potted 44 points as an accelerated freshman in the toughest conference in NCAA hockey (Bjugstad hasn't hit that mark yet and he's a junior), I think he would've faired alright. Instead he stuck it out another season with one of the worst Gopher teams in the past 20 years, broke the WJ points record for Americans, and has stuck it out in the AHL ever since. Schroeder is a set up man plain and simple. If he has a finisher, he generates offense. If he doesn't, his passes fumble over the tape of Billy Sweatt type players and he falls to a .5 PPG player. It's always been the case and always will be the case. He's a Bouchard with grit, which could be an interesting experiment in today's NHL.
This. Thank you for saying that. One of his faults is that he can still be too selfless at times when he should be using his (very good) wrist shot.

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 06:56 PM
  #937
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Not to mention Schroeder played a great WJC when he was barely 17, then came back and had 11 pts in 6 games and even then Bob McKenzie said when he was drafted he could have done better in that tournament.

He has talent, I think he's going to be a good NHLer.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 09:55 PM
  #938
GCM
Stork
 
GCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,042
vCash: 500
but can he score in the shootout?

GCM is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 10:29 PM
  #939
Outside99*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 500
Schroeder is deserving but he's also a rookie with zero NHL experience. I don't even know why posters are debating so much as we'll find out soon enough how NHL ready he is.

One thing for sure, those hyping this player aren't doing him any favors. He's a rookie and in all likelihood will struggle, as most do.

Is it better to develop a player like Schroeder than dress Ebbett, though? Absolutely. But don't expect too much.

Outside99* is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 10:44 PM
  #940
ZenMaster*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
San Jose looks primed to win a cup this year.

btw, Oilers suck.

ZenMaster* is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 11:10 PM
  #941
DennisReynolds
the implication
 
DennisReynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
San Jose looks primed to win a cup this year.

btw, Oilers suck.
They've been sayhing that for a long time and still no cup.

DennisReynolds is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 11:15 PM
  #942
Land O Lakes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Schroeder is deserving but he's also a rookie with zero NHL experience. I don't even know why posters are debating so much as we'll find out soon enough how NHL ready he is.

One thing for sure, those hyping this player aren't doing him any favors. He's a rookie and in all likelihood will struggle, as most do.

Is it better to develop a player like Schroeder than dress Ebbett, though? Absolutely. But don't expect too much.
I don't think anyone's saying he'll come running out the gates, but more that he's a prospect with loads of potential under the right circumstances.

Land O Lakes is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 11:18 PM
  #943
Scurr
Bear G
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Schroeder is deserving but he's also a rookie with zero NHL experience. I don't even know why posters are debating so much as we'll find out soon enough how NHL ready he is.

One thing for sure, those hyping this player aren't doing him any favors. He's a rookie and in all likelihood will struggle, as most do.

Is it better to develop a player like Schroeder than dress Ebbett, though? Absolutely. But don't expect too much.
Schroeder is better prepared than most prospects. The team wants to bring prospects along slowly but had to rush Hodgson to the NHL because of a team need. Kassian was kind of the same deal. Schroeder is the first guy to come along slowly like they've talked about. He's ready to play at this level imo.

Scurr is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 11:21 PM
  #944
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 23,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Schroeder is better prepared than most prospects. The team wants to bring prospects along slowly but had to rush Hodgson to the NHL because of a team need. Kassian was kind of the same deal. Schroeder is the first guy to come along slowly like they've talked about. He's ready to play at this level imo.
I don't know if Kassian was really rushed. I guess being in the NHL last year, but the lockout came at a good time to give him some more time in the AHL. Other than that, they're both the same age.

I agree about Hodgson though, he could've used another AHL year due to being set back by those back injuries. It would've improved his overall game.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 11:22 PM
  #945
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,380
vCash: 576
Schroeder need skilled players playing with him not some plug that he had playing with in the AHL someone like KAssasin and jensen would help him out........I wish we can see that line sometime......has WCE all over it

canuck4life16 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 11:29 PM
  #946
Scurr
Bear G
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't know if Kassian was really rushed. I guess being in the NHL last year, but the lockout came at a good time to give him some more time in the AHL. Other than that, they're both the same age.

I agree about Hodgson though, he could've used another AHL year due to being set back by those back injuries. It would've improved his overall game.
Kassian wasn't ready to play in the NHL last year imo. He wasn't in nearly good enough shape to keep up. I think the team made the right move with him so they could keep a close eye on him and have the pro's on the big club show him the way.

It's actually the 2011 season that I think the Canucks should have left Hodgson in the AHL. Had he not been needed to play 4th line duty he could have played big minutes in the A and rounded out his game a little more for last season.

Schroeder is a better player right now that Hodgson was this time last season imo. If Schroeder can get those same minutes with good players, I think he'll play well.

Scurr is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:01 AM
  #947
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Kassian wasn't ready to play in the NHL last year imo. He wasn't in nearly good enough shape to keep up. I think the team made the right move with him so they could keep a close eye on him and have the pro's on the big club show him the way.

It's actually the 2011 season that I think the Canucks should have left Hodgson in the AHL. Had he not been needed to play 4th line duty he could have played big minutes in the A and rounded out his game a little more for last season.

Schroeder is a better player right now that Hodgson was this time last season imo. If Schroeder can get those same minutes with good players, I think he'll play well.
I think it's very difficult to make a statement like that, personally.

If we're talking about AHL success up to this point, sure, but by all accounts, Hodgson improved dramatically over that offseason and looked the part in preseason (from my perspective). In my mind, it's impossible to tell if Schroeder is the better player at this point without getting a more extensive look at a preseason of some sort. You can only compare Schroeder's AHL play vs. Hodgson's preseason, which are two completely different things.

I'm just waiting to see how he plays tomorrow and crossing my fingers.

Shareefruck is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:01 AM
  #948
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,112
vCash: 500
If the rumours that Hodgson wanted out after the Stanley Cup Final were true, then it seems that time would have been running out for the Canucks to deal him before it got ugly. Still think he would have been become a great player here, had he been willing to learn and develop all areas of his game under the direction of Hank, Kes and Manny. But his dad made sure that was not to be...

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:17 AM
  #949
arsmaster*
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think it's very difficult to make a statement like that, personally.

If we're talking about AHL success up to this point, sure, but by all accounts, Hodgson improved dramatically over that offseason and looked the part in preseason (from my perspective). In my mind, it's impossible to tell if Schroeder is the better player at this point without getting a more extensive look at a preseason of some sort. You can only compare Schroeder's AHL play vs. Hodgson's preseason, which are two completely different things.

I'm just waiting to see how he plays tomorrow and crossing my fingers.
How about saying 'the evidence ie. production at the AHL level in the same system at the same stage of their development is similar and may favour Schroeder'.

That's my opinion anyways.

arsmaster* is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 AM
  #950
Yossarian54
Registered User
 
Yossarian54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Has he been recalled? Vandermeer was waived ~24 hours ago no?

Yossarian54 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.