HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 04:41 PM
mossey3535

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Should Detroit stop drafting? They haven't had a guy make their team since 2007. Nyquist was just sent down and he was drafted in 08, and his original draft was 07.
Yeah but Detroit has done a great job with late draft picks which has a little to do with luck, and the players who succeed play FOREVER.

For example, what is our equivalent of Maltby Draper? A stable 3/4 line combo for a decade? Of course guys can't make that team. And we're not even talking about Zetterberg and whatnot here.

I think Detroit is a good organization but you can afford to be super conservative about player development when you have the kind of guys they have on their team.

Anyways, the canucks cannot blindly follow 'the Detroit model' because we just don't have the luxury of doing that. Our bottom lines never seem set, and they haven't since 2006 at least.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I hope Schroeder asks for a trade. He deserves better and probably would be a decent player in the NHL by now if not for the Canucks fickle development system.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:42 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I hope Schroeder asks for a trade. He deserves better and probably would be a decent player in the NHL by now if not for the Canucks fickle development system.
You're being too over-dramatic.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:43 PM
NonBruinHatingCanuck

count me in on as one of the disappointed people. I don't know what to think anymore... So disappointing all these other teams get to see their young guys drafter from 2012 and 2011 but our 2009 draftee we can't even see..

Old
01-18-2013, 04:43 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
And if he doesn't I fully expect him to bolt to the Wild as soon as his ELC is up.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:44 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
And if he doesn't I fully expect him to bolt to the Wild as soon as his ELC is up.
Lol.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:44 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Canucks: Spend 200$ on a seat for our exciting product. We locked out the players and held the fans hostage, but we're rewarding you with watching journeyman forward Andrew Ebbett center our 2nd line.
Quote:
Okay guys...no need to get all emo. Jeez

Old
01-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Looks like you've found your next Luongo

Wouldn't be surprised if this is just for a day or 2. People are over reacting.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:46 PM
mossey3535

If I was Lappy, I would be pissed if Ebbett gets the 2nd line.

Especially after he showed he could be effective last year with Hank. Hasn't Lappy 'earned' a shot at 2C more than a guy who played 18 games for the team in total?

I guess it didn't count for the playoffs versus the Kings, so why would it count now?

Bah. I understand the cap reasons and the opening day roster sets the precedent for personnel (they did this last year too if anyone remembers).

Still, bah. Just feels like the same old BS idiotic personnel moves.

Is Ebbett going to be this year's Rome? lol.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
I just think it is a poor idea to ice the apparent "second line" we look to be putting out there. It blatantly sucks and has limited upside. At least with Schroeder there was a chance you might see a pivot emerge who could actually be classified as a top-six centre.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
mossey, I truly believe Hansen is our Draper.

Gillis is doing this Detroit thing now, and I think that is the right way to do it. I'm sure that Detroit made lots of moves akin to this one. I have strong faith in the Gillis regime and it's well-earned. I strongly believe Schroeder will be back with us this season at some point, he's too good not to.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:47 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would be curious to hear your explanation or give examples of how this "fickle" system has hampered the development of prospects in the Canucks system. I mean, aside from developing nearly our entire core, what exactly has our development system done that is so awful?

I can provide a pretty lengthy list of development successes, what are all these abject failures that you keep speaking of?

Old
01-18-2013, 04:48 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
He's just being ironic! It's he-who-shall-not-be-named all over again! Or at least that's what I hope y2k meant lol...

Old
Alan Jackson

I don't see why anybody is the least bit shocked.

Veteran AHL journeyman vs skilled, unproven rookie. Consider our coach. Schroeder never had a chance.

Even if this is a temporary "accounting" move, I don't anticipate a player like Schroeder will be given any meaningful chance to succeed here in the near future.

If he can't play when our other centres are Ebbet, Lapierre and Malhotra...well, what chance does he have, especially when Kesler returns?

Old
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Looks like you've found your next Luongo

Wouldn't be surprised if this is just for a day or 2. People are over reacting.
People are over-reacting? Have you been in the "is our window closing?" thread. This is small dice.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:50 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
I don't see why anybody is the least bit shocked.

Veteran AHL journeyman vs skilled, unproven rookie. Consider our coach. Schroeder never had a chance.

Even if this is a temporary "accounting" move, I don't anticipate a player like Schroeder will be given any meaningful chance to succeed here in the near future.

If he can't play when our other centres are Ebbet, Lapierre and Malhotra...well, what chance does he have, especially when Kesler returns?
Clearly AV is just lying about liking Schroeder and his play. So much drama. Good god.

Old
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

The only thing I don't get is why they need 9 d-men (3 in the pressbox!)...

Old
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I would be curious to hear your explanation or give examples of how this "fickle" system has hampered the development of prospects in the Canucks system. I mean, aside from developing nearly our entire core, what exactly has our development system done that is so awful?

I can provide a pretty lengthy list of development successes, what are all these abject failures that you keep speaking of?
He's still upset because Brandon Reid wasn't given the chance to become Vancouver's second line centre.

I'm not even kidding here.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:51 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
mossey, I truly believe Hansen is our Draper.

Gillis is doing this Detroit thing now, and I think that is the right way to do it. I'm sure that Detroit made lots of moves akin to this one. I have strong faith in the Gillis regime and it's well-earned. I strongly believe Schroeder will be back with us this season at some point, he's too good not to.
I certainly hope we can all look back someday and say that's true. But for now it's not. It just might be.

My point is that the 'Detroit system' looks good in retrospect because they had so many guys 'pan out' and exceed expectations.

To go on with the Draper comparison, then who is Hansen's Maltby?

We're just not as deep and more importantly STABLE of an organization to be really leery of developing our forward prospects.

Old
SixThrees
Om nom nom

vCash: 82
Really hoping this is just temporary.

Old
KidCanuck*
HORS∃Y

Quote:
He will be back up by next weekend. Either Tanev will go down if AV likes what he sees out of Vandermeer or Barker. Or Vandermeer or Volpatti will be put on waivers. Can always sign these type of guys and we have Pinnizzotto down there for depth in that area too.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
He will be back up by next weekend. Either Tanev will go down if AV likes what he sees out of Vandermeer or Barker. Or Vandermeer or Volpatti will be put on waivers. Can always sign these type of guys and we have Pinnizzotto down there for depth in that area too.
Did you just suggest Barker or Vandermeer over Tanev?

I don't even...

Old
Free Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
He's still upset because Brandon Reid wasn't given the chance to become Vancouver's second line centre.

I'm not even kidding here.
In a related note, Tesla was robbed and David Lee Roth never should have quit Van Halen.

Old
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Clearly AV is just lying about liking Schroeder and his play. So much drama. Good god.
We'll see.

Old
ddawg1950

Someone should be fired.

I suggest the guy who runs the morning shift at the Airport Starbucks.

Closed Thread