HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
You have to look at the off ice stuff too. As I said earlier in this thread, Schroeder would have had to have performed at a much higher level than Ebbett to avoid Chicago. He didn't and here we are. Not that he didn't look as good, but for the Canucks to surrender their depth, he would really have to turn some heads. This is the easiest way to evaluate things.

We're not talking about Jonathan Huberdeau or Alex Galchenyuk here, Schroeder is still a pretty marginal prospect at this point. It's not that Vigneault hates young players (I hope people can see how ridiculous this is, and it's not all Vigneault's choice either).

Schroeder will not ask for a trade, the sky is not falling, he'll get his shot when the time is right. Probably won't be long.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Hoping to see Schroeder up this weekend, or by the latest, in time for Wednesday's game...

Old
01-18-2013, 03:55 PM
CCF
This is the year....

We have a lot of dmen right now.....wouldn't it have made sense to make a decision on Vandemeer or Barker, as to which should remain up? Heck, maybe both of them should be sent down given that they are #8 and #9 on the depth chart...

Old
Nuckles
Bim Jenning

vCash: 50
I'm very unhappy about this.
Schroeder looked so good with Raymond in the scrimmage last night.

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Old
croatNUCKS

What is next? Maybe,Joe Cannata will starts tomorow

Old
01-18-2013, 03:56 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Oh ew I never even considered the fact that now we get bad Mason Raymond again ><

Old
01-18-2013, 03:56 PM
coastal_nuck

Disappointing is one way of putting it. AV says he's all about giving players the opportunity to prove to him that they can play. I'm not sure what Schroeder did that was contradictory to that. He played better than Ebbett during the scrimmages and throughout this entire training camp.

If Ebbett turns out to be this season's Rome... this is beyond mind boggling.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:57 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Yeah, not really looking forward to seeing the guy who looks like he's homeless center our second line tomorrow night.

Hopefully Shroeder will be back sooner than later.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:57 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
We have a lot of dmen right now.....wouldn't it have made sense to make a decision on Vandemeer or Barker, as to which should remain up? Heck, maybe both of them should be sent down given that they are #8 and #9 on the depth chart...
They likely didn't want to expose them to waivers at this point, while other teams are still filling out their roster holes. Considering how many defensemen the Canucks usually go through in a normal season, and then that this is a lockout season and the vast majority of the Canucks defensemen haven't played since the spring, I think it's at least understandable.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Clearly AV is just lying about liking Schroeder and his play. So much drama. Good god.
AV can like Schroeder's play and still not give him much of an opportunity here. Once Kesler is back Schroeder doesn't really fit AV's "prototypical" 3rd line center. If Hodgson and Wellwood weren't AV's flavor in the bottom 6, I doubt Schroeder is going to see a long term fit there either...and as long as we have Henrik and Kesler manning the 1-2 spots it doesn't bode well for him in Vancouver IMO.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Elbows of Bure

I don't know how anyone is blaming AV for this, when it is clearly a Gilman move to make the Nucks roster compliant.

And to those who say that Kassian should be down before Schroeder, perhaps; but Kassian + Ebbett at center is better than Schroeder + Ebbett on the wing.

Schroeder has probably been talked to by someone in management. He will be fine.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
They likely didn't want to expose them to waivers at this point, while other teams are still filling out their roster holes. Considering how many defensemen the Canucks usually go through in a normal season, and then that this is a lockout season and the vast majority of the Canucks defensemen haven't played since the spring, I think it's at least understandable.
We'll have to see. This would be so much easier if we knew if Schroeder is actually flying out to Chicago or not.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:00 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I would be curious to hear your explanation or give examples of how this "fickle" system has hampered the development of prospects in the Canucks system. I mean, aside from developing nearly our entire core, what exactly has our development system done that is so awful?

I can provide a pretty lengthy list of development successes, what are all these abject failures that you keep speaking of?
I think our development record is up for debate.

We seem to do better bringing along late-draft defencemen and goalies.

The only 1st round draft choices that we've really given a significant role to is....nobody. Well now that we got rid of he-who-shall-not-be-named-because-he-hijacks-threads it's nobody.

Kesler is an '03 draft, Schneider '04, Bourdon '05. That means we basically haven't given a shot to or had a 1st-rounder pan out in 7 years.

I understand that drafting is an art, but to say we've done a great job developing young talent is naieve.

We can get a sleeper (Raymond) to be decent. We can get a guy like Hansen to be 3W. But as much as I like MayRay if he's lucky he'll scored 20 goals a year going forward. If we're unlucky, last year wasn't due to his injury.

Where is the rest of our home-grown talent up front?

Old
01-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
I think our development record is up for debate.

We seem to do better bringing along late-draft defencemen and goalies.

The only 1st round draft choices that we've really given a significant role to is....nobody. Well now that we got rid of he-who-shall-not-be-named-because-he-hijacks-threads it's nobody.

Kesler is an '03 draft, Schneider '04, Bourdon '05. That means we basically haven't given a shot to or had a 1st-rounder pan out in 7 years.

I understand that drafting is an art, but to say we've done a great job developing young talent is naieve.

We can get a sleeper (Raymond) to be decent. We can get a guy like Hansen to be 3W. But as much as I like MayRay if he's lucky he'll scored 20 goals a year going forward. If we're unlucky, last year wasn't due to his injury.

Where is the rest of our home-grown talent up front?
Grabner was developed and traded for Ballard in a move to improve the Top 4.

Patrick White was a horrible pick.

Hodgson was developed and traded for a highly valued PWF prospect in Kassian. Looked to be on his way to being a half-decent #2C at some point in his career.

Schroeder is being developed just as he should be and will soon enough be a Canuck.

No draft pick 2010.

Jensen is excelling.

What exactly is your issue with our 1st rounders again?

Old
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
We'll have to see. This would be so much easier if we knew if Schroeder is actually flying out to Chicago or not.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him down there for at least a little bit until they make decisions about what to do to clear space. That said, I also wouldn't be surprised to see things shuffle around tomorrow. Who knows?

But I think it's pretty clear that they would have liked to have kept him on the team to start. If they were simply cutting him, they'd have sent him down with the rest of the cuts. It's not like they were evaluating him further today, and then just made a decision now.

I mean, unless it comes out that they spent all day today making him do a math test or arm wrestling Ebbett or something.

Old
me2
Seahawks 43

Call me this time meet week and I'll hey the roster is sorted.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:04 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
AV can like Schroeder's play and still not give him much of an opportunity here. Once Kesler is back Schroeder doesn't really fit AV's "prototypical" 3rd line center. If Hodgson and Wellwood weren't AV's flavor in the bottom 6, I doubt Schroeder is going to see a long term fit there either...and as long as we have Henrik and Kesler manning the 1-2 spots it doesn't bode well for him in Vancouver IMO.
Wasn't that because Hodgson wanted a bigger role? Creating a shutdown third line (or whatever it was supposed to be with Pahlsson centering it) doesn't really work out for us because the Canucks already have a lot of trouble scoring in the playoffs. We need some sort of offense from the third line.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:05 PM
vanwest

It looks like the decisions were pretty well made before training camp. I guess this is to be expected in a lockout year where the prospects like Schroeder don't really get a fair chance to show what they can do. Too bad. I hope he gets a call up soon.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
The only 1st round draft choices that we've really given a significant role to is....nobody.
Technically true but look at in context.

Gillis' first round picks:

1) He who shall remain nameless
2) Schroeder

Irrevelant for anybody after those two as it's FAR too early to make judgements on players (we didn't have a 2010 pick).

Guys drafted before Gillis was GM but after Kesler:

1) Schneider (guess who the starting goalie is...)
2) Bourdon ......
3) Grabner (even the guy that drafted him didn't want him for free)
4) Garbage

Old
01-18-2013, 04:06 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Exactly. Look at who has failed to even make the 3rd line while they were here - why not Grabner? Remember, I am talking 3rd line here, not even 2C like we are now. AV has his preferences for the forwards and they're pretty clear.

I'm just diametrically opposed to AV's thinking, no big deal.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
It looks like the decisions were pretty well made before training camp. I guess this is to be expected in a lockout year where the prospects like Schroeder don't really get a fair chance to show what they can do. Too bad. I hope he gets a call up soon.
If the decision was made before training camp then they wouldn't have him sticking around Vancouver the whole day when he could be flying to Chicago to play with the Wolves.

Old
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
How can you say this? If they wanted to cut him, he'd have been cut with the other Wolves-bound players. Everything they have said and done indicates that they were trying to figure out how to make room for him safely, and didn't feel that they could at the moment, and will hope to bring him back once it's safely possible.

Old
LeftCoast

In all likelyhood, Schroeder will be called up very shortly. This is a cap space move.

Old
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
I don't know how anyone is blaming AV for this, when it is clearly a Gilman move to make the Nucks roster compliant.

And to those who say that Kassian should be down before Schroeder, perhaps; but Kassian + Ebbett at center is better than Schroeder + Ebbett on the wing.

Schroeder has probably been talked to by someone in management. He will be fine.
Sums up my feelings, pretty much. I'm not happy about the fact that Schroeder has to go down after performing so well, but it's a numbers game at this point, and I'm sure he's been made aware of that.

I would love to know when we can expect him back up, though.

Oh, I found this Tweet LOL-worthy:

Quote:
Pass it to Bulis‏@passittobulis
"Don't get on that plane, Jordan!" "Why, have I made the team?" "No, we just wanted you to miss it. Get on THAT plane."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Old
01-18-2013, 04:09 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
If the decision was made before training camp then they wouldn't have him sticking around Vancouver the whole day when he could be flying to Chicago to play with the Wolves.
No, no. They did it because they're trying to stick it to him by making him miss AHL games, too. They also threw his shoes on the roof.

Closed Thread