HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Mikhail Grigorenko Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 07:51 PM
  #351
ottsabrefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: kanata, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yes, CHL prospects can play in the AHL after their season is over.
But he can't play in Rochester next year. And likely Quebec would outplay Rochester this year anyways.

ottsabrefan is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 07:53 PM
  #352
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I think he has looked better with each game but we will see.
It's so hard with only 5 games to make a decision, most Montreal fans felt like it was 50/50 with Galchenyuk too but he just had a great game tonight and now has 3 points in 4 games and now everyone is praising him. - Also an 18 year old center

Fire Lindy is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:01 PM
  #353
Girgenburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
It all depends how Ruff views him. It really just isn't fair for him not to be playing, or playing on the 4th line for that matter. I truly do believe he's earned his spot here, but if Ruff's going to use him like that, just send the kid back. If he's going to shoot down his confidence like he did Adam, send him back. I almost want him to be sent back so Ruff can't influence him right now.

Quite frankly, he's nowhere near our worst forward right now. I'd put Vanek, Pominville, Ott, and to an extent Hodgson ahead of him. Nobody else.

Girgenburger is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:03 PM
  #354
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
It all depends how Ruff views him. It really just isn't fair for him not to be playing, or playing on the 4th line for that matter. I truly do believe he's earned his spot here, but if Ruff's going to use him like that, just send the kid back. If he's going to shoot down his confidence like he did Adam, send him back.

Quite frankly, he's not our worst forward right now. I'd put Vanek, Pominville, Ott, and to an extent Hodgson ahead of him. Nobody else.
He was only really misused in game 4, I haven't had much of a problem with how Ruff has played him other than that debacle. A complete waste of a game, we've really only seen him in 4 games..I'm not going to count playing 6 minutes, half of those with Scott as a game for him.

So we are forced to evaluate him in just 4 games, which is tough to do..if we were to evaluate the entire team in these 4 games, I'd want half the team sent down..

Fire Lindy is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:06 PM
  #355
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
But he can't play in Rochester next year. And likely Quebec would outplay Rochester this year anyways.
It depends.
The Q regular season ends in mid March, while the AHL regular season finishes closer to the end of April.

I'm not sure how far the Remparts will go this year just yet.
They've had some difficulties so far, as players have gone in and out of the lineup with injury and they've had bunches of junior AAA players in their lineup at times.
I've seen the season described as one long training camp by some.
If they galvanize once they finally get everyone back, they'll be a team to reckoned with.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:07 PM
  #356
Girgenburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
He was only really misused in game 4, I haven't had much of a problem with how Ruff has played him other than that debacle. A complete waste of a game, we've really only seen him in 4 games..I'm not going to count playing 6 minutes, half of those with Scott as a game for him.
I should've clarified that I was referring to the game against the Canes. But I see a lot more of that coming if he sticks around, and that's not good for him. I like what Ruff did with him today, and I think he needs to keep doing that. Instilling that confidence in him might push him.

Girgenburger is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:14 PM
  #357
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,149
vCash: 500
Yeah, Grigs needs to be with other skill and shooter guys.

Silence Of The Plams is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 08:27 PM
  #358
Grinder44
Registered User
 
Grinder44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 162
vCash: 500
I'm trying to figure out what Darcy's plan was for the center position this season if Grigs wasn't ready and Hecht hadn't happened to show he was healthy in DE before the delayed season began. Hodgson and Ennis and... Ellis were the plan? Really? And if they send the kid down and Hecht gets hurt again that's still currently the Sabres' plan at center for the season? Sometimes you gotta wonder about this front office. Seems like now might be a good time to package a D-man in return for an experienced center, eh?

Grinder44 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:04 PM
  #359
Fire Lindy
Trust the System
 
Fire Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,842
vCash: 500
Listening to Darcy during the post-game..I have the feeling he is staying, I'd guess we will find out tomorrow.

Fire Lindy is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 09:32 PM
  #360
ottsabrefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: kanata, ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
It depends.
The Q regular season ends in mid March, while the AHL regular season finishes closer to the end of April.

I'm not sure how far the Remparts will go this year just yet.
They've had some difficulties so far, as players have gone in and out of the lineup with injury and they've had bunches of junior AAA players in their lineup at times.
I've seen the season described as one long training camp by some.
If they galvanize once they finally get everyone back, they'll be a team to reckoned with.
I expect with a full lineup and the games meaning something they will be a scary team. Obviously, you never know in the playoffs but I wouldn't be suprised to see them come out of the Q. I think if he does make it to Rochester, my guess is that he gets in less games than he did with the Sabres (I'm sure Amerks fans won't like me here!).

ottsabrefan is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 10:10 PM
  #361
kirby11
Registered User
 
kirby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder44 View Post
I'm trying to figure out what Darcy's plan was for the center position this season if Grigs wasn't ready and Hecht hadn't happened to show he was healthy in DE before the delayed season began. Hodgson and Ennis and... Ellis were the plan? Really? And if they send the kid down and Hecht gets hurt again that's still currently the Sabres' plan at center for the season? Sometimes you gotta wonder about this front office. Seems like now might be a good time to package a D-man in return for an experienced center, eh?
not gonna happen...I think darcy will always keep too many dmen now after the 05-06 ECF disaster. It's really unfortunate that mcnabb has sucked royally in rochester this year and weber sucked last year..otherwise i'd have no qualms about packaging one of them or maybe even leo for a decent vet 3/4C.
In regards to grigs, I think they need to keep him up for the simple fact of our offensive depth, esp. at center, is god awful. Hope he sees a bit more time and feels more comfortable knowing he's past the "tryout" stage if he sticks. He needs to start using his shot more though, he's forcing too many passes IMO

kirby11 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 10:23 PM
  #362
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
I expect with a full lineup and the games meaning something they will be a scary team. Obviously, you never know in the playoffs but I wouldn't be suprised to see them come out of the Q. I think if he does make it to Rochester, my guess is that he gets in less games than he did with the Sabres (I'm sure Amerks fans won't like me here!).
If they do come out of the Q, it will be because of Grigorenko and he'll have a chance to prove himself as a winner.

If they don't, he'll be able to go back to Buffalo or play with Rochester.

That's if they don't keep him.

SergeConstantin74 is online now  
Old
01-27-2013, 11:01 PM
  #363
Bure
Registered User
 
Bure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,136
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
If they do come out of the Q, it will be because of Grigorenko and he'll have a chance to prove himself as a winner.

If they don't, he'll be able to go back to Buffalo or play with Rochester.

That's if they don't keep him.
If he does get sent down, it would be cool for him to bring home a mem cup for you guys. It wouldn't be the end of the world since Quebec is a contender.

Bure is online now  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:30 AM
  #364
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,172
vCash: 500
Hab fan here. So how has Grigorenko looked so far? Any work ethic issues?

The gist I get is he hasn't exactly had a chance to shine. I assumed that Grigorenko would've started better than Galchenyuk would based on their respective play in the WJCs. Grigs didn't look lazy at all. Either way you guys got a hell of a pick for a 12th overall.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:51 AM
  #365
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
Hab fan here. So how has Grigorenko looked so far? Any work ethic issues?
His work ethic is exemplary, if anything. As is his effort defensively.

Whether he is ready to fully contribute offensively remains to be seen, but the talent is definitely there.

Corto is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 03:59 AM
  #366
wunderpanda
Sabretage
 
wunderpanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 500
I hope he stays up for the season, he just needs the chemistry/familiarity with the rest of the team. He tries to get involved in plays but seems unsure of where others are setting up, like Ehrhoff last season. He's too good for juniors at this point anyway.

wunderpanda is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 06:55 AM
  #367
captaincrunch89
Registered User
 
captaincrunch89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Tonawanda
Posts: 558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
I hope he stays up for the season, he just needs the chemistry/familiarity with the rest of the team. He tries to get involved in plays but seems unsure of where others are setting up, like Ehrhoff last season. He's too good for juniors at this point anyway.
Agreed, I feel like a lack of a true training camp+preseason really hurt his chemistry with the other guys. That's why it's so unfortunate that the limit on games is 5, if anything I feel like it should be more than that. I know that it's because of the shortened season but for an 18 year old to be expected to pick up his linemates' tendencies that quickly is a little unrealistic. I say keep him, he started to look way more comfortable in the offensive zone yesterday and I think he's about to start hitting his stride.

captaincrunch89 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 07:34 AM
  #368
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,091
vCash: 50
If we were better situated down the middle, I think he'd be sent back. But we're not, so he'll stay. I don't really have a problem with it, frankly. But he has to get opportunity to make it worthwhile. I'm not going to demand he get 18-20 mins/game with top players like some do, but he needs to play a decent amount 10-14 mins/game, and play with offensively competent players fairly regularly.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 07:39 AM
  #369
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,020
vCash: 500
He works hard. He fits in. He's playing better than others on the roster.

The points will come. He stays.

SackTastic is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:25 AM
  #370
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,201
vCash: 500
If it were up to me, I'd send him back. He just hasn't produced, even though I think that falls more on the shoulders of the overall state of the team and lack of chemistry (not having Leino hurts him badly IMO).

He also needs to work on his skating. He looks like Hodgson did last year, just not quick at all. Whatever Cody did, go do that Grigo.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:32 AM
  #371
DixonWard15
Registered User
 
DixonWard15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
if he is skating on a line with Jon Scott at any point for the rest of the season, ruff should be fired on the spot

DixonWard15 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:34 AM
  #372
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
If it were up to me, I'd send him back. He just hasn't produced, even though I think that falls more on the shoulders of the overall state of the team and lack of chemistry (not having Leino hurts him badly IMO).

He also needs to work on his skating. He looks like Hodgson did last year, just not quick at all. Whatever Cody did, go do that Grigo.
I'll refer you to Steven Stamkos' first 7 games as an 18 year old, where he also produced 0 points and was -2.

I'm not saying that Grigs is Stamkos, but you need to look at more than just just stat line.

SackTastic is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 08:37 AM
  #373
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,091
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
if he is skating on a line with Jon Scott at any point for the rest of the season, ruff should be fired on the spot
It may happen if he continues taking shifts that are too long, like yesterday.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:03 AM
  #374
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I'll refer you to Steven Stamkos' first 7 games as an 18 year old, where he also produced 0 points and was -2.

I'm not saying that Grigs is Stamkos, but you need to look at more than just just stat line.
I really don't think you can make that comparison. I mean all that really says is "it HAS happened before in this league", but people have scored 92 goals in this league before, but I wouldn't use that to base any arguments on.

I'm not talk solely points, he's just created little to no chances, for himself or other teammates. He looks tentative and slow, not to mention Grigo is the type of guy who needs to play with other skilled players, not plugs. His linemates this year just can't think the game like Grigo is, which means they have no chemistry and therefore no production.

I also just want him the hell away from Ruff and this team. The whole team is play like crap outside of a few guys.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 09:07 AM
  #375
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 6,659
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
He doesn't like to go into the corners. At all. Less than Tim Connolly.

I don't need him to be here. I wish he could spend time in the AHL learning to compete with adults before being full time here.

stokes84 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.